About the Devialet Expert 220 Pro
A powerful, low-profile amplifier
A powerful, low-profile amplifier
I'll be honest, not everyone needs the Devialet Expert 220 Pro. But if you're that rare bird — perhaps you own a pair of Revel PerformaBe F228Be towers — it's exactly what you need to get the most out of your speakers. This sleek, low-profile amplifier generates an impressive 220 watts per channel, so you can get loud and sublimely accurate sound from your favorite tracks.
Proprietary technology, clever amplifier design, and flexible user interface software make it a unique centerpiece for a top-notch two-channel setup.
Hybrid amplifier technology
ADH® combines Class A and Class D amplification technology for distortion-free performance at all power levels. Signal passes through a Class A voltage amplifier to keep distortion low, then on to a Class D current amplifier designed for high gain. Devialet's engineers also made sure heat dissipates quickly, so you can listen louder and longer.
Devialet's online configurator setup utility lets you dial in equalization and settings, including brand-specific crossover filters for your speakers.
Smart setup with the configurator
Devialet's online setup utility is called the configurator. It allows you to create up to three system configurations, save them on the included SD card, and upload them to your machine. It's a fun interactive tool that lets you dial in cartridge loading for the phono preamp, custom crossover filters for specific speakers, and other vital settings.
One of the coolest options is the ability to configure AXD®, Devialet's proprietary digital signal processing technology. The company partnered with some of the world's best-known speaker manufacturers to create an exciting feature known as SAM® (Speaker Active Matching). SAM uses active crossover filtering to tailor the receiver's signal to match brand-specific speaker profiles, for maximum performance.
Phono settings can be similarly specific, with pre-loaded profiles for most cartridges, listed by brand and model.
The 220 Pro is compact, but it doesn't skimp on inputs. There's a Toslink optical digital input, and two dedicated S/PDIF coaxial digital inputs. If that's not enough, the inputs for the phono stage an also double as a pair of additional coaxial digital inputs, or as an analog RCA stereo line input. A single AES/EBU digital XLR input lets you connect a compatible source with that type of balanced output. If you store high-res files on your computer, the Type-B USB input on the back panel will let you connect that, too.
Speakers can be connected via a pair of binding posts that also accept banana plugs.
- 220 watts x 2 into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at <0.0005% THD
- efficient hybrid amplifier offers the best of Class A and Class D technology
- signal to noise ratio: 130 dB
- built-in Wi-Fi creates a strong dual-band wireless connection
- online configurator tool with manufacturer-specific speaker profiles lets you dial in custom settings
- stream music via Spotify® Connect, Apple® AirPlay® and UPnP
- can be configured as a monoblock amp
- remote included
- Type-B USB input for connecting a computer
- Ethernet port for connecting to a local network
- Toslink optical input for connecting a digital source
- two coaxial digital inputs (digital 1 & 2)
- phono stage input for connecting a turntable with moving magnet or moving coil cartridge
- doubles as an RCA stereo analog line input
- each input can also function as a coaxial digital input (digital 3 & 4)
- balanced AES/EBU digital XLR input
- SD card slot for configuration and setup (card included)
- mini optical digital input is reconfigurable as an RS-232 port for remote triggering
- one pair of binding post outputs for connecting speakers via bare wire or banana plug
Dimensions and warranty:
- 15-1/8"W x 1-5/8"H x 15-1/8"D
- weight: 13 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 220 PRO
What's in the box:
- Integrated amplifier
- AC power cord
- Remote control
- Three "AAA" batteries
- Pair of gloves
- Cleaning cloth
- User Manual
- Warranty Booklet
Devialet Expert 220 Pro reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Devialet Expert 220 Pro
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||220|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||Not given|
|Minimum Impedance||2 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||130|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
ADH (Analog Digital Hybrid) Amplification: Invented by Devialet, ADH Intelligence is the world's first analog digital hybrid amplification technology. An industry-defining invention, ADH works by simultaneously harnessing all the linearity and refinement of Analog amplification (Class A) and all the power and compactness of Digital amplification (Class D). Operating in parallel, Devialet's patented ADH amplification system dramatically enhances audio performance. ADH maintains the analog amplifier's voltage generating function in order to maintain excellent audio performance levels, while entrusting the current generation of power to an a digital amplifier section equipped with drastically superior energy efficiency.
