About the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM
A portable pro-quality telephoto lens
A portable pro-quality telephoto lens
Canon's 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM lens delivers telephoto power in a lightweight package that makes it possible to use without a tripod. This update to an already popular high-performance lens gives you better image stabilization and a shorter minimum focus distance of 3.3 feet. Great for wildlife, sports, and portrait photography, this lens produces outstanding high-resolution images with smooth background defocusing.
Fantastic photos in any weather
Extensive weather-sealing means you can use this lens even in adverse conditions. Its useful 20-70mm focal range and f/4 maximum aperture let you play up your subject by compressing and blurring the background. And this maximum aperture remains constant across the entire zoom range, so you'll get consistently well-exposed photos without having to change your exposure values as you adjust focal length.
Stay focused on what's important
Canon's quiet Ultrasonic Motor (USM) ensures fast, precise focus — great for shooting video. Range limiter controls let you restrict the focal range, preventing accidental focus on foreground elements and minimizing time spent "hunting" for focus.
Three kinds of image stabilization
One of the most exciting updates to this classic lens is that it offers five-stop image stabilization, meaning you can get sharp images at up to five shutter speeds slower than with other lenses — great for low-light situations when you don't have a tripod handy.
Canon's new IS Mode 3 helps you get crisp images of erratically moving subjects, and there's also a special mode for panning. A Stabilizer Mode switch on the lens barrel makes it easy to dial in the right kind of stabilization for nearly any subject or scene.
- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Canon EOS APS-C and full-frame sensor digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 70-200mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 112-320mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- built-in Image Stabilization minimizes blur at slower shutter speeds
- Stabilizer Mode switch lets you select between three types of stabilization for non-moving subjects, panning, and erratically moving subjects
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- internal zooming and focusing
- compact, lightweight design for easier handheld shooting
- available full-time manual focusing
- minimum focus distance: 3.3 feet
- lens construction: 20 elements in 15 groups
- one Fluorite element and two UD elements increase optical quality and reduce chromatic aberrations
- 9-blade circular aperture for smooth background defocusing
- range limiter controls for fast, accurate focusing
- weather-sealed for protection from the elements
- filter size: 77mm
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and soft case
- lens is 6-15/16" long, 3-1/8" in diameter
- weight: 27.5 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 2309C002
What's in the box:
- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM zoom lens
- E-72II Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ET-78B Lens hood
- LP-1224 lens case
- EF Lens Instructions
- Canon Limited Warranty card
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM
Overview: The Canon EF70-200mm f/4L IS II USM lens is a versatile, high-performance telephoto zoom lens for Canon EOS full-frame and APS-C cameras. When used on APS-C cameras, the focal length is equivalent to 112-320mm. It has a standard Canon EF-mount, and comes with front and rear lens caps, a lens hood, and a padded storage case.
Image Stabilizer: The EF70-200mm zoom lens has an optical image stabilization system that provides up to five stops of shake correction. There are three stabilizer modes:
- Mode 1: Corrects vibrations in all directions; mainly for shooting still subjects.
- Mode 2: Compensates for vertical camera shake while you are panning the camera, following a moving subject. It also compensates for horizontal camera shake when tilting the camera in a vertical direction.
- Mode 3: Corrects vibrations only during exposure. During panning shots, this mode corrects vibration during exposure only in one direction, the same as Mode 2.
Note: In Modes 1 and 2, pressing the shutter button halfway stabilizes the image in the viewfinder and enables stabilization. In Mode 3, pressing the shutter button halfway initiates the computation of stabilization. Pressing the button all the way enables stabilization.
AF/MF Switch: A switch on the lens barrel lets you select Auto Focus (AF) or Manual Focus (MF). Full-time manual focus allows you to manually focus with the focus ring, even while the lens is in AF mode. The focusing ring on the lens always works, regardless of the focus mode selected.
Focusing Range Switch: The Focusing Range Switch lets you select a focusing range of either 1 m/3.28' to infinity or 3 m/9.84' to infinity, depending on shooting conditions. By setting an appropriate focusing range, the actual focusing time can be reduced.
Aperture: The EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM features a 9-blade, circular aperture which creates beautiful out-of-focus areas and soft backgrounds.
Lens Hood: The included ET-78B lens hood can keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protect the front element. When attached, the lens hood adds approximately 2-7/8" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, the hood can be mounted in reverse on the lens.
Optional Lens Extenders: You can attach an optional Canon Extension Tube for magnified shots. With the EF1.4X III Extender, the focal length becomes 98-280mm with an aperture of f/5.6-45. With the EF2X III Extender attached, the focal length changes to 140-400mm with an f/8-64 aperture.
- Focal Length: 70-200mm
- Lens Construction: 20 elements in 15 groups (including one Fluorite element and two UD elements)
- Maximum Aperture: f/4
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Aperture Type: 9-blade circular aperture
- Maximum Magnification: 0.27x (at 200mm)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.28' (1.0m)
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 34° to 12'
- Vertical: 19°30' to 7°
- Horizontal: 29° to 10°
- Filter Size: 72mm
- Diameter: 3.196"
- Length: 7.196" (7.889" with lens caps)
- Weight: 27.5 ounces