About the Canon XA40
A portable, professional 4K camera
A portable, professional 4K camera
Looking for a compact camcorder that delivers professional image quality? Canon's powerful XA40 supports full 4K Ultra HD video recording, offers a 20X optical zoom lens with five-axis image stabilization, and includes some useful accessories that every hard-working cameraperson needs. And you don't have to stop recording to swap out memory cards — dual slots let you keep recording when the first card is full.
The XA40's dual card slots also enable you to record your videos at two different bit rates simultaneously — create smooth, high-bit-rate versions and convenient web-ready files you can share in a hurry. And with Interval Recording, you can record time-lapse videos ranging from .4x slow-motion to 1200x fast-motion.
Is there one feature or mode you use a lot? Five assignable buttons let you tailor the XA40 to your preferences.
Superb low-light performance
The XA40's excellent signal-to-noise ratio means it can capture more vivid and detailed low-light images. Shooting at night isn't a problem either, thanks to Infrared Mode, which produces evenly illuminated images in little to no ambient light. Plus, the camera's detachable handle includes an infrared emitter with a diffuser so you get better-looking infrared recordings — in your choice of white or green — even in total darkness.
The body of the XA40 has a mini HDMI connector, a mini USB output, and a 3.5mm minijack output that lets you monitor your recordings with a pair of headphones.
The included handle accessory offers dual XLR inputs with phantom power and individual volume controls for connecting pro-quality microphones. An included microphone holder helps you capture clear sound, even when you don't have a hand free.
- 1/2.3-inch 8.29-megapixel CMOS Pro image sensor for vivid, accurate imaging
- 4K Ultra HD video recording (3840 x 2160)
- frame rates:
- 4K UHD: 30 fps, 24 fps
- 1080p: 60 fps, 30 fps, 24 fps
- wide-angle 20X optical zoom lens (400X digital zoom)
- 35mm equivalent focal range of 29.3-601mm
- 3" LCD touchscreen (460,000 dots)
- 0.24" tiltable LCD viewfinder (1.56 million dots)
- compression: MPEG-4
- file format: MP4
- five-axis optical and electronic image stabilization
- DIGIC DV 6 image processor is fast and powerful
- built-in stereo microphone
- dual SD memory card slots enable double-slot and relay recording
- double-slot recording lets you instantly back up your videos
- relay recording automatically continues recording on second card when first card is full
- simultaneous dual recording can capture MP4 format at different bit rates
- cards not included; sold separately
- Interval Recording (.4x-1200x) creates fast- or slow-motion time-lapse video
- low-luminance noise rating of +3 dB for clear, sharp images in low light
- infrared mode produces video images that are evenly illuminated in little to no ambient light
- detachable handle has an infrared emitter with diffuser for improved imaging even in complete darkness
- includes the option to record in white or green mode
- five assignable buttons for custom shooting
- seesaw-style zoom lever
- manual focus/zoom ring
- eight-blade circular aperture for smoothly defocused backgrounds
Connections and general info:
- 3.5mm microphone input
- 3.5mm headphone jack for audio monitoring
- 3.5mm composite video output
- mini HDMI connector
- supports 1080p video output, which can be connected to a standard external SSD/HDD recorder, enabling conversion to ProRes and DNx formats for efficient editing and storage
- timecode can be superimposed
- high-speed mini-USB port
- 2.5mm stereo mini jack remote control terminal (input only)
- CA-570 power adapter, BP-820 lithium-ion battery pack, and lens hood with lens barrier included
- included removable handle unit features:
- dual XLR balanced audio inputs with +48V phantom power and separate volume controls
- accessory shoe (cold) and external microphone holder
- zoom control and record start/stop button
- infrared light and tally lamp
- 5-1/4"W x 7-1/8"H x 9-1/8"D (with lens hood, mic holder and handle)
- weight: 2.5 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3666C002
What's in the box:
- 4K camcorder
- Lens cap (installed)
- Lens Hood
- HDU-1 Handle Unit
- Microphone holder unit
- 2 Phillips-head screws
- BP-820 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.4V 1780mAh 13Wh)
- CA-570 Compact Power Adapter with attached 64" DC output cord (DC output: 8.4V 1.5A)
- 59" AC cord (polarized C7 plug)
- Ferrite core noise filter (for power cord)
- Quick Guide
- Dealer Record of Canon Purchase sheet
- Register Now sheet
- Canon Professional Services promo card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon XA40
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.0|
|Total Pixel Count||21.14 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||8.29 MP|
|Optical Zoom||20 x|
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||3h 20m|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||8.29 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||Mini-B 2.0|
|Mic Input||3.5mm, XLR (2)|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||40|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Image Sensor/Processor: The Canon XA40 4K professional camcorder features a 1/2.3" 4K CMOS Pro image sensor with 21,140,000 total pixels and 8,290,000 effective pixels (3840 x 2160). The image sensor is coupled with Canon's powerful DIGIC DV 6 Image Processor to deliver stunning 4K and HD video.
