About the Olympus Tough Series TG-2 iHS
Great shots on land and underwater
Great shots on land and underwater
Don't let wet weather, cold temperatures, or dirt and mud keep you from capturing great-looking pictures. The Olympus TG-2 iHS can take it all and still deliver detailed photos when conditions prove challenging to less-rugged cameras. Waterproof to depths of 50 feet, this sporty point-and-shoot is ideal not just for snapshots in the rain but for gorgeous underwater photos while snorkeling in tropical locales. Even in poor light, the TG-2's f/2.0 lens and backlit CMOS sensor ensure your photos show plenty of detail with minimal noise. There's also an LED illuminator and four underwater shooting modes, perfect for close-ups of fish and other sea-dwelling subjects.
Great action shots and HD video
The TG-2's nimble f/2.0 lens is also great for shooting fast-moving action, like skiers zooming down the slopes or mountain bikers descending a tree-lined trail. Grab time-freezing stills at the frenetic rate of 5 frames per second. Or shoot crystal-clear 1080p hi-def video for playback on an HDTV via the TG-2's micro HDMI output. Image stabilization helps prevent shaky hands from ruining your photos and video. And the TG-2's TruePic™ VI processor and array of creative features and scene modes make it as great for candid shots around the house as it is for documenting adventures in extreme conditions.
Track your adventures with on-board GPS
Want to keep track of all the various locales you've photographed? No problem. The TG-2's built-in GPS records location and landmark information with each photo you take, so you'll never be left wondering which lake you were swimming in when you took that great underwater shot. You can also record elevation levels and water depth, so you'll know exactly how high and how low you go. A warning notice alerts you when you're approaching depths of 50 feet, so you'll know to keep your camera from going too deep.
Expand your range with add-on lenses
As versatile as the TG-2 is, you can expand its capabilities even further. An optional adapter allows you to add Olympus's teleconverter or fisheye converter lenses, for more powerful zoom or more dramatic wide-angle shots. That's an impressive feature for any compact digital camera, especially a tough-style camera like this. The converter lenses are only waterproof to depths of 40 feet.
- 12-megapixel effective recording CMOS sensor
- 3" OLED screen (610,000 dots)
- 4X optical zoom (2X digital zoom)
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 25-100mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- waterproof to depths of 50 feet
- f/2.0 lens for freezing fast action and low-light shooting
- shockproof up to 7 feet
- freezeproof to 14° F
- crushproof for up to 220 lbs. of pressure
- built-in GPS records location and landmark information with photos
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- aperture priority mode allows manual aperture adjustment
- burst shooting mode fires off 5 frames per second for up to 25 shots at full resolution
- 34 scene modes, including beauty mode for improved portraits and 4 underwater shooting modes
- 11 Magic Art effects filters for unique stylized stills and video
- expandable for use with optional lenses (lens adapter required)
- sensor shift image stabilization minimizes blur from shaky hands
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface
- 4-9/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 1-1/4"D
- weight (with battery): 8.1 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lithium-ion rechargeable battery and AC charging adapter
- USB cable
- 2 lens mount rings (black and red)
- software CD-ROM
- MFR # V104120BU000
What's in the box:
- Digital camera (black)
- Red lens ring (installed)
- Black lens ring
- LI-90B Lithium-Ion battery (3.6V/1270mAh)
- F-2AC-1B AC adapter (5V/500mA)
- Adjustable neck strap (red)
- 27" USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on the other end)
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty card
- Maintaining Water Resistance booklet
- Accessory lens promo card
Olympus Tough Series TG-2 iHS reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Olympus Tough Series TG-2 iHS
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3" OLED|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-100mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||3968 x 2976|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Rugged Design: The Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS is a rugged camera, designed for adventurous photographers. The camera uses a durable double-layer polycarbonate resin construction with a metal frame, and is built to the following standards:
- Shockproof: designed to withstand a 6.8-foot fall, drop or other mishap (MIL-STD-810F standard)
- Waterproof: innovative waterproof seals and gaskets allow you to take underwater movies and pictures in the pool, lake, or ocean, up to 50-foot depths for one hour (IEC Standard Publication 529 IPX8)
- Dustproof: dustproof to an IEC standard 529 IP6X
- Crushproof: can withstand up to 220 pounds of pressure
- Freezeproof: camera can withstand temperature extremes down to 14° F (MIL-STD-810F standard)
Double Lock Mechanisms: The battery compartment and connector cover doors both have double lock mechanisms to prevent accidental exposure to moisture and dust. Rubberized seals on the doors help make the compartments watertight to protect the battery, memory card, and connector contacts.
