About the Canon XF605
Made for professionals
The Canon XF605 delivers detailed, accurate 4K video for professional productions and news gathering.
Made for professionals
Canon designed their flexible XF605 camcorder for professional videographers working in the field. Its lightweight build and ergonomic grip help you capture high-quality footage on the move. It's perfect for professional productions like news gathering, where you need to stay mobile and adapt to situations as they arise.
The XF605's 1" CMOS image sensor pairs with Canon's latest DIGIC DV7 processor for vivid color and detail even in low-light conditions. You can capture 4K video up to 60 fps or Full HD in 120 fps for slow-motion effects.
This camcorder's pro-quality L Series lens is based on Canon's experience with their Cinema, Broadcast, and EF Series lenses. It boasts a 15X optical zoom and 30X digital zoom with a 25.5 to 382.5mm (35mm equivalent) focal length. The aperture can be adjusted between f/2.8 and f/4.5 with a nine-blade iris that creates a smooth, circular blur for areas that are out of focus.
Enhanced color and brightness
The XF605's 4K capture supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) formats like HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and PQ (Perceptual Quantization) for an improved range of color and light, from pure whites to deep blacks.
The camcorder also has a Wide Dynamic Range Gamma of 800% to prevent overexposure. And it supports recording in Canon Log 3 for a wider range of color grading that makes post-processing easier for applications with changing light conditions.
Capture great footage of people
The XF605 is the first XF Series camcorder to include Eye Detection AF (auto focus) and iTR AF X technology with a deep learning algorithm for head detection. This helps automatically track and focus on human subjects, increasing your accuracy and image quality for projects like a news broadcast or documentary.
An intuitive LCD touchscreen has shortcuts built in to quickly access key settings, keeping you from burning time stuck in menus. The dual memory card slots let you record simultaneously to both cards to create a backup or automatically switch to a second card if the first has run out of space. Plus, you can record in either H.265 or H.264 compression standards in the camcorder's full range of resolutions and frame rates, giving you increased storage flexibility.
This camcorder has a wide array of connections, from its multi-function shoe to a full-sized HDMI Type A output. This makes it easier to connect to other devices and add accessories to adapt to new applications. It's Canon's first XF Series camera to feature UVC (USB Video Class) with its USB-C port, which lets you use the camcorder as a webcam without a third-party HDMI-to-USB adapter.
Network capability for better news gathering
The XF605 also has an Ethernet port and built-in Wi-Fi, letting you live-stream via network connections, perform FTP transfers, and control the camcorder remotely with a mobile device. With the CTM (Content Transfer Mobile) app, you can quickly send footage with metadata notes from a connected phone in the field to a server in the studio, improving coordination with you and the rest of your team.
- 1" CMOS image sensor for vivid, accurate imaging
- total pixels: 13.4 megapixels
- effective pixels: 8.29 megapixels
- 4K Ultra HD video recording (3840 x 2160)
- DIGIC DV7 image processor for high-sensitivity, low-noise performance
- supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) recording in HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and PQ (Perceptual Quantization) formats for enhanced color and brightness
- supports recording in Canon Log 3 for easier post-processing in changing light conditions
- 3.5" rotating LCD touchscreen (2.76 million dots)
- 0.36" OLED electronic viewfinder (1.77 million dots)
- frame rate: 60 fps, 30 fps, 24 fps
- Canon L Series 15X optical zoom lens (up to 30X advanced zoom when shooting in Full HD)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 25.5mm to 382.5mm
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast, accurate focus
- Dual Pixel Focus Guide gives you front and back focus info for smooth manual focus
- Eye Detection AF and EOS iTR AF X for increased accuracy tracking human subjects
- five-axis optical image stabilization
- Standard: constant stabilizing angle independent of zoom magnification
- Dynamic: extended stabilizing range at wide focal lengths for shooting while moving
- Powered: stabilizes low-frequency telephoto focal lengths for fixed-point shooting
- three-ring manual zoom control
- shoot in low-light with High Sensitivity Mode (boosts gain 36 dB)
- fast- and slow-motion recording of up to 120 fps in Full HD
- Wide Dynamic Range Gamma of 800% helps prevent overexposure
- nine-blade circular aperture for smoothly defocused backgrounds
- built-in ND (neutral density) filter with three density options: ND 1/4, ND 1/16, ND 1/64
- built-in stereo microphone
- supports 4-channel linear PCM sound capture
- adjust recording levels, input sensitivity, and limiters for each channel
Data and storage:
- dual SD memory card slots enable simultaneous and relay recording (cards sold separately)
- simultaneous recording lets you instantly back up your videos
- relay recording automatically continues recording on second card when first card is full
- Look File lets you import "Cube" 3D LUTs (Look-Up Tables) while recording for additional color adjustment flexibility
- compression: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 or H.265/HEVC
- file format: MXF-based XF-AVC or MP4
Connections, accessories, and general info:
- includes lens hood (with lens barrier), lens cap, and microphone holder unit (with screw)
- 3.5mm headphone or XLR three-pin jack for audio monitoring
- 3.5mm microphone input
- HDMI output (Type A)
- high-speed USB-C terminal supports UVC (USB Video Class) and PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)
- USB-A port with USB host support for connecting USB peripherals
- multi-function shoe for optional accessories
- BNC connectors for Genlock and SMPTE timecode
- pro-quality 12G-SDI terminal can transmit uncompressed 4K video with 4:2:2 color sampling and 10-bit color depth
- Ethernet terminal for FTP transfer
- built-in Wi-Fi for browser remote operation from your compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer
- CTM (content transfer mobile) app allows data to be swapped between a newsroom server and a mobile device in the field
- live stream video with IP transmission in H.264/AVC format to an IP encoder or monitor
- operating temperature: 23°F to 112°F (best performance 32°F to 104°F)
- 7-7/8"W x 8-5/8"H x 15-13/16"D (including lens hood, eyecup, and mic holder)
- weight: 4.4 lbs. (including belt))
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 5076C002
What's in the box:
- 4K camcorder
- Lens cap (installed)
- Shoe cover (installed)
- BP-A30 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with attached terminal cover
- (14.4V 3100mAh 45Wh)
- CA-CP200L Compact power adapter with attached 59" DC output cord (DC output: 24V 1.8A)
- Microphone holder
- Two M4 x 20mm bolts
- Lens hood with lens barrier
- Rubber eye cup
- Viewfinder cap
- CG-A20 battery charger
- 59" AC cord (non-polarized C7 plug)
- Quick Guide (Eng)
- Quick Guide (Fren/Span)
- Warranty card
- Canon Professional Services card
Canon XF605 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Canon XF605
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.5|
|Total Pixel Count||13.4 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||8.29 MP|
|Optical Zoom||15 x|
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||195 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||8.29 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|HDMI Output||Full size|
|Mic Input||3.5mm, XLR|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||86.4|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Image Sensor/Processor: The Canon XF605 4K professional camcorder features 4K UHD recording with many features designed for shooting documentaries, news gathering, sports, and other functions. It is equipped with a 1" 4K UHD CMOS professional image sensor with 13.4 total megapixels (4268 x 3148) and 8.29 effective megapixels (3840 x 2160). The image sensor is coupled with the DIGIC DV 7 Image Processor to deliver superior performance, rock solid images, and slow and fast motion recording.
3.5" Rotating LCD Touch Screen: The XF605 features a 3.5" TFT color widescreen LCD (2.76 million dots) with capacitive touch to make it easy to compose and review your shots. The bright screen lets you see exactly what your camcorder is recording, and what your widescreen TV will display later. The LCD panel is stored flat and features a rotating design that lets you monitor your video from behind or in front of the camera.
OLED Viewfinder: In addition to the 3.5" LCD, the camcorder also features a separate 0.36" OLED color viewfinder with 1.77-million dots. The camcorder automatically switches from the LCD screen and the viewfinder when you look through the viewfinder, and switches back to the LCD when you move your eye away. You can adjust the viewfinder to your eyesight using the dioptric adjustment lever. The viewfinder can be tilted up to a 45° angle for low-angle shots. A rubber eye cup is included to help you see the image in bright light.
Recording Media: The Canon XF605 camcorder captures video and still-images onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards (sold separately). The camcorder is compatible with SD cards with UHS Speed Class U1 and U3, and Video Speed Class ratings of V30, V60, and V90. No memory cards are included with the camcorder.
Dual Memory Card Slots: The XF605 is equipped with two slots for inserting SDHC or SDXC memory cards. When the memory card in slot A becomes full while recording movies, the recording will continue uninterrupted on the card in slot B (relay recording). You can also record to both memory cards simultaneously, making an instant backup for your footage. The backup movie can be in the same movie format and mode as the original, or in a different format at a lower bit rate, resulting in smaller files that can be shared via email or social media. Still photos will only be saved in SD card slot B.
