About the Canon VIXIA HF R800
Make memories with an HD camcorder
A 3" tilting LCD touchscreen on the Canon VIXIA HF R800 helps frame and review shots, including selfies
Make memories with an HD camcorder
No need to take chances with your memories. The Canon VIXIA HF R800 will help you get it right the first time. Just grab your camera and start recording, then review the footage, edit it if you like, and upload it to the web through the included USB cable. If you have friends or family over, you can use the built-in HDMI port and included cable to connect to a compatible HDTV and see every glorious moment on the big screen.
Capture precious moments with Baby Mode
Nobody wants to be fumbling for the right settings while baby is crawling, talking or smearing frosting on his face for the first time. Canon's Baby Mode takes the guesswork out of kid vids with an array of impressive features that you can use instantly without advanced technical knowledge.
- Custom Baby Mode button on the shooting screen lets you grab it and go when a great moment happens.
- Continuously records three seconds of video to buffer memory before you even press the record button, so you won't miss a thing.
- The camera auto-selects the optimal settings for your shooting conditions.
- Intelligent image stabilization smooths out any unwanted tremors.
- Baby Mode videos are indexed and saved in a separate folder for easy retrieval.
- Save separate files for as many as three children in the onboard baby album.
- Touch Decoration tags photos with your baby's age, height, weight and other vital information so you never forget the details.
Special features galore
You can do so much more than just point and shoot, if you want to. Get creative and record slow-motion images at speed settings down to 0.5x, or go the other direction — fast motion can record at up to 1200x, though you may find that the 300x and 600x options are more your, ahem, speed.
If your outdoor shots are plagued by oversaturation from bright sunlight, never fear. Highlight Priority Mode with enhanced Backlight Correction helps prevent loss of detail in such situations.
And, if you've ever accidentally taped over something you really wanted to hold onto, you'll love File Lock. This function disables deletion and editing to prevent accidents. Talk about peace of mind.
- 2.07 effective megapixel CMOS sensor
- 32X optical zoom (digital zoom to 1140X)
- 3" color LCD touchpanel widescreen (approx. 230,000 dots)
- records to optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card
- SuperRange image stabilization corrects camera shake even at full zoom
- DIGIC DV 4 image processor helps provide excellent low-light performance
- show videos and stills on a compatible HDTV via the camera's mini HDMI port (cable included)
- upload videos to your computer with the included USB cable
Specialized shooting modes:
- Highlight Priority Mode with Backlight Correction helps to prevent loss of detail in challenging light conditions
- Baby Mode helps you capture your baby's progress with ease
- Zoom Framing Assistance helps keep distant subjects centered, even when they're in motion
- customizable slow or fast motion modes for more creative recording options
- File Lock function disables deletion and editing to prevent accidental erasure
- built-in adjustable image filters, including Old Movie, Cool, Sepia and Vivid
- 2-1/8"W x 2-5/16"H x 4-5/8"D
- weight: 10.8 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor (90 days video head parts)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1960C003
What's in the box:
- VIXIA HF R800 camcorder (white)
- BP-727 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V 2685mAh 9.7Wh)
- CA-110 Compact power adapter with attached 68" DC output cord (DC output 5.3V 1.5A)
- 2' IFC-300PCU USB cable (Type A USB on one end and a Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- 5' HTC-100 HDMI cable (full-size HDMI on one end and Mini HDMI Type C HDMI on other end)
- Getting Started booklet (Eng/Fren/Span)
- Warranty card
Canon VIXIA HF R800 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon VIXIA HF R800
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.0|
|Total Pixel Count||3.28 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||2.07 MP|
|Optical Zoom||32 x|
|Night Imaging||Low Light 0.4Lx|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||180 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||2.07 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||Mini-B 2.0 USB|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||10.4|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
3.0" Widescreen LCD Capacitive Touch Screen: The Canon VIXIA HF R800 features a 3.0" Capacitive Touch Panel LCD screen (230,000 dots) to make it easy to compose and review your shots. The capacitive touch technology is similar to that of a smartphone, and lets you activate functions by a simple touch. The LCD screen can be rotated 270° allowing the subject to monitor the LCD screen during shooting. The LCD's touch screen contains zoom, playback and menu controls for added convenience.
Note: This camcorder does not feature a separate viewfinder.
Recording Media: The Canon HF R800 camcorder captures video and still-images onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards (sold separately) with a Speed Class rating of 4 and up. Class 6 or 10 SD cards are recommended for recording movies with a video quality of 60p or 35Mbps. There are no memory cards included with the camcorder.
