About the Canon DM-E1
A versatile add-on microphone
Canon EOS cameras shoot sharp video, but sometimes they can use a little help to bring the audio quality up to the same standard. That's where the Canon DM-E1 accessory microphone comes in. It plugs into the 3.5mm accessory jack on any compatible EOS camera and adds clear, directional audio to the mix. A switch on the side of the microphone lets you choose a narrow-focus shotgun configuration, or widen the sound field to 90 or 120 degrees to capture more of what's going on around you. It's the difference between interviewing an individual and recording a full choir. An included battery powers the microphone, so your camera battery's life isn't affected.
- accessory microphone for Canon EOS cameras equipped with an external mic jack
- features three sound capture patterns: shotgun, 90°, and 120°
- included windscreen keeps wind noise to a minimum
- shock mount design isolates the microphone from noise and vibrations
- frequency range: 50-16,000 Hz
- independently powered by included CR2032 battery
- 1-5/8"W x 3-5/16"H x 5-1/8"D
- weight: 3.88 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1429C001
What's in the box:
- Directional microphone for Canon cameras with 11" mic cord (right-angled 3.5mm)
- CR2032 Lithium battery (installed)
- Wind screen
- Canon Limited Warranty sheet
- European Warranty System sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon DM-E1
Overview: The Canon DM-E1 Directional Stereo Microphone enables you to achieve high-quality audio when recording videos with your compatible Canon digital camera. The microphone includes a slip-on "furry" wind screen to reduce wind noise.
Compatibility: The DM-E1 is compatible with Canon EOS digital SLR cameras that have a 3.5mm microphone input. This includes most DSLR models, from the top-of-the-line professional models to the entry-level, including the EOS-M-series of compact digital cameras.
Directivity: The microphone features a three-way switch that lets you choose the directivity of the pickup pattern: Shotgun, 90°, and 120°. The Shotgun setting picks up sound in a narrow band in front of the camera. This would be suitable for picking up single musical instruments, dialogue, or for bird watching. The 90° Stereo mode is ideal for small musical groups, or a single subject with some adjacent sound. The 120° Stereo mode picks up sound over a wide angle, which would be recommended for recording choirs, large bands, or sound over a large area.
Mount: The DM-E1 microphone is equipped with a mounting foot that fits into the accessory shoe of the camera. Once the microphone is placed in the accessory shoe, it can be securely locked into place. The mount is shock-resistant to reduce contact noise and vibrations from camera and lens operation from being picked up by the microphone.
Battery Power: The DM-E1 is a condenser microphone, which requires power from an external source. Instead of using the camera's battery, the microphone is powered by a single CR2032 button-type battery. When the microphone is mounted to the camera, the camera's on/off switch also turns the microphone's power on/off to save its battery. A Power Check lamp on the back of the microphone lets you easily check the status of the battery.
- Type: Back electret stereo condenser shotgun microphone
- Frequency Response: 50 Hz to 16,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: -42 dB (Shotgun mode, 1 kHz, 0 dB = 1 V/Pa)
- Output Impedance: 550 Ω
- Dimensions: Width 1.683", Height 3.287", Depth 5.117"
- Weight: 3.88 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?