About the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM
A lightweight prime with loads of creative potential
A 50mm prime lens, or "nifty fifty," is often a staple in a photographer's camera bag. And if you're a Canon EOS R shooter, you now have an affordable option for your mirrorless camera — the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM.
This versatile lens is one of the best values available in the RF Series. Its wide f/1.8 maximum aperture lets in lots of light — perfect for taking photos indoors, or for capturing portraits with beautifully blurred backgrounds.
The RF 50mm f/1.8 STM is also a great choice for videographers on the go, thanks to its compact, lightweight design.
- lens type: RF mount full-frame
- compatible with Canon EOS R mirrorless cameras
- ideal for portraiture, events, landscapes, indoor photography, and more
- compact, lightweight design
- stepping motor (STM) for smooth and quiet autofocus with still image and video recording
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed and aperture
- Super Spectra coating reduces lens flare and ghosting
- maximum aperture: f/1.8
- minimum focus distance: .98 feet
- lens construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
- 7-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- filter diameter: 43mm
- diameter: 2-3/4"
- length: 1-5/8"
- weight: 5.6 oz.
- includes front and rear lens caps
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 4515C002
What's in the box:
- RF50mm F1.8 STM lens
- Lens Cap E-43 (installed)
- Lens dust cap RF (installed)
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Warranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Overview: The Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens is compatible with the EOS R series mirrorless cameras. This standard and medium telephoto lens is compact and lightweight, and has a bright f/1.8 aperture that performs well in low-light situations. The 50mm focal length is similar to what the human eye sees, and is ideal for capturing portraits, landscapes, and other general, everyday subjects.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 6 lens elements in 5 groups. A PMo (precision-molded) aspherical element in the focusing group reduces aberrations, while the Super Spectra coating reduces flare and ghosting.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Focusing/Control Ring: The RF-series lenses feature a ring on the lens that can be used as either a focusing ring or a control ring. A 2-way switch on the lens barrel lets you choose the ring function:
- Control: As a control ring, it can assign the functions that are commonly used with cameras, such as shutter speed, aperture settings, exposure compensation, etc. The camera's manual can provide instructions on the control ring's function.
- Focusing: As a focusing ring, you can manually focus on your subject by rotating the focus ring. There is no focus mode switch, so you will need to set the focus mode (Auto or Manual) in the camera's menu.
Stepping Motor (STM): The RF 50mm lens is equipped with a gear-type Stepping Motor (STM) focus drive system. A Stepping Motor provides a smooth and quiet focus performance, especially for video shooting.
Shake Correction: Although the lens does not have Optical Image Stabilization, when used on a camera body with In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS), you can enjoy up to 7 stops of shake correction. IBIS features precise 5-axis image stabilization to provide sharp handheld photos and steady videos without having to increase the ISO speed or using a tripod.
Circular 7-blade Aperture: The lens features a circular 7-blade aperture that presents a pleasant out-of-focus background blur (bokeh) to help your subject stand out in your photos.
Optional Filters: The RF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens has a 43mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
Optional Lens Hood and Case: Canon offers the optional ES-65B lens hood which is designed to block sunlight or other light sources to prevent glare and lens flare, and to protect the lens from scratches and the weather. Also available from Canon is the LP1014 lens pouch to protect the lens when it's not in use.
- Focal Length: 50mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.8
- Aperture Design: 7-blade circular
- Lens Construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
- Filter Diameter: 43mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 0.98 feet (11.76 inches)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.25x
- Angle of View:
- Horizontal: 40°
- Vertical: 27°
- Diagonal: 46°
- Dimensions: 2.75" Diameter, 1.85" Length
- Weight: 5.64 ounces