- 8.29-megapixel, 1-inch 4K UHD CMOS image sensor
- 15X optical zoom
- 35mm equivalent focal range: 25.5-382.5mm
- Dual Pixel AF and Contrast AF
- frame rates:
- 4K UHD: 30 fps, 24 fps
- 1080p: 60 fps, 30 fps, 24 fps
- 720p: 60fps
- fast, powerful DIGIC DV 6 image processor
- shutter speeds up to 1/2000 sec.
- 1/4" color LCD viewfinder (1.56 million dots)
- ultra-clear 3" LCD touchscreen (460,000 dots)
- Wide Dynamic Range Gamma of 800% helps prevent overexposure
- five assignable buttons for custom shooting
- seesaw-style zoom lever
- manual focus/zoom ring
- intelligent five-axis IS applies the best type of image stabilization for your environment
- dual card slots for extended continuous shooting with SD, SDHC or SDXC memory cards
- Interval Recording (.4x-1200x) creates fast- or slow-motion time-lapse video
- internal circular neutral density filter with four options: off, ND 1/4, ND 1/16, ND 1/64
- nine-blade circular aperture for smoothly defocused backgrounds
Connections and dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- 3.5mm microphone input
- 3.5mm headphone output
- 2.5mm input for optional remote control
- HDMI mini connector
- supports 4K UHD 60p video output, which can be connected to a standard external SSD/HDD recorder, enabling conversion to ProRes and DNx formats for efficient editing and storage
- lens hood with lens barrier included
- cold shoe lets you add optional accessories
- comes with an AC adapter/charger and rechargeable lithium ion battery (BP-820)
- 4-5/16"W x 3-5/8"H x 8-7/16"D (body only)
- weight: 2.1 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3670C002
What's in the box:
- 4K camcorder
- Lens cap (installed)
- Lens hood
- BP-820 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (7.4V 1780mAh 13Wh)
- CA570 Compact Power Adapter with attached 64" DC output cord (DC output 8.4V 1.5A)
- 59" AC cord (polarized C7 plug)
- Ferrite core noise filter (for power cord)
- WL-D89 Wireless remote control
- CR2025 Lithium battery (for remote)
- Quick Guide
- Dealer Record of Canon Purchase sheet
- Register Now sheet
Canon VIXIA HF G60 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon VIXIA HF G60
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.0|
|Total Pixel Count||13.4 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||8.29 MP|
|Optical Zoom||15 x|
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||175 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||8.29 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||Mini-B 2.0 USB|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||40|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon VIXIA HF G60 camcorder shoots stunning 4K and high definition video, as well as digital still images. The camcorder comes with a wireless remote controller, a high-capacity rechargeable battery, and a compact power adapter.
Image Sensor: The HF G60 features a full 1.0" 4K CMOS image sensor, which is approximately 6.8 times larger than the image sensor found in the HF G21 camcorder. The sensor has 13.4 total megapixels, and 8.29 effective pixels. The 1.0-inch sensor provides improved images with less noise, especially in low-light situations. It also gives you greater depth of field control. The video is processed by the on-board DIG!C DV 6 image processor.
3.0" LCD Touch Screen: The HF G60 features a 3.0" widescreen, capacitive touch-sensitive LCD screen with approximately 460,000 dots and 100% field of view. The flip-out LCD panel can be rotated 270° (180° forward, 90° backward), allowing you to shoot videos from high and low angles. Onscreen buttons allow you to maneuver through the menus and change settings. You can also review your images by swiping your finger up/down or left/right across the screen.
Viewfinder: In addition to the 3.0" LCD screen, the camcorder also features a separate 0.24" TFT color viewfinder with 1.56 million dots. The viewfinder is activated when it is pulled out, and you can tilt it up to 45° for easier viewing. A dioptric adjustment lever lets you adjust the viewfinder to your eyesight. The viewfinder includes a large, comfortable eye cup for blocking out light to improve visibility.
Recording Media: The Canon HF G60 camcorder captures video and still-images SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards (sold separately). Cards rated as SD Speed Class 6 or 10 are recommended for HD video recording. For 4K or slow/fast motion recording, SD cards rated UHS Speed Class U3 should be used. The camcorder is equipped with two memory card slots, giving you added recording capability. Recording simultaneously on both memory cards (Dual Recording) provides an instant backup for your recordings. Another option is Relay Recording, allowing the camcorder to automatically switch from one memory card to the other when the first card becomes full.
Recording Formats: The camcorder records movies in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video format with 2-channel AAC audio. Still photos are recorded in JPEG compression in three sizes: 3840 x 2160, 1920 x 1080, or 1280 x 720.
