About the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM
A new take on a pro-quality telephoto lens
A new take on a pro-quality telephoto lens
Canon's 70-200mm f/2.8 IS III USM is great for sports, wildlife and portrait photography. This update to an already popular high-performance telephoto adds Canon's Air Sphere Coating (ASC) for reduced flare and ghosting. Specialized lens elements reduce aberrations for outstanding high-resolution images.
Fantastic photos in any weather
Extensive weather-sealing means you can use this lens even in adverse conditions. Its useful 20-70mm focal range and f/2.8 maximum aperture let you play up your subject by compressing and blurring the background. And this maximum aperture remains constant across the entire zoom range, so you'll get consistently well-exposed photos without having to change your exposure values as you adjust focal length.
Stay focused on what's important
Canon's quiet Ultrasonic Motor (USM) ensures fast, precise focus — great for shooting video. Range limiter controls let you restrict the focal range, preventing accidental focus on foreground elements and minimizing time spent "hunting" for focus.
This lens offers 3.5-stop image stabilization, meaning you can get sharp images at up to 3.5 shutter speeds slower than you can with other lenses — great for low-light situations or when you don't have a tripod handy.
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Canon EOS APS-C and full-frame sensor digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 70-200mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 112-320mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- built-in Image Stabilization minimizes blur at slower shutter speeds
- Stabilizer Mode switch lets you select between standard and panning IS modes
- large f/2.8 maximum aperture remains constant for better handheld shooting in low-light environments
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- internal zooming and focusing
- available full-time manual focusing
- minimum focus distance: 3.9 feet
- lens construction: 23 elements in 19 groups
- one Fluorite element and two UD elements increase optical quality and reduce chromatic aberrations
- range limiter controls for fast, accurate focusing
- weather-sealed for protection from the elements
- filter size: 77mm
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, zippered case, and tripod collar
- lens is 7-3/16" long, 3-1/2" in diameter
- weight: 50.7 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3044C002
What's in the box:
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM zoom lens
- E-77II front lens cap (installed)
- Canon EF rear lens cap (installed)
- Tripod Mount Ring B (installed)
- ET-87 Lens hood
- LZ1326 Zippered storage case
- Shoulder strap (for case)
- EF Lens Instructions
- Warranty Registration card
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM reviews
Just the lens I was looking for. Bokeh is unreal.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Bought it specifically for taking volleyball pictures indoor. The lighting in our gyms are horrible, but with this new lens the pictures have been amazing..
0 of 1 found this helpful
This lens paired with the 5Ds body works beautifully. Easy to get the hang of. Not as bulky as my other bigger telephoto zoom lens. Got some great shots at the recent 2018 US Open Men's Semis. Looking forward to learning more about the lens and its capabilities, but so far so good. RECOMMEND.
Pros: Fairly lightweight Very crisp shots Great focal length range Nice price
Cons: None that I can decipher
0 of 1 found this helpful
More details on the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM
Overview: The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM lens is a versatile, high-performance telephoto zoom lens for Canon EOS full-frame and APS-C cameras. When used on APS-C cameras, the focal length is equivalent to 112-320mm. It has a standard Canon EF-mount, and comes with front and rear lens caps, a lens hood, tripod mount, and a padded storage case.
Air Sphere Coating (ASC): Canon's Air Sphere Coating (ASC) suppresses reflections, minimizes ghosting and flare, and helps eliminate aberrations, no matter the focal length or angle of light. Your photos come out clearer without distracting reflective element in the image.
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The EF 70-200mm lens has a nearly silent Auto Focusing system, due to the fast inner focusing ring and the Ultrasonic Motor (USM). This system works with the EOS camera's high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms to give you fast, accurate focusing. In addition to lightning quick Auto Focusing, the lens also offers full-time manual focusing.
Fluorine Coating: The front and rear elements have a specially designed fluorine coating to help keep your lens clean. Fluorine coatings help reject dust, or water and oil spots. Fingerprints don't stick to the lens, allowing you to quickly and easily wipe off any smudges on the lens without using solvents.
Image Stabilizer: The EF 70-200mm zoom lens has an optical image stabilization system that provides up to 3.5 stops of shake correction. Switches on the lens barrel let you turn the Stabilizer on or off, and select one of the following Stabilizer Modes:
- Mode 1: Corrects vibrations in all directions; mainly for shooting still subjects.
- Mode 2: Compensates for vertical camera shake while you are panning the camera, following a moving subject. It also compensates for horizontal camera shake when tilting the camera in a vertical direction.
AF/MF Switch: A switch on the lens barrel lets you select Auto Focus (AF) or Manual Focus (MF). Full-time manual focus allows you to manually focus with the focus ring, even while the lens is in AF mode. The focusing ring on the lens always works, regardless of the focus mode selected.
Focusing Range Switch: The Focusing Range Switch lets you select a focusing range of either 1.2 m/3.94' to infinity or 2.5 m/8.2' to infinity, depending on shooting conditions. By setting an appropriate focusing range, the actual focusing time can be reduced.
Aperture: The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM features an 8-blade, circular aperture which creates beautiful out-of-focus areas and soft backgrounds.
Tripod Mount: Because of its size and weight, the lens comes with the Canon Tripod Mount Ring B (W II). The tripod mount ring allows you to mount the camera onto a tripod by the lens instead of the camera body. The orientation locking knob can be loosened to allow you to quickly change between vertical and horizontal positions.
Lens Hood: The included ET-87 lens hood helps keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protects the front element. When attached, the lens hood adds approximately 3-5/8" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, the hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens for storage.
Optional Lens Extenders: You can attach an optional Canon Extension Tube for magnified shots. With the EF1.4X III Extender, the focal length becomes 98-280mm with an aperture of f/4-45. With the EF2X III Extender attached, the focal length changes to 140-400mm with an f/5.6-64 aperture.
- Focal Length: 70-200mm
- Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups, including one Fluorite element and five UD (ultra dispersion) elements
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Aperture Type: 8-blade circular aperture
- Maximum Magnification: 0.21x (at 200mm)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.94' (1.2m)
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 34° to 12°
- Vertical: 19°30' to 7°
- Horizontal: 29° to 10°
- Filter Size: 77mm
- Diameter: 3.5"
- Length: 8.041" (8.808" with lens caps)
- Weight: 52.2 ounces