About the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
Long-distance problem solver
Long-distance problem solver
Action and distance. two photographic challenges that become even trickier when combined. It's good news that this EF 300mm f/4 image-stabilizing lens is here to help you reach across space and capture motion-freezing shots With its fast, light-gathering f/4 maximum aperture and nimble image-stabilization technology, it provides a level of performance seldom found in a lens of its size and weight.
This lens has all of the precision optical technology you've come to expect from Canon. Ultra-low dispersion (UD) elements and sophisticated coatings provide for great dirt and oil resistance with a minimum of ghosting and chromatic aberration. And the two image-stabilization modes will allow you to shoot at slower shutter speeds, increasing your ability to shoot in lowere light levels.
Created for the enthusiast
Weather-resistant and outfitted with full-time manual focus, this lens is an ideal tool for the news/nature/sports shooter on the move. An eight-bladed iris, at wide aperture, helps create smooth background blurs that make your foreground subject pop. With all this going for it, you'll probably find it living in the most accessible part of your kit bag.
- EF 300mm f/4L IS USM telephoto lens
- compatible with Canon EOS film and digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 300mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 390mm with APS-H sensor cameras
- 480mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Canon pro-quality L Series lens for superior image sharpness and durability
- Image Stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to two stops slower shutter speed)
- two Optical Image Stabilizer modes:
- Mode 1 provides optimum performance with stationary subjects
- Mode 2 provides a smoother view through the finder when horizontally or vertically panning moving subjects
- two UD (ultra-low distortion) elements deliver sharper images with less chromatic aberration
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- lightweight and durable
- dust-proof and water-resistant design
- available full-time manual focusing
- minimum focus distance: 4.9 feet
- lens construction: 15 elements in 11 groups
- filter size: 77mm
- lens is 8-15/16" long, 3-9/16" in diameter
- weight: 2.6 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- tripod mounting foot
- built-in lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- carrying case
- MFR # 2530A004
What's in the box:
- EF300mm f/4L IS USM
- E-77 II Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Tripod Mount Ring B (W) (installed)
- Zippered storage case (LZ-1128)
- Case strap
- Instructions on CD-ROM
- EF Lens Quick Guide
- Warranty/Product Registration card
Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
Features & specs
|Mount Type||Canon EF-mount|
|Sensor Size||Full frame|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon EF300mm f/4L IS USM lens is a high-performance telephoto lens for use with Canon EOS cameras. The lens features a built-in Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for quick and quiet autofocusing, and an Image Stabilizer. The lens is constructed of 15 elements in 11 groups, including UD (ultra-low dispersion) elements for excellent imaging capability.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The built-in Image Stabilizer can be used in the AF (autofocus) or MF (manual focus) modes. The Image Stabilizer starts operating when you press the shutter button halfway, and gives the equivalent effect of a shutter speed two stops faster. Two switches located on the barrel of the lens allow you to turn the image stabilizer on and off, and switch between the two stabilizer modes:
- Mode 1: used for normal photography; corrects vibrations in all directions
- Mode 2: corrects vertical camera shake during following shots in a horizontal direction; also corrects horizontal camera shake during following shots in a vertical direction.
Focus Modes: The EF300mm lens is equipped with a two-way switch for setting the Focus Mode. You can choose from AF (auto focus) or MF (manual focus). In Manual Focus mode, you can focus on your subject by turning the focus ring. The focusing ring always works, regardless of the focus mode.
Focus Range Switch: You can switch between two focusing ranges using the two-way switch on the barrel of the lens. You can choose from a range of 1.5 meters (4.9') to infinity, or a range of 3 meters (9.8') to infinity. Depending on your subject matter, the correct choice of focus range can reduce the auto focusing time.
Lens Hood: The built-in, non-detachable lens hood cuts out unwanted light and protects the lens from rain, snow, and dust. Extending the lens hood adds approximately 2-3/8 inches to the overall length of the lens.
Tripod Mount: The included tripod mount ring allows you to mount the camera onto a tripod by the lens instead of the camera body. You can loosen the orientation lock knob on the tripod mount and rotate it as needed for switching between vertical and horizontal positions.
Display Window: The EF300mm lens has a display window on the barrel near the focus range switch that provides the following:
- Infinity Compensation Mark: The lens provides an "L" infinity mark to compensate for shifting of the infinity focus point that results from changes in temperature. The infinity position at normal temperature is the point at which the vertical line of the L mark is aligned with the distance indicator on the distance scale.
- Infrared Index: The infrared index corrects the focus setting when using monochrome infrared film.
Optional Lens Extenders: The lens is compatible with EF1.4x II and EF2x II lens extenders (sold separately). The extenders will increase the focal length to 420mm (EF1.4x) and 600mm (EF2x).
- Focal Length: 300mm
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Maximum Aperture: f/4
- Minimum Focus Distance: 4.9 feet
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 8° 15'
- Vertical: 4° 35'
- Horizontal: 6° 50'
- Dimensions: 3.559" Diameter, 8.902" Length, 42 Ounces
The Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM replaces these items
- rugged magnesium/titanium construction for reduced weight and added durability
- large f/2.8 maximum aperture for fantastic long-range photos in a wide variety of shooting environments
- three optical image stabilization modes for smoother viewfinder framing and in-focus shots
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked