About the Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
Break away from the pack
Generate eye-popping perspective and depth-of-field effects while getting huge subjects to fill the frame in style. This ultra-wide specialty lens was designed specifically for architectural photography, things like those impressive ground-level shots of skyscrapers, or a hillside view of a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed home. But the impressive ability to shift, tilt, and rotate lens elements will provide opportunities to manipulate space within the image. Even your close-up photography will shine with the ability to create areas of selective focus. The unique character of the images you'll capture will set your work apart from the crowd.
- EF 17mm f/4L tilt and shift lens
- compatible with Canon EOS digital SLR cameras
- Canon pro-quality L Series lens for superior image sharpness and durability
- manual focus only
- special lens coatings minimize reflections and flare
- ideal for landscape, architectural, and specialized portrait photography
- minimum aperture: f/22
- minimum focal distance: 9.84"
- constructed of 18 elements in 12 groups
- lens is 3-1/2" in diameter, 4 3/16" long
- weight: 28.9 oz.
- soft carrying pouch, lens cap
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3553B002
What's in the box:
- 17mm Tilt-shift lens (TS-E17mm f/4L)
- Lens Cap 17 with strap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- LP1219 Soft lens case
- Shift knob cap
- Mounting screw (3mm)
- EF Lens Owners Manual on CD-ROM
- EF Lens Quick Guide
- EF Lens Quick Guide for TS-E/Super Telephoto Lenses
- Canon worldwide locations
- Warranty card
More details on the Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
Overview: The Canon TS-E17mm f/4L tilt-shift lens is a special accessory lens for Canon EOS cameras. The tilt-shift mechanism enables photographers to control the depth of field and the area photographed, and to correct image distortion that occurs with conventional lenses. The lens can be tilted up to +/-6.5° and shifted up to +/-12mm. It is recommended that you use the lens on an EOS camera with 100% viewfinder visibility, and use a laser matte with grid focusing screen. You should also place the camera on a tripod.
Lens Mount: The TS-E17mm has a standard Canon EF-mount, and is compatible with EOS DSLR cameras.
Focusing: The tilt-shift lens can only be used in a manual focusing mode. Shots cannot be taken using auto-focus. The distance scale is only valid when the tilt scale is set to the "0" position.
Exposure: Shots can be taken using AE (automatic exposure) only when the tilt and shift scales are set to the "0" position. It is recommended that you use the same exposure values as a guide to set them manually when using the tilt and/or shift functions.
Tilt Function: Normally, the focusing and imaging planes are parallel. Tilting inclines the lens relative to the image plane, putting it at an angle to the image plane. Tilting allows you to keep all of the subject in focus, even when there is insufficient depth of field. Tilted in the opposite direction, the lens lets you focus only on a specific part of the subject.
Shift Function: The shift function moves the optical axis of the lens in parallel off the center of the imaging plane. Photographing a building with a normal lens can sometime result in an image of the building leaning backwards. This is due to the camera not being parallel to the building. Using the shift function and placing the camera parallel to the building, the building to appear natural in the image. Also, if you are shooting a reflective subject, such as a mirror on a wall, your reflection can appear in the image. By moving the camera and shifting the lens, you can keep the camera out of the shot, without having to change the shot composition.
Rotation: The lens also has a rotation function that enables you to change the direction of tilt or shift by rotating the tilt-shift mechanism. The mechanism can be rotated up to 90° in either direction.
Shift Knob Cap: The TS-E17mm lens comes with a shift knob cap to make it easier to use the shift mechanism. For some EOS cameras with built-in flash, the cap will come in contact with the camera during the lens' mounting/detaching or during shift/rotation operation. The shift knob cap is recommended for use with EOS-1, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds, and EOS-5D series.
- Focal Length/Aperture: 17mm f/2.8
- Lens Construction: 12 groups, 18 elements
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Angle of View (Normal):
- Diagonal: 104°
- Vertical: 70° 30'
- Horizontal: 93°
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 0.82' (9.84")
- Maximum Magnification: 0.14x
- Field of View: 168 x 251mm (6.6" x 9.9")
- Tilt Amount: +/-6.5°
- Shift Amount: +/-12mm
- Rotation Mechanism: Locks at -90°, 0°, and +90° (clicks every 30°)
- Dimensions: Diameter=3.472", Depth=4.4"
- Weight: 28.9 ounces