About the Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM
Explore the world with a new perspective
Explore the world with a new perspective
Every now and then a new lens design comes out that makes me sit up and go "Whoa!" Canon's RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM is one such example. This ultra-capable super telephoto lens combines superb optics with a staggering range and nearly unparalleled capability.
This "ultra zoom" lens will let you photograph subjects that are relatively close, like your dog playing in the yard. But with a flick of the wrist, you can extend this lens all the way out to 500mm and capture detailed photos of far-away wildlife, distant sunsets, or even the moon.
I think that photojournalists will especially like this versatile lens for its rugged reliability and ability to produce consistent, high-quality images — even in adverse conditions.
A retractable design makes this lens smaller and easier to store and transport when not in use.
It all starts with image quality
If you own a Canon EOS R Series camera, you're probably hip to the company's exceptional lineup of RF-mount lenses. The RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM complements the other high-end glass in Canon's upper-echelon L Series lineup, offering superb image and build quality.
You'll enjoy razor-sharp focus, vibrant, punchy colors, and beautiful out-of-focus elements across this lens' wide focal range.
Outstanding focus and image stabilization
One of the big improvements this lens offers over Canon's previous super-zoom models is a new type of ultrasonic motor technology called Nano USM, which uses two independent but highly synchronized focusing motors — a first for Canon autofocus lenses.
That means you'll enjoy lightning-fast focusing on your subject, along with quiet, buttery smooth focus transition when shooting video. This lens even offers three different image stabilization modes, which are selectable with a barrel-mounted switch.
- ideal for sports, event, wildlife, and aviation photography
- lens type: RF mount full-frame
- compatible with Canon EOS R series mirrorless cameras
- variable 100-500mm focal length
- retractable lens barrel makes for a compact, easy-to-store design when not in use
- optical image stabilization with up to 5 stops of shake correction
- three selectable image stabilization modes (single-shot, panning-optimized, and exposure-activated) with barrel-mounted switch
- vibration resistance in the lens barrel helps to maintain focus and settings in turbulent situations
- dual independent Nano USM (Ultrasonic Motor Technology) focus motors for fast, silent autofocus
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed, aperture, and more
- variable maximum aperture of f/4.5 (at 100mm) to f/7.1 (at 500mm)
- minimum aperture: f/54
- removable, rotating tripod collar for use with a tripod or monopod
- minimum focus distance: 2.95 feet at 100mm
- lens construction: 20 elements in 14 groups, including:
- 1 super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) element to reduce chromatic aberration
- 6 standard UD elements for outstanding contrast and clarity
- 9-blade circular aperture for rendering beautiful of out-of-focus background elements
- filter/attachment size: 77mm
- length fully retracted: 8-3/16"
- length fully extended: 11-3/4"
- diameter: 3-3/4"
- weight: 3 lbs.
- includes front and rear lens caps
- includes lens case (LZ1328)
- includes lens hood with a sliding opening for filters
- includes tripod collar for use with a tripod or monopod
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 4112C002
What's in the box:
- RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM zoom lens
- Tripod mount ring F (WIII)(installed)
- E-77 II front lens cap (installed)
- Lens dust cap RF (installed)
- ET-83F (WIII)
- LZ1328 Zippered storage case
- Strap for case
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Warranty card
Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM
Overview: The Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM is a super telephoto zoom lens made for Canon's EOS R Series cameras. The Canon L-series lenses are designed for professionals or the serious enthusiast who want peak performance and quality images every time. The RF100-500mm lens has a wide zoom range that is ideal for sports, wildlife, and other long-distance photography. Its Optical Image Stabilization works with EOS R series cameras to provide up to 5 stops of stabilization.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 20 lens elements in 14 groups, including one Super UD lens, and six UD elements for reducing axial chromatic aberration and chromatic aberration of magnification. The Air Sphere coating helps to reduce flare and ghosting. A Fluorine coating on the front and rear glass surfaces help repel water and fingerprints to make it easier to clean. The lens features dust- and weather-resistant construction from end-to-end to prevent water and dust from entering the lens. RF-series lenses have a large 54mm lens mount, with large diameter elements to give you brilliant images with minimal light fallout.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Image Stabilization, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Zoom Ring: The RF 100-500mm lens has a rotating-type zoom ring, instead of a sliding zoom mechanism. The rotating action makes it easier for traveling, because it is less likely for gravity to inadvertently change the zoom position. A separate ring lets you adjust the operational feeling, or weight of movement, of the zoom ring. You can adjust the ring toward "Smooth" for a lighter touch, or toward "Tight" to strengthen the feeling. When traveling with the lens, it is recommended that the adjustment ring is turned fully to the "Tight" setting to prevent the front of the lens from being unintentionally extended.
