About the Canon Speedlite 90EX
Simple yet illuminating
Simple yet illuminating
The Canon Speedlite 90EX asks so little, but gives so much. Lightweight, compact, and easy to control, it's the perfect playmate for your Canon EOS M camera. It's designed to fit on to the EOS M's hot shoe and interface seamlessly with the EOS M's touchscreen menu, for intuitive control of your lighting options when your subject lives in the shadows.
The Speedlite 90EX can control multiple flash setups with optical light pulses that can synchronize up to three groups of slaved flash units, increasing its flexibility in the field.
- lightweight and compact construction makes it ideal for the Canon EOS M camera
- hot shoe contact is compatible with all EOS SLRs
- E-TTL flash exposure control
- E-TTL II for compatible Canon EOS cameras and EF series lenses
- AF assist beam ensures accurate autofocus in low light situations
- supports 24mm equivalent wide-angle lenses
- easy and intuitive operation: the unit is easily controlled via the EOS M's menu system
- flash uses optical light pulses to serve as a "master" unit in multiple flash setups
- maximum guide number (ISO 100) 30 ft./9m
- uses 2 "AAA" batteries (not included)
- weight: 1.8 oz. (without batteries)
- 1-3/4"W x 1-9/16"H x 2-7/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 6825B002
What's in the box:
- Speedlite 90EX flash
- Soft case
- Instruction Manual (Eng/Fren/Span)
- Warranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon Speedlite 90EX
Compatibility: The Speedlite 90EX is compatible with all Canon EOS cameras and PowerShot G-series cameras. It works will all E-TTL II and E-TTL autoflash systems. Its compact size and lightweight design makes it ideal for the Canon EOS M digital camera.
Shoe Mount: The 90EX flash features a standard Canon EOS hot shoe mount, and attaches to the intelligent shoe on the top of your compatible Canon EOS or PowerShot G-series camera. Flash trigger, exposure setting, and focal length (zoom) setting are transferred to the flash via the intelligent shoe.
Coverage: The flash has wide-angle coverage up to 15mm (24mm in 35mm terms), enabling it to work perfectly with a number of popular wide-angle zoom and fixed length lenses.
Fixed Angle: The firing direction of the flash is fixed. It cannot be angled in any direction for bounce flash.
Pilot Lamp: The pilot lamp lights when the flash is ready to fire.
Fully Automatic Flash Shooting: When you set the camera's shooting mode to program AE or full auto, E-TTL II/E-TTL fully automatic flash will make it as easy as normal AE shooting.
AF-Assist: When the camera's shutter release is pressed halfway, the flash may fire repeatedly as the AF-Assist beam to facilitate focusing in dark scenes. Its effective range is approximately 9.8'.
Wireless Flash: The Speedlite 90EX can be used as a master transmitter to control multiple flash units wirelessly. Through 4 channel optical light pulse transmission, the 90EX can control up to three groups of slave-enabled flashes, controlling power from 8:1 to 1:8 in 1/2-stop increments. Transmission range is approximately 16.4' indoors and 23' outdoors.
Camera Flash Control: When the 90EX is mounted to the EOS M or an EOS digital camera with external flash control, you can control the following functions with the camera:
- Flash Firing: You can enable or disable the flash. When disabled, you can still use the flash as an AF-assist beam.
- Flash Mode: You can set the flash for E-TTL II (automatic) or Manual.
- Shutter Sync: The flash can be set to the following sync types:
- 1st Curtain: Normal flash--flash fires when the shutter is fully open
- 2nd Curtain: Flash fires right before the shutter closes
- High-Speed: Enables flash shooting at all shutter speeds, effective when you want to use Aperture Priority for fill-flash portraits
- Flash Exposure Compensation: You can adjust the flash output level in the same way as normal exposure compensation.
- E-TTL II: You can select the following metering types:
- Evaluative: fully automatic flash shooting from dark scenes to fill-flash
- Average: metering averaged to the entire scene
- Wireless Function: Set to Optical Transmission or Off
- Optical Channel: 1, 2, 3, or 4
- Flash Group: All, A:B, A:B C
- Group Exposure Compensation: A, B, C
- Ratio Control: 8:1 to 1:8 (1/2-stop increments)
Batteries: The 90EX flash uses 2 AAA alkaline batteries. Using battery types other than Alkaline is not recommended due to irregular shape of the battery contacts. Canon's testing with alkaline batteries yields a recycle time of 0.1 - 5.5 seconds and a flash count of 100 flashes or more.
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the power will turn off automatically after approximately 5 minutes of idle operation. To turn the Speedlite back on again, press and hold the power button for one second or more.
- Width: 1.74"
- Height: 1.547"
- Depth: 2.823"
Weight: 1.8 oz. (without batteries)