About the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM
A wide-angle prime that's easy on the wallet
A wide-angle prime that's easy on the wallet
Canon EOS R Series photographers have a wonderful new option for capturing dramatic wide-angle views. The ultra-compact RF 16mm f/2.8 STM offers unique perspectives of buildings, landscapes, and the night sky — all without setting you back a ton of cash. Videographers will especially appreciate its lightweight design and smooth, quiet autofocus.
- lens type: RF mount full-frame
- compatible with Canon EOS R Series mirrorless cameras
- capture dramatic wide-angle views where space and light are limited
- ideal for landscape, cityscape, architectural, and astrophotography
- quiet autofocus for shooting video, including vlogging
Design and construction:
- compact, lightweight design
- stepping motor (STM) for smooth and quiet autofocus with still image and video recording
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed and aperture
- Super Spectra coating reduces lens flare and ghosting
- maximum aperture: f/2.8
- minimum focus distance: .43 feet
- lens construction: 9 elements in 7 groups, including 1 aspherical element
- 7-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- includes front and rear lens caps
Dimensions and warranty:
- diameter: 2-3/4"
- length: 1-15/16"
- weight: 5.8 oz.
- filter diameter: 43mm
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 5051C002
What's in the box:
- RF 16mm F2.8 STM lens
- Lens Cap E-43 (installed)
- Lens Dust Cap RF (installed)
- Canon International Lens Instructions
- Warranty Card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM
Overview: The Canon RF16mm f/2.8 STM lens is compatible with the EOS R series mirrorless cameras. This ultra wide-angle lens is compact and lightweight, and has a bright f/2.8 aperture that performs well in low-light situations. The 16mm focal length provides expansive views, and is ideal for shooting the night sky, wide landscapes and cityscapes, group shots, indoor photography, and unique portraits. Its minimum focusing distance of 5.11 inches lets you get close to your subject, while the 16mm focal length provides an interesting distortion to your subject in closeups.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 9 lens elements in 7 groups, including one Aspherical element. The lens also features Canon's Super Spectra Coating to protect excellent protection from lens flare.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Focusing/Control Ring: The RF-series lenses feature a ring on the lens that can be used as either a focusing ring or a control ring. A 2-way switch on the lens barrel lets you choose the ring function:
- Control: As a control ring, it can assign the functions that are commonly used with cameras, such as shutter speed, aperture settings, exposure compensation, etc. The camera's manual can provide instructions on the control ring's function.
- Focus As a focusing ring, you can manually focus on your subject by rotating the focus ring. There is no focus mode switch, so you will need to set the focus mode (Auto or Manual) in the camera's menu.
Stepping Motor (STM): The RF 16mm lens is equipped with a gear-type Stepping Motor (STM) focus drive system. It helps to maintain the focus while following a subject using Servo AF in still photography. It also provides a smooth transition from one subject to another with Movie Servo AF in video applications.
Shake Correction: Although the lens does not have Optical Image Stabilization, when used on a camera body with In-Body Image Stabilizer (such as the EOS R5), you can enjoy up to 5.5 stops of shake correction. IBIS features precise 5-axis image stabilization to provide sharp handheld photos and steady videos without having to increase the ISO speed or using a tripod.
Circular 7-blade Aperture: The lens features a circular 7-blade aperture that presents a pleasant out-of-focus background blur (bokeh) to help your subject stand out in your photos.
Optional Filters: The RF 16mm f/2.8 STM lens has a 43mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
Optional Lens Hood and Case: Canon offers the optional petal-shaped EW-65C lens hood which is designed to block sunlight or other light sources to prevent glare and lens flare, and to protect the lens from scratches and the weather. Also available from Canon is the LP1014 lens pouch to protect the lens when it's not in use.
- Focal Length: 16mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Aperture Design: 7-blade circular
- Lens Construction: 9 elements in 7 groups
- Filter Diameter: 43mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 5.1 inches (0.43')
- Maximum Magnification: 0.26x
- Angle of View:
- Horizontal: 98°
- Vertical: 74°
- Diagonal: 108° 10'
- Dimensions: Diameter 2.724", Length 1.915" (2.473" w/lens caps)
- Weight: 5.8 ounces