About the Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II USM
The high-performance Canon 70-200mm L Series lens is unbeatable for shooting sports, wildlife, and portraits. It delivers the telephoto power and fast autofocus you need for taking rapid-fire shots of far-off subjects. Canon's next-generation image stabilization technology helps minimize the effects of camera shake — allowing you to get crisp photos at four shutter speeds slower than with other lenses. You'll really see the difference that pro-quality glass makes in every brilliant, high-contrast shot. Find out why Canon L Series lenses are world-renowned for superior optics and rugged reliability.
The 70-200mm focal range and large maximum aperture make this lens ideal for photographing stunning portraits. You can softly blur unnecessary background details, while making your crisply focused subject pop from the photo. The maximum aperture of f/2.8 remains constant throughout the zoom range. That means your images stay bright as you zero in, and your exposure values remain unchanged (a very handy feature when shooting manually).
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Canon EOS film and digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 70-200mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 112-320mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Canon pro-quality L Series lens for superior image sharpness and durability
- Image Stabilization II allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four stops slower shutter speed)
- large f/2.8 maximum aperture for better hand-held shooting in low-light environments
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- available full-time manual focusing
- minimum focus distance: 3.9 feet
- lens construction: 23 elements in 19 groups
- one Fluorite and five UD elements increase optical quality and reduce chromatic aberrations
- filter size: 77mm
- lens is 8-3/16" long, 3-1/2" in diameter
- weight: 52.6 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- tripod mounting ring
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- zippered carrying case
- MFR # 2751B002
What's in the box:
- EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens
- E-77U Lens cap (installed)
- Back dust cap (installed)
- ET-87 Lens hood
- Tripod Mount Ring B(W) (installed)
- Adjustable strap
- LZ1326 Zippered carrying case
- Warranty Card
More details on the Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II USM
Overview: The Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens is an L-series, telephoto zoom lens for Canon EOS cameras. The lens features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It also has the latest generation Optical Image Stabilizer (IS II), and an Ultrasonic Motor (USM). The lens includes the LZ1326 Zippered Lens Case, the Tripod Mount Ring B (W), and the ET-87 Lens Hood.
Image Stabilizer II (IS II): The next generation Image Stabilizer (IS II) provides up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths, in either AF or MF mode. There are two Image Stabilizer Modes:
- Mode 1: corrects vibrations in all directions; mainly for shooting still subjects.
- Mode 2: compensates for vertical camera shake during following shots in a horizontal direction, and compensates for horizontal camera shake during following shots in a vertical direction.
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The EF50mm lens is equipped with an Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for silent, high-speed auto focusing.
Zoom Ring: With the 70-200mm lens, zooming is performed by rotating the zoom ring (closest to the camera body). Markings are provided at 70, 100, 135, and 200mm.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether you're in manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring (closest to the end of the lens) always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually change the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Focus Mode Switch: You can switch between Auto Focus and Manual Focus using the two-way AF/MF switch on the barrel of the lens.
Focus Range Switch: The range switch lets you select a focusing range of either 1.2 meters/3.9 feet to infinity or 2.5 meters/8.2 feet to infinity, depending on shooting conditions. The setting can reduce the overall auto focusing time.
Lens Hood: The lens kit includes the ET-87 lens hood to keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protects the front of the lens. The hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens for storage. When installed, the hood adds approximately 3-5/16" to the overall length and 15/16" to the overall diameter of the lens.
Tripod Mounting Ring: The lens comes with the Tripod Mount Ring B (W) attached. Mounting the lens to the tripod instead of the camera provides better balance, and reduces strain on the camera's tripod threads due to the weight of the lens. The ring can be loosened by turning the lock knob, allowing it to rotate as needed to fit a particular camera model, or switching between vertical and horizontal positions. It can also be removed if desired.
Optional Filters: The EF70-200mm lens has a 77mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Focal Length/Aperture: 70-200mm f/2.8
- Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Maximum Magnification: 0.21x (at 200mm)
- Field of View: 12.1" x 18.2" to 4.5" x 6.7" (at 3.9')
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 34° to 12°
- Vertical: 19°30' to 7°
- Horizontal: 29° to 10°
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.9' (1.2m)
- Supplied Accessories:
- Lens Hood: ET-87
- Lens Cap: E-77U
- Tripod Mount Ring: B (W)
- Case: LZ1326
- Diameter: 3.492"
- Length: 8.137" (8.67" with caps)
- Weight: 52.6 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?