About the Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM
It's all about the details
It's all about the details
This 35mm f/2.8 lens from Canon lets you get within five and a half inches of the tiniest subjects for sharp, detailed close-ups. Its compact size and 56mm equivalent focal length make it perfect for portraits and everyday photography, too.
This lens's stepping motor (STM) delivers silky-smooth, whisper-quiet autofocus — great for shooting smooth video sequences. Built-in Hybrid Image Stabilization compensates for angle shift and camera shake, which cause more pronounced blurring in macro and close-up shots. It also comes in handy when you're shooting stills or video in low light without a tripod.
Flexible built-in lighting
A built-in Macro Lite at the end of the lens lets you light your subject the way you want. Right and left lamps can be controlled independently, or you can use both together for more even lighting. You can also choose the intensity level (bright or dim) so you get the exact look you're after.
- EF-S 35mm f/2.8L Macro IS STM Lens
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 56mm
- compatible with APS-C sensor Canon EOS digital SLR cameras
- built-in Macro light for controlled lighting
- right and left lamps can be controlled independently
- adjustable intensity (bright or dim)
- built-in Hybrid Image Stabilization compensates for angle shift and camera shake for sharper macro images
- stepping motor (STM) enables smooth, quiet autofocusing
- full-time manual focus override
- lens construction: 10 elements in 6 groups
- GMo (Glass-Molded) aspherical element for outstanding image quality
- 7-blade circular aperture creates smooth, softly blurred backgrounds
- filter size: 49mm
- lens is 2-3/4" in diameter, 2-1/4" long
- weight: 6.7 oz.
- includes lens hood and front and rear lens caps
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 2220C002
What's in the box:
- EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM
- EF-S35 Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ES-27 Lens hood
- EF Lens Instructions
- Warranty/Registration sheet
Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM
Overview: The Canon EF-S 35mm F2.8 Macro IS STM lens is a standard macro lens for Canon EOS cameras with an APS-C image sensor. When used on full-frame cameras, the focal length is equivalent to 56mm. The lens features a Stepping Motor (STM) for smooth, quiet auto focus, and Image Stabilization (IS) for blur-free images.
Built-in Macro Lites: The EF-S 35mm F2.8 Macro IS STM is the first EF-S lens to feature a built-in Macro Lite, allowing you to light the subject of your close-up shots. There are two independently-controlled lights, left and right, with dual brightness settings (bright and dim) to give you plenty of lighting options. The switch for the Macro Lite is conveniently located on the lens barrel.
Stepping Motor (STM): The EF-S 35mm Macro lens is equipped with a Stepping Motor (STM), and an attached lead screw, that drives the focusing lens during AF. The lens is especially effective during movie shooting with cameras that have the Canon EOS Movie Servo AF function, allowing quiet, smooth auto focusing.
Hybrid Image Stabilizer (IS): The lens features a Hybrid Image Stabilizer to help minimize blurring caused by small movements when taking handheld photos. The Hybrid IS minimizes up and down camera shake, as well as when tilting or using the camera on an angle. You can turn the Image Stabilizer on or off via a switch on the lens barrel.
AF/MF Switch: A switch on the lens barrel lets you select Auto Focus (AF) or Manual Focus (MF). Full-time manual focus allows you to manually focus with the focus ring, even while the lens is in AF mode.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the ES-27 lens hood which serves three purposes:
- Blocks out damaging light, and protects the lens from rain, snow, dust, or other elements.
- Prevents the white ring from the Macro Lites on the front of the lens from being reflected back into your images.
- Acts as an adapter when screw-on filters are used. It has a 49mm filter thread.
Note: When attached, the ES-27 lens hood adds approximately 9/16" to the overall length of the lens.
Construction: The EF-S 35mm lens has 10 elements in 6 groups, including one aspherical lens. The glass-molded (GMo) aspheric lens gives you sharp images across the entire scene with a high level of detail.
Optional Extension Tubes: The optional Canon EF12 II or EF25 II extension tubes can be uses for magnified shots.
- Focal Length: 35mm
- Lens Construction: 10 elements in 6 groups
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Minimum Focus Distance: 5.16" (0.43')
- Maximum Magnification: 1x
- Field of View: Approx. 0.59" x 0.88" (at 5.16")
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 42°35'
- Vertical: 24°20'
- Horizontal: 35°55'
- Aperture: 7-blade circular
- Filter Size: 49mm (when the ES-27 lens hood is used)
- Diameter: 2.732"
- Length: 2.585" (3.16" with lens caps)
- Weight: 6.7 ounces