About the C by GE Smart Motion Sensor and Soft White A19 Bulb
Hey, that's pretty smart
Hey, that's pretty smart
GE bundled these items together to make it easy to get started on smart lighting in your home. The motion sensor gets paired up to the bulb over Bluetooth. That means the smart bulb will turn itself on automatically if it detects motion. And the light can turn itself off five minutes after the sensor stops detecting motion in the room.
C by GE bulbs are voice-controllable by both Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. Just pair the bulb up with your Google Assistant device using Bluetooth and you can start issuing lighting commands. If you'd like to use an Alexa voice assistant, you'll need to pick up a C by GE Smart Plug first. Once the bulb is paired to the plug over Bluetooth, you can use your voice to bring light into your room.
Things get even cooler when you download the C by GE app (free for iOS® and Android™). The app lets you turn the bulb on and off, as well as set lighting and motion-sensing schedules. You can have the bulb turn off a few minutes after you leave home for work or turn the motion sensing on or off during specific times.
The app also allows you to control the bulb when you're away as long as it's paired with a voice assistant. Even if you're out backpacking and forgot to turn the light off before you left, you can rest easy. Just pull out your phone, open the app, and turn it off.
- no hub required
- quick and easy setup through the C by GE app
Smart bulb specs:
- light output: 800 lumens
- compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice controllers
- Google Assistant: pair the C by GE Smart Bulbs with a Google Home device for voice control and out-of-home control
- Amazon Alexa: use a C by GE Smart Plug (sold separately) with the Smart Bulbs to enable voice control and out-of-home control
- compatible with Apple HomeKit (GE C-Reach Smart Bridge required, sold separately) for voice control and out-of-home control
- C by GE app control:
- group multiple bulbs together or separate them in the C by GE app
- turn individual bulbs or bulb groups on or off
- create custom schedules that dictate when lights are on and off
- warranty: 3 years
Smart motion sensor specs:
- can be scheduled to activate or deactivate at user selectable hours
- lights can be programmed to turn off after 5 minutes if no motion is detected
- can connect with multiple switches without wires
- wall-mountable using included brackets
- replaceable battery rated to last 2 years or longer
- 1-7/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 1-1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 93129088
What's in the box:
- Smart light bulb (Soft White)
- Wire-free motion sensor (white)
- 2 "AAA" batteries (installed)
- Motion Sensor Setup Guide
- Installation and Setup Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the C by GE Smart Motion Sensor and Soft White A19 Bulb
Overview: The C by GE Wire-Free Motion Sensor Starter Kit contains a Direct Connect Soft White Smart Bulb and the Wire-Free Motion Sensor. The standard-sized (A19) bulb connects directly to your Wi-Fi router without the need for a hub or bridge, which lets you control it through the C by GE app, voice control (voice assistant required), or with C by GE Smart Switches or Remote Controls. Simply add the bulb to your C by GE app to control it individually, or group it together with other Smart Devices in your home. The Wire-Free Motion Detector can be used to provide no-touch lighting control of C by GE smart devices, such as Smart Bulbs, Smart Switches, Light Strips, and Smart Plugs. The sensor can be mounted anywhere, because there's no wiring to connect. You can add dozens of additional smart bulbs, smart switches, smart plugs, and other smart devices to your C by GE app for control from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet. In the app, you can group together smart bulbs, switches, and plugs in the same room and control them with the Motion Sensor.
Bulb Specs: The bulb features a standard screw-in base, and provides nearly the same light output as a 60-watt incandescent bulb (800 lumens vs. 840 lumens). It produces a soft, warm light with a color temperature of 2700K. The bulb uses only 9.5 watts of energy, with an estimated yearly energy cost of $1.14 (based on 3 hours use per day/11 cents per kilowatt hour). It has an estimated life of 13.7 years (based on 3 hours use per day). The minimum starting temperature is -20°C (-4°F).
Direct Connect Smart Bulbs: C by GE Soft White Direct Connect Smart Bulbs connect to your Wi-Fi network (2.4 GHz band) -- no hub or bridge required. It also communicates via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Once you have added the bulb to your C by GE app, you can perform the following functions:
- Schedules: You can set your Smart Bulb to turn on or turn off on a set schedule. You can use the schedule to save energy, simulate occupancy when you're away, or turn on lights so you won't come home to a dark house. The schedule is set up and maintained in the C by GE app.
- Scenes: You can create lighting scenes using Smart Bulbs, Smart Switches, and Smart Plugs to set a mood or for certain activities. When you activate the scene, the lights programmed to that scene are turned on. If you are using dimmable or color-changing bulbs, you can set the desired brightness or color for the scene.
- Out-of-home Control: Your Smart Bulbs can be turned on or off using the C by GE app from virtually anywhere. You can manually turn individual or groups of Smart Bulbs on or off from your smartphone or tablet.
- Voice Control: C by GE Direct Connect Smart Bulbs can be paired to Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant (sold separately) and controlled with voice commands.
Motion Detection and Light Sensor: The Smart Motion Sensor uses a Passive Infrared (PIR) sensor to detect motion in a 105° arc, and within a range of approximately 20 feet. Motion detection can turn on the lights when you enter the room, or turn them off when the room is unoccupied for 5 minutes or more. This includes devices plugged into C by GE Smart Plugs -- for example, the Sensor can control your desk fan automatically when you enter or leave the room. The sensor also has an ambient light detector that can trigger events when the ambient light level reaches a certain point. When paired with dimmable light bulbs, the sensor can keep the room's brightness at a constistent level by adjusting the lights according to the ambient light. The Wire-Free Smart Motion Sensor is powered by two "AAA" alkaline batteries. The estimated battery life is approximately 2 years. The batteries can be easily user-replaced by removing the rear panel.
Programmable Detection: In the C by GE app, you can turn off motion detection during certain times of the day when light is not needed. It can also be programmed to turn lights on dimly at night when you want to avoid waking someone, but need a little bit of light to navigate a dark hallway or bedroom.
Installation: The Smart Motion Sensor can be placed vertically on a level surface, such as a shelf or tabletop. You can also wall-mount or ceiling-mount it using the included magnetic mount. The magnet will attach to the sensor's rounded top and rear panels, or flat bottom panel, giving you lots of flexibility in mounting the sensor. The sensor can be installed vertically or horizontally. Ideally, the Motion Sensor should be installed between 66" and 78" above the floor.
Setup: Once you have installed the motion sensor, it will need to be configured into your C by GE home system. After adding the sensor to the C by GE app, you will need to group it with the other C by GE devices you want to control with the motion detection in the same room/space. The sensor can be used to control C by GE Smart Bulbs, Smart Plugs, and Smart Switches.
Bluetooth: The Smart Sensor controls compatible devices via Bluetooth. Up to 50 C by GE devices can be controlled by the sensor in the same location. It does not work with any other brands.
C by GE App: The C by GE app puts control of your home's lighting and connected devices into the palm of your hand. On your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, you can turn lights on/off, dim/brighten, or adjust color settings (requires dimmable and/or color changing bulbs). You can also create custom lighting scenes, such as Study Time, Movie/TV watching, Romantic Dinner, etc. Multiple devices can be grouped together so they can all be controlled with a single touch. Schedules based on your routine can be created, so your lights or plugged in devices turn on or off at a specific time. Control can be shared with other members of your household, or whomever you choose. The C by GE app is compatible with devices running iOS 11.0 or later, and Android devices with OS 6.0 and up.