About the Canon EOS M10 Kit
An agile compact camera with the heart of a DSLR
An agile compact camera with the heart of a DSLR
Canon's nimble EOS M10 gives you impressive DSLR-like performance and features wrapped in a pocket-sized form factor that's easy to take along. Everything you need to capture and share brilliant, high-quality pictures is built right in. Big APS-C image sensor for dynamic, detailed images even in low light? Check. Powerful Digic 6 image processor for fast response, plus high-accuracy stills and shake-free videos? Double check. Compatibility with a wide range of superb Canon lenses? Check-a-roonie. Whether you're a beginner, an advanced enthusiast, or a seasoned professional, if you're looking for a great camera you can take anywhere, you can count on the M10.
The M10's high-res touchscreen flips up to face you for spot-on self-portrait framing.
A tilting touchscreen heightens your experience
The EOS M10's convenient 3" tilting LCD touchscreen makes working with this camera just plain fun. The screen tilts upward to help you compose shots from low angles. It even turns all the way forward to face you so you can frame your selfies perfectly and be included in group shots. Use the touchscreen to change settings, define AF points for near-instant focus, and to trigger the shutter.
A lens you can use every day
The included 15-45mm lens is a great complement to the M10. Its built-in Image Stabilization helps you capture blur-free photos and smooth videos in nearly any kind of light, while specialized lens elements reduce aberrations for high-resolution image quality. Use it for portraits and documenting daily life — its focal range makes it an excellent all-around lens. On the wide end, it's great for street scenes and landscapes, and you can always zoom in to capture more details.
Explore your creativity
The M10's Creative Assist feature lets you change camera settings and see effects as you apply them, so you know what your final result will look like. Make adjustments to lighting, sharpness, and color to get the look and feel you want in your images. You can save up to six personal settings that can be applied anytime. Import images shared by others and you'll be able to see their settings and use them in your own photos.
A talented moviemaker
The EOS M10 records Full HD movies in MP4 format for easy sharing. Touch-activated autofocus and manual controls make it easy to adjust settings on the fly. Pair the M10 with one of Canon's EF-M STM (stepping motor) lenses for near silent autofocus during shooting. The camera's Dynamic Image Stabilization system minimizes camera shake, so you can capture video on foot, and the results won't make you seasick.
Wi-Fi adds versatility, convenience, and control
The M10's Wi-Fi lets you upload and share photos and videos in a matter of moments, but the benefits of this camera's wireless connectivity don't stop there. You can exchange data with other Wi-Fi compatible Canon cameras, play back images and movies on a smart TV, and print directly to a Wi-Fi printer. Canon's free Camera Connect app lets you manage photos and videos taken with the M10 on your phone or tablet. Use the app for its remote control capabilities, and your device becomes an extension of the camera's touchscreen, letting you select focus points and trigger the shutter with just a quick touch.
Works with a variety of Canon lenses
Canon DSLR users looking for a lighter, more portable camera will love the M10, and not just because of its familiar performance and features. The M10 works with Canon EF and EF-S lenses. Just pick up the EF-EOS M Mount adapter, and you'll enjoy full functionality with over 70 Canon lenses. Of course, Canon offers a growing line of dedicated EF-M lenses, but being able to use your existing lenses gives you more creative choices.
