About the Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM
A premium super telephoto lens that won't weigh you down
A premium super telephoto lens that won't weigh you down
Canon's EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM lens is perfect for sports and wildlife photographers who want outstanding image quality and professional control in a portable package. This super telephoto prime weighs in at just over six pounds. Its center of gravity is closer to the rear, making it easier to use handheld or with a monopod.
Fantastic photos in any weather
Extensive weather-sealing means you can use this lens even in adverse conditions. Its 400mm focal length and f/2.8 maximum aperture lets you play up your subject by compressing and blurring the background. Nine circular aperture blades contribute to dreamy defocused background effects.
Stay focused on important details
Canon's quiet Ultrasonic Motor (USM) ensures fast, precise focus — great for shooting video. A customizable electronic manual focusing ring with three sensitivity levels helps you get the shots you're after. You'll be able to select how quickly and precisely you want to adjust focus — really helpful when you need a slower speed to switch between subjects or a faster speed to zero in on moving subjects.
Keep it steady
This lens offers three flavors of image stabilization for sharper images at slower shutter speeds — perfect for low-light situations when you don't have a tripod handy. There's a panning mode, and a specialized mode for erratically moving subjects. A Stabilizer Mode switch on the lens barrel makes it easy to dial in the right kind of stabilization for nearly any subject or scene.
- lens type: EF-mount full frame
- compatible with Canon EOS digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 400mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 640mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- increased heat-shielding for more reliable outdoor shooting
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating on front and rear lens elements repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) minimizes ghosting and flare
- Super Spectra coating for crisp, clear images
- built-in image stabilization for sharper images at slower shutter speeds
- customizable electronic focusing ring with 3 sensitivity levels
- minimum focus distance: 8.20'
- minimum aperture: f/32
- lens construction: 17 elements in 13 groups
- Super UD (Ultra-low dispersion) and fluorite lens elements for improved image quality and clarity
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, case, and 52mm drop-in gelatin filter holder
- accepts 52mm drop-in filters
- lens is 6-7/16" in diameter, 13-1/2" long
- weight: 6.26 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3045C002
What's in the box:
- EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III EFM super telephoto lens
- E-180E Slip-on lens cap with drawstring (installed)
- Rear dust cap E (installed)
- ET-155 Lens hood
- LS400 Lens case
- Lens strap
- Waranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM
Overview: The Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM lens is a high-performance super telephoto lens for Canon EOS full-frame or APS-C cameras. It has a standard Canon EF-mount, and comes with front and rear lens caps, a lens hood, tripod mount, lens strap, and a padded storage case.
Note: The focal length of the lens when mounted to a camera with an APS-C sensor is 1.6x that of full frame cameras. For the EF 400mm lens, the focal length is 640mm when used on an APS-C camera.
Lens Coatings: The EF 400mm lens features to special coatings to minimize unwanted ghosting and flare. Canon's Super Spectra Coating (SSC), made up of a number of thin films, helps reject extraneous light wavelengths to help maintain overall image quality and color fidelity. Canon's Air Sphere Coating (ASC) suppresses reflections, minimizes ghosting and flare, and helps eliminate aberrations, no matter the angle of light. Your photos come out clearer without distracting reflective elements in the image.
Fluorine Coating: The front and rear elements have a specially designed fluorine coating to help keep your lens clean. Fluorine coatings help reject dust, or water and oil spots. Fingerprints don't stick to the lens, allowing you to quickly and easily wipe off any smudges on the lens without using solvents. In addition, the lens is constructed with seals around the mount, switches, and rings to resist dust and water.
Heat Shielding: The lens has a new paint formulation that reflects more heat than before to deliver consistant and reliable performance. The two-layer barrel structure helps protect the inner elements from heat to give you excellent image quality and reliability, even when used outdoors in the heat for extended periods of time.
