About the Olympus Tough TG-6
A rugged, versatile camera
The Olympus Tough TG-6 is shockproof, dustproof, freezeproof, and waterproof down to 50 feet.
A rugged, versatile camera
When I go on vacation, I like to be prepared for any experience that might come my way. The Olympus Tough TG-6 is a shockproof, freezeproof, dustproof, waterproof camera that can go just about anywhere and help you bring back photo and video proof of your adventures. It has a 12-megapixel sensor for taking sharp photos, and can record 4K video at up to 30p.
Its 4X optical zoom helps you get closer to a distant subject, and powerful auto focus and image stabilization help you keep the shot looking good.
Wired and wireless photo and video sharing
The TG-6 is equipped with Wi-Fi, for quick uploading of photos and videos any time you have a connection. You can also share files and control the camera remotely via built-in Bluetooth. An included USB cable lets you download images to your computer, and there's a micro HDMI output so you can display your best shots on a compatible TV (cable not included).
Specialized shooting modes
Here's where things get really cool. The TG-6 is loaded with specialized shooting modes that help you capture shots you may have only dreamed possible. Creative scene modes include Nightscape, Sport, Sunset, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Panorama and more.
If you're into snorkeling, there are a few underwater shooting modes to help you shoot well while submerged. And you can zoom way in on a small subject with one of the camera's macro modes.
Action Track telemetry
This camera has some built-in sensors that can display important context in your photos.
- GPS (GLONASS, QZSS) for very accurate geolocation
- directional compass
- manometer to measure barometric pressure
- temperature sensor
- accelerometer to prove just how fast you're moving
- 12-megapixel CMOS sensor
- shoots 4K video at up to 30p
- 3" high-resolution (1,040,000-dot) LCD screen
- 4X optical zoom (8X digital)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 25-100mm
- Live View image stabilization keeps shots steady
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy for wireless file transfer and remote camera control
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- shutter speed: 1/2000-4 second in auto mode
- ISO range: 100-1600 with customizable upper limit from 100 to 12800
- dustproof, freezeproof, shockproof, and waterproof to 50 feet
- built-in flash
- includes USB cable, wrist strap, rechargeable lithium ion battery, and charger
- Action Track sensor system: GPS (GLONASS, QZSS), compass, manometer, temperature sensor, accelerometer
- dozens of picture modes, scene modes, and art filters
- specialized underwater shooting modes
- four macro modes for ultra-close-ups
- self-timer lets you get in your own photos
- interval timer for time-lapse shooting
- tracking autofocus with face detection
- continuous shooting mode captures up to 20 images at a rate of 20 frames per second
- USB 2.0 port for connecting to your computer
- micro HDMI (Type D) output for viewing photos and videos on a TV (cable not included)
- standard 1/4" thread for tripod mounting
Dimensions and warranty:
- 4-7/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 1-1/4"D
- weight: 8.92 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # V104210BU000
What's in the box:
- Digital camera (black)
- Lens ring (installed)
- LI-92B Lithium-Ion battery (3.6V 1350mAh)
- F-5AC-1 AC adapter (5V 1500mA)
- 27" CB-USB12 USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB connector on the other end)
- Adjustable wrist strap (red)
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty card
- Maintaining Water Resistance booklet
Olympus Tough TG-6 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Olympus Tough TG-6
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-100mm|
|SD Cards||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4000 x 3000|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.92|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Rugged Design: The Olympus Tough TG-6 is a rugged camera, designed for adventurous photographers. The camera's durable construction is built to the following standards:
- Shockproof: designed to withstand a 7-foot fall, drop or other mishap (MIL-STD-810F standard)
- Waterproof: innovative waterproof seals and gaskets allow you to take underwater movies and pictures in the pool, lake, or ocean, up to 50-foot (15 meter) depths for one hour (IEC Standard Publication 529 IPX8)
- Dustproof: dustproof to an IEC standard 529 IP6X
- Crushproof: can withstand up to 220 foot-pounds of pressure
- Freezeproof: camera can withstand temperature extremes down to 14° F (MIL-STD-810F standard)
Double Lock Mechanisms: The battery compartment and connector cover doors both have double lock mechanisms to prevent accidental exposure to moisture and dust. Rubberized seals on the doors help make the compartments watertight to protect the battery, memory card, and connector contacts.
Image Sensor: The camera is equipped with a 1/2.3" BSI-CMOS image sensor. The sensor has approximately 12.71 million pixels and 12 million effective pixels. Images are processed by the TruePic VIII image processor.