Recording Formats: The camcorder records movies in MPEG-4 (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) video compression format with 2-channel AAC audio, ideal for playback with highest picture quality. Available frame rates include 60p, 30p, and 24p. You can resize 30p and 24p movies to MP4 format to obtain a smaller file size. Still photos are recorded with JPEG image compression. Recording options include:
- 35 Mbps: 1920 x 1080
- 24 Mbps: 1920 x 1080
- 17 Mbps: 1920 x 1080
- 4 Mbps: 1280 x 720
- Still Photos:
- 1920 x 1080
- 1280 x 720 (when recording movies at 4 Mbps)
Image Sensor: The HF R800 features a 1/4.85" CMOS image sensor with approximately 3,280,000 total pixels for excellent detail and clarity when recording video and exceptional digital still photography performance. The effective pixel count is approximately 2,070,000 for movies and still images.
DIGIC DV 4: The HF R800 is equipped with the DIGIC DV 4 HD image processor. It captures more light than its predecessor DV III, for brighter, cleaner images. It also features increased processing power for better image stabilization, even when walking.
Genuine Canon Video Lens: The HF R800 comes with a Genuine Canon HD video lens with a 32x Optical zoom. The 57x Advanced zoom makes more efficient use of the effective imaging area to take the telephoto power all the way to 1853mm (35mm equivalent).
Zoom Speed: The zoom speed can be set to variable or one of three fixed speeds. In the variable position, the zoom speed depends on how far you push the lever. The purpose of the three fixed zoom speeds is a smoother zoom transition, at your choice of speeds.
Zoom Position at Startup: You can set the camcorder to memorize the zoom position when you turn it off, so the zoom position will be the same the next time you turn on the camcorder.
Framing Assistance: When you're shooting at the long end of the zoom range, it's easy to accidentally lose your subject in the frame. When that happens, you can touch the Framing Assistance icon on the screen to quickly decrease the zoom magnification so you can find your subject. Releasing your finger from the screen allows the camcorder to quickly zoom back in to the previous zoom magnification.
SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization: The HF R800 features Canon's sophisticated SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer to give you rock steady movies, even if you're shooting while walking. The 5-axis stabilization makes corrections for rotational camera shake--horizontal, vertical, and roll axis--as well as up-down and left-right movements. Continuous adjustment is provided throughout the zoom range, with extra compensation applied at wide-angle focal lengths. Intelligent IS modes include:
- Dynamic IS: when the zoom is closer to the wide angle range, Dynamic IS steadies the video while following subjects move left or right.
- Macro IS: excellent for close-ups.
- Powered IS: corrects camera shake when you're zoomed in for telephoto shots while you remain stationary.
- Tripod Mode: turns off image stabilization when the camcorder is mounted on a tripod.
Optional Connect Station: You can conveniently save, play back, and share your movies and photos using the optional CS100 Connect Station. You can connect the camcorder to the CS100 via USB. The CS100 has 1 TB of storage capacity.
Video Snapshot: The camcorder's Video Snapshot mode lets you shoot a series of short video clips of 2, 4, or 8 seconds to create an entertaining movie.
Face Detection: The camcorder can automatically detect people's faces and use this information to adjust the focus and set the best exposure and color control settings for beautiful videos and photos. When there are a number of people in the picture, one person will be determined to be the main subject. You can also select the main subject manually by touching the subject on the touch screen.
Shooting Modes: The HF R800 features several shooting modes, plus a manual exposure adjustment for scenes that appear underexposed or overexposed. The available exposure modes include:
- AUTO Mode: You can take videos and photos easily, by letting the camcorder automatically adjust settings based on the recording situation. The camcorder will also choose the best image stabilization mode, and activate Face Detection and TeleMacro mode. Some functions are not available during AUTO mode.
- Highlight Priority: The Highlight Priority mode can record bright scenes with life-like detail in the brightest areas.
- Cinema Mode: The camcorder will adjust the frame rate to give your recordings a cinematic look. You can also apply a variety of cinema-look filters to create movies with a unique appearance: cinema standard, vivid, cool, sepia, and old movies.
- Special Scene Recording Modes: The Special Scene modes adjust the camera settings according to the scene. You can select Portrait, Sports, Night Scene, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Spotlight, Fireworks, or Low Light.
- Programmed AE: The camcorder automatically adjusts the aperture and shutter speed to obtain the optimal exposure for the subject, while you are able to adjust the other settings.