- 18-megapixel effective recording
- includes EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 24-72mm)
- APS-C-size CMOS image sensor (22.3 x 14.9 mm)
- compatible with Canon EF-M mount lenses
- compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses when used with optional EF-EOS M Mount adapter
- built-in Wi-Fi and NFC touch pairing for easy sharing and camera control from smart devices
- 3" (1,040,000 dot) tilting LCD touchscreen with brightness control tilts up to 180 degrees upward for creative composition at high or low angles
- self-cleaning sensor uses ultrasonic vibration to remove dust for spot-free images
- 49-point hybrid autofocus system combines phase detection and contrast detection for accurate, high-speed focusing, even when subject is in motion
- AF tracking locks focus for sharp captures of moving subjects
- face detection autofocus for sharp candids and portraits
- DIGIC 6 image processor allows speedy operation and reduces noise at high ISO settings
- stills can be recorded while simultaneously shooting video
- Creative Assist helps you change camera settings in real time and see the effects as you apply them
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 4.6 frames per second
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-12,800, expandable to 25,600 equivalent
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- preset scene modes for accurately exposed images in different shooting environments
- Self Portrait mode for better selfies
- built-in pop-up flash
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 5,184 x 3,456
- AVC/H 2.64 HD movies with stereo sound
- shoots HD video up to 1920 x 1080 resolution at 30/24 fps
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface
- mini HDMI (Type C) output (cable not included)
- 4-9/16"W x 2-11/16"H x 1-3/4"D (without lens)
- weight (with memory card and battery): 10.6 oz.
- USB cable
- rechargeable LP-E12 lithium ion battery
- battery charger
- neck strap
- body cap
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 0584C011
What's in the box:
- Digital camera body (black)
- Camera cover R-F-4 (installed)
- EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM zoom lens (graphite)
- Rear lens dust cap EB (installed)
- Lens Cap E-49 (installed)
- LP-E12 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery with plastic terminal cap (7.2V 875mAh 6.3Wh)
- LC-E12 Battery charger (8.4V 0.54A)
- EM-200DB Neck strap
- 50" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- Getting Started booklet
- Online product registration card
- Warranty registration card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EOS M10 Kit
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-72mm|
|Sensor Size||22.3mm x 14.9mm|
|Image Stabilization||With included lens|
|Highest Resolution||5184 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||10.6|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: This Canon EOS M10 kit includes the EOS M10 camera body and the EF-M 15-45mm IS STM lens. The camera has the Canon M mount, and is compatible with Canon EF-M lenses. With the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M, the EOS M10 camera is also compatible with the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses.
3" Touch Panel LCD Monitor: The EOS M10 features a 3" Touch Panel LCD monitor, with a 3:2 aspect ratio and approximately 1.04-million dots for composing and viewing images. The LCD monitor can tilt up to 180°, which makes it easier to frame low-angle shots or take self-portraits. The Touch Shutter feature lets you take photos by touching the screen and releasing your finger to shoot.
18 Megapixel CMOS Sensor: Canon's large-area CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, and offers approximately 18.5 million total pixels and 18.0 million effective pixels. This APS-C-sized sensor (22.3mm x 14.9mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective 1.6x field of view, compared to 35mm format. The camera has an image sensor cleaning function that automatically removes dust when the power is turned on or off. The cleaning function can be activated manually as well.
DIGIC 6: The EOS M10 features Canon's DIGIC 6 Image Processor to complement the 24.2 Megapixel image sensor. The DIGIC 6 helps the sensor to capture detailed images with lower noise at higher ISO speeds. The processor enables the camera to shoot high quality movies at up to Full HD (1920 x 1080) and continuous still image shooting at up to 4.6 frames per second.
Still Image Recording: The camera records still images in JPEG and RAW formats. You can choose from the following image sizes: Large, Medium, Small 1, Small 2, and Small 3. For each resolution (except Small 2 and Small 3), you can set the compression to Fine or Normal. For RAW images, you can record only at the highest resolution. You can set the camera to RAW + JPEG and record a RAW image and a Large Fine JPEG image simultaneously.