Optics: The TG-2 iHS is equipped with an ultra-bright F2.0-4.9 lens to let you capture shots in low light or situations when a flash cannot be used. The 4x optical zoom lens has a focal length of 4.5-18.0mm (equivalent to 25-100mm in 35mm photography). Combined with the 2x Super Resolution zoom, the total zoom capability is 8x. The lens has a water-repellent coating that keeps water from remaining on the lens surface and affecting your photos.
Optional Teleconverters: The TG-2 can be used with two optional conversion lenses: the TCON-T01 Tele converter, and the FCON-T01 Fisheye converter. The 1.7x TCON-T01 converter extends the camera's optical zoom to nearly 7x for better closeup shots. The 0.74x FCON-T01 converter lets you take wide-angle panoramic shots while maintaining the brightness of the F2.0 lens. Both conversion lenses require the CLA-T01 adapter, which provides a screw-on thread for mounting the converters to the camera. (The camera's lens ring must first be removed before attaching the adapter ring.)
Note: Slight vignetting may occur with the TCON-T01 telephoto conversion lens. This can be alleviated by zooming in slightly.
OLED Monitor: The camera is equipped with a 3.0" high-resolution OLED monitor with approximately 610,000 dots. The monitor features several protective coatings to reduce glare and to prevent scratches. The TG-2 offers a 5-level monitor brightness adjustment in the menu, and lets you temporarily brighten the monitor by holding the OK button for 2 seconds. Like the lens, the monitor has a water-repellent coating so you can compose your shots in wet conditions.
iHS: iHS technology is a combination of the high-sensitivity, high-speed 1/2.3" 12MP backlit CMOS sensor and the exceptionally fast TruePic VI image processor. The result is fast auto focusing, an enhanced iAuto shooting mode that recognizes multiple scenes and subjects, and 2x Super Resolution Zoom that lets you zoom in farther than the optical zoom without degrading the image.
GPS: The TG-2 has a built-in GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver, which can record location information onto your photos and movies. Using applications such as Google Earth or Picasa, you can view the location of your photos on a map. The logging function lets you track the route taken on your adventure.
Recording Media: The Olympus Tough TG-2 digital camera records still images or movies onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory Cards. For test images, or when the memory card becomes full, you can shoot a small number of images onto the camera's internal memory. Still images are recorded in JPEG format. Movies are recorded in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 with sound. Hi-speed movies are recorded in Motion JPEG format.
FlashAir: The TG-2 is compatible with commercially available FlashAir cards. These cards have a Wireless LAN function to enable you to connect the camera to a Wi-Fi-enabled smartphone or PC to view or import images from the card.
Dual Image Stabilization: The camera combines Sensor-shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds, so you can capture sharp, blur-free images, even if your subject is moving.
Focusing Range: The focus range for the normal shooting mode is 0.1m (3.96") to infinity. In the Super Macro mode, you can record images from as close as 1 centimeter away.
White Balance: The Tough TG-2 offers the following White Balance presets: Auto, Sunny, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, and Underwater. You can also set and store a custom white balance based on an actual scene.
LED Illuminator: The camera has a built-in LED illuminator that can assist in Auto Focusing, or illuminate the scene in closeup situations. It can be turned on or off manually in the menu, or set to automatically illuminate when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
Flash: The camera's built-in flash operates in the following modes:
- Flash Auto: The flash fires automatically in low light or backlight conditions.
- Red-eye Reduction Flash: This emits pre-flashes for red-eye reduction.
- Fill-in Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
- Remote Control/Slave: The camera can be used to control a compatible Olympus Wireless RC Flash (Remote Control), or a commercially-available slave flash (Slave)
- LED On: Turns on the LED illuminator for close up images.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
Self-Timer: You can take pictures of yourself using the 12-second built-in self timer. The 2-second self-timer also aids in preventing camera shake.
Power Requirements: The Tough TG-2 operates on an LI-90B rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. An AC adapter (F-2AC-1B) is supplied to charge the LI-90B in the camera or operate the camera on AC power. The camera can take up to approximately 350 photos with fully charged battery. Charging time is approximately 4 hours. The camera can also charge while it is connected to a computer via USB.
Note: The LI-90B battery can be inserted in either direction. You must make sure the contacts line up properly before inserting the battery.
Resolution: Several recording settings are available for still pictures and video:
- Still Pictures:
- Image Size: 12M (3968 x 2976*), 8M (3200 x 2400), 3M (1920 x 1440), VGA (640 x 480)
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, 1:1
- Compression: Fine or Normal
- Image Size: 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, 640 x 480
- Audio: With sound or Without Sound
* Image resolution figures shown are when the aspect ratio is 4:3.
Shooting Modes: The rear-mounted Mode Dial lets you choose between several shooting modes:
- Program: The camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture, but allows you to make changes to a wide range of other settings, such as exposure compensation, white balance, etc.
- iAuto: The camera automatically selects the optimal shooting mode for the scene.
- Super Macro: Images can be taken from up to 1cm away from the subject.
