About the Canon EOS R5 (no lens included)
Canon's best-ever mirrorless camera
Canon's best-ever mirrorless camera
There was a lot of hype leading up to the debut of Canon's EOS R5. As a long-time Canon fanatic, I was curious to see what the company had in store for its mirrorless camera franchise. And I have to admit, after seeing what the full-frame R5 can do, I've become smitten myself. Just check out some of the details.
The EOS R5 packs a number of upgrades over its highly acclaimed predecessor, the EOS R. You get in-body image stabilization, 4K/120p video recording, a whopping 45-megapixel image sensor, and — a must-have for wedding and event photographers — dual card slots with simultaneous recording.
Enjoy shake-free photos and videos
The feature I was most excited about with the R5 is its all-new in-body image stabilization system — the first of its kind for Canon. It lets you take photos in low-light environments at slow shutter speeds, a situation where slight movements of your hands would normally affect your image quality.
The image stabilization system is particularly helpful when recording handheld video. You'll capture super-smooth footage without the "jumping" effect that non-stabilized cameras can produce.
The R5's top-panel LCD screen gives you real-time feedback on exposure settings, battery life, and more.
Superb matching RF Series lenses
One of the best reasons to consider the R5 is Canon's magnificent lineup of matching RF lenses.
These mirrorless-only models are among the best lenses Canon has ever constructed. Yes, they can be large (and quite expensive), but the image quality they yield is second to none.
Among the RF glass I've had the pleasure of auditioning, I found the 50mm f/1.2 L to be the sharpest lens I've ever used wide open. Portraits were absolutely stunning, and my clients were deeply satisfied with the results.
It's worth noting that RF lenses are only compatible with Canon's EOS R system. Because of their unique design, RF lenses cannot be used with any of Canon's DSLR cameras.
Compatible with your existing Canon glass
If you already own Canon EF or EF-S lenses, good news: you can use them with the R5. That's huge, since for many of us, our investment into can well outweigh the cost of a camera itself. Use one of Canon's EOS mount adapters to attach your existing glass to the EOS R5, and capture ultra-high-quality images and videos with your new camera.
- 45-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor
- in-body image stabilization for up to 8 stops of shake correction
- DIGIC X image processor for speedy operation and reduced noise at high ISO settings
- compatible with Canon RF lenses
- optional EOS mount adapters allow you to use Canon EF and EF-S lenses
- not compatible with Canon EF-M lenses
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allows easy file sharing and remote control from smart devices
- 3.15" high-resolution 2.10-million-dot LCD rotating touchscreen with anti-smudge coating and brightness control
- high-resolution 5.76-million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder
- provides 100% frame coverage
- self-cleaning sensor with dust deletion feature
- rechargeable LP-E6N lithium ion battery, charger, IFC-100U interface cable, and neck strap included
- 8K at 30 frames per second
- 4K at 30, 60, or 120 frames per second
- Canon Log gamma profile supports HDR movie production
- 10-bit 4:2:2 HDMI output lets you record cinema-quality video to an external monitor
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF II autofocus system for fast, accurate focusing
- 1,053 automatic AF zones
- Face+Tracking AF and Eye Detection AF modes lock focus for sharp captures of moving subjects
- Touch and Drag AF mode lets you select a focus point on the LCD screen without moving your eye away from the viewfinder
Exposure modes and controls:
- up to 12 frames per second in high-speed continuous shooting mode with the mechanical shutter
- up to 20 frames per second in high-speed continuous shooting mode with the electronic shutter
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- flexible-priority Fv mode lets you make changes to aperture, shutter speed, or ISO without having to change modes
- shutter speed range: 30-1/8,000 seconds, bulb
- ISO range: 100-51,200 (expandable to ISO 50 to 102,400 equivalents)
- flash sync at 1/200 seconds (mechanical shutter) and 1/250 seconds (electronic shutter)
- high-speed sync mode lets you synchronize the flash to shutter speeds up to 1/8,000
- no built-in flash — works with Canon Speedlites
File formats and storage:
- records in RAW, JPEG, and RAW+JPEG formats
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 8192 x 5464
- movie file format: MP4
- dual card slots for expanded storage and recording options
Connections and dimensions:
- USB (Type C) interface for fast data transfer and charging (cable included)
- HDMI micro (Type D) output (cable not included)
- 3.5mm microphone input and 3.5mm headphone jack
- 5-1/2"W x 3-7/8"H x 3-1/2"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 1.63 pounds
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 4147C002
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EOS R5 (no lens included)