Aspect Ratio: The camera image sensor has an aspect ratio of 3:2. You can choose to record still images in 3:2, 4:3, 16:9, and 1:1 aspect ratios. This gives you the option of selecting any of the following image sizes:
|Quality||Aspect Ratio and Pixel Count|
(JPEG and RAW)
|5184 x 3456 |
|4608 x 3456 |
|5184 x 2912 |
|3456 x 3456 |
|Medium||4320 x 2880 |
|3840 x 2880 |
|4320 x 2432 |
|2880 x 2880 |
|Small 1||2880 x 1920 |
|2560 x 1920 |
|2880 x 1616 |
|1920 x 1920 |
|Small 2||2304 x 1536 |
|2048 x 1536 |
|1920 x 1080 |
|1536 x 1536 |
|Small 3||720 x 480 |
|640 x 480 |
|720 x 408 |
|480 x 480 |
RAW File Format: The RAW file format records the image data as captured by the camera's CMOS sensor without further processing and converts it to digital data and records it onto the card as is. RAW images can be adjusted, then developed and produced into JPEG or TIFF images using the downloadable software.
Recording Media: The EOS M10 records images on an SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards, including UHS-I (Ultra High Speed) memory cards. No recording media is supplied with the camera.
Shooting Modes: The EOS M10's top-mounted mode switch lets you choose from three main shooting modes: Scene Intelligent Auto, Hybrid Auto, and Movies. Other shooting modes can be chosen, depending upon the scene or desired effects. The M10 can record still images and movies in the following modes:
- Scene Intelligent Auto: This mode provides optimal settings for specific scenes automatically. The camera analyzes the scene and applies the settings.
- Hybrid Auto: In the Hybrid Auto mode, the camera records 2-4 second clips of scenes before each shot which are later combined into a digest movie.
- Creative Assist: The Creative Assist mode guides you through numerous options to make your photos better and more dynamic. You can change the background focus, brightness, contrast, color saturation and tone, and choose from five monochrome tones.
- Special Scene: In the Scene mode, you can select a setting that matches the shooting scene, and the camera automatically configures the settings. Available scenes include: Self-Portrait, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Handheld Night Scene, and Food.
- Creative Filters: The Creative Filters mode lets you add effects to your images while you shoot. You can choose from High Dynamic Range, Fish-Eye Effect, Art Bold, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera, Soft Focus, Grainy B/W, and Water Painting Effect.
- Program AE: This is a general-purpose shooting mode, the camera automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to suit the scene's brightness.
- Shutter-priority AE: In this mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically sets the aperture value to suit the brightness of the subject.
- Aperture-priority AE: In this mode, you set the desired aperture value and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically to suit the subject brightness.
- Manual Exposure: You set both the shutter speed and aperture value as desired.
- Movies: Movie mode lets you shoot High Definition and Standard Definition videos in 16:9 widescreen or 4:3 aspect ratios. You can use the mode switch or the dedicated recording button to begin recording movies.
Shooting Movies: The EOS M10 can record movies in High Definition or Standard Definition at different frame rates. Movies are recorded in MOV format with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression, and AAC audio. You can record audio using the built-in stereo microphone. When shooting movies, a large-capacity SD card with a speed rating of Class 4 or higher is recommended. You can select from the following recording sizes and frame rates:
- 1920 x 1080: Full HD recording quality with a 16:9 aspect ratio for viewing on a widescreen HDTV; Bit Rate is approximately 24 Mbps; Available frame rates: 30 fps, 24 fps (actually 29.97, 23.98 fps)
- 1280 x 720: HD recording quality with a 16:9 aspect ratio for viewing on a widescreen HDTV; Bit Rate is approximately 16 Mbps; Frame rate: 60 fps (actually 59.94 fps)
- 640 x 480: Standard definition recording quality with a 4:3 aspect ratio; Bit Rate is approximately 3 fps; Frame rate: 30 fps (29.97 fps)
Manual Focusing: If you choose to focus manually with an EF-M lens, you will need to switch to Manual Focus in the menu then turn the focusing ring on the lens. If using an EF or EF-S lens (with the EF-EOS-M adapter), you will need to set the focus mode switch on the lens from AF to MF, and turn the lens focusing ring until the subject looks sharp. You can magnify the image 5x or 10x for better visibility when focusing.
