About the Canon PowerShot SX600 HS
Lots of zoom from a little camera
Lots of zoom from a little camera
You don't need to carry around a bulky camera for powerful optical zoom. The Canon PowerShot SX600 HS is small enough to carry in your pocket. But when you take it out and take advantage of its 18X zoom range, you'll be able to capture great close-ups of distant subjects. Sure, a smartphone can deliver a small amount of digital zoom. But it also degrades the quality of your photos, leaving you with grainy images that lack clarity. With the SX600, get outstanding image quality across the zoom range, from wide-angle landscapes to tight close-ups of wildlife.
Wi-Fi makes photo sharing quick and easy
Thanks to the PowerShot SX600's built in Wi-Fi, it's a snap to wirelessly transfer images from the camera to your smartphone or tablet. Canon's free app for Apple® and Android™ even lets you use your smartphone as a remote, so you can set up the camera on a tripod and use the phone as a monitor and shutter release device. Pretty cool, especially when you consider the image quality and dependable low-light performance this camera offers over smartphone cameras.
Get creative without taking a Photoshop® class
Think you need advanced computer software and technical skills to add artistic flair to your photos? Not with Canon's easy Creative Shot mode. It lets you choose from a large selection of filter effects before you even snap a single shot. There are 46 filters divided among four categories: Retro, Monochrome, Special and Natural. Once you make your selection, the camera will automatically create and save five additional variations on your original, unfiltered shot. Then you can pick and choose your favorites for emailing to family members, posting on Facebook, or printing out to frame and keep for yourself.
- 16-megapixel effective recording CMOS sensor
- 18X optical zoom (4X digital zoom, 72X combined zoom)
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- 3" LCD screen (461,000 dots)
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 25-450mm
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless image transfer to smartphones and tablets (requires free Canon CameraWindow app for Apple® and Android™)
- use your smartphone as a Wi-Fi remote control to zoom and snap the shutter
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible Android smartphones
- Creative Shot mode automatically produces five additional variations of your shot by applying any of 46 creative filters
- DIGIC 4+ image processor and CMOS sensor deliver for enhanced detail and low noise, even in dimly lit environments
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- optical image stabilization counteracts shaky hands for blur-free photos and video
- Hybrid Auto mode records short videos prior to snapping still photos and combines them into a single video clip
- Smart AUTO mode adjusts camera settings based on 32 preset shooting situations
- ECO mode allows power-saving for getting more shots from your charged battery
- pop-up flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface
- 4-1/8"W x 2-1/2"H x 1-1/16"D
- weight: 6.6 oz. (with battery and memory card)
- rechargeable lithium ion battery (NB-6LH)
- battery charging station
- wrist strap
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 9340b001
What's in the box:
- Digital camera (black)
- NB-6LH Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V 1060mA 4.0Wh)
- CB-2LY battery charger (4.2V/0.7A)
- Wrist strap
- Canon Warranty card
- Getting Started booklet (Eng/Span/Fren)
- Product Registration card
- Canon Printer advertisement
Canon PowerShot SX600 HS reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon PowerShot SX600 HS
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-450mm|
|SD Cards||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/30p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.63|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
LCD Monitor: The Canon PowerShot SX600 HS has a 3" TFT LCD monitor, featuring 461,000 dots with approximately 100% picture coverage. The LCD display's brightness can be adjusted to one of five levels.
Note: There is no separate viewfinder on this camera.
Image Sensor: The camera is equipped with a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with 16.8-million total pixels, and 16.0-million effective pixels.
Optics: The SX600 HS has an 18x optical zoom lens with a 4.5-81mm focal length (35mm equivalent is 25-450mm).
Zoom: In addition to the 18x optical zoom, the camera features a 4x digital zoom. When used in combination, the total zoom is approximately 72x. When optical and digital zoom are combined, the total focal length is 25-1800mm (35mm equivalent).
Digital Tele-Converter: The focal length of the lens can be increased by an equivalent of 1.6x or 2.0x through the use of the Digital Tele-Converter. The equivalent focal lengths of the lens (35mm equivalent) are 40-720mm when using the 1.6x digital tele-converter, and 50-900mm with the 2.0x tele-converter. The digital zoom and digital tele-converter cannot be used simultaneously.
Optical Image Stabilization: The built-in lens shift-type Image Stabilizer helps control camera shake to give you clear images when you're zoomed way in. Image Stabilization can be used for Still Images (Dynamic IS), Panning (Powered IS), and Macro Shots (Hybrid IS). When using the camera on a tripod, the Image Stabilization is turned off for still images, but some stabilization is used for movies to counteract wind or other sources of vibration.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The PowerShot SX600 HS comes with built-in Wi-Fi technology, allowing you to share what you've recorded with friends, family, and the whole world. The camera can wirelessly connect to and send images to the following:
- Smartphone: The camera can connect directly to both iOS (version 6.0/6.1, or later) and Android devices (version 2.3, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 or later) via the free Canon CameraWindow app. For NFC-compatible Android smart phones (version 4.0 or later), you can make the wireless connection by simply touching the phone to the camera's NFC logo (left side).
- Web Services: You can post your images to your favorite social networking sites through the Canon Image Gateway, or save them to the online photo album.
- Another Camera: Share your photos with other Wi-Fi equipped PowerShot cameras.
- Computer: Transfer images and video directly to your computer to update friends and family while you're traveling or away from home.
- Printer: You can send images to a PictBridge-compatible printer (supporting DPS over IP) to print them.
Recording Media: The camera records still images or moving images with stereo audio on SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards. Still images are recorded in JPEG format, and the movies are recorded in MP4 format (Image data: H.264, Audio data: AAC (mono)). The camera has no built-in memory, and no memory card is included with the camera.
Still Image Resolution/Compression: The SX600 HS can record still images in 4 different sizes (Large, Medium 1, Medium 2, and Small) and 4 aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9, 3:2, and 1:1). For each resolution, you can set the compression to Super Fine or Fine. You can choose from the following resolutions:
|Large||4608 x 3456||4608 x 2592||4608 x 3072||3456 x 3456|
|Medium 1||3264 x 2448||3264 x 1832||3264 x 2176||2448 x 2448|
|Medium 2||2048 x 1536||1920 x 1080||2048 x 1368||1536 x 1536|
|Small||640 x 480||640 x 360||640 x 424||480 x 480|
Movies: Movies can be shot in Full HD at 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps, or HD at 1280 x 720 at 30 fps. Standard definition movies can be recorded at 640 x 480 pixels at 30 fps. Audio is recorded in mono with the built-in microphone. Recording will automatically stop when either the clip file size reaches 4 GB or the recording time reaches approximately 30 minutes for Full HD or HD, and 1 hour for SD. SD Speed Class 4 or higher memory cards are recommended when recording movies.
Miniature Effect: In addition to shooting standard movies, you can shoot movies that look like scenes in miniature models. Miniature Effect HD movies are recorded at 1280 x 720, and you can choose between 6fps, 3fps, or 1.5fps. Miniature Effect VGA movies are recorded at 640 x 480 at 6, 3, or 1.5 fps. When played back at normal speed, people and objects appear to move quickly during playback.
Continuous Shooting Mode: You can use the continuous shooting mode to shoot successive frames while the shutter button is fully pressed. You can shoot full resolution images continuously at approximately 3.9 images per second. In the High Speed Burst mode, you can shoot at approximately 10.5 images per second at a reduced resolution (M: 2304 x 1728).
Focusing Range: The camera features the following focus ranges (from the end of the lens):
- Auto: 2" to infinity (W), 3.3' to infinity (T)
- Macro: 2" to 1.6' (W)
- Normal: 2" to infinity (W), 3.3' to infinity (T)
- Infinity: 9.8' to infinity (W-T)
Shooting Modes: The mode switch on the back of the camera lets you switch between the following shooting modes:
- Program: In Program Mode, you can choose a specific shooting scene, and the camera will automatically configure the settings for optimal shots. Available scenes include: Portrait, Handheld Night Scene, Low Light, Snow, and Fireworks. You can customize many function settings to suit your preferred shooting style, such as Exposure Compensation, AE Lock, Metering Method, ISO speed, i-Contrast, and White Balance.
- Creative Shot: When Creative Shot is selected, the camera determines the subject and shooting conditions, automatically applying special effects and recomposing the shot to emphasize the subject. Six images are recorded for each shot. You can choose from the following effects for images: Retro (resembles old photos), Monochrome (one-color images), Special (bold, distinctive images), Natural (subdued, natural-looking images), and Auto (all effects).
- Hybrid Auto: The Hybrid Auto mode lets you make a short movie of the day just by shooting still images. The camera records 2-4 second clips of scenes before each shot, which are later combined in a digest movie.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Light Metering: used for standard conditions. The area within the frame is divided into several zones and light is measured based on subject position, brightness, direct light and backlighting.
- Center-Weighted Averaging: averages the exposure from the entire image, but places more weight on the subject at the center
- Spot: meters the area within the spot AE point at the center of the LCD monitor or viewfinder.
Exposure Compensation: If you are shooting against a bright background or strong backlight, you may need to correct the exposure so that the subject doesn't come out too dark. You can set the adjustments from -2 to +2 in 1/3-step increments.
Locking the Exposure Setting (AE Lock): You can set the exposure and focus separately. This is effective when the contrast is too strong between the subject and background, or when a subject is backlit. Flash Exposure Lock (FE Lock), just as with the AE lock, lets you lock the exposure for shooting with the flash.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, and Custom.
Flash Modes: The PowerShot SX600 HS has a built-in pop-up flash. You can select Auto (flash fires in low light), Slow-synchro, On (flash always fires), or Off (flash doesn't fire). The built-in flash has a range of 1.6' to 11' in Wide Angle and 3.3' to 6.6' in Telephoto. In the menu, you can turn on the Red-Eye Reduction lamp for the flash, and apply Red-Eye Correction to the images that have been taken.
ISO Speed: The ISO speed can be set Automatically (ISO Auto), or manually to ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, or 3200. Lowering the ISO speed results in sharper images but there's a greater chance of subject or image blurring in certain shooting conditions. Raising the ISO speed results in a faster shutter speed, reducing blurred images. The images, however, will appear more coarse.
My Colors: You can choose the look and feel of the photos you take by using My Colors to add the following effects to the image you are currently recording or have already recorded: Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, B/W, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, and Custom Color.
Self-Timer: The SX600 HS utilizes a 10-second, 2-second, and a custom self-timer to allow the photographer to be included in the shot, or to avoid camera shake when using a tripod. The custom self-timer allows you to set the time delay to 1-15, 20, 25, or 30 seconds for up to 10 shots.
Index Display: This feature allows you to view 6, 12, 36, or 100 images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly. Movies cannot be played in the index playback mode. You can view the index display by rotating the zoom lever toward wide angle while the camera is in playback mode.
Filtered Playback: When there are many images on the memory card, you can filter and display them by a specified filter. You can also protect or delete all images at once while filtered. Available filters include: Favorites, Shot Date, People, and Still Image/Movie.
Review Info: You can choose to display your photos/movies with No Information or Detailed Information.
Red-Eye Correction: You can correct red eyes in already recorded images. However, red eyes may not be automatically detected in some images such as faces near the screen edge, faces that appear extremely small, larger dark or bright in relation to the overall image and faces turned to the side or at a diagonal and faces with a portion hidden which prevents the Red-Eye Correction from working. You can choose to overwrite the file with the corrected image, or store the image as a new file, retaining the original image.
PictBridge: Using an optional Mini-B USB 2.0 cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compatible printer of any brand. In this way, you can make prints directly from the camera without having to connect to a computer.
Power Requirements: The Canon PowerShot SX600 HS powered by the NB-6LH Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The battery charges in about 2 hours in the included CB-2LY battery charger. For long periods of continuous use, or when connected to a computer, it is recommended that the camera be connected to the optional ACK-DC40 AC adapter kit. A fully-charged battery will last for approximately 290 shots (430 when Eco Mode is on), 1 hour of movie recording time, 1 hour 30 minutes of continuous shooting, and 5 hours of playback time.
Date/Time Battery: The camera uses a built-in backup battery for maintaining the date and time data for about three weeks after the battery pack has been removed. By inserting a charged battery or connecting an AC adapter kit, the date/time battery can be charged in approximately 4 hours, even if the camera is not turned on.
Power Saving Functions: The camera is equipped with the following power saving functions:
- Eco Mode: The screen will dim approximately 2 seconds after the camera is last operated. Approximately ten seconds after dimming, the screen turns off. You can "wake" the camera at this point by pressing the shutter button halfway to turn on the screen and continue shooting. After about 3 minutes, if no buttons are pressed, the power will turn off.
- Auto Power Down for Playback Mode and Connection to a Printer: The camera power down approximately 5 minutes after the last control is accessed on the camera.
Note: The Power Saving Function will not activate during a Slide-Show or while the camera is connected to a computer.
Micro HDMI Output: The PowerShot SX600 HS is equipped with a Micro HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to your HDTV. An optional Micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required.
A/V Output/Digital Terminal: The camera has a Mini-B Version 2.0 USB terminal to allow you to connect the camera to a compatible computer or compatible Canon printer via an optional USB cable. This USB 2.0 Hi-Speed-compatible terminal allows you to rapidly download images to your computer or printer. Through the same USB jack, you can connect the camera to a TV or video monitor using the optional AVC-DC400 AV Cable (composite video/monaural audio). You can set the video output to NTSC or PAL.
Software: The PowerShot SX600 HS comes with no software included in the box. The following software is available for download from the Canon website:
- ImageBrowser EX: Manage images: view, search, and organize; Print and edit images
- CameraWindow DC: import images and change camera settings
- User Guides: Camera User Guide, Software Guide
Compatible Operating Systems:
- Windows 8/8.1
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Mac OS X (v10.9, v10.8, v10.7)
2 questions already asked