About the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
A new take on a popular Canon lens
A new take on a popular Canon lens
Canon's 55-250 f/4-5.6 lens has been a favorite telephoto zoom lens of EOS Rebel camera enthusiasts for a while. So it's interesting and welcome to see Canon rethink this class of lens by adding an ultra-quiet stepping motor, plus a new on-board CPU and reimagined autofocus algorithm. All this innovation adds up to a speedy, stealthy, quick-reacting lens that's perfect for videography challenges as well as still photography.
Sitting at a convenient 88-400mm equivalent focal range, this lens will take you from portrait length to outdoor sports shots, all while being lightweight and easy to stow. You'll be able to do more with static images in low-light thanks to Image Stabilization, too. Built-in motion sensors steer a special set of optical elements inside the lens, neatly compensating for camera movement and stabilizing the image. You get much sharper pictures — even in low-light environments where hand motion can easily cause blurred images with a regular lens.
- EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM zoom lens with 35mm equivalent of 88-400mm
- Image Stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to 3.5 shutter speeds slower)
- UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass lens element corrects chromatic aberration for excellent image quality throughout the zoom range
- stepping motor, high-speed CPU, and new autofocus algorithm delivers smooth, quiet, and continuous autofocus that's ideal for video shooting
- compatible with Canon APS-C format digital SLR cameras
- minimum focus distance: 2.79 ft.
- minimum aperture: f22 (at 55mm)/f32 (at 250mm)
- lens construction: 15 elements in 12 groups
- attachment/filter size: 58mm
- weight: 13.2 oz.
- lens is 4-13/16" long, 2-13/16" in diameter
- front and rear lens caps included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 8546B002
What's in the box:
- Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens
- E-58 II Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Warranty Card
- Usage Precautions
More details on the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Overview: The Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens is a telephoto zoom lens for use with select Canon EOS cameras. It has an Image Stabilizer (IS) that helps eliminate image blur caused by camera shake. The lens also features a built-in Stepping Motor (STM) that drives the focus lens for smooth and quiet Movie Servo AF. The lens is constructed of 15 elements in 12 groups, including UD (ultra-low dispersion) elements for excellent imaging capability.
EF-S Lenses: Canon's EF-S lenses are designed for Canon EOS 7D, 70D, 60D, and all EOS Rebel and Digital Rebel cameras with APS-C sized image sensors (with a 1.6x crop factor). EF-S lenses take advantage of the sensor's smaller size to deliver optimized performance in compact, lightweight designs.
Focus Modes: The EF-S 55-250mm lens is equipped with a two-way switch for setting the Focus Mode. You can choose from AF (auto focus) or MF (manual focus). In Manual Focus mode, you can focus on your subject by turning the focus ring. The focusing ring always works, regardless of the focus mode.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The built-in Image Stabilizer provides an equivalent of up to 3.5 stops of shake correction. This function is particularly helpful during handheld photography, and when shooting far away objects with the lens at full zoom. The Image Stabilizer can be activated using the two-way switch on the barrel of the lens.
7-Blade Aperture: The lens' 7-blade circular aperture delivers beautiful, soft backgrounds.
Optional Lens Hood: The optional ET-63 lens hood prevents stray light from entering the lens, and protects the lens from rain, snow, and dust.
Optional Extension Tubes: The lens is compatible with the optional EF12 II and EF25 II extension tubes for magnified shots.
Precaution With Rebel T4i/650D Camera: When using the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens with the Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D camera, you will need to update the firmware to version 1.0.4 or later. Otherwise, you may risk a chance that the camera will temporarily stop operating.
- Focal Length: 55-250mm
- Minimum Aperture: f/22-32
- Maximum Aperture: f/4-5.6
- Minimum Focus Distance: 2.79 feet
- Maximum Magnification: 0.29x (at 250mm)
- Filter Diameter: 58mm
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 27° 50' - 6° 15'
- Vertical: 15° 40' - 3° 30'
- Horizontal: 23° 20' - 5° 20'
- Dimensions: 2.758" Diameter, 4.754" Length, 13.2 Ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?