ISO Speed: When shooting in Basic Zone modes, ISO speed can be automatically or manually set between 100 and 12800 (in whole-stop increments) to suit the shooting conditions. When ISO Expansion is enabled, ISO values up to 25600 are possible.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings: Auto, Day Light, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, and Custom.
Picture Style: By selecting a picture style you can achieve various effects matching your photographic expression or the subject. Picture Style setting is not available in Basic Zone modes, except Creative Auto. Picture Style selections include: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, and User Defined.
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-3 EV in 1/3-stop increments using the dedicated dial on the top panel.
Flash: The camera has a built-in pop-up flash with three flash modes: Auto, On, and Slow Synchro.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Metering: The camera's standard metering mode utilizes all 384 zones within the frame, and is suited for most subjects even under backlit conditions. After detecting the main subject's position, brightness, background, front and back lighting conditions, etc, the camera sets the proper exposure.
- Partial Metering: Effective when the background is much brighter than the subject due to backlighting, etc; uses approximately 10% of the frame at the center.
- Spot Metering: For metering a specific part of the subject; uses approximately 2% of the frame at the center.
- Center-weighted Average Metering: Metering is weighted at the center and then averaged for the entire scene.
Continuous Shooting Mode: In Continuous Shooting mode, you can shoot up to about 4.6 frames per second. The maximum number of shots in a single burst will vary with the image quality setting: JPEG 1000 images, RAW 7 images, RAW+JPEG 4 images. In Servo AF continuous shooting mode, the maximum frame rate is approximately 2.2 fps.
Self-Timer: The camera will record an image following a preset time delay after pressing the shutter release. The self-timer lamp and beeper will indicate a countdown before the picture is taken. You can choose from the following self-timer modes:
- 10 Second: The camera takes a single image 10 seconds after pressing the shutter release button.
- 2 Second: The camera takes a single image 2 seconds after pressing the shutter release. This is handy for reducing camera shake.
- Custom: You can specify the delay between 0 and 30 seconds, and the number of shots, between 1 and 10.
Auto Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. The Auto Rotation feature can be turned off, if desired.
Image Review: The image can be displayed on the LCD monitor immediately after you shoot. The review time can be set to off (not displayed), 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds, or Hold, which keeps the image displayed on the LCD monitor until the camera is focused again.
Slide Show: You can view all images on the memory card one after another with the Auto Playback function (slide show). You can set the time each image is displayed on the LCD monitor to 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, or 20 seconds. You can also select which images to display: all images, images by date, images by folder, movies only, stills only, or by rating.
Index Display: This feature allows you to view 6, 12, 42, and 110 images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly.
Image Magnification: When viewing a still picture in single image playback mode, you can magnify the image from 1.5x to 10x. While the image is magnified, you can scroll anywhere around the image.
Rotating Images: You can rotate an image by 90° or 270° clockwise in the LCD monitor.
PictBridge Printing: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
DPOF Print Settings: On the memory card, you can select which image or images you want to print and how many copies you want. This is convenient for printing images all at once, on optional Canon direct print function compliant printers, on PictBridge compliant printers, or at participating photo labs.
Wi-Fi Overview: Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to send images wirelessly from the camera to a variety of compatible devices, and operate the camera remotely from your smartphone. The camera supports IEEE 802.11b/g/n, and has a range of 49'.
NFC-Compatible: The EOS M10 is compatible with NFC-compatible Android smartphones (version 4.0 or later), which allows you to connect by touching the phone to the N-Mark on the right side of the camera.
Compatible Devices: You can connect the camera to the following devices and services via Wi-Fi:
- Smartphones and Tablets: Using the Canon Camera Connect app you can transfer photos and videos to your mobile device, and use the device to control the camera. The app is available for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch running iOS 6.0 or later, and Android devices with OS 4.0 and up.