Recording Modes: When recording video, you can choose from the following modes:
|Resolution||Bit Rate||Frame Rates|
|4K: 3840 x 2160||150 Mbps||30p, 24p|
|FHD: 1920 x 1080||35 Mbps||60p, 30p, 24p|
|HD: 1280 x 720||8 Mbps||60p|
Note: 60p=59.94p, 30p=29.97p, 24p=23.98p
Slow and Fast Motion: You can record videos with a slow motion or fast motion effect during playback. By recording individual frames at specific intervals the camcorder can provide smooth time-lapse recordings up to 1200x and slow motion down to 0.4x original speed. No audio is recorded for these scenes. You can choose from the following recording rates:
|Recording Mode||Frame Rate||Slow/Fast Motion Rates|
|3840 x 2160||30p||x2, x4, x10, x20, x60, x120, x600, x1200|
|1920 x 1080||60p||x2, x4, x10, x20, x60, x120, x600, x1200|
|1280 x 720||60p||x2, x4, x10, x20, x60, x120, x600, x1200|
Mini Advanced Shoe: The top-mounted Mini Advanced Shoe allows you to attach a range of optional accessories, such as video lights (VL-5) and external microphone (DM-100) without the need for additional cables. In addition, the camcorder has a cold accessory shoe for mounting additional accessories.
Genuine Canon Video Lens: The HF G60 comes with a Genuine Canon 4K video lens with a 15x Optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 25.5 - 382.5mm at 4K) and a 20x digital zoom for a 300x total digital zoom. The minimum focusing distance is a mere 0.39" at wide angle and 23.6" at telephoto. It includes 18 elements in 14 groups, including two aspheric elements. The lens has a 58mm filter thread, allowing you to add screw-on filters, the TL-U58 tele-converter, or the WA-U58 wide attachment. The lens has a 9-blade aperture to give you pleasing bokeh (out-of-focus elements) in your recordings. An odd number of aperture blades doubles the number of light beams, providing circular and beautifully natural bokeh. A lens hood is included to reduce the amount of stray light to enter the lens.
ND Filter: The camcorder has an internal built-in ND filter, which uses a rotating mechanism that allows you to select from three densities, or turn off the filter, if desired. The ND Filter buttons near the lens turn the actuator, which rotates the turret mechanism to the desired position: ND 1/4, ND 1/16, ND 1/64, or Off.
Assignable Controls: The HF G60 features five assignable buttons for quick access. Often-used functions, such as AutoFocus/Manual Focus, White Balance, Pre-recording, Magnification, Backlight Correction, and Powered IS can be assigned to certain physical buttons. In addition, there is an assignable button on the LCD screen that can be used for another often-used function.
Zoom Controls: The camcorder offers several different methods for zooming in and out:
- Focus/Zoom Ring: When the focus/zoom ring is set to zoom, the zoom speed is controlled by how quickly you turn the ring.
- Zoom Rocker: The zoom rocker, by default, operates at a variable speed--gentle press for a slow zoom, harder press for faster zooms. Overall zoom speeds can be set to Slow, Normal, or Fast. You can also change the zoom speed to one of 16 constant speeds.
- Touch Screen Control: Using the Touch Screen, you can zoom in and out by pressing the W (wide) or T (tele) areas. Soft Zoom Control allows you to start and/or stop the zoom gradually.
- Supplied or Optional Remote Controller: The supplied WL-D89 wireless controller, you can choose the slowest (1) or fastest (16) constant zoom speed. With the optional RC-V100 Remote Controller plugged into the camcorder's 2.5mm remote input, you can vary the zoom speed by turning the zoom dial on the remote. Third-party plug-in remotes that do not support variable zoom speeds will zoom at a constant speed. Otherwise the camcorder will zoom at a variable speed as set by the remote control.
Digital Tele-Converter: You can digitally increase the focal length of the camcorder by a factor of approximately 2x and record the enlarged image at full resolution.
Advanced Image Stabilization: The HF G60 has a 5-axis Optical Image Stabilization system to reduce image blur caused by camera shake. You can choose from Standard IS (lowest degree of camcorder shake), Dynamic IS (higher degree), or Powered IS (while zooming or at high zoom situations).
Camera Modes: Using the Mode Switch on the top of the camcorder, you can select one of the following Camera Modes:
- Auto: The camcorder takes care of all of the settings while you concentrate on recording.
- Manual: The manual setting gives you full access to menus, settings, and advanced functions.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF: The HF G60 features Canon's highly accurate and high-speed Dual Pixel CMOS AutoFocus system. Each pixel in the CMOS sensor has two photodiodes, which can independently detect image signals from each photosite. Utilizing phase-difference autofocusing, the camera brings the subject rapidly and accurately into focus. In addition, by tapping your finger on the desired area of the scene on the touchscreen, the lens will focus on that specific part of the scene. Dual Pixel CMOS AF gives you continuous autofocusing within a frame that covers approximately 80% of the scene. The camcorder also uses Face Detection AF, framing faces in the scene for focusing priority.
