About the Canon EOS R (no lens included)
A star is born
A star is born
Canon's first full-frame mirrorless camera is finally here. Whether you're an amateur or a pro, the 30.3-megapixel EOS R can keep up with your demands. This agile camera excels in different shooting situations and in all kinds of lighting. If you need a fast, responsive camera that produces pro-quality high-resolution still images and 4K video — and is easy to take along anywhere — this little beauty is for you.
A natural choice for Canon DSLR shooters
If you're a loyal Canon shooter, you'll notice that the EOS R has a familiar look and feel. Only it's much slimmer than the camera bodies you're used to lugging around. The grip on this camera is substantial and it feels great in-hand. Forget about wrist fatigue after hours of shooting!
Keep using your favorite Canon EF and EF-S DSLR lenses
Canon has already released a handful of high-quality RF-mount lenses for the EOS R, but you don't have to wait for more options to max out this camera's imaging potential. You can use your existing EF and EF-S lenses with an optional mount adapter. The camera recognizes when you attach an EF-S lens and will crop your images accordingly.
The EOS R is equipped with a high-performance DIGIC 8 image processor for outstanding image quality and fast continuous shooting at up to eight frames per second. The ISO range of 100-40000 yields excellent results in available light. The camera's megapixel-packed full-frame sensor further enhances low-light performance, with reduced noise even at higher ISO settings.
Keep up with the action
The camera's Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus system enables fast, smooth autofocus performance. Movie focus is natural and precise, even when switching between subjects. With as many as 5,655 manually selectable AF points and high-speed focusing in as little as 0.05 seconds, you can maintain focus and capture fast action with speed, accuracy, and ease.
Intuitive framing and focusing
With a high-resolution electronic viewfinder and a large 3.15" touchscreen, the EOS R offers easy, intuitive shooting. The touchscreen rotates to help you compose shots from high or low angles, and it even turns to face you for the perfect self-portrait or group shot. Touch and Drag autofocus makes it easy to switch focus by dragging the AF frame on the LCD screen. And you can even do it while looking through the viewfinder.
Put your vision in motion with 4K and Full HD video recording
If you're new to videography, the EOS R is easy to handle and fun to use. It shoots 4K video at up to 30 frames per second, and Full HD 60p movies that can be saved as MP4s for easy sharing. You can rely on continuous autofocus for easy shooting, and select autofocus points on the touchscreen while the camera is rolling.
Experienced videographers will appreciate some of the EOS R's more advanced recording features. The Canon Log gamma selection reduces heavy shadows and blown-out highlights, for movie images with approximately 12 stops of dynamic range at ISO 400. A 10-bit 4:2:2 HDMI output lets you record 4K footage to an external drive. There's a microphone input for capturing high-quality sound, and a headphone jack for monitoring audio recording.
Wireless connectivity for added versatility and convenience
The EOS R's Wi-Fi lets you upload and share photos and videos in moments. Canon's free Camera Connect app lets you manage your photos and videos on your phone or tablet. And you can use your device as a remote to trigger the shutter with just a quick touch.
- 30.3-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor
- DIGIC 8 image processor for speedy operation and reduced noise at high ISO settings
- compatible with Canon RF lenses
- optional mount adapters allow you to use Canon EF and EF-S lenses
- not compatible with Canon EF-M lenses
- built-in Wi-Fi allows easy file sharing and remote control from smart devices
- 3.15" high-resolution 2.10-million-dot LCD rotating touchscreen with anti-smudge coating and brightness control
- high-resolution 3.69-million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder
- provides 100% frame coverage
- dust- and water-resistant sealing allows use in a variety of weather conditions
- 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Canon Log gamma profile supports HDR movie production
- 10-bit 4:2:2 HDMI output lets you record cinema-quality video to an external monitor
- self-cleaning sensor with dust deletion feature
- Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus system for fast, accurate focusing
- up to 5,655 manually selectable AF points
- Face+Tracking AF mode locks focus for sharp captures of moving subjects
- Touch and Drag AF mode lets you select a focus point on the LCD screen without moving your eye away from the viewfinder
- Digital Lens Optimizer limits image deterioration and corrects aberrations for improved image quality
- can be used during shooting or while editing RAW files
- rechargeable LP-E6N lithium ion battery, charger, IFC-100U interface cable, and neck strap included
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- up to 8 frames per second in high-speed continuous shooting mode
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- new flexible-priority Fv mode lets you make changes to aperture, shutter speed, or ISO without having to change modes
- shutter speed range: 30-1/8000 seconds, bulb
- ISO range: 100-40000 (expandable to ISO 50 to 102400 equivalents)
- flash sync at 1/200 seconds
- high-speed sync mode lets you synchronize the flash to shutter speeds up to 1/8000
- no built-in flash — works with Canon Speedlites
File Formats and Storage:
- records in RAW, JPEG, and RAW+JPEG formats
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 6720 x 4480
- movie file format: MP4
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- super-speed micro USB (Type C) interface (cable included) for fast data transfer and charging
- mini HDMI (Type C) output (cable not included)
- 3.5mm microphone input and 3.5mm headphone jack
- 5-3/8"W x 3-7/8"H x 3-3/8"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 23.3 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3075C002
What's in the box:
- EOS R camera body
- Body cap (installed)
- LP-E6N Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.2V 1865mAh 14Wh) with plastic terminal cover
- LC-E6 Battery charger (DC output: 8.4 1A)
- Cable protector
- 39" USB-C cable (USB-C connectors on each end)
- ER-EOS R Neck strap
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
Canon EOS R (no lens included) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EOS R (no lens included)
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3.15"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||None included|
|Image Stabilization||With IS lens|
|Highest Resolution||6720 x 4480|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||23.28|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Package Overview: Canon's new mirrorless EOS R digital camera has a 30.3 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS image sensor. Its new RF-mount is 54mm wide, much larger than the EF-mount found on Canon's EOS line of DSLRs. The camera is compatible with the new RF lenses, and with the EF-EOS R Mount Adapter (sold separately), you can use all of your EF and EF-S lenses. This package includes the EOS R body only -- no lenses.
30.3 Megapixel CMOS Sensor: The EOS R features a huge, full-frame sensor. The 30.3-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers images of up to 6720 x 4480 pixels. The DIGIC 8 Image Processor enhances the speed of operations in the camera, allowing you to shoot large still image files and 4K video.
Clear View LCD II Vari-angle Touch Screen Monitor: The EOS R features a 3.15" Clear View LCD II TFT color monitor with approximately 2.1-million dots which allows you to view and shoot real-time images. The monitor has a capacitive touch screen that allows you to make menu selections, touch focus and touch shutter in Live View, and browse images using your fingers. The LCD monitor offers 100% viewing coverage and 7 manual brightness levels to choose from. In Live View, grid lines can be displayed in 9 sections (3x3), 24 sections (6x4), or 9 sections (3x3) with diagonals, as well as a dual-axis electronic level. The Live View function enables you to shoot your subjects while viewing them on the LCD monitor.
0.5" OLED Electronic Viewfinder (EVF): The Canon EOS R uses a eye-level viewfinder with 0.76x magnification for approximately 100% vertical and horizontal coverage. The 0.5" OLED EVF has approximately 3.69-million dots. A -4 to +2 diopter lets you adjust the viewfinder's image to your eyesight.
Sensor Cleaning System: Canon's Integrated Cleaning system includes a self-cleaning sensor unit that can remove dust on the image sensor. The Self Cleaning Sensor can shake off dust automatically when the camera is powered on or off. You can also activate the sensor clean function manually, if desired.
Recording Media: The EOS R records still images and videos to SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. Both UHS-I and UHS-II cards are supported. For recording 4K movies, UHS-I Speed Class 3 or higher, or UHS-II Video Speed Class 60 or higher should be used. For Full HD movie recording, you should use UHS-I Speed Class 3 or higher, or SD Speed Class 10 or higher memory cards.
Image Recording Format: The camera records still images in JPEG and RAW (CR3, a Canon 14-bit RAW format). Simultaneous RAW + JPEG recording is also possible. JPEG images can be set to Fine or Normal compression. The image's aspect ratio can be set to 3:2, 4:3, 16:9, or 1:1. JPEG images will be saved with the set aspect ratio, while RAW images will always be saved in 3:2, with the aspect ratio information stored in the image. Movies are recorded in the MOV format, in three frame rates, and three compression methods (All-I, IPB Standard, and IPB-Light). Available image sizes include:
|Image Quality||Aspect Ratio|
|6720 x 4480||4176 x 2784||5952 x 4480||6720 x 3776||4480 x 4480|
|Medium||4464 x 2976||---||3968 x 2976||4464 x 2512||2976 x 2976|
|Small 1||3360 x 2240||---||2976 x 2240||3360 x 1888||2240 x 2240|
|Small 2||2400 x 1600||2400 x 1600||2112 x 1600||2400 x 1344||1600 x 1600|
- 4K UHD (3840 x 2160): 29.97 fps, 24.00 fps, 23.98 fps
- Full HD (1920 x 1080): 59.94 fps, 29.97 fps, 24.00 fps, 23.98 fps
- HD (1280 x 720): 119.9 fps, 59.94 fps, 29.97 fps
4K Frame Grab: You can select any desired frame from a 4K movie, and save it as an 8 MP (3840 x 2160) JPEG still photo. This 4K Frame Grab is done during playback.
Drive Modes: The Canon EOS R offers the following Drive modes:
- Single Shooting: When you press the shutter button completely, only one shot will be taken.
- High-speed Continuous Shooting: While you press the shutter button completely, multiple shots will be taken continuously. High-speed continuous shooting can record up to approximately 8 shots per second.
- Low-speed Continuous Shooting: While you hold down the shutter button, you can shoot continuously at approximately 3 shots per second.
- Silent Shooting: Silent Shooting is quieter than normal shooting. You can choose Silent Single shooting in Single Shooting and Self-Timer drive mode.
- Self-Timer/Remote Control: The camera will record an image 2 or 10 seconds after pressing the shutter button on the camera. Using the optional BR-E1 Wireless Remote Control, you can operate the camera from up to approximately 16.4 feet.
5,655-Point Autofocus System: The EOS R features a Dual Pixel CMOS AF system with 5,655 manually selectable AF points. The lightning fast AF system delivers sharp focus in as little as 0.05 seconds.
Focusing Modes: The camera lets you choose one of the methods for focusing:
- One-Shot AF: suited for still subjects, the camera focuses only once.
- Servo AF: for moving subjects when the focusing distance keeps changing. The subject will be focused continuously while the shutter button is pressed halfway.
- Manual Focusing
Shooting Modes: The EOS R's top-mounted Mode Dial offers the following shooting modes:
- Fully Automatic (Scene Intelligent Auto): The camera analyses the scene and sets the optimum settings automatically.
- Program AE: The camera automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to suit the scene's brightness.
- Shutter-Priority AE (Tv): In this mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically sets the aperture value to suit the brightness of the subject. A slow shutter speed can create a blurred effect, while a fast shutter speed can freeze action.
- Aperture-priority AE (Av): In this mode, you set the desired aperture value and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically to suit the subject brightness. A low aperture number can create a blurred background (narrow depth of field), while a high aperture number can create a sharp foreground and background (wide depth of field).
- Flexible-Priority AE (Fv): This mode lets you set the shutter speed, aperture, and IOS speed manually or automatically, and combine these settings with your choice of exposure compensation.
- Manual Exposure: In this mode, you set both the shutter speed and aperture value as desired.
- Bulb: When Bulb is set, the shutter stays open as long as you hold down the shutter button completely, and closes when you let go of the shutter button. The Bulb Timer function lets you preset the bulb exposure's exposure time. Bulb exposures are for night scenes, fireworks, the night sky, and other subjects requiring long exposures.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Metering: The camera's standard metering mode suited for most subjects even under backlit conditions, after detecting the main subject's position, brightness, background, front and back lighting conditions, etc, the camera sets the proper exposure.
- Partial Metering: Effective when the background is much brighter than the subject due to backlighting, etc, uses approximately 6.1% of the frame at the center.
- Spot Metering: For metering a specific part of the subject, uses approximately 2.7% of the frame at the center.
- Center-weighted Average Metering: Metering is weighted at the center and then averaged for the entire scene.
ISO Speed: The camera's ISO speed is set at the following settings:
- Still Images:
- Scene Intelligent Auto: Set automatically between ISO 100 and ISO 12800.
- Fv / P / Tv / Av / Bulb: Set automatically or manually between ISO 100 and ISO 40000 in 1/3- or 1-stop increments. Expandable to L (equivalent to ISO 50), H1 (ISO 51200), or H2 (ISO 102400).
- Scene Intelligent Auto: Set automatically between ISO 100 and ISO 12800 (100-25600 for Full HD/HD)
- P / Tv / Av: Automatically set between ISO 100 and ISO 12800 (100-25600 for Full HD/HD), expandable to H2 (ISO 102400).
- M: ISO Auto (100-12800 4K / 100-25600 Full HD/HD), or Manually set between ISO 100-12800 (100-25600 Full HD/HD) (in 1/3- or 1-stop increments, expandable to H2 (ISO 102400)
Picture Style: By selecting a Picture Style, you can achieve various effects matching your photographic expression or the subject. You can also adjust the Sharpness (with separate strength, fineness, and threshold parameters), Contrast, Saturation, Color tone, Filtering Effect (monochrome), or Toning Effect (monochrome) of each Picture Style. Picture Style selections include:
- Auto: Color tone is adjusted automatically to suit the scene. The image will look vivid, especially for blue skies, greenery, and sunsets in nature, outdoor, and sunset scenes.
- Standard: A general-purpose Picture Style to suit most scenes. The image looks vivid, sharp, and crisp.
- Portrait: Suited for close-up portraits, this Picture Style is for nice skin tones, making the image look softer. You can change the color tone to adjust the skin tone.
- Landscape: For vivid blues and greens, very sharp and crisp images.
- Fine Detail: Suited for detailed outline and fine texture description of the subject, and slightly vivid colors.
- Neutral: For natural colors and subdued images, no sharpness applied.
- Faithful: When the subject is photographed under a color temperature of 5200 K, the color is adjusted to match the subject's colorimetrical color, no sharpness applied. (recommended for users who prefer to process images on their PC)
- Monochrome: Creates black and white images
- User Defined 1-3: You can register your own Picture Style settings for Portrait and Landscape modes.
High Dynamic Range (HDR): You can take artistic photos having a high dynamic range and preserving detail in highlight and shadow areas. HDR shooting is effective for landscape and still-life photos. With HDR shooting, three images of different exposures are captured for each shot, then merged together automatically. The HDR image is saved as a single JPEG image. You can choose from several options: Natural, Art Standard, Art Vivid, Art Bold, and Art Embossed.
Multiple Exposures: You can shoot two to nine exposures to be merged into one image. If you shoot multiple-exposure images with Live View shooting, you can see how the single exposures merge while shooting.
White Balance: White Balance is for making the white areas look white. You can choose from the following white balance settings: Auto (Ambience priority), Auto (White priority), Daylight, Shade, Cloudy/Twilight/Sunset, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash Use, Custom, and Color Temperature.
EL/EX Speedlite Compatible: The EOS R features the acclaimed E-TTL II flash metering system. With any of the flashes in the EL/EX-series Speedlite line, E-TTL II provides reliable flash output whether shooting fill-in flash pictures in sunlight, or using flash in total darkness.
Note: The camera does not have a built-in flash.
Wireless Functions: The camera features built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, which allow you connect wirelessly to a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can also wirelessly print images using a Wi-Fi printer. Using the free Canon Camera Connect app on a compatible iOS or Android device, you can shoot remotely from a distance, with complete control of settings such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus, and shutter release. You can also geotag your photos with location data from your smartphone.
