About the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Versatile, wide-angle lens
From shooting sweeping, panoramic landscapes, to capturing big group shots at a family gathering, you just can't beat the convenience and performance of Canon's ultra-wide-angle 17-40mm zoom lens. Pair it with the full-frame EOS 5D Mark II camera and you'll get a huge field of view and versatile shooting options. Plus, this Canon L Series lens boasts weather-resistant construction and superior optics for vivid, tack-sharp photos.
- EF 17-40mm f/4L USM ultra-wide-angle zoom lens
- compatible with Canon EOS SLR cameras
- Canon L Series lens with three aspherical elements and one Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) element for superior image quality
- available full-time manual focusing
- weather- and dust-resistant construction
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor for fast, silent autofocus
- built-in gelatin filter holder
- minimum aperture: f/22
- minimum focus distance: 11 inches
- constructed of 12 elements in 9 groups
- filter size: 77mm
- image size: 24 x 36 mm
- lens is 3-13/16" long, 3-5/16" in diameter
- weight: 16.8 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- EW-83E lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- soft lens case
- MFR # 8806A002
What's in the box:
- EF 17-40mm f/4L USM ultra-wide zoom lens
- E-77mm lens cap (installed)
- Rear dust cap (installed)
- EW-83E lens hood
- Fabric lens case
- Instructions (6 languages)
- Warranty card
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM reviews
The Canon EF 17-40mm USM is simply a must have for Landscape photographers. This lens is perfect for those who want to upgrade to a professional quality lens without bearing the high costs associated with many of Canon's other lenses. Overall, I highly recommend this product.
Pros: Quality of the lens Price
Cons: Weight of the lens
3 of 3 found this helpful
This is a great wide angle lens for the price. One of Canon's least expensive L series out there. Highly recommend for landscape photos. I purchased from Crutchfield scratch and dent and was surprised to find almost nothing wrong with the lens. The lens cap was scratched a little......... who cares! Well worth the scratch and dent savings!
Pros: Wide angle, Weather sealed on a 5D mkiii.
0 of 1 found this helpful
The 17-40 ultra wide zoom is a great second lens to have for landscape photography. The 17mm focal length is useful for the close up wide angle photos. At 24mm is where this lens performs best in my opinion, with little to no distortion, good sharpness, good color and contrast. The lightweight but solid construction is great and the price is hard to beat. This lens performs very well on both full frame and APS-C sensor cameras.
Pros: Solid build, good color and contrast. Affordable ultra wide range.
Cons: Lens would be more useful to me if it ranged from 17-50mm.
3 of 3 found this helpful
More details on the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Compatibility: The Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM ultra-wide zoom lens is compatible with Canon EOS SLR and DSLR cameras.
Wide-angle Design: The wide angle allows you to bring more area into focus and provides greater depth of field.
Optics: Superior optics are assured by the use of three Aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras.
USM (Ultrasonic Motor): The lens uses a ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus.
Auto/Manual Focus Modes: To shoot in autofocus mode, you must set the focus mode switch on the lens to "AF." To manually focus the camera, you must set the switch to "MF," and focus by turning the focusing ring.
Lens Hood: The EW-83E hood can keep unwanted light out of the lens and also protects the front of the lens from rain, snow, and dust.
Gelatin Filter Holder: The holder at the rear of the lens can hold up to three gelatin filters.
Weather-resistant Construction: The lens features sealed construction for higher dust- and water-resistance.
Optional Accessories (available from Canon): You can attach optional filters (77mm) to the filter mounting thread on the front of the lens. You can also use the following optional extension tubes: EF 12 and EF 25.
- Image Size: 24mm x 36mm (0.9" x 1.4")
- Focal Length/Aperture: 17-40mm f/4
- Lens Construction: 9 elements in 12 groups
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 104º - 57º 30'
- Vertical: 70º 30' - 34º
- Horizontal: 93º - 49º 20'
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 0.28m/0.92'
- Magnification and Field of View: 0.24x, approximately 234mm x 365mm - 100mm x 150mm/9.2" x 14.4" - 3.9" x 5.9"
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Maximum Diameter and Length: 83.5mm and 96.8mm/3.3" and 3.8"
- Weight: 475 g/16.8 oz.