- Analog Amplifier Section: In the analog amplifier section, no passive component is present on the audio signal path and the active components crossed by the audio signal have zero capacity for load storage. The analog amplifier operates based on constant power dissipation. It is therefore indifferent to past and present changes to the evolution of the musical message. There is no warm-up time and thermal distortion is non-existent. The analog amplifier is lightning-quick and its natural bandwidth is continuously stretched out to 5 MHz, ensuring optimal transient rendering and no phase shifting whatsoever. The actual bandwidth is therefore that of audio content during playback is 22.050 kHz for a file sampled at 44,100 kHz, 48.000 kHz for a file sampled at 96.000 kHz, etc. The analog amplifier's dynamic range is greatly extended too, allowing for voltages up to 120V while maintaining inaudibly low residual background noise - for zero speaker hiss, whatever the sound level.
- Digital Amplifier Section: The digital amplifier is based on an innovative multi-phase, multi-level design operating at 1.6 MHz. 4 phases that work together over 5 levels per channel, or 8 phases over 25 levels when bridged. Driven by a micro-processor, power transmission is achieved with no latency and extreme accuracy. The digital amplifier does not feature an output condenser, making it possible to attain 90% effective energy efficiency with ultra high power density. There are multiple advantages to hybrid amplification. Output impedance remains constantly below the 1 milliohm threshold across the entire bandwidth. The resulting damping factor guarantees total control of any speaker on the market. In addition, microprocessor control of each amplification channel ensures constant auto-calibration, as well as limitless protection against all of the following potential hazards - overvoltages, overloads, power pulses, thermal events.
SAM & AXD Technologies: Devialet SAM (Speaker Active Matching) and AXD (Active X-Over Design) technologies guarantee a seamless match between your amplifier and SAM-ready connected speakers. SAM works by recognizing the exact specs of your SAM-ready loudspeakers and tailors the sound signal to fit their precise requirements - all in real time. SAM lets your system achieve perfect temporal alignment between the recorded signal and the acoustic pressure generated by your loudspeakers.
- Almost all multi-way loudspeakers generate delay caused by the bass diaphragm reacting slower to the audio signal than the tweeter does. Mechanical and technical measures help to minimize delay that would otherwise disrupt the evenness and spatial quality of sound. Preliminary laboratory work carried out via SAM Lab enables Devialet to identify sixty or more different parameters per speaker model. More than 800 speaker models are now SAM-ready. Click here for a list of SAM-ready speakers.
- SAM analyzes transducer characteristics using laser technology. These include displacement, deformation, maximum displacement, speed and acceleration. By measuring passive filters, Devialet can determine resonance (bass-reflex and passive radiators) while factoring in the overall impact of casing and damping. Once this data is compiled, SAM is able to produce a full physical behavioral model. The collected data also allows Devialet to calculate the transducer SOA (Safe Operating Area). By doing so, SAM offers permanent protection from overload, letting users reach higher volumes than ever before.
DAC Magic Wire: By inventing Magic Wire technology, Devialet was able to achieve the shortest signal path ever reached between DAC and connected speakers - just 2" (5cm). DAC Magic Wire works by avoiding potential audio signal imperfections, providing seamless impedance matching and keeping unwanted noise to an absolute minimum. To reach extreme new levels of performance, Devialet completely reworked the finest digital-analog converter, driving noise and distortion as close to zero as technically possible.
- Upstream from digital-analog conversion and bit-perfect processing of audio samples makes it possible for playback to remain 100% faithful to the original recording. By bringing the DAC closer to speaker output, Magic Wire technology keeps the analog signal path to a strict minimum. Just (2") 5cm lie between the start of the analog signal and amplification.
- Magic Wire architecture enables us to exploit the full potential its Texas Instruments series 179x digital-to-analog converters. DAC Magic Wire works according to a feedforward model with zero load storage capacity, automatically keeping power at a constant while self-calibrating and compensating for converter dispersion.
RAM (Record Active Matching): RAM (Record Active Matching) seamlessly adapts the Expert 220 Pro's phono stage to fit any vinyl recording. With next-generation RAM technology, the Expert 220 Pro's phono stage becomes instantly and endlessly configurable, working in real time to custom fit the exact characteristics of your turntable or vinyl records. You'll get to experience high-precision tailoring, serving the musical heritage of your vinyl recordings. With countless settings and full MM/MC, stereo and mono compatibility, the Expert 220 Pro's phono input features custom input impedance and a range of capacitors.