Electronic Focusing Ring: The lens has a customizable electronic manual focusing ring with three sensitivity levels (1, 2, 3) to choose from. The Manual Focus Speed switch is located on the lens barrel, and lets you select a slow manual speed for more precision, or a fast manual focus to capture a moment. In addition, you can still adjust the focus manually, even when autofocus is engaged.
Focus Presets: You can set one or two focusing distances as a preset that you can recall at any time. Focus presets can be useful when shooting sports when action takes place at fixed positions. After setting the focus distances you desire, you can switch between them by turning the lens' playback ring. Audible beep sounds (defeatable) can indicate when the lens preset is set, and when the focus preset is recalled. Focus presets can be used in all focus modes, but cannot be used with Live View or Movie Shooting in some models.
Power Focus: The lens offers a Power Focus (PF) feature that can change the focus smoothly, which can be useful when shooting movies. With PF engaged, you can turn the Playback Ring to change the focus.
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The EF 400mm lens has a nearly silent Auto Focusing system, due to the fast inner focusing ring and the Ultrasonic Motor (USM). This system works with the EOS camera's high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms to give you fast, accurate focusing. In addition to lightning quick Auto Focusing, the lens also offers full-time manual focusing.
Image Stabilizer: The EF 400mm zoom lens has an optical image stabilization system that provides up to 5 stops of shake correction. Switches on the lens barrel let you turn the Stabilizer on or off, and select one of the following Stabilizer Modes:
- Mode 1: Corrects vibrations in all directions; mainly for shooting still subjects.
- Mode 2: While you are panning the camera horizontally or vertically, this mode corrects camera vibrations at right angles to the panning direction. It is suited to shooting moving subjects.
- Mode 3: During exposure, it corrects vibrations in the same way as Mode 2. It is suited to shooting irregularly moving subjects.
AF/MF Switch: A switch on the lens barrel lets you select Auto Focus (AF) or Manual Focus (MF). Full-time manual focus allows you to manually focus with the focus ring, even while the lens is in AF mode. The focusing ring on the lens always works, regardless of the focus mode selected.
Focusing Range Switch: The Focusing Range Switch lets you select a focusing range that helps to shorten the autofocusing time. There are three ranges to choose from: Full Range (2.5 m to infinity), 2.5 m to 7m (8.2' to 23'), or 7m (23') to infinity.
Aperture: The EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM features a 9-blade, circular aperture which creates beautiful out-of-focus areas and soft backgrounds.
Security Slot: The lens features a security slot to prevent theft. The slot is located under a protective cover, and allows you to attach a commercially-available wire-type security lock.
Tripod Mount: Because of its size and weight, the lens comes with a Canon Tripod Mount Ring. The tripod mount ring allows you to mount the camera onto a tripod by the lens instead of the camera body. The orientation locking knob can be loosened to allow you to quickly change between vertical and horizontal positions. The mount features "clicks" at four positions, every 90°.
Lens Hood: The included ET-155 lens hood helps keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protects the front element. When not in use, the hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens for storage.
Drop-in Filter Compatible: The EF 400mm lens is compatible with any 52(WIII)-series Canon drop-in filter. A drop-in screw-type filter holder is included with the lens, and will accept a single, 52mm filter. A PROTECT filter is included with the lens, and must be used if no other filter is being used.
Optional Lens Extenders: You can attach an optional Canon Extender for magnified shots. With the EF1.4X III Extender, the focal length becomes 560mm with an aperture of f/4-45. With the EF2X III Extender attached, the focal length changes to 800mm with an f/5.6-64 aperture.
- Focal Length: 400mm (full-range cameras); 640mm (APS-C cameras)
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 13 groups (including 2 fluorite elements and one super UD element)
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Aperture Type: 9-blade circular aperture
- Maximum Magnification: 0.17x
- Minimum Focus Distance: 8.2' (2.5m)
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 6° 10'
- Vertical: 3° 30'
- Horizontal: 5° 10'
- Filter Size: Any 52(WIII)-series drop-in filter
- Diameter: 6.42"
- Length: 13.5"
- Weight: 100.2 ounces