About the Canon XC15
Shoot gorgeous 4K video with professional-quality sound
Canon's XC15 has a rotating grip that makes handheld shooting a breeze.
Shoot gorgeous 4K video with professional-quality sound
Canon's XC15 is an amazing camera. It's a pro-quality, Ultra HD video camera built into a compact DSLR-style frame. That makes it ideal for shooting vivid, high-resolution video in the field. Canon listened to users of the pioneering XC10 and added the MA-400 microphone adapter to this newer model, providing an XLR mic input so your audio can sound as good as your video looks.
Versatile and user-friendly
Check out the ergonomic rotating grip, which makes handheld video shooting more comfortable and keeps frequently-used controls right at your fingertips. The XC15 shoots high-quality 12-megapixel still photos, and you can pull 8-megapixel still frames from any 4K video you shoot, as well. The camera's excellent low-light performance and five-axis image stabilization system give you the confidence to shoot in just about any environment and expect quality results.
Share footage with built-in Wi-Fi
Built-in robust, dual-band Wi-Fi lets you control the camera with your mobile device when you're in the field. It also lets you preview your saved photos on a computer without removing the memory card, and enables FTP file transfer to Cloud-based servers so you have instant back-up of your files. And, of course, when you get a perfect shot, or a mind-blowing interview, is there anything more thrilling than being able to upload and share on social media right away?
- compact, ergonomic DSLR-style body
- removable viewfinder
- rotating handgrip allows for comfortable shooting at high and low angles
- included MA-400 microphone adapter provides XLR-input compatibility
- dual-band Wi-Fi enables remote viewing and control
- 3" tilting LCD touchscreen (1.03 million dots) helps with framing, playback, and selecting camera functions
- 4K-compatible, 12-megapixel 1" CMOS image sensor
- advanced DIGIC DV 5 image processor
- multiple "look" settings help you match footage taken by other Canon cameras
- adjustable autofocus with face recognition and tracking
- 5-axis image stabilization in Full HD mode
- optical image stabilization modes for 4K: Dynamic, Standard and Powered
- ISO range: 160-20,000
- 8.3-megapixel still photos can be extracted from 4K video files
- wide-angle zoom lens:
- proprietary design optimized for shooting crisp 4K video
- 10X optical zoom lens (not removable)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 27.3-273mm
- built-in ND (neutral density) filter
- built-in 2X teleconverter for magnification in MOVIE mode
- separate focus and zoom rings for manual control
- attachment/filter size: 58mm
File Formats and Storage
- records photos in JPEG format
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 4000 x 3000
- Uses Canon XF-AVC codec for 4K video recording
- AVC/H 2.64 Full HD movies with stereo sound
- records 4K video to CFast™ cards
- records HD video and still photos onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface (cable included)
- HDMI 1.4 output (cable included) allows 4K 30p playback on an Ultra HD TV
- microphone and headphone jacks
- 4-15/16"W x 4"H x 4-13/16"D
- weight: 2.1 lbs.
- shoulder strap
- lens cap
- hood unit
- viewfinder unit
- high-speed HDMI cable
- USB cable
- MA-400 microphone adapter and cable
- rechargeable LP-E6N battery pack
- compact power adapter
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1456C002
What's in the box:
- Professional 4K camcorder
- E-58II (58mm) lens cap (installed)
- LP-E6N Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with attached terminal cover (7.2V 1865mAh 14Wh)
- CA-946 AC adapter with attached 43" DC output cord (DC output: 8.4V 3.7A)
- 78" AC cord (polarized C7 plug)
- 5' HTC-100/S HDMI cable (mini-HDMI on one end and full-sized HDMI on other end)
- 2' IFC-300PCU/S USB cable (Mini USB Ver.2.0 connector on one end and Type-A USB connector on other end)
- 19.5" UN-5 Unit cable (proprietary connectors on both ends)
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- Cable clamp
- MA-400 Microphone adapter
- Lens hood
- Viewfinder unit
- Quick Guide
- Canon Professional Services promo card
- Register Now card
- Warranty registration card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon XC15
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.0|
|Total Pixel Count||13.36|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||8.29|
|Optical Zoom||10 x|
|Night Imaging||Night Scene|
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||3 hrs 5 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||12|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9, 4:3, 3:2|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||Mini-B 2.0 USB|
|Mic Input||XLR (2), 3.5mm|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||56|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon XC15 professional 4K camcorder features a compact form factor that's more like a high-end DSLR than a pro camcorder. It can record 4K and Full HD video, as well as 12MP digital still images. The XC15 is ideal for advanced amateur photographers, professional videographers, digital filmmakers, and news journalists. The camcorder comes with a separate viewfinder unit, and the MA-400 Microphone adapter.
10x Optical Zoom Lens: The XC15 is equipped with a Canon 4K Video Lens with a 10x optical zoom. It offers a 35mm equivalent focal range of 27.3-273mm for movies and 24.1-241mm for still photos. Like a DSLR, the lens barrel extends and retracts as you zoom in and out, with a maximum extension of only 36.2mm. Unlike a DSLR, the lens is not interchangeable. The lens has separate zoom and focus rings for professional-style manual lens control. A bayonet-style lens hood is included to help block unwanted light from entering the lens. The lens' 58mm filter diameter allows you to add optional screw-on filters, if desired.
Viewfinder Unit: The XC15 includes a separate Viewfinder Unit, which clamps over the LCD panel to give you an up-close look at your subject. The Viewfinder Unit is simply a series of angled mirrors that reflects the LCD's image through the eyepiece. A large rubber eye cup blocks out excess light for better visibility. A dioptric adjustment lever lets you fine tune the image until it is sharp.
Microphone Adapter: The camcorder has an accessory shoe (cold) that allows you to mount the supplied MA-400 Microphone Adapter. The adapter has two XLR connectors for plugging in microphone or external audio sources. Each input (Input 1/Input 2) has separate rotary level controls, auto or manual input level adjustments, and 3-way switches for selecting the input type (Line, Mic, Mic +48V). The adapter has a proprietary connection to the camera through the supplied 19" UN-5 Unit cable. The adapter has a clamp-type microphone holder for microphone with a diameter of 0.75" to 0.79". In the camcorder's menu, you can activate a 20dB attenuator to prevent distortion of a high-level audio source, as well as a low-cut filter to reduce wind noise or other low frequency interference.
Image Sensor: The XC15 has a 12 Megapixel 1" 4K-compatible CMOS image sensor. It has 8.29 effective megapixels (3840 x 2160) for movies, and 12 effective megapixels (4000 x 3000) for photos. Coupled with the CMOS image sensor is Canon's DiG!C DV5 processor that enables you to shoot 4K video, slow and fast motion recording, and precise auto focus.
3" LCD Touch Panel Display: The XC15 features a 3" color LCD panel (1,030,000 dots) with a 3:2 aspect ratio. The electrostatic capacitance-type touch panel lets you use pinch-to-zoom actions to enlarge and reduce the size of the images and maneuver through the menu. The LCD panel has an adjustable angle to let you shoot in low- and high-angle situations.
Dual Memory Card Slots: The XC15 features dual slots with two types of recording media. The camera records 4K video to a CFast card, and HD video and still images to SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. CFast, a variant of CompactFlash, was designed for the new generation of broadcast, cinema, and professional photography cameras, and supports a much higher maximum transfer rate than CompactFlash. For shooting HD video (with frame/bit rates of 59.94P/50 Mbps), or clips using slow and fast motion recording, you should use an SD card with a Class 10 speed rating.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The XC15 is equipped with built-in dual-band (5 GHz/2.4 GHz) Wi-Fi technology. You can control camcorder operations remotely from a web browser or on a compatible smartphone or computer through the Browser Remote Application. The Browser Preview app allows you to look at still photos stored in the camera without the need to remove the media from the camera.
Optional GPS: With the optional GP-E2 GPS Receiver (sold separately), you can acquire GPS location data and attach it to your movies and photos. The GPS receiver can also set the camcorder's time automatically.
Recording Formats: The camcorder utilizes Canon's new XF-AVC codec for 4K and Full HD recording. When recording in 4K, the XF-AVC Intra-frame encoding captures all of the detail and resolution of the CMOS sensor on a frame-by-frame basis for easier editing and extracting high-quality still images from the video. The camera uses AVC Long GOP encoding to maintain outstanding quality for HD recording up to 1080/60p. The audio is recorded in 2-channel Linear PCM (16-bit/48kHz). Still photos are recorded in JPEG compression.
Recording Modes: The camcorder offers the following video recording modes:
|Movie Format||Frame Rate||Bit Rate||HDMI Output|
(3840 x 2160)
|29.97P||305 Mbps||3840 x 2160 / 29.97P |
1920 x 1080 / 59.94P
1920 x 1080 / 59.94i
720 x 480 / 59.94P
|23.98P||305 Mbps||3840 x 2160 / 23.98P |
1920 x 1080 / 59.94P
1920 x 1080 / 59.94i
720 x 480 / 59.94P
|24.00P||305Mbps||3840 x 2160 / 24.00P |
1920 x 1080 / 60.00P
|Full HD |
1920 x 1080
|59.94P||50 Mbps||1920 x 1080 / 59.94P |
1920 x 1080 / 59.94i
720 x 480 / 59.94P
|24.00P||35 Mbps||1920 x 1080 / 60.00P|
Slow & Fast Motion Recording: The camcorder allows you to change the shooting frame rate to achieve a slow motion or fast motion effect during playback. You can record video with slow motion rates of 1/2x or 1/4x normal speed. Slow motion is not available when recording 4K clips. Available fast motion recording rates include 2x, 4x, 10x, 20x, 60x, 120x, and 1200x. Sound is not recorded in this special recording mode.
