About the Canon RF 14-35mm f/4 L IS USM
A landscape photographer's dream
A landscape photographer's dream
Outside of Crutchfield I'm a professional landscape photographer, and for years I've used Canon's EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM as my go-to lens for sunrise shots. Now that I've made the switch from DSLR to mirrorless, the all-new RF 14-35mm f/4 L IS USM will take its place in my bag.
Pair this weather-sealed zoom lens with your Canon EOS R Series mirrorless camera for unique perspectives of nature, architecture, and events. Built-in image stabilization makes it a particularly good match with non-stabilized bodies, like the EOS R or RP.
Is this lens right for you?
Canon makes two RF ultra-wide zooms: this one, and the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM. The big difference is in their maximum apertures. This f/4 lens is "one stop" slower than the f/2.8 version, meaning when it's shot wide open at f/4, it lets in half the amount of light as the faster f/2.8.
That extra stop of light is quite useful in low-light environments, like wedding receptions or indoor birthday parties. But if you primarily shoot during the day, on a tripod, or stopped down, that extra stop won't matter. You can safely go with the f/4, and save the extra cash.
- lens type: RF mount ultra-wide-angle zoom
- compatible with Canon EOS R series mirrorless cameras
- ideal for landscape, cityscape, architectural, and event photography
- built-in image stabilization for sharper images at slower shutter speeds compared to non-stabilized lenses
- Nano USM (Ultrasonic Motor Technology) focus motor for fast, silent autofocus
- nearly silent autofocus is ideal for shooting video, including vlogging
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed, aperture, and more
Design and construction:
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- SWC (Subwavelength Structure) and ASC (Air Sphere) coatings minimize ghosting and flare
- maximum aperture: f/4
- minimum focus distance: .65 feet
- lens construction: 16 elements in 12 groups, including 1 super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) element to reduce chromatic aberration
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- includes lens hood, lens pouch, and front and rear lens caps
Dimensions and warranty:
- length: 4-1/4"
- diameter: 3-5/16"
- filter diameter: 77mm
- weight: 19 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 4857C002
What's in the box:
- RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM zoom lens
- Lens Cap E-77 II (installed)
- Lens Dust Cap RF (installed)
- EW-83P lens hood
- LP1219 Lens case
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Warranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon RF 14-35mm f/4 L IS USM
Overview: The Canon RF 14-35mm f/4 L IS USM wide angle zoom lens has a range makes it ideal for capturing architecture, landscapes, and other expansive subjects. The Canon L-series lenses are designed for professionals or the serious enthusiast who want peak performance and quality images every time. The RF 14-35mm lens has separate zoom, focus, and control rings on the lens barrel for complete control. Its Optical Image Stabilization works with EOS R series cameras to provide up to 7 stops of stabilization (with select R-series cameras). The lens comes with a petal-shaped lens hood (EW-83P), and a lens case (LP1219).
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 16 lens elements in 12 groups, including 3 aspherical lens elements for superb image clarity from the center to the edges of the frame, and 3 Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) lens elements to reduce aberrations and distortion. The lens has Canon's Sub-wavelength Structure Coating (SWC) and Air Sphere Coating (ASC) to reduce lens flare and ghosting. The Super Spectra Coating (SSC) ensures a consistent color balance across all lens elements. The fluorine coating on the front and rear lens surfaces protects the lens from smudges and fingerprints. The lens features dust- and weather-resistant construction from end-to-end to prevent water and dust from entering the lens.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Image Stabilization, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Control Ring: The RF 14-35mm lens features a separate control ring on the outer portion of the lens barrel. The control ring can be programmed for a variety of adjustments, such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed, or exposure compensation. The ring features a click action that gives you a sense of how much it is being turned. The sound of the control ring may be recorded when shooting movies. The click action can only be removed by sending the lens to the Canon Service Center (fee required).
Image Stabilizer (IS): The RF 14-35mm lens features Optical Image Stabilization (IS) when mounted to a Canon EOS R series camera. The camera and the lens share data to dramatically reduce blur caused by camera shake while shooting still images and videos. Image Stabilization can be turned on or off with the switch on the lens barrel. When paired with the Canon R5 or R6 cameras, which have In-Body Image Stabilization, the effect of Coordinated IS is equivalent to 7 stops. On other EOS R and RP cameras, the optical image stabilization effect is equivalent to 5.5 stops.
Nano USM: The RF 14-35mm lens is equipped with Canon's Nano USM (Ultra-Sonic Motor) which features a small chip-shaped ultrasonic motor to give you high-speed, smooth, and precise autofocus. The Nano USM operates in near silence, making it ideal for video recording.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the petal-shaped EW-83P bayonet-type lens hood which cuts out unwanted light and protects the front of the lens from rain, snow, and dust. When attached to the lens, the hood adds approximately 1" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, you can reverse-mount the lens hood for storage.
Optional Filters: The RF 14-35mm lens has an 77mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Focal Length: 14-35mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/4 (throughout the zoom range)
- Minimum Aperture: f/22 (throughout the zoom range)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.38x (at 35mm)
- Aperture Design: 9-blade circular
- Angle of View:
- Horizontal: 104° to 54°
- Vertical: 81° to 38°
- Diagonal: 114° to 63°
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 12 groups (3 Aspherical lens elements, 3 UD lens elements)
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 0.66 feet (7.92 inches)
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.293", Length 4.259" (4.895" with caps)
- Weight: 19.0 ounces