- Scene: Lets you select from the following pre-programmed settings: Portrait, Beauty, Landscape, Hand-held Starlight, Night Scene, Night+Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Self Portrait, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Documents, Beach & Snow, Underwater Snapshot, Underwater Wide 1 and 2, Underwater Macro, Pet Mode-Cat, Pet Mode-Dog, Snow, Panorama, and Backlight HDR.
- Aperture: When an aperture value is set, the camera automatically sets an appropriate shutter speed.
- Magic: Lets you add special effects, such as Pop Art, Pin Hole, Fish Eye, Soft Focus, Punk, Sparkle, Watercolor, Reflection, Miniature, Fragmented, and Dramatic.
- C1/C2: These modes are for saving custom settings
Sequential Shooting: The camera can take one frame at a time, or a sequence of pictures at a time by holding down the shutter button. During sequential shooting, the focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed when the first frame is shot. You can choose from the following:
|Selection||Frames Per Second||Maximum # of Frames||Frame Resolution|
|Normal||5 fps||25 images||12M|
|High Speed 1||15 fps||100 images||3M|
|High Speed 2||60 fps||100 images||3M|
Sensitivity: The higher the ISO value, the greater the camera's light sensitivity and better its ability to shoot in low light. The Tough TG-2 can automatically set the camera's sensitivity according to the conditions around the subject. To minimize blur caused by a moving subject or camera movement, the camera can automatically use a higher sensitivity (compared to Auto). Manual settings include ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400 equivalents.
AF Mode: There are three AF (auto focus) modes for selecting the focusing area:
- Face/iESP: the camera determines the subject, even when not in the center. If a face is detected, the camera focuses on the face when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
- Spot AF: focus detection based on the subject within the AF target mark
- AF Tracking: The camera tracks the subject's movement automatically to focus on it continuously.
Panorama: Using the included software it is possible to connect images with overlapping edges together into a single panoramic image. You can select "Auto" or "Manual" Panorama, which allows you to put up to 3 images together, or "PC" for up to 10 images to be linked together on your computer using the supplied software.
Exposure Compensation: In some situations, you may get better results by adjusting the exposure slightly using exposure compensation. You can adjust from -2.0 to + 2.0 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Still Image Audio Recording: When activated, the camera's built-in microphone can be set to record four seconds of audio after the shutter button is released and the picture is taken. In the playback menu, you can add up to 4 seconds of audio to still pictures.
Image Playback: Once still images or movies have been captured, the camera gives you several options for playing them back:
- Manual Playback: view images manually one-by-one
- Slide Show: play still images back as a slide show. You can select to include all, or images from a single event, or in a specific collection created with PC software. You can choose from five types of background music and three types of transitions.
- Index View: For viewing multiple images at once, you can create an index display of 20 frames.
Outputs: The Tough TG-2 is equipped with an HDMI Micro Connector (Type D) for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV. The output can be set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p. If the connected HDTV is compatible with HDMI Control, you can set the camera to be controlled by the TV's remote control. The camera also has a proprietary multi-function jack used as an audio/video output (with the optional CB-AVC3 composite video/mono audio cable) or a USB port (with the supplied USB cable).
Editing Pictures: If a picture you have taken turns out less-than-perfect, you can edit it using one of the following:
- Image Size: You can save a high-resolution image as a separate image with a smaller size to use in e-mail attachments or other applications. You can choose 3M or VGA.
- Cropping: You can zoom in using the cropping frame, and create a new image.
- Adding Sound: You can add up to 4 seconds of audio to an existing image using the built-in microphone.
- Beauty Fix: The camera can make corrections to the subject's skin and/or eyes.
- Shadow Adjust: You can brighten areas that are dark due to backlighting of other reasons
- Redeye Fix: Red-eyes caused by flash shooting can be retouched.
- Landmark: You can change the landmark information recorded on images when they were shot using the GPS Landmark function.
- Rotate: You can rotate the image to the proper orientation.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Protected images are erased when the memory is reformatted.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Print Reservation: Applying Print Reservation (Print Order) to your pictures allows you to take the memory card to a DPOF-compatible photo lab for printing, or print them on a DPOF-compatible printer at home, without using a computer. DPOF is the Digital Print Order Format and allows you to add information to your picture files such as which pictures to print, the number of prints desired, add the date and time to each image, etc.
Supplied Software: The Tough TG-2 comes with Olympus Viewer 3 software on CD-ROM. The disc also includes a full Camera Instruction Manual. With the software, you can stitch together images for a panoramic shot, prepare images to be uploaded to the Internet, view GPS track logs, and retouch photos. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows XP (SP2 or later)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.8
Mass Storage Device: When the camera is used as a Mass Storage device, you can connect it to computers running the following operating systems:
- Windows XP (SP1 or later)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v10.3 or later