About the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L MACRO IS USM
A two-in-one prime with exceptional image quality
A two-in-one prime with exceptional image quality
My all-time favorite portrait lens is Canon's EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM. Canon's latest iteration of this ultra-popular prime is the RF100mm f/2.8 L MACRO IS USM. Pair it with your Canon EOS R Series mirrorless camera for gorgeous portraits from a distance, plus detailed macro shots of up-close subjects.
- lens type: RF mount medium telephoto macro
- compatible with Canon EOS R series mirrorless cameras
- ideal for portrait, event, sports, and macro photography
- up to 1.4x magnification for capturing detailed shots of up-close subjects
- built-in Hybrid IS image stabilization for sharper images at slower shutter speeds compared to non-stabilized lenses
- dual independent Nano USM (Ultrasonic Motor Technology) focus motors for fast, silent autofocus
Adjustment and control:
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed, aperture, and more
- Spherical Aberration (SA) control ring lets you adjust the look of out-of-focus elements on the fly
Design and construction:
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- Super Spectra coating reduces lens flare and ghosting
- maximum aperture: f/2.8
- minimum focus distance: .86 feet
- lens construction: 17 elements in 13 groups
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- includes lens hood, lens pouch, and front and rear lens caps
Dimensions and warranty:
What's in the box:
- RF 100mm F2.8 L Macro IS USM lens
- Lens cap E-67 II (installed)
- Lens dust cap RF (installed)
- ET-73C Lens hood
- LP1319 Soft lens case
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Warranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L MACRO IS USM
Overview: The Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM is a medium telephoto lens made for Canon's EOS R Series cameras. This lens has a maximum magnification of 1.4x with autofocus, and features an Optical and a Hybrid Image Stabilizer for correcting camera shake. It comes with front and rear lens caps, a lens hood, and a soft lens case.
Canon L-Series: Canon's L-series professional lenses are a step above their regular lenses, with better optics, build quality, and autofocus control. L-series lenses feature a red ring around the end of the lens barrel. The lenses are built to withstand the elements, and are, in many cases, weather sealed to keep out dust, rain, and sand.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 17 lens elements in 13 groups. The lens has fluorine coatings on the front and rear lens surfaces to prevent fingerprints, oils, and water from sticking to the lens. RF-series lenses have a large 54mm lens mount, with large diameter elements to give you brilliant images with minimal light fallout.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Image Stabilization, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Focus Mode / Focusing Distance Switches: The lens has a 2-way Focus Mode switch that lets you choose between Auto Focus (AF) and Manual Focus (MF). In MF mode, the focus is set by turning the focus ring. You can also set the focusing distance range via a 3-way switch. You choose between full focusing range (10.2" to infinity), 1.64' (0.5m) to infinity, or 0.86' (0.25m) to 1.64' (0.5m). Setting the focusing distance range to a suitable setting can save time while autofocusing.
Control Ring: The RF 100mm lens features a control ring that can be assigned commonly used functions, such as shutter speed and ISO speed settings. It has a click action to give you a sense of how much it's being turned. In some cases, the sound of the control ring clicks may be picked up when recording movies. To remove the clicking sound, you will need to send the lens to the Canon Service Center for service. There is a charge for this service.
SA Control Ring: The lens has a Spherical Aberration (SA) Control Ring that lets you adjust the style of the background blur, or bokeh. The ring can be turned in the + or the - direction, depending on the effect you want. Turning the ring in the + direction softens the bokeh outlines in front of the focus point and strengthens the bokeh outlines behind the focus point. In the - direction, you can soften the bokeh outlines behind the focus point and strengthen the outlines in front of the focus point. There is a lock switch on the lens barrel to prevent unintended adjustments.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The RF 100mm lens features Optical Image Stabilization (IS) when mounted to a Canon EOS R series camera. The lens and camera share shooting data to reduce the effect of camera shake that can occur when you're shooting without a tripod. The Optical Image Stabilizer can be used for still images and videos, and give you up to 5 stops of stabilization. The Hybrid Image Stabilizer (Hybrid IS) is effective in reducing the effect of camera shake during macro photography by compensating for both angle and shift camera shake. When this lens is mounted to camera bodies with the In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS), the Optical Image Stabilizer coordinates with the IBIS to provide up to an incredible 8 stops of shake correction. Image Stabilization can be turned on or off with the On/Off switch on the lens barrel.
Dual USM: The RF 100mm lens is equipped with dual independent Nano USMs (Ultra-Sonic Motors) for high-speed focusing with phenominal accuracy. Dual Nano USMs help you to keep up with fast-moving subjects. They operate smoothly, and in near silence, when you're shooting movies so the motor noise isn't picked up by the camera's microphone.
Macro Photography: The RF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM lets you focus from infinity to a magnification of 1.4x for excellent closeup (Macro) shooting. The minimum focusing distance is 0.86 feet (10.32").
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the ET-73C bayonet-type lens hood. The hood cuts out unwanted light and protects the front of the lens from rain, snow, and dust. When not in use, you can reverse-mount the lens hood for storage.
Optional Filters: The RF 100mm lens has a 67mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Focal Length: 100mm
- Lens Mount: RF-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Aperture Type: 9-blade circular
- Maximum Magnification: 1.4x
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 24°
- Horizontal: 20°
- Vertical: 14°
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 13 groups
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 10.32" (0.86')
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.212", Length 6.157"
- Weight: 25.7 ounces