About the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
Superlative telephoto performance
Superlative telephoto performance
Canon's latest L Series super-telephoto 100-400mm lens makes a perfect choice for capturing photos of far-off subjects at sporting events or concerts, as well as shooting wildlife photography. Professional-grade optics, including one fluorite lens element and one UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) element, deliver crystal-clear, high-contrast photos. Record stunning images that freeze an athlete in mid-kick during a soccer game or bird in mid-flight at a national park.
New design with advanced features
Like many of Canon's professional L Series lens, this zoom features a rugged, water-and dust-resistant magnesium housing for exceptional durability in even the harshest shooting conditions. Its advanced optical image stabilizer provides up to four steps of image correction for better handheld shots. Canon's new Air Sphere Coating helps significantly reduce backlit flaring and ghosting, while fluorine coatings on the front and rear lens surfaces help resist smears and fingerprints. Other useful features include a new inner focusing system for fast and accurate autofocus down to 3.2 feet, plus a rotation-type zoom ring with adjustable torque settings for more precise, customizable zoom performance. Canon also included a redesigned tripod mount that can be attached and detached without removing the lens from the camera, and an all-new lens hood with a side window that makes it simple to adjust specialty filters, like polarizers, without the need to remove the hood.
- EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Canon EOS film and digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 100-400mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 160-640mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Canon pro-quality L Series lens for superior image sharpness and durability
- Image Stabilization II allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four stops slower shutter speed)
- three image stabilization modes (standard, panning, and during exposure only) provide outstanding results for a wide range of shooting situations
- inner-focusing design with ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- rotation-type zoom ring allows for more precise composition and excellent balance when shooting hand-held
- zoom torque adjustment ring allows easy custom setting of zoom tension
- one fluorite and one UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass elements reduce chromatic aberration for outstanding contrast and clarity
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps significantly reduce backlit flaring and ghosting
- protective fluorine coating on front and rear lens surfaces reduces smears and fingerprints
- available full-time manual focusing
- dust- and water-resistant magnesium housing for long-term reliability even when shooting in harsh conditions
- newly designed tripod mount can be attached or detached without removing the lens from the camera
- included lens hood with side window permits specialty filters to be adjusted with hood in place
- minimum focus distance: 3.2 feet
- circular 9-blade aperture
- constructed of 21 elements in 16 groups
- filter size: 77mm
- lens is 7-5/8" long, 3-3/4" in diameter
- weight: 57.9 ounces (with tripod mount attached)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood, front and rear lens cap, tripod mounting ring, and soft storage case
- MFR # 9524B002
What's in the box:
- EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM zoom lens
- E-77II Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ET-83D Lens hood
- Tripod mount (installed)
- LZ1326 Lens case
- Warranty card
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
Overview: The Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens is a lightweight, high-performance telephoto zoom lens for Canon EOS full-frame and APS-C cameras. When used on APS-C cameras, the focal length is equivalent to 160-640mm. It has a standard Canon EF-mount, and comes with front and rear lens caps, a lens hood, and a padded storage case.
Image Stabilizer: The EF100-400mm zoom lens has an optical image stabilization system that provides up to four stops of shake correction. There are three stabilizer modes:
- Mode 1: Corrects vibrations in all directions; mainly for shooting still subjects.
- Mode 2: Compensates for vertical camera shake while you are panning the camera, following a moving subject. It also compensates for horizontal camera shake when tilting the camera in a vertical direction.
- Mode 3: Corrects vibration only during exposure. During panning shots, it corrects vibration during exposure only in one direction (same as Mode 2).
Zooming Resistance: The resistance of the zoom ring can be adjusted to suit your preference. The Zoom Touch Adjustment ring tightens or loosens the operational feel of the zoom control. The ring can be rotated toward Tight to increase the zooming touch, or Smooth to reduce it.
AF/MF Switch: A switch on the lens barrel lets you select Auto Focus (AF) or Manual Focus (MF). Full-time manual focus allows you to manually focus with the focus ring, even while the lens is in AF mode.
Focusing Range Switch: The Focusing Range Switch lets you select a focusing range of either Full (3.22' to infinity) or 3m/9.84' to infinity, depending on shooting conditions. By setting an appropriate focusing range, the actual focusing time can be reduced.
Lens Hood: The included ET-83D lens hood can keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protect the front element. The hood includes a circular polarizing filter adjustment window, which allows you to rotate the circular polarizing filter while the hood is attached. When attached, the lens hood adds approximately 4" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, the hood can be mounted in reverse on the lens.
Optional Lens Extenders: You can attach an optional Canon Extension Tube for magnified shots. With the EF1.4X II or EF1.4X III Extender, the focal length becomes 140-560mm with an aperture of f/6.3-45 (W) f/8-57 (T). With the EF2X II or EF2X III Extender attached, the focal length changes to 200-800mm with an f/9-64 (W) f/11-81 (T) aperture.
- Focal Length: 100-400mm
- Lens Construction: 21 elements in 16 groups
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.5 (W) to f/5.6 (T)
- Minimum Aperture: f/32 (W) to f/40 (T) (or f/38 with 1/2-stop increments)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.22' (0.98m)
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 24° to 6°10'
- Vertical: 14° to 3°30'
- Horizontal: 20° to 5°10'
- Filter Size: 77mm
- Diameter: 3.7"
- Length: 7.6" (8.55" with lens caps)
- Weight: 55.4 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?