Optics: The TG-6 is equipped with a bright F2.0-4.9 lens to let you capture shots in low light or situations when a flash cannot be used. The 4x optical zoom lens has a focal length of 4.5-18.0mm (equivalent to 25-100mm in 35mm photography).
Optional Lens Converters: The ring around the lens is removable, allowing you to add optional converter lenses. You can extend the zoom to nearly 7x with the optional TCON-17x package, or get wide-angle shots with the optional FCON-T01 fisheye converter lens package.
Note: The needed CLA-T01 converter adapter is included with the TCON-17x and FCON-T01 Tough Lens packages.
3.0" Monitor: The camera is equipped with a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor with approximately 1.04 million dots. The monitor features several protective coatings to reduce glare and to prevent scratches. Like the lens, a special water-repellent coating prevents water from remaining on the monitor. The TG-6 offers a 15-level monitor brightness adjustment (-7 to +7) in the menu.
Wi-Fi: The TG-6 has Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n) for remote camera operation and easy file sharing. It has its own built-in Wireless LAN, so you don't have to connect to a network. Using the free Olympus Image Share (OI.Share) app on your smartphone, you can easily share still images and movies to iOS and Android mobile devices. GPS location information can be used to geotag photos. From a compatible mobile device, you can remotely take pictures and choose the settings for the self-timer, white balance, exposure (ISO, shutter speed, aperture), shooting and drive modes, and AF area. In addition, the OI.Track and OI.Palette applications can be used to use the camera's GPS data to track your travels and photos, and to edit your photographs, respectively.
Note: The Olympus mobile apps are available for Android mobile devices (Android 5.0 and up) from Google Play, and for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 10.0 or later from the Apple App Store.
GPS: The TG-6 has a built-in GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver, which can record location information onto your photos and movies. Using applications such as Olympus Workspace or OI.Track, you can view the location of your photos on a map. The logging function lets you track the route taken on your adventure.
e.Compass: You can use the TG-6 as an electronic compass to calculate your location and direction. Holding the Info button while the shooting screen is displayed brings up an electronic compass, along with your Latitude and Longitude coordinates, atmospheric pressure, altitude or water depth, and current date and time.
Recording Media: The Olympus Tough TG-6 digital camera records still images or movies onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory Cards. Still images are recorded in JPEG and RAW formats. Movies are recorded in MOV (H.264) with sound. When recording movies, you should use an SD card with a Speed Class of 10 or higher. If recording 4K movies, a UHS-I card with a UHS speed class of 3 or better is recommended.
Image Stabilization: The camera features Image Stabilization, so you can capture sharp, blur-free images, even if your subject is moving. The camera uses Sensor Shift type stabilization for still images and Digital stabilization for movies. With Image Stabilization enabled, you can shoot sharp images at slower shutter speeds, or in low-light situations.
Focusing Range: The focus range for the normal shooting mode is 3.9" to infinity (W-T). In the Microscope mode, you can record images from 0.39" to 3.9" away.
White Balance: The Tough TG-6 offers the following White Balance presets: WB Auto, Sunny, Shadow, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, and Flash. There are three settings for Underwater for depth of 9.8' or less, 9.8'-49.2', and below 49.2'. You can also set and store a custom white balance setting (One Touch) based on an actual scene, and choose from color temperatures of from 2000 K to 14000 K.
AF Illuminator: The camera has an AF illuminator that can assist in Auto Focusing, or illuminate the scene in closeup situations. It can be turned on or off manually in the menu, or set to automatically illuminate when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
Flash: The output of the camera's built-in flash can be adjusted up to +/-2 EV in 1/3 EV steps, if needed. You can also use the flash to control an external flash compatible with the Olympus Wireless RC Flash System. The flash operates in the following modes:
- Flash Auto: The flash fires automatically in low light or backlight conditions.
- Fill-in: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
- Red-eye: This emits pre-flashes for red-eye reduction.
- Red-eye Slow: Combines slow sync with red-eye reduction.
- Slow Sync: Slow shutter speeds are used to brighten dimly-lit backgrounds. A tripod is recommended as the shutter speed becomes slower.
- Slow Sync w/ red-eye reduction): Slow synchronization is combined with the red-eye reduction pre-flash.
- Manual Value: Control the flash output manually
- Remote Control: Allows you to take pictures with a wireless flash by remote control. The camera's built-in flash communicates between the camera and the remote flash.
