About the Canon VIXIA HF W11
A rugged camcorder
A rugged camcorder
It's nice to know your camcorder is rugged enough to take along on vacation. The Canon VIXIA HF W11 is dust-proof, withstands drops of up to 4.9 feet, freeze-proof to 14°F, and waterproof to depths of 16.4 feet.
It's great for less extreme uses, too, with 40X optical zoom and intelligent image stabilization to keep your shots steady. Face Tracking mode lets you lock onto your preferred subject — the youth soccer star in your household, perhaps — and keep it in focus.
The HF W11 has a USB port built-in for saving files to your computer, and composite audio/video and HDMI connections so you can connect to a TV and show your latest masterpiece to friends and family.
You'll definitely want to bring along plenty of SD cards when you head out with the VIXIA HF W11, but if you happen to see something memorable when you're not quite ready, there's 32GB of memory built in.
- 2.29 effective megapixel CMOS sensor
- 40X optical zoom (digital zoom to 200X)
- 3" color LCD widescreen touchpanel (approx. 460,000 dots)
- waterproof to depths of 16.4 feet
- freeze-proof to 14°F
- withstands drops from up to 4.9 feet with the LCD screen closed
- dust-proof design is great for use at the beach
- shoots 1080p HD video
- simultaneously capture 2-megapixel stills while shooting video
- records to 32GB internal flash drive or optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card
- intelligent image stabilization keeps video steady at full zoom
- maximum battery life: 4.5 hours on a single charge
- Face Tracking keeps a moving subject in focus
- Time Lapse mode lets you condense action
Connections and dimensions:
- high-speed micro USB interface for connecting to a computer (cable included)
- mini HDMI and composite video outputs for connecting to a TV (cables included)
- 2-7/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 5"D
- weight: 10.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor (90 days video head parts)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3908C001
What's in the box:
- Lens cap (with tether cord)
- AC adapter with attached 71" DC output cord (DC output: 5.2V 1.0A)
- 21" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- 5" Adapter cable (Micro-B USB on one end and female DC barrel connector on other end)
- 2 Ferrite-core noise filters (for power cable)
- Basic User Guide
- Dealer Record of Canon Purchase sheet
- Registration sheet
- Maintenance After Use sheet
More details on the Canon VIXIA HF W11
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.0|
|Total Pixel Count||2.51 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||2.29 MP|
|Optical Zoom||40 x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Built-in Memory||32 GB|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||4h 20m|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||2.29 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||Micro-B USB|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||10.72|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon VIXIA HF W11 camcorder shoots high definition video, as well as digital still images. The camcorder features a waterproof and shockproof design to make sure you capture every adventure. The compact HF W11 is 2-3/4" wide, 5" long, and 2-5/16" high, and weighs 10.72 ounces.
Rugged Design: The camcorder is built to withstand extreme conditions, meeting or exceeding standards for waterproof, dustproof, freeze proof, and drop proof:
- Waterproof: Equivalent to IEC Standard publication 529 IPX8 and IPX6 (1 hour at depths up to 16.4 feet (5 meters).
- Dust Proof: Equivalent to IEC Standard publication 529 IP5X.
- Freeze Proof: Allowable operating temperatures: 14 degrees F to 104 degrees F (-10 deg C to +40 deg C). (Temperatures below 32 degrees F temporarily lower battery performance.)
- Drop Proof: Clears company testing compliant with MIL-STD-810F Method 516.5 Shock: dropping onto 1-3/16" thick plywood from a height of 4.9 feet.
Image Sensor: The HF W11 features a 1/5.8" back-illuminated CMOS image sensor with 2.51 total megapixels, and 2.29 effective megapixels for both video and photos.
3.0" LCD Touch Screen: The HF W11 features a 3.0" widescreen, touch-sensitive LCD screen with approximately 460,000 dots. The flip-out LCD panel can be rotated 270 degrees (180 deg forward, 90 deg backward), allowing you to shoot videos from high and low angles. Onscreen buttons allow you to maneuver through the menus, view images, and change settings.
Recording Formats: The camcorder records Full HD 1920 x 1080 movies in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video format with stereo audio. Still photos (1920 x 1080) are recorded in JPEG compression.
Dual Recording Media: The Canon HF W11 camcorder has a built-in 32 GB flash memory for capturing video and still images. In addition, there is a slot for an SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory card (not included). The estimated maximum recording times is as follows:
|Recording Quality||32 GB |
|SDHC / SDXC Cards|
|16 GB||32 GB||64 GB||128 GB|
|2 hrs 40 min||1 hr 20 min||2 hrs 40 min||5 hrs 40 min||11 hrs 30 min|
|3 hrs 40 min||1 hr 50 min||3 hrs 50 min||8 hrs 10 min||16 hrs 20 mins|
|13 hrs 30 min||7 hrs||14 hrs||28 hrs 50 min||57 hrs 50 min|
|2 hrs 20 min||1 hr 10 min||2 hr 30 min||5 hrs||10 hrs 10 min|
Lens: The HF W11 comes with a 2.9-116mm lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 40.5-1620mm for video and photos. It has a maximum aperture of f/1.8 (W) - f/6.3 (T). In addition to the 40x optical zoom, it has a 60x dynamic and 200x digital zoom. The lens has a 37mm filter thread, allowing you to add screw-on filters.
Image Stabilization: The HF W11 has Intelligent Image Stabilization that helps to reduce camera shake. You can choose from the following IS settings:
- On: Reduces camera shake under normal shooting conditions.
- AIS On: Reduces camera shake more effectively under bright lighting at wide-angle zoom position (approximately 5x or less).
- Enhanced AIS: The area of correction is greater than AIS mode, and reduces camera shake more effectively when zooming toward the telephoto end.
- Off: Turns IS off. Recommended when shooting still subjects, or when using a tripod.
Face Tracking: The camcorder can automatically detect people's faces. Face Tracking maintains sharp focus and accurate exposure on faces, even if the subject is in motion.
White Balance: The camcorder's white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic, Fine, Cloud, Halogen, Marine: blue, Marine: green, and Manual White Balance (MWB).
Built-in Speaker: The camcorder has a built-in speaker so you can review the soundtrack as well as the picture when you're using the LCD screen to playback a recording. The built-in speaker is monaural.
Built-in Battery: The Canon HF W11 has a built-in rechargeable battery. An AC power adapter (AC-V11U) and adapter cable are included for charging the battery or powering the camcorder. The camcorder is compatible with portable USB batteries (5V 1A, over 5200mAh) for charging on the go. The battery recording and charging times are as follows:
- Actual Recording Time: approximately 2 hours 10 min
- Continuous Recording Time: approximately 4 hours 20 min
- Charging Time: approximately 6 hrs 10 min
HDMI Output: The HF W11 features a mini-HDMI (Type C) terminal that offers a high-quality digital video and audio connection. No HDMI cable is included with the camcorder.
USB 2.0 Connection: The camcorder features a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed terminal for fast transfer of photos and videos, and to charge the internal battery. The port has a Micro-B connector.