Canon RF 28-70mm F2 L USM
L-series standard zoom lens for Canon EOS R mirrorless cameras
Item # 280R2870L | MFR # 2965C002
$2,999.00 Earn up to 2,999 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Canon RF 28-70mm F2 L USM by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
A high-performance zoom for the Canon EOS R
For premium image quality, Canon's L-series RF 28-70mm zoom lens is a great choice for the EOS R mirrorless camera. Its versatile focal range is useful for everything from landscape and architecture shots to portraits and detailed close-ups. A constant f/2 aperture throughout the zoom range lets you easily change focal lengths without having to alter your exposure settings.
- lens type: RF mount full frame
- compatible with Canon EOS R mirrorless cameras
- Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating on front and rear lens elements repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) minimizes ghosting and flare
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed, aperture, and more
- control ring produces audible clicks for feedback when looking through viewfinder; clicking mechanism can be removed by a Canon service provider for a fee
- constant f/2 maximum aperture for consistent low-light performance throughout zoom range
- minimum focus distance: 1.28'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 19 elements in 13 groups
- one Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) element and two standard UD elements for outstanding contrast and clarity
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- filter diameter: 95mm
- lens is 5-1/2" long, 4-1/8" in diameter
- weight: 3.15 lbs.
- includes front and rear lens caps and lens hood
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- RF28-70mm F2 L USM zoom lens
- Lens cap E-95 (installed)
- Rear lens cap RF (installed)
- Lens Hood EW-103
- Lens Case LP1424
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Canon Limited Warranty card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Canon RF 28-70mm f/2 L USM standard zoom lens for the new R-series mirrorless cameras. The lens is ideal for portraits, weddings, landscapes, nightscapes, and movies. It features a constant maximum aperture of f/2 throughout the zoom range for unrivaled performance. It not only performs in low-light areas, but provides sharp focus and beautiful background blur at various focal lengths. The RF 28-70mm lens comes with a lens hood and soft case.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 19 lens elements in 13 groups. The lens has four aspheric lenses for correcting aberrations, distortions, and astigmatism, plus two UD elements and one Super UD element for reducing chromatic aberration.
Lens Coatings: The front and rear lens surfaces are coated with non-stick fluorine to help reduce smears and fingerprints. This helps prevents dust, water, oil, and other surface residue from sticking to the lens, and allows you to quickly and easily wipe the lens clean without the use of solvents. In addition, Air Sphere Coating (ASC) on the lens elements help to combat flare, ghosting, and reflections with reduced aberrations.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Image Stabilization, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Control Ring: The RF-series lenses feature a control ring on the lens barrel, which can be assigned to functions that are commonly used on the camera. These functions include shutter speed and aperture settings, or exposure compensation. The ring has a clicking mechanism that acts as a confirmation that the settings are being changed.
Note: The clicking sound could possibly be picked up by the microphone while shooting movies. If you desire a silent control ring, the clicking mechanism can be removed by a Canon service provider (for a fee).
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether the lens is set to manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually fine-tune the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Lens Hood: The included EW-103 lens hood can keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protect the lens from rain, snow, and dust. You can reverse-mount the lens hood on the lens for storage. Mounting the lens hood adds approximately 1-3/4" to the overall length of the lens.
Optional Filters: The RF 28-70mm lens has a 95mm mounting thread on the front of the lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Focal Length: 28-70mm
- Aperture Range: f/2 to f/22
- Focal Length Scale: Graduated in millimeters: 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 70mm
- Aperture Design: 9-blade circular
- Lens Construction: 19 elements in 13 groups
- Filter Diameter: 95mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.28 feet (15.36 inches)
- Diagonal Angle of View: 75° to 34°
- Dimensions: 4.086" Diameter, 5.5" Length (6.444" with caps)
- Weight: 50.4 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.