- LED On: The LED turns on when the picture is taken to illuminate the scene for closeups
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
Self-Timer: You can take pictures of yourself using the 12-second built-in self timer. The 2-second self-timer also aids in preventing camera shake. You can also customize the self-timer by setting the delay (1-30 seconds), number of pictures (1-10), and the interval between multiple pictures (1, 2, or 3 seconds).
Interval Shooting: You can a sequence of photographs at a set interval in the Scene Mode to illustrate the passage of time. You can set the number of frames (1-299), the start waiting time (0:00:00 to 24:00:00), and the interval time between shots (0:00:01 to 24:00:00). The camera will save the shots individually, or you can opt to also generate a time lapse movie from the sequence of frames. If a movie is selected, you can choose the movie resolution and frame rate.
Live Composite: While mounted on a tripod, the camera automatically shoots multiple images, takes newly bright areas only, and composites them into a single image. With normal long exposures, an image of light trace, such as star trails with bright buildings, tends to get too bright. Live Composite lets you capture them without over exposing them.
Power Requirements: The Tough TG-6 operates on the supplied LI-92B rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.6V, 1350mAh). An AC adapter (F-5AC-1) is supplied to charge the LI-92B in the camera or operate the camera on AC power. The camera can take up to approximately 340 photos or 50 minutes typical (or 110 minutes of continuous) video with a fully charged battery. Charging time is approximately 3 hours. The camera can also charge while it is connected to a computer via USB.
Still Image Shooting: The Tough TG-6 records JPEG still images in a 4:3 aspect ratio in one of three sizes: Large (4000 x 3000), Medium (3200 x 2400), and Small (1280 x 960). Three image quality (compression) settings can be selected for still images: Super Fine, Fine, and Normal. After recording, you can change the aspect ratio to 16:9, 3:2, 1:1, or 3:4 as needed. You can also record images in RAW format using unprocessed image data, in 4:3 at 4000 x 3000 resolution. The aspect border for recorded RAW images can be set to other aspect ratios, if desired. The JPEG+RAW setting records both a JPEG and RAW image simultaneously.
Movie Recording: The TG-6 can record movies in three frame sizes 4K UHD (3840 x 2160 at 30p), Full HD (1920 x 1080 at 60p or 30p), and HD (1280 x 720 at 60p or 30p). For FHD and HD, you can choose from three Bit Rates (compression ratios): Super Fine, Fine, and Normal. High Speed recording is available (for smooth slow motion playback) for FHD (1920 x 1080 / 120 fps), HD (1280 x 720 / 240 fps), and SD (640 x 360 / 480 fps).
Shooting Modes: The rear-mounted Mode Dial lets you choose between several shooting modes:
- iAuto: The camera automatically selects the optimal shooting mode for the scene.
- Program: The camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture, but allows you to make changes to a wide range of other settings, such as exposure compensation, white balance, etc.
- A Mode (Aperture Mode): When an aperture value is set, the camera automatically sets an appropriate shutter speed.
- Custom: In Custom modes 1 or 2, you can store shooting settings for later use.
- Microscope: Images can be taken from up to 1 centimeter (0.39") away. Sub modes include: Focus Stacking, Focus Bracket, and Microscope Control.
- Underwater: You can shoot underwater by selecting one of the sub-mode settings: Underwater Snapshot, Underwater Wide, Underwater Macro, or Underwater HDR.
- Scene: Lets you select from the following pre-programmed
- People: Portrait, e-Portrait, Portrait+Landscape, Portrait+Nightscape, Children
- Nightscapes: Nightscape, Portrait+Landscape, Handheld Starlight, Fireworks, Live Composite
- Motion: Sport, Children
- Scenery: Landscape, Sunset, Beach & Snow, Panorama, Backlight HDR
- Indoors: Candlelight, Portrait, e-Portrait, Children, Backlight HDR
Picture Modes: You can apply various picture modes to produce unusual images. Picture Modes include: i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monochrome, Custom, e-Portrait, Underwater, Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Watercolor, Vintage, Partial Color, Bleach Bypass, and Instant Film.
Sequential Shooting: The camera can take one frame at a time, or a sequence of pictures at a time by holding down the shutter button. During sequential shooting, the focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed when the first frame is shot. You can choose from the following:
- Sequential High: You can choose a frame advance rate of 10 fps or 20 fps. Maximum number of frames is 14 for RAW images, or until card is full for JPEG.
