Canon RF 35mm F1.8 Macro IS STM
Standard macro prime lens for Canon EOS R mirrorless cameras
Item # 280RF35MM | MFR # 2973C002
$499.00 Earn up to 499 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Canon RF 35mm F1.8 Macro IS STM by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Capture exquisite details with the Canon EOS R
Canon's RF 35mm f/1.8 lens lets you get within seven inches of the tiniest subjects for sharp, detailed close-ups with dreamy backgrounds. Its compact size and moderately wide focal length make it perfect for everyday photography too. Built-in image stabilization compensates for camera shake, which can cause more pronounced blurring in macro and close-up shots. It also comes in handy when you're shooting stills or video in low light without a tripod.
- lens type: RF mount full frame
- compatible with Canon EOS R mirrorless cameras
- stepping motor (STM) enables smooth, quiet autofocusing
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed, aperture, and more
- control ring produces audible clicks for feedback when looking through viewfinder; clicking mechanism can be removed by a Canon service provider for a fee
- built-in image stabilization for sharper images at slower shutter speeds
- maximum magnification: 0.5X
- minimum focus distance: 0.56'
- lens construction: 11 elements in 9 groups
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- filter diameter: 52mm
- lens is 2-1/2" long, 2-5/16" in diameter
- weight: 10.8 oz.
- includes front and rear lens caps
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM lens
- Lens cap E-52II (installed)
- Lens dust cap RF (installed)
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Warranty card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Canon RF 35mm f/1.4 Macro IS STM lens is compatible with the new EOS R series cameras. This wide-angle macro lens has a bright f/1.4 aperture and can focus as close as 0.56 feet (6.72"). It is ideal for capturing vast landscapes, street photography, and extreme closeups, especially flowers, insects, and other natural subjects.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 11 lens elements in 9 groups. The first nine elements, which make up the focusing optics, move in tandem as focusing is performed. A GMo (glass-molded) aspheric element in the focusing group reduces aberrations.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Control Ring: The RF-series lenses feature a control ring on the lens barrel, which can be assigned to functions that are commonly used on the camera. These functions include shutter speed and aperture settings, or exposure compensation. The ring has a clicking mechanism (with 54 clicks per revolution) that acts as a confirmation that the settings are being changed.
Note: The clicking sound could possibly be picked up by the microphone while shooting movies. If you desire a silent control ring, the clicking mechanism can be removed by a Canon service provider (for a fee).
Stepping Motor (STM): The RF 35mm lens is equipped with a gear-type Stepping Motor (STM) focus drive system. A Stepping Motor provides a smooth focus performance, especially for video shooting.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The built-in Image Stabilizer can be used in the AF (autofocus) or MF (manual focus) modes. The Image Stabilizer gives the equivalent effect of a shutter speed 5 stops faster. The 2-position switch located on the barrel of the lens allows you to turn the image stabilizer on and off.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether the lens is set to manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually fine-tune the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Optional Filters: The RF 35mm lens has a 52mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
Optional Macro Flash: The lens is compatible with the optional Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite and the MT-26EX-RT Macro Twin Lite. These macro flash units enable fully automatic macro flash photography up to 1x magnification in E-TTL autoflash mode.
- Focal Length: 35mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.8
- Aperture Design: 9-blade circular
- Lens Construction: 11 elements in 9 groups
- Filter Diameter: 52mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 0.56 feet (6.72 inches)
- Diagonal Angle of View: 63°00'
- Dimensions: 2.928" Diameter, 2.916" Length (3.39" with caps)
- Weight: 10.8 ounces (0.68 pounds)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.