About the C by GE 3-wire Smart Switch
Smart lighting for a smarter home
Smart lighting for a smarter home
When helping customers put together their smart homes, I've always found it best to start with smart lighting solutions. Replacing your regular "dumb" switches with smart ones like this C by GE smart switch brings a new level of simpliciity to your home. It gives you convenient app-based control over your lights when you want it and a tactile button when you don't.
Adding one of these switches into your home is easy. It works with common residential wiring and doesn't require a neutral wire. Once it's wired in, open up the C by GE app on your smartphone or tablet and go through a few simple setup steps. You'll be able to control your lights through the app or at the switch itself. You can even take things a step further by controlling your lights with your voice using an Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant device.
- works with most common residential wiring
- requires ground, load, and line wires
- no neutral wire required for installation
- wall plate included
- 3-way switch compatible
- turn single-pole switches into 3-way or multi-way switches by using two or more C by GE switches
- requires a 15-watt minimum on the switch's circuit
- use the included bulb adaptor for medium base bulbs if less than 15 watts
- turns lights on or off
What's in the box:
- Smart wall switch (three 7" wire pigtails)(white)
- Wall plate (white)
- Smart bulb adapter
- 4 Wire nuts
- Two M3.5 x 2mm screws
- Two M3.5 x 20mm screws
- Installation Guide
- Touch Controls card
- Wire labels
- Troubleshooting card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the C by GE 3-wire Smart Switch
Overview: The C by GE On/Off Smart Switch (CSWONBLBWF1NN) is a wall-mounted on/off switch that can control other C by GE products, such as Smart Bulbs, Light Strips, and other Smart Switches. The Smart Switch is wired, and works with most common residential wiring--no neutral wire required. It communicates via Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz) and Bluetooth (BLE), and also allows you to control lights with your voice using Alexa and Google Assistant. The Smart Switch's dimensions are: Width 1.748", Height 4.124", Depth 1.604". It comes with a standard sized wall plate. The switch and wall plate are white in color, and are covered by a 2-year limited warranty. It is recommended for indoor use only.
Functions: The On/Off Smart Switch features a single push button that lets you toggle on or off lights. Here are other functions you can perform with the switch:
- Turn traditional bulbs into smart bulbs: The Smart Switch controls all types of bulbs from the switch, from the app, or with voice commands.
- Control smart bulbs: The switch lets you control installed C by GE bulbs with app or voice control, even when the power is turned off at the switch. You can also use the switch to turn on/off all the C by GE lights in the room, or elsewhere, even if they are not wired to the switch.
- Voice Control: The Smart Switch connects directly with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant without a hub required, allowing you to turn lights on or off at any time using voice commands.
- Wireless 3-Way Switch: You can add any two C by GE Smart Switches, and group them in the app for 3-way control, and control the lights from two separate locations (such as at the top and bottom of a staircase).
- Out-of-Home Control: You can control the lights on the Smart Switch via the app from anywhere, even when you're not at home.
- Scene Setting: In the app, you can create preset lighting scenes to set the mood for any occasion, including waking up, going to sleep, watching TV/movies, game night, romantic dinner, holidays, and many more.
- Set Schedules: Using the C by GE app, you can set your lights on a schedule. You can simulate occupancy while you're away, or schedule the lights to come on when you come home at night.
Installation: This C by GE Smart Switch easily replaces traditional single-pole light switches, and is rated for 120V AC / 60Hz. It has three 7" wire pigtails -- two load/line wires and one ground wire. Four wire nuts are included. The switch fits into a standard single-gang box. If you install it with other switches in a multi-gang box, the face should fit into a Decora-style wall plate.
Multiple Switches: The Smart Switch can be used in 3-way circuits, such as those at the top and bottom of stairs. If you have multiple C by GE Smart Switches in your home, even if they aren't wired to the same circuit, you can wirelessly connect those switches and control lights in other places in the home.
Compatible Bulbs: The switch works with halogen, incandescent, and LED bulbs, including C by GE Smart Bulbs. The maximum wattage for LED bulbs is 150 watts, and 450 watts for incandescent and halogen bulbs. The switch also has a minimum wattage requirement of 15 watts. The included bulb adapter can be used with some bulb types when dimming performance is poor, the light flickers, or the switch will not power on or control the bulb.
Setup: Once you have installed the switch, it will need to be configured into your C by GE home system. After adding the switch to the C by GE app, you will need to group it with the other C by GE devices you want to control with the switch in the same room/space.
C by GE App: The C by GE app puts control of your home's lighting and connected devices into the palm of your hand. On your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, you can turn lights on/off, dim/brighten, or adjust color settings (requires dimmable and/or color changing bulbs). You can also create custom lighting scenes, such as Study Time, Movie/TV watching, Romantic Dinner, etc. Multiple devices can be grouped together so they can all be controlled with a single touch. Schedules based on your routine can be created, so your lights or plugged in devices turn on or off at a specific time. Control can be shared with other members of your household, or whomever you choose. The C by GE app is compatible with devices running iOS 11.0 or later, and Android devices with OS 6.0 and up.