- Sequential Low: Photos are taken at about 5 frames per second. Maximum number of frames is 40 for RAW images, or until the card is full for JPEG.
- Pro Capture: Sequential shooting begins when you press the shutter button halfway. Once you press the button all the way down, recording to the card begins, including those captured during the halfway press (up to 4). Frame rate is approximately 10 fps.
Sensitivity: The higher the ISO value, the greater the camera's light sensitivity and better its ability to shoot in low light. The Tough TG-6 can automatically set the camera's sensitivity between ISO 100 and 1600, according to the conditions around the subject. To minimize blur caused by a moving subject or camera movement, the camera can automatically use a higher sensitivity (compared to Auto). Manual settings include ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, and 12800 equivalents.
Focusing Modes: There are three Focusing Modes: Single AF, AF Tracking, and Manual Focus. In S-AF mode, the camera focuses automatically when the shutter button is pressed halfway. In AF Tracking mode, the camera tracks the subject's movement and focuses on it continuously. The camera focuses continuously during movie recording. When MF is selected, you can manually focus on a subject anywhere in the frame by using the Up/Down arrow buttons or the control dial.
Exposure Compensation: In some situations, you may get better results by adjusting the exposure slightly using exposure compensation. You can adjust from -2.0 to + 2.0 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Image Playback: Once still images or movies have been captured, the camera gives you several options for playing them back:
- Manual Playback: view images manually one-by-one
- Close-Up Playback: In manual playback, you can zoom in 2x, 3x, 5x, 7x, 10x, or 14x to get a close-up view of the image. When zoomed in, you can use the arrow buttons to scroll around the image.
- Slide Show: play still images back as a slide show. You can select to include all, or images from a single event, or in a specific collection created with PC software. The interval between photos can be set to between 2 and 10 seconds. Background music can be turned on, if desired.
- Index View: For viewing multiple images at once, you can create an index display of 25 frames (5x5).
- Calendar View: In Calendar View, you can select a date on the displayed calendar to view the images and movies recorded on that day.
Outputs: The Tough TG-6 is equipped with an HDMI Micro Connector (Type D) for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV. The output can be set to 4K, 1080p, 720p, or 480p/576p. If the connected HDTV is compatible with HDMI Control, you can set the camera to be controlled by the TV's remote control. The camera also includes a Micro-B USB port for use with the supplied USB cable for connecting the camera to your computer for downloading photos and movies. The USB port is also used for charging the battery using the supplied AC adapter.
Editing Pictures: If a picture you have taken turns out less-than-perfect, you can edit it using one of the following:
- Shadow Adjust: You can brighten areas that are dark due to backlighting of other reasons
- Red-eye Fix: You can reduce the red-eye effect caused by flash photography.
- Cropping: You can zoom in using the cropping frame, and create a new image.
- Aspect Ratio: Change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 3:2, 16:9, 1:1, or 3:4. After changing the aspect ratio, you can use the arrow buttons to move the trimming frame.
- Black & White / Sepia: Changes the color to B&W or Sepia toned images.
- Saturation: You can increase the color saturation to make the photo more vivid.
- Image Size: You can save a high-resolution image as a separate image with a smaller size to use in e-mail attachments or other applications. You can choose 1280 x 960, 640 x 480, or 320 x 240.
- Adding Sound: You can add up to 30 seconds of audio to an existing image using the built-in microphone.
- e-Portrait: The camera can make corrections to the subject's skin tones.
- Image Overlay: You can create a new image by overlaying 2 or 3 RAW photographs.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Protected images are erased when the memory is reformatted.
Olympus Workspace Software: The Olympus Tough TG-6 does not come with software in the box. You can download Olympus Workspace software at no charge from the Olympus website. (Workspace replaced the Viewer 3 software on April 1, 2019.) The new Workspace software helps you import images and videos taken by the camera, and lets you view, edit, and manage your photos. It has a new customizable layout to improve your workflow, and allows advanced RAW processing and editing for pro photographers. The Olympus Workspace software is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8/8.1
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Mac OS X v10.9 - 10.11 / macOS v10.12 - 10.14
USB Mass Storage Class: The camera supports USB Mass Storage Class, allowing you to transfer images to a computer with the provided USB cable. The following operating systems are compatible with the USB connection:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8/8.1
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Mac OS X v10.8 - 10.11 / macOS v10.12 - 10.14