3.0" Widescreen LCD Touch Screen: The XA40 features a 3.0" TFT color widescreen LCD (460,000 dots) with capacitive touch to make it easy to compose and review your shots. The bright screen lets you see exactly what your camcorder is recording, and what your widescreen TV will display later. You can rotate the LCD screen 270° allowing the subject to monitor the LCD screen.
Viewfinder: In addition to the 3.0" LCD, the camcorder also features a separate 0.24" TFT color viewfinder with 1.56-million dots. You can switch from the LCD screen and the viewfinder by pulling the viewfinder out. You can adjust the viewfinder to your eyesight using the dioptric adjustment lever. Once pulled out, you can tilt the viewfinder up to a 45° angle.
Recording Media: The Canon XA40 camcorder captures video and still-images onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards (sold separately). The camcorder is compatible with SD cards with UHS Speed Class U1 and U3. No memory cards are included with the camcorder.
Dual Memory Card Slots: The XA40 is equipped with two slots for inserting SDHC or SDXC memory cards. When the memory card in slot A becomes full while recording movies, the recording will continue uninterrupted on the card in slot B (relay recording). You can also record to both memory cards simultaneously, making an instant backup for your footage. The backup movie can be in the same movie format and mode as the original, or in a different format at a lower bit rate, resulting in smaller files that can be shared via email or social media.
Recording Formats: The camcorder records movies and photos in the following formats:
- Video: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
- Audio: Linear PCM (4ch) or AAC (2ch)
- Photos: JPEG
Accessory Shoe: The camcorder features an Accessory Shoe (cold) allows you to attach a range of optional accessories, such as an optional video light. The included HDU-1 Handle Unit uses the camcorder's Accessory Shoe for mounting, but has another shoe on top of the handle.
Handle/Microphone Holder Units: The XA40 comes with the HDU-1 Handle Unit for added flexibility and connectivity. The handle includes additional terminals and controls, an infrared light, tally lamp, accessory shoe (cold), and an external microphone holder. Two XLR audio input terminals are included on the handle unit for connecting professional microphones or other audio sources. You can switch between line, mic, or mic+48V (to add phantom power) for each of the XLR inputs. The Handle Unit adds approximately 3-3/4" to the overall height of the camcorder, when mounted.
Genuine Canon 4K Video Lens: The XA40 comes with a Genuine Canon 20x Optical Zoom lens with a focal length of 3.67 - 73.4mm (35mm equivalent: 29.3 - 601 mm for 4K; 30.5 - 627mm for FHD). The lens features an 8-blade circular aperture, which helps avoid the "starburst" effect of light points. A lens hood is included to reduce the amount of stray light to enter the lens.
Digital Zoom/Teleconverter: Beyond the 20x optical zoom, the XA40 adds a digital zoom, to give you a total zoom capability of 400x. To zoom in and out, you can use the focus/zoom ring, the zoom rockers on the camcorder and handle unit, or the zoom controls on the touch screen. Also, a selectable digital tele-converter is available for digitally increasing the focal length by a factor of approximately 2x.
Zoom Speed: The camcorder has several ways to control the zoom speed. Soft Zoom Control allows you to start and/or stop the zoom gradually. The Zoom Ring is variable, and the zoom in/out speed increases the more you turn the ring. The zoom rockers (on the camcorder and handle unit) can be set to Variable or Constant (16 speeds), and at the following speeds:
|Zoom Rocker||Constant Speed |
|Zoom Speed Setting|
|Variable||---||3 sec to 3 min 25 sec||2.5 sec to 2 min 10 sec||1.8 sec to 45 sec|
|Constant||1 (slowest)||3 min 25 sec||2 min 10 sec||45 sec|
|16 (fastest)||3 sec||2.5 sec||1.8 sec|
Optional Converter Lenses: The XA40's lens has a 58mm filter thread, allowing you to attach optional converter lenses to increase or decrease the focal length. The optional TL-H58 Tele-Converter increases the focal length by a factor of 1.5 with a minimum focusing distance of 4.3'. The WA-H58 Wide-Converter decreases the focal length by a factor of 0.75, giving you a wide perspective for indoor shots or panoramic views. In addition to converter lenses, you can also attach 58mm protective or natural density filters to the lens.
