About the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens
Telephoto zoom lens for closeups of distant objects
This Canon L Series lens is ideal for capturing photos of far-off subjects at sporting events or concerts, as well as shooting wildlife photography. Professional-grade optics, including one fluorite lens element and one UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) element, deliver crystal-clear, high-contrast photos. Record stunning images that freeze an athlete in mid-kick during a soccer game or bird in mid-flight at a national park.
Built-in image stabilization for clear photos
The lens features image stabilization. Built-in motion sensors steer a special set of optical elements inside the lens, neatly compensating for camera movement and stabilizing the image. You get much sharper pictures — even in low-light conditions where slower shutter speeds and hand motion can easily cause blurred images with a regular lens.
- EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Canon EOS film and digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 100-400mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 160-640mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Canon pro-quality L Series lens for superior image sharpness and durability
- Image Stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to two stops slower shutter speed)
- one fluorite and one UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass elements for outstanding contrast and clarity
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- minimum aperture: f/32-40
- minimum focus distance: 5.9 feet
- constructed of 17 elements in 14 groups
- filter size: 77mm
- lens is 7-7/16" long, 3-5/8" in diameter
- weight: 48.7 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood, lens cap, tripod mounting ring, and soft case
- MFR # 2577A002
What's in the box:
- EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens with attached Tripod Mounting Ring
- E-77mm Lens cap (installed)
- Rear cap (installed)
- ET-83C Lens hood
- LZ1324 Lens case
- Adjustable strap
- Instruction book
- Warranty card
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens
Overview: The Canon EF100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM lens is an L-series super telephoto lens for Canon EOS cameras. The lens features an Image Stabilizer (IS), an Ultrasonic Motor (USM), plus Fluorite and UD lens elements for truly exceptional imaging capability. The lens includes the LZ1234 Lens Case, the ET-83C Lens Hood, and a tripod mounting ring.
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The EF 100-400mm lens is equipped with a ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for silent, high-speed auto focusing.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The lens is equipped with a dual-mode image stabilizer to assist you in hand-held shooting at slow shutter speeds. The Image Stabilizer can be turned on or off, and the Stabilizer Mode selected using the dual two-way switches on the barrel of the lens. The IS Mode should be selected for the following conditions:
- IS Mode 1:
- In semi-darkened areas such as indoors or outdoors at night
- In locations where flash photography is prohibited, such as art museums and theater stages
- In situations where fast shutter settings cannot be used
- In situations where your footing is uncertain
- IS Mode 2:
- When panning subjects in motion
- When following subjects that are moving erratically
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether you're in manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually change the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Focus Mode Switch: You can switch between Auto Focus and Manual Focus using the two-way switch on the barrel of the lens.
Focus Range Switch: The range switch lets you select a focusing range of either 1.8 meters/5.9 feet to infinity or 6.5 meters/21.3 feet, depending on shooting conditions. The setting can reduce the actual focusing time.
Zoom Ring: The lens has a push-pull type zoom ring. The lens barrel indicates the zoom range between 24mm and 70mm, with marks at 135mm, 150mm, 200mm, 250mm, 300mm, and 350mm. You can adjust the zooming "touch" (resistance), turning the adjustment ring toward smooth or tight as desired. You can also lock the zoom ring in place at a desired focal length.
Lens Hood: The lens kit includes the ET-83C lens hood to keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protects the front of the lens. The hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens for storage. When installed, the hood adds approximately 3-7/16 to the overall length and 15/16" to the overall diameter of the lens.
Tripod Mount: The supplied tripod mount allows you to quickly switch the camera between landscape and portrait positions while it is mounted on a tripod. The tripod mount can be detached if desired.
Optional Filters: The EF 100-400mm lens has an 77mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Image Size: 24 x 36mm
- Focal Length/Aperture: 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 14 groups
- Minimum Aperture: f/32-f/38 (for models with 1/3-step aperture increments, the values are f/32-f/40
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.5-f/5.6
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 24° - 6° 10'
- Vertical: 14° - 3° 30'
- Horizontal: 20° - 5° 10'
- Minimum Focus Distance: 5.9' (70.8") or 1.8 meters
- Diameter: 3.596"
- Length: 7.723"-10.87" (8.279"-11.412" with caps)
- Weight: 48 ounces (53.3 oz. with tripod mount)