Multi-Function Shoe: The camcorder features a Multi-Function Shoe for attaching accessories, such as lights, GPS receiver, and a new adapter that adds additional XLR ports. The TASCAM CA-XLR2d (available late 2021) will be compatible with the XF605's Multi-Function Shoe, and will provide two additional XLR input channels, in addition to the built-in 2 XLR channels on the camcorder.
Genuine Canon 4K Video Lens: The XF605 comes with a Genuine Canon 4K 15x Optical Zoom lens with a focal length of 8.3-124.5mm (35mm equivalent: 25.5-382.5mm). The lens features a 9-blade circular aperture, which helps avoid the "starburst" effect of light points, and provides beautiful bokeh. A lens hood is included to reduce the amount of stray light to enter the lens.
Advanced/Digital Zoom: Beyond the 15x optical zoom, the XF605 adds an Advanced 30x Zoom which effectively doubles the optical zoom with additional procession. The Digital Zoom uses the 15x optical zoom and processes the image digitally after that to give you a total zoom capability of 300x. To zoom in and out, you can use the focus/zoom ring, one of the zoom rockers on the camcorder, the zoom control, or the optional RC-V100 remote controller.
Tele-Converter: A selectable digital tele-converter is available for digitally increasing the focal length by a factor of approximately 1.5x, 3x, or 6x. You can select the tele-converter values in the menu.
Zoom Speed: The camcorder has several ways to control the zoom speed. Soft Zoom Control allows you to start and/or stop the zoom gradually. The Zoom Ring is variable, and the zoom in/out speed increases the more you turn the ring. The zoom rockers (on the camcorder and handle unit) can be set to Variable or Constant (16 speeds), and at the following speeds:
|Zoom Rocker||Constant Speed |
|Zoom Speed Setting|
|Variable||---||4.2 sec to 4 min 38 sec||2.6 sec to 2 min||0.9 sec to 1 min|
|Constant||1 (slowest)||4 min 38 sec||2 min||1 min|
|16 (fastest)||4.2 sec||2.6 sec||0.9 sec|
Optional Converter Lenses: The XF605's lens has a 58mm filter thread, allowing you to attach optional converter lenses to increase or decrease the focal length. The optional TL-U58 Tele-Converter increases the focal length by a factor of 1.5 with a minimum focusing distance of 4.3'. The WA-U58 Wide-Converter decreases the focal length by a factor of 0.8, giving you a wide perspective for indoor shots or panoramic views. In addition to converter lenses, you can also attach 58mm protective or natural density filters to the lens.
Optical Image Stabilizer: The XF605 has a 5-axis Optical Image Stabilization system that can help reduce image blur in a wide variety of shooting situations. You can select from the following IS modes:
- Standard IS: Standard IS compensates for a lower degree of camera shake, typically when shooting while remaining stationary.
- Powered IS: Powered IS helps facilitate stabilization in the low frequency range at the telephoto end, and should be used exclusively for fixed-point shooting which does not involve panning or tilting.
- Dynamic IS: Dynamic IS compensates for a higher degree of camera shake by extending the stabilizing range at the wide end of the focal length, allowing for more image stabilization when shooting while walking.
Focusing: The XF605 utilizes Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology, and offers several methods of focusing:
- Manual Focus: You can turn the focus ring to manually adjust the focus. Focusing speed will depend upon how fast you turn the ring. In the menu, you can determine the focus ring direction.
- Push AF: Pressing and holding the Push AF/MF button will cause the camcorder to focus automatically at the highest possible speed.
- AF-boosted MF: You can manually focus most of the way, and let the camcorder finish focusing automatically.
- Continuous AF: The camcorder focuses continually automatically at all times.
- Face AF: The camcorder automatically detects a person's face and focuses on it. If the subject moves within the frame, the focus will track on the person's face.
- Eye Detection: The camera detects and automatically focuses on a person's eyes, and tracks the subject if it moves.
- Tracking: After focusing on a subject, the camcorder maintains the focus, even if the subject moves.
- Push MF: While using Autofocus, pressing the Push AF/MF button lets you adjust the focus manually.
White Balance: The camcorder's electronic white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic (AWB), Preset White Balance (Daylight or Tungsten Lamp), Color Temperature (2000K to 15000K), and Custom White Balance (save to A or B).
Infrared Light: The XF605 has a built-in infrared light that lets you record in very dark situations. This allows you to video nocturnal animals in their natural environment without having to use artificial lighting. You can set the IR light to be always on, always off, or toggle on/off using an assignable button. You can also select the color for the brighter areas in the scene (white or green).
Optional GP-E2 GPS Receiver: The optional GP-E2 GPS Receiver lets you geotag your videos and photos with location data. While you record, GPS information is automatically recorded to the video so you'll know where the shots were taken. GPS information includes latitude, longitude, elevation, and time (Coordinated Universal Time). The camcorder's internal clock can be automatically set when the GP-E2 is connected via the Multi-Function Shoe.
Optional RC-V100 Remote Controller: The optional RC-V100 Remote Controller is a wired remote that connects to the Remote A (2.5mm) or Remote B (8-pin circular) connector. With the remote, you can turn on/off the camcorder, navigate the menus and change settings, control the aperture and shutter speed, change some custom picture settings, and more. The 2.5mm cable is included with the RC-V100, but the 8-pin cable is sold separately (RR-10 or RR-100).
Recording Modes: The XF605 camcorder records movies in H.265/HEVC, the next-generation standard format, with 10-bit color sampling. You can choose 4K or Full HD resolution and a variety of frame rates. It can also record in MP4 AVCHD/H.264 format in 4K and Full HD, with 10-bit and 8-bit color. The XF605 records videos in the following resolutions:
|XF-AFC YCC422 10-bit|
|4K: 3840 x 2160||410 Mbps Intra-frame||30p, 24p|
|260 Mbps Long GOP||60p|
160 Mbps Long GOP
|Full HD: 1920 x 1080||310 Mbps Intra-frame||60p|
|160 Mbps Intra-frame||60i, 30p, 24p|
|50 Mbps Long GOP||60p, 60i, 30p, 24p|
|HD: 1280 x 720||24 Mbps Long GOP||60p|
|Recording Format||Main Resolution||Frame Rate|
|3840 x 2160||60p, 30p, 24p|
|1920 x 1080||60p, 30p, 24p|
|MP4 H.264 |
|1280 x 720||60p|
Pre-Recording: When Pre-Recording is activated, the camcorder starts recording video continuously into a temporary 3-second memory. When you press the Start/Stop button, the scene recorded will have started 3 seconds before you started shooting. This is especially useful when it is difficult to predict when to start recording.
Slow & Fast Motion Recording: The camera can record movies using a shooting frame rate that is different from the playback frame rate. Recording with a higher shooting frame rate will result in a slow motion effect during playback. Shooting with a lower frame rate will present a fast motion playback effect. Available shooting frame rates include:
|Playback Frame Rate (fps)||Shooting Frame Rates|
|Fast Motion Recording (fps)||Slow Motion Recording (fps)|
|60p||1, 2, 3, 6, 15, 30, 44, 52, 56, 60||90, 120|
|30p||1, 2, 3, 6, 15, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60||90, 120|
|24p||1, 2, 3, 6, 12, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60||72, 96, 120|
Recording Audio: The XF605 can record up to 4-channel 24-bit/48kHz Linear PCM audio using the built-in stereo microphone, external microphones, or through the line input. For external microphones, you can use the stereo 3.5mm MIC terminal on the camcorder, or the Input 1/Input 2 XLR terminals. Level controls, attenutators, and low-cut filters are available for the built-in or external mic inputs. Available audio recording formats include:
|Video Format||Audio Format|
|Codec||Sampling Frequency||Bit Depth||Audio Channels||Bit Rate|
|Video Recording||XF-AVC||Linear PCM||48 kHz||24-bit|| |
|MP4||Linear PCM||48 kHz||16-bit||4 channels||3 Mbps|
|AAC||48 kHz||16-bit||2 channels||256 Kbps|
|Audio Recording||Slow & Fast Motion Recording||---||48 kHz||24-bit||4 channels||4.5 Mbps|
|2nd Card Recording||---||8 kHz||16-bit||1 channel||128 Kbps|
Built-in Speaker: The camcorder has a built-in speaker so you can review the soundtrack as well as the picture when you're using the LCD screen to playback a recording. The built-in speaker is monaural.
Still Image Recording: The XF605 camcorder is capable of capturing stunning photos while it is in record standby mode. Photos are recorded at 3840 x 2160, regardless of the currently selected video resolution. Recorded photos are saved to SD card B slot only.
Web Camera Function: The XF605 can be used as a web camera when connected to a computer via USB cable. The camcorder outputs Motion JPEG video at a resolution of 1024 x 576 and a frame rate of 30 fps.
SDI Out/Time Code/G-Lock/Sync Terminals: The Canon XF605 is equipped with an SDI Out terminal (BNC) that is compliant with the 12G-SDI standard, providing a greater bandwidth and 4K video output at 60p frame rate. Separate Time Code and G-Lock/Sync BNC terminals allow the camcorder to be part of a multi-camera shooting setup with many synchronization options.
HDMI Output: The XF605 features a full-size HDMI (Type A) terminal that offers a high-quality digital connection that combines audio and video in a single convenient cable. Time code and supplemental displays (such as superimposed onscreen displays, peaking, zebra pattern, magnification, or waveform monitor) can also be output.
USB-C Connection: The camcorder features a USB-C High Speed terminal that allows you to connect the camcorder to a computer and use as a web camera (with compatible software). With a compatible cable, you can connect the camcorder to a smartphone for saving MP4 clips and proxy clips. A USB-A (Host) terminal is provided for future functionality expansion.
Microphone Inputs: In addition to the camcorder's built-in microphone, the XF605 will accept external microphones using the stereo 3.5mm mic input (MIC), or the two 3-pin XLR inputs (Input 1 and Input 2). The balanced XLR inputs can be supplied with +48V phantom power for connected microphones that need power. You can select the source for audio Input 1 and Input 2 using the provide slide switches (Line, MIC, MIC+48V).
Headphone Output: A 3.5mm stereo minijack is provided for plugging in headphones for monitoring audio during recording or playback. You can adjust the headphone volume in the camcorder's menu.
Remote Control Inputs: The camcorder features two Remote Control terminals for connecting the optional RC-V100 Remote Controller. The camcorder has a 2.5mm sub-minijack (Remote A) to plug in the remote using the cable supplied with the RC-V100. An optional 8-pin remote cable (RR-10 or RR-100) is available for connecting the RC-V100 to an expansion unit to the camcorder's 8-pin Remote B input.
Ethernet: An RJ-45 1000BASE-T Ethernet terminal is provided for connecting a wired network for live streaming, transferring recordings to another network-connected device, or to control control the camcorder remotely from the web browser of another device.
Network Connection: The XA705 offers both wired and wireless connectivity for sharing recorded files, editing, or live streaming. You can also operate the camcorder remotely from a laptop or smart device.
Ethernet: You can connect the camcorder to a router or other device connected to a wired (Ethernet) network via an Ethernet cable. The cable must be Category 5e or better, and compatible with Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T).
Wi-Fi: The camcorder is Wi-Fi compatible, and can operate on the 2.4 GHz band or 5 GHz band. You can connect to a Wi-Fi network in Infrastructure Mode (using an access point), or directly to one network device in Camera Access Point mode. When shooting in a location where no access point is available, the camcorder can serve as a wireless access point for connecting your Wi-Fi enabled devices to the camcorder.
Live Streaming: The camcorder can stream live video (and 2-channel AAC audio) via IP transmission. Live IP Streaming configuration options include:
|Main Recording Video Configuration||Streamed Video Configuration|
|Video Format||Resolution||Frame Rate||Video||Audio|
|Bit Rate||Resolution||Frame Rate||Audio Format||Bit Rate|
|3840 x 2160 |
1920 x 1080
|60p||9 Mbps |
|1920 x 1080||60p, 60i||MPEG-2 AAC 2-ch||256 Kbps|
Browser Remote: You can operate the XF605 remotely using the Browser Remote application. You can view the camcorder's live image, control various recording settings, and check the remaining recording time on the card and battery level.
Lithium-Ion Battery Pack: The Canon XF605 comes with a rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack BP-A30 (14.4V, 3100mAh, 45Wh). Also compatible is the high-capacity BP-A60 (14.4V, 6200mAh, 90Wh). In the LCD display, you can view the remaining battery charge graphically, and the estimated remaining usage time in minutes. The camcorder includes the CA-CP200 L Compact Power Adapter and the CG-A20 Battery Charger for charging the battery. You can also use the Compact Power Adapter to power the camcorder via ordinary household current. The battery recording and playback times are as follows:
|Recording Mode||BP-A30 |
3840 x 2160 30p
410 Mbps Intra-frame
|195 min||405 min||12.9 W|
3840 x 2160 60p
260 Mbps L.GOP
|175 min||365 min||14.2 W|
Charging Times: The BP-A30 battery charges in 170 minutes when charging using the supplied battery charger, while the optional BP-A60 charges in approximately 300 minutes.
Canon XF Utility: The XF605 does not come with any software in the box. The Canon XF Utility application is available for download, and allows you to save and organize clips on a computer, playback clips, and grab still frames from clips. Canon XF Utility is compatible with Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, and macOS 11, 10.15, 10.14, and 10.13.