About the Canon Speedlite 270EX II
Improve the look of your flash photography with Speedlite 270EX II. Mounted to your Canon SLR or select PowerShot, this powerful-yet-compact add-on flash allows you to shoot in low-light conditions from far greater distances than your camera's built-in flash. Plus, you get the added ability to direct light where you need it for more professional-looking photos.
The 270EX II's flash head can be tilted upward at multiple angles to create indirect lighting effects. Bounced from walls or ceilings, reflected light provides softer illumination with less glare and fewer shadows ideal for taking more pleasing portraits.
All of the necessary connections are made by simply mounting the flash to your camera's accessory shoe. With advanced automatic exposure control, this easy-to-use flash works together with your Canon camera to provide just the right illumination for your photos every time.
- compatible with Canon EOS SLR cameras; also compatible with Canon PowerShot G series cameras
- E-TTL II (evaluative through-the-lens) flash exposure control for compatible Canon EOS cameras
- flash head can be tilted for bounce flash
- flash controls manually adjustabe through camera's menu with compatible EOS digital SLR models
- slave function allows flash to be triggered wirelessly when used with a Canon EOS DSLR with a master function
- autofocus assist beam
- maximum guide number: 72 ft. at ISO 100 (28mm full-frame equivalent)
- uses 2 "AA" batteries (not included)
- weight: 5.5 oz. (without batteries)
- 2-9/16"W x 2-9/16"H x 3-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 5247B002
What's in the box:
- Speedlite 270EX II flash
- Mini stand
- Carrying case
- Owner's manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
Canon Speedlite 270EX II reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon Speedlite 270EX II
Compatibility: The Speedlite 270EX II is compatible with all Canon EOS cameras and PowerShot G-series cameras.
Shoe Mount: The 270EX II flash mounts to the intelligent shoe on the top of your compatible Canon EOS or PowerShot G-series camera. Flash trigger, exposure setting, and focal length (zoom) setting are transferred to the flash via the intelligent shoe.
Variable Angle: The firing direction of the flash is adjustable vertically by pulling the flash head forward and tilting it backward. The vertical angle can be adjusted from 0° (straight forward) to 90° (straight up) with additional settings at 60° and 75°. By pointing the flash head toward a wall or ceiling, the flash will bounce off the surface before illuminating the subject. This can soften shadows behind the subject for a more natural-looking shot.
Pilot Lamp: The pilot lamp lights when the flash is ready to fire. If the lamp is flashing, it is ready for a quick flash, but the output will be 1/2 to 1/3 the normal flash.
Fully Automatic Flash Shooting: When you set the camera's shooting mode to program AE or full auto, E-TTL II/E-TTL fully automatic flash will make it as easy as normal AE shooting.
Camera Flash Control: When the 270EX II is mounted to an EOS digital camera with external flash control, you can control the following functions with the camera:
- Flash Firing: You can enable or disable the flash. When disabled, you can still use the flash as an AF-assist beam.
- Flash Mode: You can set the flash for E-TTL II (automatic) or Manual.
- Shutter Sync: The flash can be set to the following sync types:
- 1st Curtain: Normal flash--flash fires when the shutter is fully open
- 2nd Curtain: Flash fires right before the shutter closes
- High-Speed: Enables flash shooting at all shutter speeds, effective when you want to use Aperture Priority for fill-flash portraits
- Flash Exposure Compensation: You can adjust the flash output level in the same way as normal exposure compensation.
- E-TTL II: You can select the following metering types:
- Evaluative: fully automatic flash shooting from dark scenes to fill-flash
- Average: metering averaged to the entire scene
Flash Coverage: The flash coverage can be set to match the focal length of an EF lens from 28mm to 50mm and an EF-S lens from 17.5mm to 31.3mm. With the flash head in normal position, the coverage is set for an EF lens. You can change the flash coverage to that of an EF-S lens by pulling the flash head forward.
Wireless Flash: To perform wireless flash shooting, the camera or the Speedlight attached to the camera must have a master function. The 270EX II fires as a slave flash when controlled from a master unit. The flash comes with a stand that allows you to place the flash on a tabletop or a tripod.
Wireless Remote Control Flash: The flash can be used for remote control shooting with cameras compatible with Remote Controller RC-1, RC-5, or RC-6.
Batteries: The 270EX II flash uses 2 AA batteries. Alkaline, lithium, or NiMH (Nickel-Metal Hydride) rechargeable batteries are recommended. Canon's testing with alkaline batteries yields a recycle time of 0.1 - 3.9 seconds and a flash count of 100 - 680 (depending on flash settings).
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the power will turn off automatically after approximately 90 seconds of idle use. To turn the Speedlite back on again, press your camera's shutter button halfway down.
Guide Number: 22/72 (m/ft) Normal (28mm); 27/89 Tele (50mm)
Flash Range (Normal Flash):
|Guide No. (ISO 100)||Aperture Value|
- Normal Flash: 0.1 to 3.9 seconds
- Quick Flash: 0.1 to 2.6 seconds
- Width: 2.55"
- Height: 2.56" (3.428" w/flash angle at 90°)
- Depth: 3.074" (3.362" w/flash head extended)
Weight: 5.5 oz. (without batteries)