Pre-Recording: The Pre-Recording mode lets you start recording into a temporary memory so when you press the Start/Stop button, the clip will contain approximately 5 seconds of video and audio recorded before you pressed the button. Pre-recording is only available for HD clips.
Still Image Recording: The XC15 4K camcorder is also a high performance digital camera capable of capturing stunning JPEG photos. Photos are recorded at 4000 x 3000 (4:3), 4000 x 2664 (3:2), 3840 x 2160 (16:9), and 640 x 480 (4:3). You can also capture photos from recorded movies at 3840 x 2160 (4K clips), 1920 x 1080 (HD clips), and 1280 x 720 (HD clips in slow motion at x1/4).
Adjustable Camera Grip: The XC15's grip can be rotated up to 90 degrees toward or away from the lens to give you a convenient grip angle for difficult shots.
Zoom Speed: The camcorder will zoom in and out as you turn the zoom ring on the lens. The zoom speed is variable, and depends upon how far you rotate the ring.
Digital Tele-Converter: You can digitally increase the focal length of the camcorder by a factor of approximately 2x and record the enlarged image at full 4K or HD resolution. You can set an assignable button to easily activate or deactivate the digital tele-converter.
8-Blade Circular Aperture: The lens has a newly developed 8-blade circular aperture. A circular aperture reduces the "starburst" effect found in camcorders with non-circular apertures, creating a more aesthetic background in the out-of-focus areas.
Dynamic Image Stabilizer: The XC15 has a Dynamic Optical Image Stabilizer system to compensate for camera shake. The Image Stabilization system provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range, plus extra compensation at wide-angle focal lengths. The system controls rotational camera shake, including horizontal, vertical, and roll axis, for smooth, distortion-free video. You can select the degree of compensation:
- Dynamic: Highest degree of compensation; most effective at wide angle zoom. (HD movies only)
- Standard: Compensates for a lower degree of camera shake
- Powered: Most effective when you are stationary and zooming in on faraway subjects. Not suitable for tilting and panning shots.
- Off: No compensation applied. Recommended when camera is on a tripod.
Focus Modes: The XC15 lets you adjust the focus in three ways:
- Autofocus (AF): The camcorder continuously adjusts the focus automatically. You can also use the focus ring with no physical stops.
- Manual Focus (MF): You can adjust the focus manually using the focus ring, the function menu, or remotely, using the Browser Remote application.
- Push AF: While using Manual Focus, you can temporarily switch to Autofocus as long as you hold down the Push AF button.
Face Detection: The camcorder can automatically detect people's faces and use this information to adjust the focus and set the best exposure and color control settings for beautiful videos and photos. When there are a number of people in the picture, one person will be determined to be the main subject. You can also select the main subject manually.
Auto Exposure Modes: The XC15's automatic exposure (AE) recording programs help you obtain the optimal exposure by adjusting the shutter speed and/or the aperture value. The auto exposure modes include:
- Auto: This mode lets the camcorder select various settings to save time.
- Program AE: The camcorder automatically adjusts both the aperture and shutter speed to obtain the optimal exposure for the subject. The ISO speed is also adjusted to obtain the optimal exposure.
- Shutter Priority: You choose the shutter speed to freeze or blur the shot while the camcorder selects the appropriate aperture for the scene. You can select 40 shutter speeds between 1/2 sec. and 1/2000 sec. in 1/4-stop increments for movies, or 31 shutter speeds between 1/2 sec. and 1/2000 sec. in 1/3-stop increments for photos.
- Aperture Priority: You choose the aperture to affect the depth of field and the camcorder selects the appropriate shutter speed for the scene. You can select aperture settings of F2.8 to F11 in 1/4-stop increments for movies, and in 1/3-stop increments for photos.
Manual Exposure Mode: In the Manual mode, you can enjoy full access to the menus and manually adjust the aperture, shutter speed, or ISO speed/gain.
Special Scene Recording Modes: The camcorder features the following Scene Recording Modes to match special conditions: Portrait, Sports, Night Scene, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Low Light, Spotlight, and Fireworks.
