About the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
A nifty fifty for your Canon EOS R series mirrorless camera
Canon's RF 50mm f/1.2 lens lets you capture high-quality images and video with your EOS R series mirrorless camera. With its 50mm focal length and generous f/1.2 maximum aperture, this lens is extra versatile. Perfect for close-ups and portraits indoors or out, street scenes and landscapes by day or night, it's an all-around great lens that excels in any lighting.
- lens type: RF mount full frame
- compatible with Canon EOS R series mirrorless cameras
- Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating on front and rear lens elements repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- Air Sphere Coating (ASC) minimizes ghosting and flare
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed, aperture, and more
- control ring produces audible clicks for feedback when looking through viewfinder; clicking mechanism can be removed by a Canon service provider for a fee
- minimum focus distance: 1.31'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 15 elements in 9 groups
- 3 aspherical elements and 1 UD (ultra-low dispersion) element for sharp, dynamic images with excellent detail and contrast
- 10-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- filter diameter: 77mm
- lens is 4-1/4" long, 3-9/16" in diameter
- weight: 2.09 lbs.
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 2959C002
What's in the box:
- RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens
- Lens cap E-77II (installed)
- Lens dust cap RF (installed)
- Lens hood ES-83
- Lens case LP1319
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Warranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
Overview: The Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens is compatible with the new EOS R series cameras. This standard to medium telephoto lens has an extremely bright f/1.2 aperture and can focus as close as 15.72". It is ideal for capturing portraits, still life, weddings, and many low-light situations.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 15 lens elements in 9 groups. The lens has three aspheric lens elements for high image quality from center to corner, and one UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) lens for reducing aberrations for minimized distortion throughout the image plane.
Lens Coatings: The front and rear lens surfaces are coated with non-stick fluorine to help reduce smears and fingerprints. This helps prevents dust, water, oil, and other surface residue from sticking to the lens, and allows you to quickly and easily wipe the lens clean without the use of solvents. In addition, Air Sphere Coating (ASC) on the lens elements help to combat flare, ghosting, and reflections with reduced aberrations.
Dust- and Water-Resistant: The RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM features dust- and water-resistant construction to provide reliable performance in inclement weather. The lens mount, switch panel, and all rings feature special materials to keep dust and moisture out.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Control Ring: The RF-series lenses feature a control ring on the lens barrel, which can be assigned to functions that are commonly used on the camera. These functions include shutter speed and aperture settings, or exposure compensation. The ring has a clicking mechanism that acts as a confirmation that the settings are being changed.
Note: The clicking sound could possibly be picked up by the microphone while shooting movies. If you desire a silent control ring, the clicking mechanism can be removed by a Canon service provider (for a fee).
Nano USM: The RF 50mm lens is equipped with Canon's Nano USM (Ultra-Sonic Motor). The Nano USM combines a conventional ring USM and STM (lead-screw type) AF, and features a small chip-shaped ultrasonic motor to give you high-speed, smooth, and precise autofocus and full-time manual focus. The Nano USM operates in near silence, making it ideal for video recording.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether the lens is set to manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually fine-tune the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Optional Filters: The RF 50mm lens has a 77mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
Lens Hood: The lens includes the ES-83 lens hood to keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protects the lens from rain, snow, and dust. You can reverse-mount the lens hood on the lens for storage.
Lens Case: The LP1319 lens case is included for storing the lens when not in use. The case has a drawstring closure at the top.
- Focal Length: 50mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.2
- Aperture Design: 10-blade circular
- Lens Construction: 15 elements in 9 groups
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.31 feet (15.72 inches)
- Diagonal Angle of View: 46°00'
- Dimensions: 3.54" Diameter, 4.499" Length (5.236" with caps)
- Weight: 33.44 ounces (2.09 pounds)