White Balance: The white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic, Daylight, Tungsten, and Custom WB.
Self-Timer: This feature allows the camcorder to start recording after a 10-second countdown.
Slow & Fast Motion Recording: When recording MP4 movies, you can use slow motion to record action at half the normal speed, or fast motion to compress time and create time-lapse movies. Sound is not recorded during slow and fast motion recording. You can choose from the following recording speeds:
|Slow/Fast Motion Rate||Recording Time and Interval||Real Time Elapsed in a 1-minute scene|
|1 Frame||0.5 sec|
|Slow Motion: |
|Every 0.02 sec||x||30 sec.|
|Fast Motion: |
|Every 0.07 sec||x||2 min.|
|x4||Every 0.13 sec||x||4 min.|
|x10||Every 0.33 sec||Every 5 sec||10 min.|
|x20||Every 0.67 sec||Every 10 sec||20 min.|
|x60||Every 2 sec||Every 30 sec||1 hr.|
|x120||Every 4 sec||Every 1 min||2 hrs.|
|x300||Every 10 sec||Every 2.5 min||5 hrs.|
|x600||Every 20 sec||Every 5 min||10 hrs.|
|x1200||Every 40 sec||Every 10 min||20 hrs.|
Pre-Recording: When Pre-Recording is activated, the camcorder starts recording video continuously into a temporary 3-second memory. When you press the Start/Stop button, the scene recorded will have started 3 seconds before you started shooting. This is especially useful when it is difficult to predict when to start recording.
Built-in Speaker: The camcorder has a built-in speaker so you can review the soundtrack as well as the picture when you're using the LCD screen to playback a recording. The built-in speaker is monaural.
Playback Functions: The camera uses the following special playback modes: Fast Playback (5x, 15x or 60x) in either direction, and Slow Playback (1/8x, 1/4x) in either direction. During these playback modes there is no sound.
Li-ion Battery Pack: The Canon HF R800 comes supplied with a rechargeable BP-727 Lithium-ion Battery Pack (3.6V, 2685 mAh, 9.7 Wh). The camcorder also comes supplied with an AC power adapter and charger (CA-110). The BP-718 battery is also compatible with the HF R800 but has a smaller capacity (1790 mAh) than the supplied BP-727. The battery recording and playback times are as follows:
|Battery Pack||Recording |
|180 min.||100 min.||265 min.|
|120 min.||65 min.||175 min.|
Charging Times: The BP-727 battery charges in 7 hours 45 minutes when charging through the camcorder with the supplied AC adapter. The charging time is 5 hours 15 minutes when using an optional CG-700 battery charger.
Auto Power Off: After 3 minutes without any operation when powered by the battery, the camcorder automatically powers off. Approximately 30 seconds before the camcorder automatically turns itself off, a warning message appears in the display.
HDMI Output: The HF R800 features a mini-HDMI (Type C) terminal that offers a high-quality digital connection that combines audio and video in a single convenient cable. The HDMI port is compatible with HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), allowing you in many cases to control the camcorder with the remote control of the connected TV.
Note: A 5' HTC-100 HDMI cable is included with the camcorder.
AV Output: The camcorder features a 3.5mm AV output to playback audio and video on your television using the optional STV-250N composite video/stereo audio RCA cable. You can select between a 4:3 aspect ratio or a 16:9 aspect ratio for the video out based on your television's aspect ratio. The AV Output also doubles as a headphone output. The built-in speaker will be muted when headphones or the AV cable are plugged in.
Note: Due to variations in the configuration of the 3.5mm plug, it is recommended that you use only the Canon STV-250N cable.
USB 2.0 Connection: The camcorder features a Mini-B USB 2.0 High Speed terminal for fast transfer of photos and videos, and connection to the optional CS100 Connect Station.
Microphone Input: In addition to the camcorder's built-in microphone, the HF R800 features a 3.5mm microphone input for connecting an external microphone.
Downloadable Software: The Canon HF R800 camcorder comes with no software in the box. CameraWindow DC software is available for download from the Canon website (URL provided in the Operating Manual). CameraWindow DC is used for saving MP4 movies and photos to your computer and organize them. It is compatible with Windows 10 (desktop mode), 8.1 and 7 SP1, and Mac OS X v10.9 to v10.12.
The Canon VIXIA HF R800 replaces these items
- 32X optical zoom (digital zoom to 1140X)
- SuperRange image stabilization corrects camera shake even at full zoom
- Highlight Priority Mode helps give your video the full range of color seen by the human eye
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked