About the GE Cync Bedroom Light and Switch Starter Kit
Start a smart lighting system or expand an existing one
Start a smart lighting system or expand an existing one
If you're looking to get your feet wet with a smart home system, or if you simply want to expand your existing one, this bundle offers everything you'll need for conveniently controlled lighting in a single room. The included dimmable bulb fits most fixtures and gives off white light that you can adjust from warm to cool, making it ideal for almost any task. The best part: you don't need a hub to operate it.
The included smart switch lets you dim or brighten a paired bulb or bulb group, or turn it on or off. It's also wireless and adhesive-backed, so it installs in no time. The built-in battery should last two or more years before it needs replacing.
Easy app control
Things get even cooler when you use the Cync mobile app (free for iOS® and Android™). Use it to adjust your bulb's brightness and color temperature, as well as set lighting schedules. You can have the bulb turn on a few minutes before you arrive home from work or have it turn off just before bed — making your home work for you.
The app also allows you to control the bulb when you're away. Even if you're out backpacking and forgot to turn the light off before you left, you can rest easy. Just pull out your phone, open the app, and turn it off.
GE Cync Direct Connect bulbs are voice controllable by both Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. Just link them to the compatible voice assistant of your choice, and you can start issuing lighting commands.
- kit includes wireless dimmer switch and tunable white Direct Connect smart bulb
- no hub required
- quick and easy setup through the free Cync app
Smart bulb specs:
- connects to your Wi-Fi (requires 2.4 GHz router)
- light output: up to 800 lumens
- high-quality white light that ranges from warm amber to cool daylight
- color temperature: shades of white (2000-7000K)
- compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice controllers
- 2-3/8" diameter x 4-1/2"H
- warranty: 2 years
Cync app control:
- group multiple bulbs together
- turn individual bulbs or bulb groups on or off
- select color temperature and brightness
- create custom schedules that control when lights are on and off
Smart switch specs:
What's in the box:
- Smart A19 light bulb (Tunable White)
- Wire-free Smart Switch with dimmer + color (white)
- CR2032 Lithium battery (installed)
- Wall plate (white)
- Two M3.5 x 2mm screws
- 2 Self-tapping screws (length 1")
- 2 Plastic wall anchors
- Two 3M Command adhesive wall mounts
- Wire-Free Smart Switch setup guide
- Installation and setup
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the GE Cync Bedroom Light and Switch Starter Kit
Overview: The Cync (formerly C by GE) Bedroom Light + Switch Starter Kit consists of a tunable white smart bulb and the Wire-Free Dimmer Smart Switch. The Direct Connect A19 bulb fits into a standard E26 Edison base. The light can be controlled and dimmed remotely, and you can vary the color temperature to set a mood. The switch not only controls this and other smart light bulbs, it can control other Cync products, such as Smart Plugs, Light Strips, and other Smart Switches. In the Cync app, you can group additional smart bulbs, plugs, and switches together and control them all with the Dimmer Smart Switch. The dimensions of the bulb and switch are:
- Dimmer Smart Switch: Width 1.748", Height 4.153", Depth 0.528"
- Tunable White A19 Bulb: Diameter 2.368", Height 4.486"
Bulb Specs: The bulb provides nearly the same light output as a 60-watt incandescent bulb (800 lumens vs. 840 lumens). The bulb's white light color temperature can vary from a cool, vibrant white to help awaken you, to a bright medium white for daytime activites, to a soft, warm light to help you wind down at night. The Cync app lets you choose a preset color temperature, or dial in just the right color for each activity. The bulb uses only 9.5 watts of energy, with an estimated yearly energy cost of $1.14 (based on 3 hours use per day/11 cents per kilowatt hour). It has an estimated life of 13.7 years (based on 3 hours use per day). The minimum starting temperature is -20°C (-4°F).
Direct Connect Smart Bulbs: Cync Soft White Direct Connect Smart Bulbs connect to your Wi-Fi network (2.4 GHz band) -- no hub or bridge required. It also communicates via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Once you have added the bulb to your Cync app, you can perform the following functions:
- Schedules: You can set your Smart Bulb to turn on or turn off on a set schedule. You can use the schedule to save energy, simulate occupancy when you're away, or turn on lights so you won't come home to a dark house. The schedule is set up and maintained in the Cync app.
- Scenes: You can create lighting scenes using Smart Bulbs, Smart Switches, and Smart Plugs to set a mood or for certain activities. When you activate the scene, the lights programmed to that scene are turned on. If you are using dimmable or color-changing bulbs, you can set the desired brightness or color for the scene.
- Out-of-home Control: Your Smart Bulbs can be turned on or off using the Cync app from virtually anywhere. You can manually turn individual or groups of Smart Bulbs on or off from your smartphone or tablet.
- Voice Control: Cync Direct Connect Smart Bulbs can be paired to Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant (sold separately) and controlled with voice commands.
Switch Functions: The Wire-Free Dimmer Smart Switch is actually two controls in one, with an on/off switch and a dim/brighten control for lights. Here are the functions you can perform with the Wire-Free Dimmer Smart Switch:
- Turn On/Off Lights/Devices: When controlling Cync smart bulbs, or lamps or other devices plugged into Cync smart plugs, you can turn them on or off with the inner controls of the Smart Switch.
- Dim/Brighten Lights: When used to control Cync dimmable light bulbs, you can raise and lower the light intensity using the upper and lower controls of the Smart Switch.
- Wireless 3-Way Switch: You can add any two Cync Smart Switches, and group them in the app for 3-way control, and control the lights from two separate locations (such as at the top and bottom of a staircase).
Installation: There are three options for installing the Wire-Free Dimmer Smart Switch:
- Adhesive: Since there are no wires to connect, you can mount the smart switch anywhere. Using the included 3M CommandT adhesive strips, you can stick the switch to the wall. (You should prepare the wall beforehand, making sure the surface is smooth and clean.) After adhering the switch to the wall, the wall plate bracket screws on to the switch with the included screws, and the wall plate snaps onto the bracket.
- Screws: You can screw the switch to the wall using the provided 1" screws. Plastic wall anchors are included for installing the switch on drywall. After mounting the switch, you can attach the wall plate bracket and wall plate as described above.
- Switch Box: The Wire-Free Dimmer Smart Switch is the same size as a standard wired wall switch, and fits into a standard gang box. If two or more switches are installed in a multi-gang box, a multi-gang, Decora-style wall plate will need to be purchased separately.
Note: Before installation, the plastic tab on the back of the switch should be removed so the switch can be connected to the pre-installed battery.
Setup: Once you have installed the switch, it will need to be configured into your Cync home system. After adding the switch to the Cync app, you will need to group it with the other Cync devices you want to control with the switch in the same room/space. The switch can be used to control Cync Smart Bulbs, Smart Plugs, and Smart Switches.
Cync App: The Cync app puts control of your home's lighting and connected devices into the palm of your hand. On your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, you can turn lights on/off, dim/brighten, or adjust color settings (requires dimmable and/or color changing bulbs). You can also create custom lighting scenes, such as Study Time, Movie/TV watching, Romantic Dinner, etc. Multiple devices can be grouped together so they can all be controlled with a single touch. Schedules based on your routine can be created, so your lights or plugged in devices turn on or off at a specific time. Control can be shared with other members of your household, or whomever you choose. The Cync app is compatible with devices running iOS 14.0 or later, and Android devices with OS 8.0 and up.