Intelligent Image Stabilizer: The XA40 has an Intelligent Image Stabilization system that can help reduce image blur in a wide variety of shooting situations. You can select the options manually or use Intelligent IS to let the camcorder automatically the mode. The IS modes include:
- Macro IS: Macro IS corrects angular and shift-type shake when shooting in wide angle.
- Powered IS: Powered IS compensates for camera shake in telephoto end of the zoom range.
- Dynamic IS: Dynamic IS applies the highest degree of compensation. It is most effective when shooting wide angle shots. Its 5-axis stabilization compensates for up/down, left/right, horizontal roll, vertical roll, and roll axis movement.
Operating Modes: Using the Mode Switch on the top of the camcorder, you can select one of the following Operating Modes:
- Auto: The camcorder takes care of all of the settings while you concentrate on recording.
- Manual: The manual setting gives you full access to menus, settings, and advanced functions.
Manual Focus Ring: The XA40 has a manual focus ring that helps you achieve the focus you're looking for. The focus ring response can be set to fast, normal, or slow, plus the focus direction can be set in either direction.
Instant Auto Focus (AF): The XA40 offers Instant Auto Focus, which uses an external sensor, in combination with Canon's auto focus system, to help significantly decrease the time it takes to focus, even in low light situations. The Focus Assistance feature provides a 2x magnification of your subject in the LCD monitor before you start recording. When recording begins, the Focus Assist is canceled. Other Autofocus modes include Medium AF and Normal AF.
Face Detection: The camcorder can automatically detect people's faces and use this information to adjust the focus and set the best exposure and color control settings for beautiful videos and photos. When there are a number of people in the picture, one person will be determined to be the main subject. You can also select the main subject manually. Once the camcorder has detected the subject's face, it can track it while it moves to ensure the subject is in focus.
Shooting Modes: The XA40 features several shooting modes, each depending upon how much control you have over recording-related settings:
- Manual Exposure (M): Manual exposure provides the most control over the exposure settings, allowing you to set the aperture, shutter speed, and gain.
- Programmed AE (P): The camcorder automatically adjusts the aperture and shutter speed to obtain the optimal exposure for the subject.
- Shutter Priority: You choose the shutter speed to freeze or blur the shot while the camcorder selects the appropriate aperture for the scene. You can select shutter speeds of 1/8 to 1/2000, or 1/6 to 1/2000 when the frame rate is 24p.
- Aperture Priority: You choose the aperture to affect the depth of field and the camcorder selects the appropriate shutter speed for the scene. You can select aperture settings of f/1.8 (2.8 at max telephoto) to f/8.0.
- Special Scene Recording Modes: The camcorder features the following Preset Scene Recording Modes to match special conditions: Portrait, Sports, Night Scene, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Low Light, Spotlight, and Fireworks.
White Balance: The camcorder's white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic, Daylight, Tungsten, Color Temperature, and Set 1/Set 2.
Recording Modes: The camcorder records movies in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format in 4K, Full HD, and HD. In full HD, the camcorder reads all of the pixels for 4K UHD with Over Sampling HD Processing, to generate stunning Full HD video. The XA40 records videos in the following resolutions:
|4K: 3840 x 2160||150 Mbps||30p, 24p|
|Full HD: 1920 x 1080||35 Mbps||60p, 30p, 24p|
|17 Mbps||60p, 30p, 24p|
|HD: 1280 x 720||8 Mbps||60p|
Pre-Recording: When Pre-Recording is activated, the camcorder starts recording video continuously into a temporary 3-second memory. When you press the Start/Stop button, the scene recorded will have started 3 seconds before you started shooting. This is especially useful when it is difficult to predict when to start recording.
Fast and Slow Recording: When recording in MP4, you can record scenes with a slow or fast frame rate to create slow motion or fast motion movies. No sound is recorded during these scenes. Available Slow/Fast Motion rates include:
|Resolution||Frame Rate||Slow/Fast Motion Rates|
|3840 x 2160||30p||x2, x4, x10, x20, |
x60, x120, x600, x1200
|1920 x 1080||60p||x2, x4, x10, x20, |
x60, x120, x600, x1200
|1280 x 720||60p||x2, x4, x10, x20, |
x60, x120, x600, x1200
Recording Audio: The XA40 can record 4-channel 16-bit/48kHz Linear PCM or 2-channel 16-bit/48kHz AAC audio using the built-in stereo microphone, external microphones, or through the line input. For external microphones, you can use the stereo 3.5mm MIC terminal on the camcorder, or the Input 1/Input 2 XLR terminals on the included Handle Unit. Level controls, attenutators, and low-cut filters are available for the built-in or external mic inputs.
Note: 4-channel LPCM is not available when the resolution is 1280 x 720.
Built-in Speaker: The camcorder has a built-in speaker so you can review the soundtrack as well as the picture when you're using the LCD screen to playback a recording. The built-in speaker is monaural.
Special Playback Functions: The camera uses the following special playback modes: Fast Playback (5x, 15x, or 60x) in either direction, Slow Playback (1/8x or 1/4x) in either direction, and Frame-by-Frame Playback. During these playback modes there is no sound.
Still Image Recording: The XA40 flash memory camcorder is also a high performance digital camera capable of capturing stunning photos. Photos are recorded at the following resolutions:
- 3840 x 2160 pixels (3080 KB)
- 1920 x 1080 pixels (880 KB)
- 1280 x 720 pixels (420 KB)
Viewing Still Images: Photos can be viewed from the 12-image photo index screen. Swiping your finger left or right on the screen will bring up the next page of the index screen. To view a single image in full screen, you can touch the image from the index screen.
HDMI Output: The XA40 features a mini-HDMI (Type C) terminal that offers a high-quality digital connection that combines audio and video in a single convenient cable. The output resolution of the HDMI terminal can be set to 3840 x 2160, 1920 x 1080, or 1280 x 720. No HDMI cable is included with the product.
USB 2.0 Connection: The camcorder features a USB 2.0 High Speed terminal for transfer of photos and videos. The terminal is a Mini-B 2.0 USB. The USB port can also be used to connect the optional GP-E2 GPS receiver for adding location information to your movies and photos.
Microphone Input: In addition to the camcorder's built-in microphone, the XA40 features a 3.5mm microphone input for connecting an external microphone (such as the DM-E1).
HDU-1: The HDU-1 Handle Unit features two female XLR inputs (labeled Input 1 and Input 2) for connecting professional microphones or audio devices. Each input has its own level control, input selection switch (Line/Mic/Mic+48V), and a switch to turn the Inputs terminals on or off.
Headphone Output: A 3.5mm stereo minijack is provided for plugging in headphones for monitoring audio during recording or playback.
Remote Control Input: The camcorder features a 2.5mm sub-minijack terminal for connecting a commercially available remote controller.
Lithium-Ion Battery Pack: The Canon XA40 comes supplied with a rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack (BP-820). Optional batteries are available, such as the BP-820 (7.4V 1780mAh) or BP-828 (7.4V 2670 mAh). The camcorder also comes supplied with an AC power adapter and charger (CA-570). The battery recording and playback times are as follows:
|Battery Pack||Resolution/Bit Rate||Recording||Playback|
|BP-820||3840 x 2160 (150 Mbps)||170 min||95 min||280 min|
|1920 x 1080 (35 Mbps)||200 min||110 min||290 min|
|1280 x 720 (8 Mbps)||175 min||100 min||290 min|
|BP-828||3840 x 2160 (150 Mbps)||265 min||145 min||415 min|
|1920 x 1080 (35 Mbps)||305 min||165 min||435 min|
|1280 x 720 (8 Mbps)||270 min||150 min||460 min|
Charging Times: The BP-820 battery charges in 210 minutes when charging through the camcorder with the supplied AC adapter, while the optional BP-828 charges in approximately 300 minutes. With the optional CG-800 Battery Charger, the BP-820 charges in 190 minutes, and the BP-828 charges in 260 minutes.
1 question already asked