About the Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS USM
This Canon EF-S series lens offers fast, quiet autofocus, and a versatile focal range for shooting with compatible Canon digital SLRs, such as the EOS T1i and 50D cameras. Its Image Stabilization (IS) technology also lets you take sharp, in-focus photographs in all sorts of lighting conditions.
Image Stabilization for better pictures
We've all taken a picture that turned out blurry because our hands moved a bit. Canon's Image Stabilization elegantly solves this problem. Built-in vibration sensors steer a special set of optical elements inside the lens, neatly compensating for camera movement and stabilizing the image. You get much sharper pictures — even in low-light conditions where hand motion can easily cause blurred images with a regular lens. IS lenses are favorites with photographers who don't like to carry along a tripod on every excursion, but who require crisp photos as a matter of course.
Speedy, near-silent autofocus and versatile shooting
High-tech Image Stabilization isn't the only advantage provided by this lens. A built-in ring-type Ultrasonic Motor makes autofocus very fast and very quiet. We also like its extra wide-angle picture-taking capability — you can really move in close to your subjects for cool looking closeups. Plus, wide-angle shooting makes it easy to snap large group shots of folks in tight quarters, or record sweeping panoramic landscapes.
- EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM extra wide-angle to telephoto zoom lens with 35mm equivalent of 24-136mm
- compatible with Canon APS-C format digital SLR cameras
- Image Stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four stops slower shutter speed)
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor for fast, silent autofocus
- available full-time manual focusing (automatically overrides autofocus)
- minimum focus distance: approximately 14 inches
- minimum aperture: f/22 (at 15mm)/f/36 (at 85mm)
- constructed of 17 elements in 12 groups
- filter size: 72mm
- lens is 3-7/8" long, 3-1/4" in diameter
- front and rear lens caps included
- weight: 20.3 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3560B002
What's in the box:
- EF 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens
- E-72mm Lens cap (installed)
- Rear cap (installed)
- Instruction book
- Warranty card
Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS USM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS USM
Overview: The Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM features a focal length range equivalent to 24-136mm in 35mm format, image stabilization, and high-precision optics. The EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM offers stellar performance from wide-angle through to telephoto.
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The EF 15-85mm lens is equipped with a ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for silent, high-speed auto focusing.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether you are in manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually change the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Focus Mode Switch: You can switch between Auto Focus and Manual Focus using the two-way switch on the barrel of the lens.
Zoom Ring: The lens has a rotary type zoom ring. The lens barrel indicates the zoom range between 15mm and 85mm, with marks at 15mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, and 85mm.
Image Stabilizer: Camera shake can cause blurring when shooting in low light and at long focal lengths. Canon's advanced Image Stabilizer uses digital technology to detect camera shake and signal precise lens shifts that compensate for the movement.
Optional Filters: The EF 15-85mm lens has an 72mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Focal Length/Aperture: 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6
- Lens Construction: 12 groups, 17 elements
- Minimum Aperture: f/22-36
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.5-5.6
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 84° 30' - 18° 25'
- Vertical: 53° 30' - 10° 25'
- Horizontal: 74° 10' - 15° 25'
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.2' (0.35m)
- Diameter: 3.225"
- Length: 3.835" (4.285" with caps)
- Weight: 20.3 ounces