About the Canon EOS R3 (no lens included)
Canon's best fast-action mirrorless camera
Canon's best fast-action mirrorless camera
If you've ever photographed a fast-moving subject, then you know it can be difficult to get sharp, blur-free photos (you know those blurry dog pics in the backyard that I'm talking about). That's why advanced mirrorless cameras like Canon's EOS R3 exist — to freeze fast-moving subjects no matter how quickly they're moving.
The R3's integrated grip gives you excellent battery life, plus a second set of controls for shooting in portrait mode.
The R3 is all about speed, speed, speed
I've photographed a number of action-oriented events in my career, including collegiate and motor sports.
When I miss an action shot it's almost always due to one of two things: either my camera's buffer has filled up and I have to wait to take the next frame, or the focus can't keep up and I get a blurry shot. The professional-grade R3 solves these issues, and more.
Press and hold the shutter button to enable continuous shooting, and you'll be rewarded with an astonishing 1,000 high-res JPEGs in a row before the camera has to catch its breath (or an equally impressive 290 RAW files). It freezes the action by capturing up to 30 frames per second.
This camera also features Canon's potent Dual Pixel CMOS AF II autofocus system, which quickly and accurately keeps your moving subject in focus.
A fantastic choice for videographers, too
The EOS R3 is a world-class still camera, but it's also an attractive option for professional videographers, thanks to in-body image stabilization, 6K/60p and 4K/120p video recording, and dual card slots with simultaneous recording.
The in-body image stabilization (IBIS) is part of what makes this camera so special. It lets you take photos in low-light environments at slow shutter speeds — a situation where slight movements of your hands would normally affect your image quality.
The image stabilization system is particularly helpful when recording handheld video. You'll capture super-smooth footage without the "jumping" effect that non-stabilized cameras can produce, even when using non-stabilized lenses.
Tailor-built for professionals
One of the features I love most about the R3 is its integrated grip, which gives you a second set of controls for shooting vertically, plus excellent battery life.
The R3 is weather-sealed against dirt and moisture, so you can confidently use it outdoors in adverse conditions. And if you already shoot with one of Canon's pro-level DSLR cameras, you're in luck — the R3 uses the same beefy LP-E19 rechargeable battery as the acclaimed EOS-1D X Mark III.
Superb matching RF Series lenses
One of the best reasons to consider the R3 is Canon's magnificent lineup of matching RF lenses. These mirrorless-only models are among the best lenses Canon has ever constructed. Yes, they can be large (and quite expensive), but the image quality they yield is second to none.
It's worth noting that RF lenses are only compatible with Canon's EOS R system. Because of their unique design, RF lenses cannot be used with any of Canon's DSLR cameras.
Compatible with your existing Canon glass
If you already own Canon EF lenses you'll be happy to know you can use them with the R3. That's huge news for the many Canon users (like me) whose investment in lenses might well outweigh the cost of a camera itself. You'll need one of Canon's EOS mount adapters to attach your existing glass to the EOS R3.
- 24.1-megapixel full-frame back-illuminated stacked CMOS sensor
- in-body image stabilization for up to 8 stops of shake correction
- DIGIC X image processor for speedy operation and reduced noise at high ISO settings
- compatible with Canon RF lenses
- optional EOS mount adapters allow you to use Canon EF lenses
- not compatible with Canon EF-M lenses
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allows easy file sharing and remote control from smart devices
- 3.15" high-resolution 4.15-million-dot LCD rotating touchscreen with anti-smudge coating and brightness control
- high-resolution 5.76-million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder
- provides 100% frame coverage
- multi-function hot shoe for use with optional external accessories like a microphone or flash transmitter
- rechargeable LP-E19 lithium ion battery and LC-E19 charger included
- charger can recharge up to two LP-E19 batteries at one time
- weather-sealed against dirt and moisture for use in adverse conditions
- ideal for capturing fast-moving subjects like athletes, race cars, and wildlife
- 6K at up to 60 frames per second
- 4K at up to 120 frames per second
- Canon Log gamma profile supports HDR movie production
- 10-bit 4:2:2 HDMI output lets you record cinema-quality video to an external monitor
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF II autofocus system for fast, accurate focusing
- 1,053 automatic AF zones
- Face+Tracking AF and Eye Detection AF modes lock focus for sharp captures of moving subjects
- Eye Control AF automatically tracks the movement of your eye to lock-in on your subject's initial focal point
Exposure modes and controls:
- up to 12 frames per second in high-speed continuous shooting mode with the mechanical shutter
- up to 30 frames per second in high-speed continuous shooting mode with the electronic shutter
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- shutter speed range: 30-1/8,000 seconds, bulb
- ISO range: 100-51,200 (expandable to 204,800)
File formats and storage:
- records in RAW, JPEG, and RAW+JPEG formats
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 6000 x 4000
- movie file format: MP4
- dual card slots for expanded storage and recording options
Connections and dimensions:
- USB (Type C) interface for fast data transfer and charging (cable included)
- HDMI micro (Type D) output (cable not included)
- 3.5mm microphone input and 3.5mm headphone jack
- 5-15/16"W x 5-5/8"H x 3-7/16"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 2.24 pounds
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 4895C002
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EOS R3 (no lens included)
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3.2"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||None included|
|CFexpress Cards||Type B|
|SD Cards||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Image Stabilization||In-body + IS lens|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||35.84|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|