Manual Focus Ring: The HF G60 has a manual focus ring that helps you achieve the focus you're looking for. The focus ring response can be set to fast, normal, or slow, plus the focus direction can be set in either direction.
Shooting Modes: The HF G60 features a number of shooting modes, each depending upon how much control you have over recording-related settings:
- Programmed AE: The camcorder automatically adjusts the aperture and shutter speed to obtain the optimal exposure for the subject.
- Shutter Priority AE: You choose the shutter speed to freeze or blur the shot while the camcorder selects the appropriate aperture for the scene. You can select shutter speeds of 1/8 to 1/2000, or 1/6 to 1/2000 when the frame rate is set to 23.98p.
- Aperture Priority: You choose the aperture to affect the depth of field and the camcorder selects the appropriate shutter speed for the scene. You can choose aperture settings between f/2.8 and f/11 at full wide angle, or f/4.5 to f/11 at full telephoto.
- Manual Exposure: You can adjust the aperture, shutter speed, and gain to achieve the desired exposure. You can use the available Zebra Pattern to identify overexposed areas, if needed. In addition, Exposure Compensation and the Touch AE function can help you make fine adjustments to the set exposure.
Special Scene Recording Modes: The camcorder features the following Preset Scene Recording Modes to match special conditions: Portrait, Sports, Night Scene, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Low Light, Spotlight, and Fireworks.
Touch Exposure: Touching the LCD screen on a specific area or subject will automatically adjust the exposure for the selected point and lock the exposure settings. You can also touch a bright area of the image to avoid overexposure (Highlight AE).
White Balance: The camcorder's white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic, Daylight, Tungsten, Color Temperature, and Set 1/Set 2 (Custom WB).
Pre-Recording: When Pre-Recording is activated, the camcorder starts recording video continuously into a temporary 3-second memory buffer. When you press the Start/Stop button, the scene recorded will have started 3 seconds before you started shooting. This is especially useful when it is difficult to predict when to start recording.
Built-in Microphone: You can change the directionality of the built-in microphone to control how sound is recorded. The options include: Monaural, Normal (stereo), and Wide. In addition, you use the audio equalizer to adjust sound levels for specific high- or low-frequency ranges. You can choose from Normal, Boost LF Range, Low Cut Filter, Boost MF Range, and Boost HF+LF Range. An electronic "wind screen" can be activated when conditions are windy to reduce wind noise in the microphone. There are two levels (High, Low), and Off.
Optional External Microphone: The camcorder has a Mini Advanced Shoe that will accept the optional DM-100 Directional Stereo Microphone. Other commercially available microphones can be plugged into the camcorder's 3.5mm microphone input. When an external microphone is connected, the built-in microphone is muted.
Built-in Speaker: The camcorder has a built-in speaker so you can review the soundtrack as well as the picture when you're using the LCD screen to playback a recording. The built-in speaker is monaural.
Lithium-Ion Battery Pack: The Canon HF G60 comes supplied with the BP-820 rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack . The optional BP-828 battery pack also works with the camcorder. An AC power adapter (CA-570) is included for charging the battery or powering the camcorder. The battery recording and playback times are as follows:
|Battery Pack||Resolution||Max. Recording Time||Typical Recording Time||Playback Time||Charging Time|
|BP-820||3840 x 2160||150 min||85 min||200 min||210 min (in camcorder); |
190 min (CG-800 charger)
|1920 x 1080||175 min||100 min||250 min|
|1280 x 720||150 min||85 min||240 min|
|BP-828||3840 x 2160||230 min||125 min||305 min||300 min (in camcorder); |
260 min (CG-800 charger)
|1920 x 1080||270 min||150 min||375 min|
|1280 x 720||230 min||125 min||365 min|
Auto Power Off: After 5 minutes without any operation when powered by the battery, the camcorder automatically powers off. Approximately 30 seconds before the camcorder automatically turns itself off, a warning message appears in the display.
HDMI Output: The HF G60 features a mini-HDMI (Type C) terminal that offers a high-quality digital video and audio connection. This HDMI 2.0 terminal supports 4K UHD 60p output, and can be connected to a standard external SSD/HDD recorder. No HDMI cable is included with the camcorder.
USB 2.0 Connection: The camcorder features a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed terminal for fast transfer of photos and videos, or for connecting the optional GP-E2 GPS receiver. The port has a Mini-B 2.0 terminal.
Microphone Input: In addition to the camcorder's built-in microphone, the HF G60 features a 3.5mm stereo microphone input for connecting an external microphone (sold separately).
Headphone Jack: The camcorder has a 3.5mm stereo headphone output that allows you to monitor the audio during recording or playback.
Remote Control Input: The camcorder features a 2.5mm sub-mini jack terminal for connecting an optional remote control unit.