About the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Welcome to the world of prime lenses
Welcome to the world of prime lenses
You've spent some time getting to know your Canon SLR camera, diligently learning the ins and outs while practicing with your kit lens, and now you're ready for a lens upgrade. The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens is an affordable way to explore what a prime lens can do for you. You probably already know it'll be an improvement, but just wait until it's mounted on your camera and you're happily shooting away. Once you see how clear and sharp your photos can be, you might wonder how you got by with that kit lens for so long.
With a 50mm focal length and wide f/1.8 maximum aperture, this lens is super-versatile. Perfect for close-ups and portraits indoors or out, street scenes and landscapes by day or night, it's an all-around great everyday lens that's lightweight enough to take anywhere. If you like shooting movies with sound, you'll appreciate the smooth, ultra-quiet autofocus the lens's stepping motor gives you, in addition to the dreamy image quality you get from a large-aperture fixed lens.
- 50mm f/1.8 STM (stepping autofocus motor) lens
- compatible with all Canon digital and film SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 50mm with full-frame sensor digital or 35mm film cameras
- 80mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- minimum focus distance: 13.8"
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
- diaphragm blades: 7
- filter/attachment size: 49mm
- lens is 2-3/4" in diameter, 1-9/16" long
- weight: 5.64 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- front and rear lens caps
- MFR # 0570C002
What's in the box:
- EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens
- E-49 Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap
- Warranty Card
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Features & specs
|Mount Type||Canon EF-mount|
|Sensor Size||Full frame|
|Lens Type||Standard to Medium Telephoto|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens is a standard-to-medium telephoto lens for Canon EOS full-frame and APS-C cameras. When used on APS-C cameras, the focal length is equivalent to 80mm. The lens is ideal for shooting everyday photos. With a large f/1.8 aperture, you can shoot in low-light conditions. It has a standard Canon EF-mount, and comes with front and rear lens caps.
AF/MF Switch: A switch on the lens barrel lets you select Auto Focus (AF) or Manual Focus (MF). Full-time manual focus allows you to manually focus with the focus ring, even while the lens is in AF mode.
Stepping Motor: The gear-type Stepping Motor (STM) provides smooth and quiet continuous auto focusing. It supports the Movie Servo AF, making it ideal for video shooting as well as shooting still photos.
Optional Accessories: The following accessories are available directly from Canon:
- ES-68 Lens Hood: The ES-68 is designed specifically for the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. It helps to prevent stray light from entering the lens to avoid unwanted glare from affecting your photos.
- LP1014 Lens Pouch: The optional LP1014 lens pouch can protect the lens and keep it clean.
- Extension Tubes: You can attach the optional Canon EF-12 II or EF-25 II Extension Tubes for magnified shots.
- Focal Length: 50mm (80mm on APS-C camera)
- Lens Construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Aperture Type: 7 blade circular
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.15' (13.8")
- Magnification: 0.21x
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 46°
- Vertical: 27°
- Horizontal: 40°
- Filter Size: 49mm
- Diameter: 2.719"
- Length: 1.742" (2.474" with lens caps)
- Weight: 5.7 ounces
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM replaces these items
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 80mm
- large maximum aperture (f/1.8) for better low-light photography
- compatible with all Canon EOS SLR cameras
1 question already asked