- 24.1-megapixel effective recording
- APS-C-size CMOS image sensor (22.3 x 14.9 mm)
- 3" high-resolution (1.4 million dots) rotating LCD touchscreen
- DIGIC 8 image processor for exceptional image quality and high-speed shooting
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for easy file sharing and remote control from compatible smart devices
- Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus system for high speed, high frame rate and continuous autofocus during video shooting
- 9-point autofocus system for rapid, precise autofocusing
- 63-zone metering system for accurate exposure
- compatible with Canon EF and EF-S lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting up to 5 frames per second
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600 (expandable to 51,200)
- exposure modes: auto, creative auto, program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: RAW, JPEG, or RAW+JPEG (Fine/Large)
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 6,000 x 4,000
- MOV movie files (H.264) up to 4K resolution
- accepts SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface (cable not included)
- mini HDMI output (type C connector, cable not included)
- 3.5mm microphone input jack
- includes rechargeable LP-E17 lithium ion battery, charger, and neck strap
- 4-7/8"W x 3-11/169"H x 2-3/4"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 15.84 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3453C001
What's in the box:
- Camera body (black)
- Body cap (installed)
- LP-E17 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with plastic terminal cap (7.2V 1040mAh 7.5Wh)
- LC-E17 battery charger (DC output: 8.4V 0.7A)
- EW-400D-N Shoulder strap
- Getting Started booklet
- Warranty sheet
- Register Now sheet
Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (no lens included) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (no lens included)
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||None included|
|Image Stabilization||With IS lens|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||15.84|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon EOS Rebel SL3 is one of the world's smallest and lightest digital SLR camera. The SL3 has a standard Canon EF mount, and is compatible with Canon EF lenses, including EF-S lenses. No lenses are included in this "body only" kit.
Viewfinder: The Canon EOS Rebel SL3 uses an eye-level SLR viewfinder with pentamirror with 0.87x magnification (w/50mm lens) for approximately 95% vertical and horizontal coverage. It has a -3.0 to +1.0 diopter adjustment so you can focus the viewfinder to suit your eyesight (with or without eyeglasses).
3" Vari-angle Touch Screen LCD: The EOS Rebel SL3 features a flip-out, Vari-angle 3" touch-panel LCD that allows you to shoot at a variety of angles. It has a 3:2 aspect ratio and approximately 1,040,000 dots for Live View composition and viewing recorded images. Touch gestures can be used for zooming or swiping through images, and for menu settings. The LCD monitor offers 100% viewing coverage and 7 brightness levels to choose from. The monitor can be swiveled out and rotated for capturing high-quality self portraits.
Live View: The Live View Function enables viewing your subjects directly on the camera's 3" LCD monitor. The camera allows you to magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focusing. You can choose one of two grid overlay options (3x3 or 6x4) for the LCD screen to help you line up vertical and horizontal lines. The camera can be controlled remotely via a computer through a USB connection, or wirelessly with the optional BR-E1 remote control.
24.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor: Canon's large-area CMOS sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, and offers approximately 25.8 million total pixels and 24.1 million effective pixels. This APS-C-sized sensor (22.3mm x 14.9mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective angle of view that is 1.6x the normal EF Lens focal length.
DIGIC 8 Image Processor: The Rebel SL3 is equipped with Canon's DIGIC 8 Image Processor. The DIGIC 8 works with the CMOS sensor to deliver images with great detail. Improved light sensitivity allows you to shoot at higher resolution with less noise in dark conditions. The camera can achieve higher ISO sensitivity (up to ISO 25600), and can shoot continuously at up to 5 frames per second.
Image Recording: The camera records still images in JPEG, C-RAW, and RAW formats. You can choose from the following image sizes: Large, Medium, Small 1, and Small 2. For each resolution (except Small 2), you can set the compression to Fine or Normal. For RAW and C-RAW images, you can record only at 6000 x 4000. You can set the camera to RAW + JPEG and record a RAW image and a Large Fine JPEG image simultaneously.
Aspect Ratio: The camera's image sensor has an aspect ratio of 3:2. You can choose to record still images in 3:2, 4:3, 16:9, and 1:1 aspect ratios. This gives you the option of selecting any of the following image sizes:
|Quality||Aspect Ratio and Pixel Count|
|Large||6000 x 4000 |
|5328 x 4000 |
|6000 x 3368 |
|4000 x 4000 |
|Medium||3984 x 2656 |
|3552 x 2664 |
|3984 x 2240 |
|2656 x 2656 |
|Small 1||2976 x 1984 |
|2656 x 1992 |
|2976 x 1680 |
|1984 x 1984 |
|Small 2||2400 x 1600 |
|2112 x 1600 |
|2400 x 1344 |
|1600 x 1600 |
RAW File Format: The RAW file format records the image data as captured by the camera's CMOS sensor without further processing and converts it to digital data and records it onto the card as is. RAW images can be adjusted, then developed and produced into JPEG or TIFF images using the downloadable Digital Photo Professional software.
Recording Media: The EOS Rebel SL3 records images on an SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards, including UHS-I (Ultra High Speed) memory cards. No recording media is supplied with the camera.
Self Cleaning System: Dust that settles on the sensor surface of the camera is removed using ultrasonic vibration. This Self Cleaning Sensor Unit routine is automatically activated whenever the camera is powered on or off. (It can also be manually activated.) A special collar positioned around the sensor collects the loosened dust. In case visible dust still remains, you can delete the effect of the dust particles from the image via the downloadable Digital Photo Professional software.
Shooting Modes: The EOS Rebel SL3 offers seven different shooting modes arranged on the Mode Dial in the following zones:
- Program AE: This is a general-purpose shooting mode, the camera automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to suit the scene's brightness.
- Shutter-priority AE: In this mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically sets the aperture value to suit the brightness of the subject.
- Aperture-priority AE: In this mode, you set the desired aperture value and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically to suit the subject brightness.
- Manual Exposure: You set both the shutter speed and aperture value as desired.
- Basic Zone:
- Scene Intelligent Auto: The camera analyses the scene, and automatically selects the settings.
- Special Scene: Once you select the Special Scene Mode, you can choose from the following modes: Portrait, Smooth Skin, Group Photo, Landscape, Sports, Kids, Close-up, Food, Candlelight, Night Portrait, Handheld Night Scene, and HDR Backlight Control
- Creative Filters: Once you choose the Creative Filters mode, you can select one of the following: Grainy B/W, Soft Focus, Fish-eye Effect, Water Painting Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Miniature Effect, HDR Art Standard, HDR Art Vivid, HDR Art Bold, and HDR Art Embossed
Shooting Movies: The EOS Rebel SL3 can record movies in 4K, Full HD, or High Definition at various frame rates. Movies are recorded in MOV format with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression, and AAC audio. Movies can be recorded in IPB Standard compression or IPB Light for smaller file sizes. You can record audio using the built-in microphone (monaural), or with an optional stereo microphone with a 3.5mm plug. When shooting 4K movies, a large-capacity SD card with a UHS Speed Class 3 or higher is required. For Full HD or HD, cards with SD Speed Class 4, 6, or 10 are recommended. You can select from the following recording sizes and frame rates:
- 3840 x 2160: 4K recording quality with a frame rate of 24 (23.98) fps and IPB Standard compression.
- 1920 x 1080: Full HD recording quality with a frame rate of 60 (59.94) or 30 (29.97) fps and IPB Standard or IPB Light compression.
- 1280 x 720: HD recording quality with a frame rate of 60 (59.94) fps and IPB Standard compression.
- HDR Movie (1920 x 1080): 30 fps with IPB Standard compression
- 4K Time-lapse Movie (3840 x 2160): 30 fps with ALL-I compression
- Full HD Time-lapse Movie (1920 x 1080): 30 fps with ALL-I compression
Time-lapse Movies: The Rebel SL3 can shoot still photos at a set interval and stitch them together automatically to create a 4K (3840 x 2160) or Full HD (1920 x 1080) time-lapse movie.
Movie Servo AF: When Movie Servo AF is enabled, you can shoot a movie while focusing a moving subject continuously.
Video Snapshots: A video snapshot is a short movie clip lasting 2, 4, or 8 seconds. You can combine a series of video snapshots into an album, and save them as a single movie file. You can also choose a playback effect of 1/2x speed, 1x speed, or 2x speed. The compiled video is perfect for sharing online or displaying on an HDTV via the HDMI port.
9-Point Auto-Focus System: The EOS Rebel SL3 features a high-precision 9-point wide area auto-focus, enabling the camera to focus faster. The focusing system lets you capture the action, even if the subject is moving. The center AF point is AF cross-type supporting f/5.6, and is also vertical line-sensitive supporting f/2.8. The other AF points is vertical line-sensitive or horizontal line-sensitive AF supporting f/5.6.
AF Modes: The camera employs one of 3 AF systems to let you seize every photo opportunity with fast, accurate focus:
- One-Shot AF: suited for still subjects, the camera focuses only once.
- AI Servo AF: for moving subjects when the focusing distance keeps changing. The subject will be focused continuously while the shutter button is pressed halfway.
- AI Focus AF: switches from One-Shot AF to AI Servo AF automatically if the subject starts moving.
Manual Focusing: If you choose to focus manually, you will need to set the focus mode switch on the lens from AF to MF, and turn the lens focusing ring until the subject looks sharp in the viewfinder. You can magnify the image 5x or 10x for better visibility when focusing.
ISO Speed: The Image Sensor's sensitivity to light, or the ISO Speed, can be set to suit the ambient light level. In Basic Zone modes, the ISO speed is set automatically from 100 to 12800 (100-6400 for 4K movies). In other modes, you can set the ISO automatically or manually from 100 to 25600, with expansion to 51200.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings:
- Auto: The camera sets the white balance automatically according to shooting conditions. There are two modes: Ambience Priority and White Priority.
- Daylight: for recording outdoors on a bright day
- Shade: counters strong blue tones in open shade on sunny days
- Cloudy: for cloudy days, dusk and dawn
- Tungsten Light: for incandescent illumination
- White Fluorescent Light: eliminates typical green color casts
- Custom: enables you to manually set the white balance for a specific light source for better accuracy. By selecting this image, you import the white balance data for the setting
- Other WB Settings:
- Color Temperature: manually set color temperature
- White Balance Correction: You can correct the standard color temperature for the white balance setting. It has the same effect as using a color temperature conversion filter or a color compensating filter.
Color Space: The color space refers to the range of reproducible colors. With this camera, you can set the color space for captured images to sRGB or Adobe RGB. For normal images, sRGB is recommended. In the Basic Zone modes, sRGB will be set automatically.
Picture Style: By selecting a picture style you can achieve various effects matching your photographic expression or the subject. Picture Style selections include: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, or User Defined (1-3).
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-5 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop increments.
Auto Exposure Bracketing: With auto exposure bracketing (AEB), the camera automatically changes the exposure level up to +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments for three successive shots. When in Single Shooting mode, the camera will change the exposure level on three single shots (requiring three presses of the shutter release). In Continuous Shooting mode, or when shooting with the self-timer or optional remote controller, you can take three shots with one press of the shutter release, and the exposure levels will change with each shot taken.
AE Lock: AE lock enables you to lock the exposure at a different place from the point of focus. After locking the exposure, you can recompose the shot while maintaining the desired exposure level. This feature is useful for backlit and spotlighted subjects.
Bulb Exposures: When bulb is set, the shutter is open during the time you keep pressing the shutter button fully. Bulb is useful when a long exposure is necessary for capturing night scenes, fireworks, the night sky, etc. The optional RS-60E3 remote switch is also recommended for bulb exposures. It connects to the camera's 2.5mm sub-mini remote jack.
Flash: The camera's built-in retractable, auto pop-up flash with E-TTL II autoflash metering. The flash takes approximately 3 seconds to recharge for the next flash. The viewfinder has an icon to let you know the flash is ready. You can set the flash exposure compensation to +/- 2 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop increments. The flash range varies with the ISO speed. Under low-light conditions, the built-in flash fires a brief burst of flashes when you press the shutter button halfway. This AF-assist function helps illuminate the subject to enable easier auto-focusing.
External Flash: In addition to the built-in flash, the EOS Rebel SL3 has a hot shoe for adding optional external flash units. The camera is compatible with Canon's entire line of EX-series Speedlites, plus Macro Lites for close-ups. Canon EX-series Speedlites offer professional-quality illumination for virtually any subject. The built-in flash can work as a Master unit with Canon Speedlites with the wireless slave feature and trigger the Speedlite(s) to fire.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Metering: The camera's standard metering mode utilizes all 63 zones within the frame, and is suited for most subjects even under backlit conditions. After detecting the main subject's position, brightness, background, front and back lighting conditions, etc, the camera sets the proper exposure.
- Partial Metering: Effective when the background is much brighter than the subject due to backlighting, etc; uses approximately 9% of the frame at the center.
- Spot Metering: For metering a specific part of the subject; uses approximately 4% of the frame at the center.
- Center-weighted Average Metering: Metering is weighted at the center and then averaged for the entire scene.
Continuous Shooting Mode: In Continuous Shooting mode, you can shoot up to about 5 frames per second. The maximum number of shots in a single burst will vary with the image quality setting:
|Image Quality||Compression||File Size (MB)||Possible Shots |
|RAW + JPEG||35.6||855||9|
Self-Timer: The camera will record an image following a preset time delay after pressing the shutter release. The self-timer lamp and beeper will indicate a countdown before the picture is taken. You can choose from the following self-timer modes:
- 10 Second: The camera takes a single image 10 seconds after pressing the shutter release button. You can also use the optional remote control in this mode.
- 2 Second: The camera takes a single image 2 seconds after pressing the shutter release.
- 10 Second Continuous Shots: The camera begins taking a series of images (two to ten) 10 seconds after the shutter release button is pressed.
Mirror Lockup: The Mirror Lockup feature helps prevent camera vibration when using a super telephoto lens or shooting close-ups.
Auto Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. You can choose whether the image is automatically rotated during playback on both the camera and a computer screen, or only on the computer screen. You can also turn off Auto Rotation.
Image Review: The image can be displayed on the LCD monitor immediately after you shoot. The review time can be set to off (not displayed), 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds, or Hold, which keeps the image displayed on the LCD monitor until the camera is focused again.
Slide Show: You can view all images on the memory card one after another with the Auto Playback function (slide show). You can set the time each image is displayed on the LCD monitor to 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, or 20 seconds. The transition between slides can be selected from 2 Slide-in and 3 Fade effects. You can also enable the slide show to repeat indefinitely, and to play background music, if desired.
Index Display: This feature allows you to view four (2 x 2), nine (3 x 3), 36 (6 x 6) or 100 (10 x 10) images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly.
Image Magnification: When viewing a still picture in single image playback mode, you can magnify the image from 1.5x to 10x. While the image is magnified, you can scroll anywhere around the image.
Rotating Images: You can rotate an image by 90° or 270° clockwise in the LCD monitor.
Resize Images: To create images that you can share by email or online, you can resize JPEG images in the camera, and save them as new files. The aspect ratio cannot be changed, but you can resize the image to a smaller size. Small 2 and RAW images cannot be resized.
Cropping: Images can be cropped in the camera and saved as a new file. You can zoom in on subjects anywhere in the frame, switch the orientation or even change the aspect ratio. RAW images cannot be cropped.
PictBridge Printing: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer via Wi-Fi or USB. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
DPOF Print Settings: On the memory card, you can select which image or images you want to print and how many copies you want. This is convenient for printing images all at once, on optional Canon direct print function compliant printers, on PictBridge compliant printers, or at participating photo labs.
EOS Webcam: Using Canon's EOS Webcam Utility software, you can use the camera as a webcam and livestream from a remote setup. You will need to connect the camera to your computer, using a USB cable (not included). While you are streaming, you can also record the video internally on the memory card. The software works with many of your favorite streaming apps, including YouTube Live, Zoom, Skype, Facebook Live, Microsoft Teams, Apple FaceTime, and Messenger. EOS Webcam Utility is compatible with Windows 10 (32- or 64-bit) and macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, and macOS High Sierra.
Wireless Functions: The EOS Rebel SL3 offers Bluetooth and Wi-Fi wireless communications:
- Bluetooth: You can connect the camera to your smartphone via Bluetooth to facilitate a Wi-Fi connection directly between the smartphone and the camera. You can also use a Bluetooth connection to pair the camera to the optional BR-E1 Wireless Remote Control for remote shooting.
- Wi-Fi: When connected via Wi-Fi, you can perform a
range of tasks wirelessly:
- Connect to a Smartphone: Connecting to a smartphone lets you view images stored in the camera. You can also operate the camera remotely from a smartphone or camera. The Canon Camera Connect app, available from the App Store or Google Play, must be downloaded to the phone. You can also use the GPS data from a Bluetooth-connected smartphone using the app.
- Transfer Images Between Cameras: You can transfer still images and movies shot with this camera to other Canon cameras with built-in Wi-Fi functions. The camera can be connected to only one camera at a time.
- Print Images to a Wi-Fi Printer: You can directly print images by connecting the camera with a wireless LAN-compatible printer supporting PictBridge (Wireless LAN). Up to 3 printers can be registered to the camera.
- Send Images to a Web Service: You can share images with family and friends or share images using a range of Web services via the Canon iMAGE Gateway, a free online photo service for Canon users.
- Connect to a Wireless Remote Control: The optional BR-E1 wireless remote control can be connected by Wi-Fi for control the camera remotely.
App Compatibility: The Canon Camera Connect app, required for connecting the camera to a smartphone, is compatible with iOS version 10.0 or later and Android devices (versions 4.4-8.1).
HDMI: The camera is equipped with a mini-HDMI jack (Type C) which allows you to connect the camera to an HDTV.
Digital Terminal: The Digital Terminal (Mini-B USB 2.0) allows you to connect the camera to your computer via a USB cable (sold separately) for downloading the recorded images and movies, or for connecting to a compatible printer.
Microphone: The camera has a 3.5mm minijack input for connecting an external microphone.
Remote: A 2.5mm sub-minijack is provided for use with the optional RS-60E3 Remote Switch. The wired remote switch has a 2' cord, and is recommended for long exposures and bulb shooting.
Battery: The EOS Rebel SL3 operates on the supplied LP-E17 Lithium-Ion battery (7.2V, 1040 mAh, 7.5Wh). Battery performance decreases when used in temperatures below 32° F. The battery can be charged in the supplied LC-E17 battery charger in approximately 2 hours. Typical battery life for the LP-E17 battery is as follows:
|Still Images||Temperature||Number of Shots|
|Viewfinder||At 73° F||840|
|At 32° F||770|
|Live View||At 73° F||290|
|At 32° F||260|
|Movie Recording||Temperature||Recording Time|
|4K||At 73° F||1 hour 50 mins|
|At 32° F||1 hour 40 mins|
|Full HD||At 73° F||2 hours 30 mins|
|At 32° F||2 hours 20 mins|
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the camera turns off automatically after a period of non-operation. The Auto Power Off time can be set to 30 seconds or 1, 2, 4, 8, or 15 minutes.
Note: The Auto Power Off function will not activate in Auto Playback Mode.
Optional AC Power: With the optional AC-E6N / DR-E18 AC adapter and DC coupler, you can connect the camera to a household power outlet and not worry about the battery becoming exhausted.
Software: The EOS Rebel SL3 does not include any software in the box. The following camera software is available via download from the Canon website:
- Digital Photo Professional 4: Digital Photo Professional 4 allows you to browse, select, and develop RAW images. You can make image adjustments in the Picture Style format.
- EOS Utility: EOS Utility establishes communication between your computer and the camera. When connected, you can download images from the camera's memory card to your computer, plus change camera settings and shoot remotely from your computer.
- Image Transfer Utility: Image Transfer Utility supports cameras with the "Auto send images to computer" function.
- Picture Style Editor: Picture Style Editor lets you edit Picture Styles and create and save original Picture Style files.
Operating Systems: The above software is compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (Service Pack 1)
- Macintosh: macOS Mojave v10.14, macOS High Sierra v10.13, macOS Sierra v10.12, OS X El Capitan v10.11
The Canon EOS Rebel SL3 (no lens included) replaces these items
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for easy file sharing and remote control from compatible smart devices
- Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus system for high speed, high frame rate and continuous autofocus during video shooting
- 3" high-resolution rotating LCD touchscreen