- Other Cameras: You can send images from the EOS M10 to another Wi-Fi-connected Canon camera, or vice versa.
- Wireless Printing: You can print images wirelessly on a Wi-Fi-connected printer. You can use an existing access point, or use the camera as an access point.
- Canon Connect Station: You can connect directly to the Canon Connect Station CS100 and transfer photos and videos to the built-in 1 TB of storage.
- Canon iMAGE Gateway: With a one-time registration to the Canon iMAGE Gateway, you can send photos and videos to the web service from your PC or smartphone.
- DLNA Media Player: You can view images in your camera on a DLNA-compatible TV, game system, smartphone, or other media player.
HDMI Outputs: The camera is equipped with a mini-HDMI jack (Type C) which allows you to connect the camera to an HDTV. A mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required.
USB Port: The USB port allows you to connect the camera to your computer via the supplied USB cable for downloading the recorded images and movies.
Microphone: The camera has a 3.5mm minijack input for connecting an external microphone.
Battery: The EOS M10 operates on the supplied LP-E12 Lithium-Ion battery (7.2V/875 mAh). Battery performance decreases when used in temperatures below 32° F. The battery can be charged in the supplied LC-E12 battery charger in approximately 2 hours. Typical battery life for the LP-E12 battery is as follows (using EF-M 15-45mm lens):
- Still Images:
- At 73°F (23°C): Approx. 255 shots
- At 73°F (23°C) Eco Mode: Approx. 360 shots
- At 32°F (0°C): Approx. 210 shots
- Movie Shooting:
- Continuous Shooting:
- At 73°F (23°C): Approx. 1 hr 45 min.
- At 32°F (0°C): Approx. 1 hr 40 min
- Actual Use (73°F / 23°C): Approx. 1 hr 5 min
- Movie Playback (73°F / 23°C): Approx. 3 hours
- Continuous Shooting:
Power Saving: You can save battery power by activating the Display Off and Auto Power Down features. After a pre-selected period of time (10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, 3 min), the display will automatically turn itself off if no buttons are pressed. After approximately 2 additional minutes (5 minutes in playback mode), the camera will automatically power down.
Optional AC Power: With the optional ACK-E12 AC adapter kit, you can connect the camera to household power without worry of the battery becoming exhausted.
Lens: This EOS M10 kit comes with the EF-M 15-45mm IS STM lens. IS stands for Image Stabilizer, while STM stands for Stepping Motor.
Image Stabilizer: The Image Stabilizer system built into this lens provides up to three equivalent stops of shake correction, giving you much sharper photos at full zoom, and blur-free videos.
Auto/Manual Focus Modes: When using an EF-M lens, the focus mode must be set in the camera menu. After setting the mode to Manual Focus, you can focus on your subject by turning the focusing ring.
|EF-M 15-45 IS STM|
|Lens Construction||10 elements in 9 groups|
|Angle of View||Diagonal: 84°30'- 33°40' |
|Maximum Magnification||0.25x (at 45mm)|
|Minimum Focusing Distance||0.82' (9.84")|
|Filter Diameter||49mm (E-49)|
|Hood||EW-53 (sold separately)|
|Dimensions||Diameter: 2.389" |
Length: 2.037" (2.533" w/caps)
Software: The following software is available for download from the Canon website for use with the EOS M10:
- Digital Photo Professional (Windows/Mac): primarily used for browsing, selecting, and developing RAW images. It has various image adjustment functions in the Picture Style format, and allows you to make adjustments easily. Available for Windows 10 (desktop mode only), Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.10.
- EOS Utility (Windows/Mac): an application for making camera settings, transferring images, and remote shooting. Available for Windows 10 (desktop mode only), Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.8 to 10.10.
- Picture Style Editor (Windows/Mac): allows you to edit Picture Style to your unique image characteristics and save them as original Picture Style files. Available for Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.8 to 10.10.
- Camera User Guide: a full 196-page instruction manual is available for download.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?