Note: The Canon Camera Connect app is compatible with iOS devices running iOS 9.0 or later, and with Android phones and tablets running Android 4.4 to 8.1 and up.
Single Image Playback: When playing back a single image, you can choose from these display options: No Information, Basic Information Display, or Shooting Information display.
Image Magnification: When viewing a still picture in single image playback mode, you can magnify the image to 2x, 4x, 8x, or 10x. While the image is magnified, you can scroll anywhere around the image.
Index Display: You can search for images quickly with the index display, showing 4 (2x2), 9 (3x3), 36 (6x6), or 100 (10x10) images on one screen.
Auto Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback.
Image Review: The image can be displayed on the LCD monitor immediately after you shoot. The review time can be set to off (not displayed), 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds, or Hold, which keeps the image displayed on the LCD monitor until the camera is focused again.
Slide Show: You can view all images on the memory card one after another with the Auto Playback function (slide show). You can choose which recorded images will be displayed in the slide show by selecting All images, Folder, Date, Movies, Stills or Rating. The display time interval can be set to 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, or 20 seconds.
Jump Playback: During playback you can jump to images 1, 10 or 100 images at a time. You can also jump screens by date, folder, movies, stills, protected images, and image rating.
Rotating Images: You can rotate an image by 90° or 270° clockwise in the LCD monitor.
Protect Images: You can select specific images from being erased accidentally.
HDMI Output: A Type C Mini HDMI connection is provided for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped TV. A mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable, such as the Canon HTC-100, is required. The camera automatically switches the output resolution to the capability of the HDTV. The HDMI connection is CEC-compatible, allowing you to control the playback of the camera using your TV remote.
SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1): A SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1) equivalent USB-C port is provided for connecting the camera to your USB-C equipped computer via the included IFC-100U interface cable. SuperSpeed USB provides much faster data transfer than USB 2.0.
Resize: Images shot with the camera can be resized to make the pixel count lower, and saved as a new image. You can only resize JPEG Large, Medium, and Small 1 sized images. JPEG Small 2 and RAW images cannot be resized.
Power Options: The EOS R operates on the supplied LP-E6N Lithium-Ion battery (7.2V, 1865 mAh, 14Wh). The battery can be charged in the supplied LC-E6N battery charger in approximately 150 minutes. The supplied battery performance specs are as follows:
23° C/73° F
|Approx. 370 shots||2 hrs 20 min|
|0° C/32° F||Approx. 350 shots||2 hrs 10 min|
Optional AC Power: With the optional DR-E6 DC coupler and the AC-E6N, you can connect the camera to a household power outlet and not worry about the battery becoming exhausted. The ACK-E6 AC adapter kit can also be used.
Optional BG-E22 Battery Grip: With the optional BG-E22 Battery Grip, you can power the camera with two LP-E6N batteries. The two LP-E6 battery packs in the BG-E22 will give you roughly double the number of still images or movie shooting time. When two batteries are installed in the magazine, power is supplied simultaneously from both batteries.
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the camera turns off automatically after a period of non-operation. The Auto Power Off time can be set to 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 8 minutes, 15 minutes, or 30 minutes. You can also disable the Auto Power Off function.
Note: The Auto Power Off function will not activate in Auto Playback Mode.
Canon EOS Software: The EOS R does not include any software in the box. The following software can be used with the camera and is available for free download from the Canon website:
- Digital Photo Professional (Windows/Mac): Recommended for users who mainly shoot RAW images. You can view, edit, process, and print RAW images at high speed. You can also edit JPEG images while retaining the original images.
- EOS Digital Solution Disk: The EOS Digital Solution Disk software contains various application for EOS digital cameras, including Digital Photo Professional, EOS Utility, EOS Lens Registration tool, EOS Web Service Registration tool, EOS Sample Music, Picture Style Editor, and Image Transfer Utility.
OS Requirements: The above-listed software is compatible with computers with the following operating systems:
- Windows: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7
- Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.11, macOS 10.12, 10.13