Focus Mode Switch: The lens has a 2-way Focus Mode switch that lets you choose between Auto Focus (AF) and Manual Focus (MF). In MF mode, the focus is set by turning the focus ring.
Control Ring: The RF 100-500mm lens features a control ring that can be assigned commonly used functions, such as shutter speed and aperture settings. It has a click action to give you a sense of how much it's being turned. In some cases, the sound of the control ring clicks may be picked up when recording movies. To remove the clicking sound, you will need to send the lens to the Canon Service Center for service. There is a charge for this service.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The RF 100-500mm lens features Optical Image Stabilization (IS) when mounted to a Canon EOS R series camera. The effect of Image Stabilization is equivalent to up to 5 stops. With the new EOS R5 and EOS R6 with In-Body Image Stabilization, the correction effect is equivalent to 6 stops. The camera and the lens share data to dramatically reduce blur caused by camera shake while shooting still images and videos. Image Stabilization can be turned on or off with the On/Off switch on the lens barrel. There are three Stabilizer Modes to choose from:
- Mode 1: Corrects vibrations in all directions -- suitable for still subjects.
- Mode 2: Corrects camera shake during panning or tilting. Vibrations are corrected at right angles to the panning/tilting direction.
- Mode 3: Corrects vibrations during exposure in the same way as Mode 2. It is suited for irregularly moving subjects, such as sports or animals.
USM: The RF 100-500mm lens is equipped with Dual Nano USM (Ultrasonic Motor) auto focus motors, which quickly and quietly auto focus on fast moving subjects. Focus tracking is more accurately captured as well.
Lens Hood: The included ET-83F bayonet-type lens hood cuts out unwanted light and protects the front of the lens from rain, snow, and dust. The hood has a filter adjustment window which, when opened, allows you to adjust a circular polarizing filter while the hood is attached to the lens. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 3" to the overall length of the lens. When not in use, you can reverse-mount the lens hood for storage.
Optional Filters: The RF 100-500mm lens has a 77mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
Optional Extenders: The lens is compatible with the Canon RF1.4x and RF2x extenders. The extenders work with the middle focusing distance (300mm) to the maximum focal distance (500mm), and extends the focal length to 420mm to 700mm (for the RF1.4x), or 600mm to 1000mm (for the RF2x). The extenders attach first to the lens, then to the camera.
- Focal Length: 100-500mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.5 - f/7.1 (1/3 stops); f/4 - f/6.7 (1/2 stops)
- Minimum Aperture: f/32 - f/51 (1/3 stops); f/32 - f/54 (1/2 stops)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.33x (at 500mm)
- Focal Length Scale: Graduated in millimeters: 100mm, 135mm, 200mm, 300mm, 400mm, 500mm
- Aperture Design: 9-blade circular
- Angle of View:
- Horizontal: 20° to 4°
- Vertical: 14° to 2°45'
- Diagonal: 24° to 5°
- Lens Construction: 20 elements in 14 groups (1 Super UD lens element, 6 UD lens elements)
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 2.95' (at 100mm); 3.94' (at 500mm)
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.688", Length 8.387" (9.13" with caps)
- Weight: 48.32 ounces