About the Canon RF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
Capture unique perspectives near and far
Capture unique perspectives near and far
If I could own only one zoom lens, it would be an image-stabilized 70-200mm. I use mine for all sorts of things, including nature photography, collegiate sports, wedding photography, and portraits. The Canon RF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM excels with each of these, yielding bright, colorful images with superb detail.
Pair this image-stabilized lens with an EOS R camera body for a relatively compact rig you can take virtually anywhere.
High on performance, low on bulk
Canon designed the RF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM to be smaller and lighter than its world-renowned EF counterparts. That means this lens will take up less room in your bag than other image-stabilized models with the same focal length.
This is Canon's shortest and lightest 70-200mm f/4 lens to date, and I expect it to have broad appeal for enthusiasts and pros alike.
- ideal for sports, wedding, event, wildlife, and portrait photography
- lens type: RF mount full frame
- compatible with Canon EOS R mirrorless cameras
- "zoomable" lens barrel extends outward at longer focal lengths
- optical image stabilization with up to 5 stops of shake correction
- three selectable image stabilization modes (single-shot, panning-optimized, and exposure-activated) with barrel-mounted switch
- dual independent Nano USM (Ultrasonic Motor Technology) focus motors for fast, silent autofocus
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- Air-Sphere Coating minimizes ghosting and flare
- customizable control ring on lens barrel allows direct adjustments to settings like shutter speed and aperture
- constant f/4 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range
- minimum focus distance: 1.97'
- lens construction: 16 elements in 11 groups for outstanding contrast and clarity
- 9-blade circular aperture for rendering beautiful of out-of-focus background elements
- filter diameter: 77mm
- lens is 4-3/4" long at 70mm, and 3-3/8" in diameter
- weight: 1.5 lbs.
- includes LP1319 lens pouch
- includes ET-83G lens hood
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 4318C002
What's in the box:
- RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM zoom lens
- Lens cap E-77II (77mm)(installed)
- Lens dust cap RF (installed)
- Lens Hood ET-83G (WIII)
- Lens Pouch LP1319
- Canon Interchangeable Lens Instructions
- Warranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon RF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM
Overview: The Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is a telephoto zoom lens made for Canon's EOS R Series cameras. It is Canon's shortest and lightest 70-200mm zoom lens, measuring just under 5" long and 1.5 pounds, compared to 8" and 3-1/4 pounds for the EF 70-200 f/2.8 lens. The RF 70-200mm lens has a constant maximum aperture at f/4 for impressive picture quality. Its optical Image Stabilization works with EOS R series cameras to provide high levels of shake correction.
Canon L-Series: Canon's L-series professional lenses are a step above their regular lenses, with better optics, build quality, and autofocus control. L-series lenses feature a red ring around the end of the lens barrel. Telephoto L-series lenses, including the RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, are white. The lenses are built to withstand the elements, and are, in many cases, weather sealed to keep out dust, rain, and sand.
Lens Construction: The lens is constructed of 16 lens elements in 11 groups, including 4 UD (ultra-low dispersion) elements and Canon's Air Sphere Coating (ASC). The low-refractive UD elements significantly correct chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range. ASC helps to minimize lens flare and ghosting, which gives you clean images without aberrations. The lens has fluorine coatings on the front and rear lens surfaces to prevent fingerprints, oils, and water from sticking to the lens. RF-series lenses have a large 54mm lens mount, with large diameter elements to give you brilliant images with minimal light fallout.
12-pin Communication: The Canon RF-series lenses feature a 12-pin communication system between the camera and the lens (compared to 8 pins for the EF-series). This 12-pin system is the fastest available for a Canon lens and camera combination, and provides faster AF, Image Stabilization, Digital Lens Optimizer, and more. In addition, the EOS R camera can display lens information directly to the viewfinder, making it easy to confirm the lens' focal length without looking away from your subject.
Focus Mode / Focusing Distance Switches: The lens has a 2-way Focus Mode switch that lets you choose between Auto Focus (AF) and Manual Focus (MF). In MF mode, the focus is set by turning the focus ring. You can also set the focusing distance range via a 2-way switch. You choose from full focusing range (6m to infinity) if your subject is relatively close, or a reduced focusing range (20m to infinity) for subjects that are some distance away. Setting the focusing distance range to a suitable setting can save time while autofocusing.
Control Ring: The RF 70-200mm lens features a control ring that can be assigned commonly used functions, such as shutter speed and ISO speed settings. It has a click action to give you a sense of how much it's being turned. In some cases, the sound of the control ring clicks may be picked up when recording movies. To remove the clicking sound, you will need to send the lens to the Canon Service Center for service. There is a charge for this service.
Image Stabilizer (IS): The RF 70-200mm lens features Optical Image Stabilization (IS) when mounted to a Canon EOS R series camera. The effect of Image Stabilization is equivalent to up to 5 stops. When mounted to camera bodies with the In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS), the Optical Image Stabilizer coordinates with the IBIS to provide up to an incredible 7.5 stops of shake correction. The camera and the lens share data to dramatically reduce blur caused by camera shake while shooting still images and videos. Image Stabilization can be turned on or off with the On/Off switch on the lens barrel.
Dual USM: The RF 70-200mm lens is equipped with dual independent Nano USMs (Ultra-Sonic Motors) for high-speed focusing with phenominal accuracy. Dual Nano USMs help you to keep up with fast-moving subjects. They operate smoothly, and in near silence, when you're shooting movies so the motor noise isn't picked up by the camera's microphone.
Lens Controls: The lens is equipped with the following controls on the barrel:
- Focus Range Switch: The switch lets you select the full focus range (1.97' to infinity) or a reduced range (2.5m to infinity). The reduced range helps reduce focusing time if your subject is beyond 8.2 feet.
- Focus Mode Switch: You can switch between Auto Focus (AF) and Manual Focus (MF).
- Stabilizer Switch: You can turn the Optical Image Stabilizer on or off, as needed.
- Stabilizer Mode: When the Optical Image Stabilizer is on, you can choose between three modes of stabilization.
- Mode 1: Corrects vibrations in all directions -- suitable for still subjects.
- Mode 2: Corrects camera shake during panning or tilting. Vibrations are corrected at right angles to the panning/tilting direction.
- Mode 3: Corrects vibrations during exposure in the same way as Mode 2. It is suited for irregularly moving subjects, such as sports or animals.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the ET-83G (WIII) bayonet-type lens hood. The hood cuts out unwanted light and protects the front of the lens from rain, snow, and dust. When not in use, you can reverse-mount the lens hood for storage.
Optional Filters: The RF 70-200mm lens has a 77mm mounting thread on the front of lens for attaching screw-on type filters.
- Focal Length: 70-200mm
- Lens Mount: RF-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/4
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Aperture Type: 9-blade circular
- Maximum Magnification: 0.28x (at 200mm)
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 34° - 12°
- Horizontal: 29° - 10°
- Vertical: 19°30' - 7°
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 11 groups (including 4 UD elements)
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.97' (23.64") throughout zoom range
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.29", Length 4.69"
- Weight: 24 ounces