Minimum Illumination: The combination of the XC15's fast lens, image sensor, and image processor provide superb low light performance. The minimum illumination depends upon the frame rate and shutter speed:
|Shooting Mode||Minimum Illumination|
|Full Auto Mode: Frame Rate 59.94i, Shutter Speed 1/60||6.4 lux|
|Full Auto Mode: Frame Rate 29.97p, Shutter Speed 1/30||3.2 lux|
|Full Auto Mode: Frame Rate 23.98p, Shutter Speed 1/24||2.56 lux|
|Manual Mode: Frame Rate 59.94i / 29.97p / 23.98p, Shutter Speed 1/2, Gain +42dB||0.05 lux|
Interval Shooting: The XC15 can automatically record photos at a selected interval. This mode is suitable for recording natural surroundings, plants, sunsets/sunrises, and other subjects with little movement. Intervals between photos can be set to 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, or 10 minutes.
White Balance: The camcorder's white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Tungsten, Color Temperature, and Custom WB.
Built-in Microphone: The XC15 has a built-in stereo electret condenser microphone. You can set the sensitivity of the built-in microphone to Normal or High.
Built-in Speaker: The camcorder has a built-in monaural speaker so you can review the audio soundtrack as well as the picture when you're using the LCD screen to play back a recording. When you connect headphones or an external device to the HDMI output, the built-in speaker will be muted.
Playback Functions: The camera uses the following special playback modes: Fast Playback (5x, 15x, or 60x) in either direction, Slow Playback (1/8x or 1/4x) in either direction, and Frame-by-Frame Playback. During these playback modes there is no sound.
Lithium-Ion Battery Pack: The Canon XC15 is powered by the supplied LP-E6N rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack (7.2V DC, 1865 mAh, 14 Wh). The battery recording and playback times are as follows:
|Frame Rate / Bit Rate||Recording |
|4K: 29.97P / 305 Mbps||110 min||70 min||150 min|
|4K: 29.97P / 205 Mbps||110 min||70 min||155 min|
|4K: 23.98P / 305 Mbps||115 min||75 min||160 min|
|4K: 23.98P / 205 Mbps||120 min||75 min||165 min|
|4K: 24.00P / 305 Mbps||115 min||75 min||160 min|
|4K: 24.00P / 205 Mbps||120 min||75 min||165 min|
|HD: 59.94P / 50 Mbps||120 min||75 min||185 min|
|HD: 59.94i / 35 Mbps||125 min||80 min||185 min|
|HD: 29.97P / 35 Mbps||135 min||85 min||190 min|
|HD: 23.98P / 35 Mbps||135 min||85 min||190 min|
|HD: 24.00P / 35 Mbps||135 min||85 min||190 min|
Charging Times: The LP-E6N battery charges in 4 hours when charged in the camcorder with the supplied CA-945 AC adapter. With the optional LC-E6 battery charger (sold separately), the charging time is reduced to 2.5 hours.
Auto Power Off: After 5 minutes without any operation when powered by the battery, the camcorder automatically powers off. Approximately 30 seconds before the camcorder automatically turns itself off, a warning message appears in the display.
HDMI Output: The XC15 features a mini-HDMI (Type C) terminal that offers a high-quality digital connection that combines audio and video in a single convenient cable. The HDMI can be set to output 1080/59.94P and 2160/29.97P signals. A 5' HTC-100/S High-speed HDMI cable is included.
Audio Terminal: A proprietary Audio Terminal is provided for connecting the included MA-400 Microphone Adapter to the camcorder. The special Unit Cable is included.
USB 2.0 Connection: The camcorder features a USB Mini-B High Speed terminal for fast transfer of photos and videos.
Microphone Input: In addition to the camcorder's built-in microphone, the XC15 features a 3.5mm microphone input for connecting an external microphone.
Headphone Terminal: A 3.5mm jack is supplied for connecting headphones to the camcorder for monitoring the audio as you record or playback movies.
DC In: The camcorder can be powered with the battery pack, or with household current using the included AC adapter. The DC IN terminal is for connecting the power adapter to charge the battery or power the camera.
Downloadable Software: The Canon XC15 camcorder does not include software in the box. The following software can be downloaded from the Canon website to your computer: Canon XF Utility lets you save movie clips to your computer, and capture photos from the clips. Canon XF plugins for non-linear editing (NLE) software are available for transferring clips from a computer or the recording media to the NLE software. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows 10 (desktop mode only)
- Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit / 32-bit)
- Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit / 32-bit)
- Mac OS X v10.8
- Mac OS X v10.9
- Mac OS X v10.10
- Mac OS X v10.11 (Canon XF Utility only)