- RAM technology allows you to adjust EQ dynamically and with unrivaled accuracy. This precise phono stage lets you achieve absolute synergy between the Expert 220 Pro and any album from your vinyl library, whatever the provenance or date of the recording.
- Given that radiation affects both solid state and cartridge cables, differential signaling is designed to target any interference. Potential ground noise issues are resolved and solid earth ground wiring is no longer required.
- The Expert 220 Pro also features an intelligent vinyl digitizing system thanks to adjustable digital sampling rate output (up to 24-bit/192kHz).
AIR (Asynchronous Intelligent Route): Invented by Devialet, AIR (Asynchronous Intelligent Route) gives you the freedom to enjoy all your locally stored music via UPnP. Whether you're connecting wirelessly via WiFi or wired via Ethernet, you'll get HD quality (up to 24-bit/192kHz) from music files stored on your network computer or server. AIR offers two different set-up options, asynchronous BitPerfect or asynchronous fixed broadband, to ensure the best possible service quality in even the most unreliable network environments.
- Asynchronous BitPerfect: Asynchronous BitPerfect mode provides optimal audiophile-grade conditions. Your music is transferred from your computer or smartphone to the amplifier with zero alteration to audio samples. This mode of transfer occurs at the exact same rate as Expert Pro digital-analog conversion rather than the speed imposed by your computer. The amplifier therefore dictates computer behavior rather than the opposite, with AIR intelligence split evenly between the two devices.
- Smart Buffer Management: Smart buffer management guarantees minimal latency and optimal capacity availability. It’s as though your music were already pre-downloaded and available from RAM memory immediately upstream from digital-analog conversion. By dramatically clearing the pathway from audio content source to analog conversion, AIR keeps overall digital jitter to an absolute minimum. For radically superior clarity and transparency all throughout playback.
Switched-Mode Power Supply: Expert Pro uses a revolutionary switch-mode power supply to take you from absolute silence to explosive dynamics instantly. This ultra high-performance power supply feeds the overall power of the Expert Pro system, while ensuring a very high efficiency rate of about 90%. This intelligent dual power supply runs on a microprocessor capable of adjusting in real time. Traditionally isolated, power factor correction (PFC) and regulation functions are fused into a single revolutionary single stage structure. This allows for heightened power density and enhanced sensitivity to shifts in energy requirements.
Core Infinity: Featuring the latest Devialet OS and equipped with future-proof computing power, Core Infinity is built for long-lasting performance. The board comes with a Quadcore ARM processor clocked at 1GHz, supported by 1GB of RAM-DDR3 memory and 4GB of Flash memory. The main CPU is surrounded by the following components.
- An FPGA specifically intended to provide extra computing power to Devialet OS, optimize audio signal routing and rework clock distribution for minimal digital jitter. The gain in audio quality is substantial.
- A second audio DSP (Digital Signal Processor) providing additional headroom on top of the DSP already included in the mother board so as to support future signal processing features.
- 3 ASRC (Asynchronous Sample Rate Converters) to leave ample room for future developments, and in particular compatibility with additional sources.
- An improved USB interface tailored to accommodate future audio formats.
Note: The Expert 220 Pro can be configured using Devialet's Configurator web-based tool for Windows PC and Mac computers.
EVO: The Expert 220 Pro integrated amplifier is outfitted with Devialet's EVO platform, a truly unique electronic architecture that allows you to receive the latest free features and upgrades. EVO electronic architecture is driven by permanently upgradeable software. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Devialet website onto your computer and the included SD-card (USB to SD-card reader maybe required); the SD-card can then be inserted into the SD-card slot on the rear panel of the Expert 220 Pro for update.
Line/Phono Analog Inputs: The Devialet Expert 220 Pro features a stereo analog RCA input that can be utilized as a Line or Phono (MM/MC) input. It also features two other RCA jacks that can be utilized as a second stereo RCA input or two more coaxial digital inputs.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The Expert 220 Pro is equipped with four coaxial (RCA) digital inputs and one optical (toslink) digital input that support 2ch stereo PCM (up to 24-bit/192kHz). Two of the four coaxial digital inputs can also be utilized as a stereo analog RCA input. The other two coaxial digital inputs can be configured as a mono-sub out and digital output. In addition, the unit's RS-232 port can be utilized as mini-toslink (3.5mm) digital input. The digital inputs are not compatible with multichannel formats, such as Dolby Digital or DTS.
Balanced AES/EBU Digital XLR Input: The Devialet Expert 220 Pro even offers a balanced AES/EBU digital XLR input that supports 2ch PCM audio (upd to 24-bit/192kHz). It is not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS.
Asynchronous USB-B Port: The asynchronous USB port allows connection of the Devialet Expert 220 Pro to your Windows PC or Mac computer for playback of music files stored on your laptop or desktop computer. A Windows PC will require a separate USB driver that can be downloaded from the Devialet website.
Wired & Wireless Network Connection: The Devialet Expert 220 Pro offers wired (Ethernet) and wireless (WiFi) network connectivity for support of Roon, UPnP, AirPlay, and Spotify Connect. The unit features built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11ac) and features a rear-panel RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) Jack.
Roon Ready: The Expert 220 Pro is Roon Ready with the latest firmware 13.1. on Ready certification represents a guarantee from Roon and Devialet that the Expert 220 Pro provides the highest standards of user experience and audio performance. The Expert 220 Pro offers the best of Roon's features including high-resolution streaming, two-way control, Signal Path integration, and synchronized multi-room playback. Front-panel and remote control operate Roon via the Expert 220 Pro. Volume control is kept in sync with Roon. If you start music in Roon, the Expert 220 Pro input automatically switches to Roon's input. The signal path is displayed, including quality information along the path, ensuring that processing isn't being concealed or hidden from the customer. Digital signal processing from Expert 220 Pro is displayed and kept in sync with Roon.
UPnP Compatible: The Devialet Expert 220 Pro is a UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) AV Client. Being a UPnP Client means the it can connect to UPnP AV servers on a network and browse and playback their music content (up to 24-bit/192kHz files). A connection to the internet is not strictly needed for this. The Expert 220 Pro just needs to be able to connect to the server to access its content. Most operating systems and/or music playback software now feature UPnP server facilities built-in. This allow you to share the music on the computer's hard-drive with Clients, such as the Expert 220 Pro. Your music library can include digital music located anywhere on your home network such as shared folders on your own computer (Windows or Mac), shared folders on another computer on your network, or music stored on a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device on your network. Using UPnP, the Expert 220 Pro can connect to these devices and play back, or 'stream' non-DRM music files via the network to your home entertainment system.
Note: Not all servers support serving of all audio formats. Always make sure the server you choose also supports your formats of choice. For example, Windows Media Server does not currently serve FLAC format.
AirPlay Compatible: The Devialet Expert 220 Pro is compatible with Apple's AirPlay technology. With AirPlay, the Expert 220 Pro can connect wirelessly to any AirPlay-enabled Apple device. This allows you to stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, or your computer's (Mac or PC) iTunes library; via your WiFi network.
- iTunes Streaming: The Expert 220 Pro is able to stream audio from your computer's iTunes account via AirPlay technology. When connected to the same network as a computer running iTunes, the Expert 220 Pro can appear as an output option in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the iTunes window. You can then browse your iTunes collection on your computer & stream music to the Devialet integrated amplifier. You will need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to the same network as the Expert 220 Pro.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the Devialet Expert 220 Pro. You will need an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 4.3.3 or later) connected to the same network as the Expert 220 Pro.
- Apple Remote App: Using the Apple Remote App (free download from iTunes) on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad and your wireless home network, you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles & artist info on your Apple device. You will need an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 9.0 or later) connected to the same wireless network as the Expert 220 Pro.
Spotify Connect: The Devialet Expert 220 Pro also incorporates Spotify Connect. If you subscribe to Spotify Premium , you can play all of your Spotify music and playlists, plus control the volume and playback with the Spotify Connect app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
SD-Card Slot: The SD-Card slot is used to store configuration settings and firmware/software updates. The SD-card slot does not support media playback.
Binding Posts Speaker Outputs: The Devialet Expert 220 Pro is outfitted with heavy-duty, gold-plated bind-post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The unit will support 8-ohm to 2-ohm speakers.
Remote Control: The Devialet Expert 220 Pro's remote control operates via radio frequencies (RF), so there is not need to point it int he direction of the integrated amplifier. The remote allows you to control the Expert 220 Pro and access the various menus, which are displayed on the unit's control screen.
12V Trigger: The Expert 220 Pro had a 12V trigger (3.5mm) that can configured as an input or output for automated control of power on and off.
RS-232 Port: The RS-232 port (3.5mm) provides custom remote control integration with 3rd party systems (like Crestron). The unit's RS-232 port can also be utilizes as mini-toslink (3.5mm) digital input.
2 questions already asked