Active 6-1/2" 2-way in-ceiling background music speaker with IP-addressable PoE networking
Our take on the SoundTube IPD-CM62-BGM by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
An active in-ceiling background music speaker
The SoundTube IPD-CM62-BGM looks like a standard in-ceiling speaker, but it has some cool tricks up its sleeve. This speaker receives power, signal, and control data from the SoundTube STNet Switch (sold separately) via an Ethernet cable. It's designed specifically to provide clear background music and announcements for customers and clients.
It sounds great, too, thanks to a 6-1/2" poly woofer, a 1" silk dome tweeter, and a steel back enclosure with a tuned port for extended bass response.
The benefits of PoE (Power-over-Ethernet)
This speaker works as part of a SoundTube Dante™ system, which distributes uncompressed digital sound over inexpensive Ethernet cable. The STNet Switch delivers 40 watts of power via a CAT-5 or CAT-6 cable. SoundTube software lets you configure and equalize multiple speakers, assign them to zones, and receive instant troubleshooting feedback.
Get a free system design
- 6-1/2" poly woofer with butyl rubber surround and 1" silk dome tweeter
- IP-addressable, self-powered (PoE) speaker
- BroadBeam Ring™ technology for wide off-axis performance
- 91° horizontal coverage area
- drawn steel back enclosure with tuned port for extended bass response
- power handling: accepts 40 watts continuous program power from STNet Switch (sold separately)
- frequency response: 54-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- maximum SPL: 101 dB
- tile bridge, conduit clamp, and paint shield included
- painted steel grille
- fixed-wing mounting arms make installation easier
- cutout diameter: 9-11/16"
- depth: 5-3/4"
- weight: 8 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- One in-ceiling speaker (white)
- Grill w/attached safety restraint
- Terminal cover plate
- Conduit clamp
- Paint guard
- Installation instructions
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Drivers per speaker||2|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.0|
|System Frequency response||54-20k|
|Peak Power rating||---|
Overview: The Soundtube IPD-CM62-BGM is a blind-mount, in-ceiling speaker featuring a coaxially mounted 6-1/2" woofer and a 1" silk-dome tweeter with BroadBeam Ring mount. Designed specifically to be used in a Dante-addressable distribution system, the speaker is ideal for indoor paging and background music in hotels, restaurants, airports, churches, and similar applications.
Drivers: The IPD-CM62-BGM features a 6-1/2" polypropylene woofer with a rubber surround along with a 1" silk dome tweeter, all mounted in a ported steel backcan enclosure. The speaker utilizes Soundtube's BroadBeam Ring technology along with a tuned port on the front baffle for improved midrange clarity and smooth off-axis performance. This combination delivers high efficiency and performance across the operating bandwidth with a bass response down to 60 Hz (-10db).
Enclosure: The IPD-CM62-BGM is housed in a galvanized steel backcan with an ABS plastic front baffle along with a painted steel-mesh grill. The grill can be painted to match the room color and includes an attached safety restraint lanyard. The IPD-CM62-BGM enclosure carries both UL60065 and UL2043 certifications and is CE and RoHS approved.
Dante Powered: The Dante networking system utilizes PoE (Power over Ethernet) to provide low-latency digital audio, control, and power via a standard CAT5 or CAT6 cable. Up to 40 watts of power per speaker are provided by a Soundtube STNet-Switch (sold separately), or they can be connected to Standard PoE plus and PoE switches. Since the speaker is IP addressable, setup and configuration is all be done via software. A rear-panel barrel connector allows the speaker to be powered from an optional 24 VDC power supply when used in non-PoE installations.
Mounting: Installation of the speaker is done blind-mount using Soundtube's proprietary SpeedWing mounting arms. Two constant-tension, winged assemblies come pre-mounted to the speaker. Once the speaker is slid into the ceiling opening 2 Phillips-head screws on the front of the speaker are tightened. This expands out the SpeedWing mounting arms providing tension on the backside of the mounting surface. The IPD-CM62-BGM can be mounted to ceilings ranging in thickness from 0.035 to 2.50 inches, including drop-ceilings using the optional Tile Bridge (not included). Three secondary attachment points are provided on the back of the speaker for an additional safety line.
- Speaker Type: 6.5", coaxial, in-ceiling, Dante-enabled
- Woofer: 6.5" Polypropylene cone with rubber surround
- Tweeter: 1" Silk dome w/ BroadBeam Ring
- Frequency Response (-3 dB): 54Hz - 20kHz
- Frequency Response (-10 dB): 50Hz - 22kHz
- Maximum SPL: 101.0dB
- Coverage Angle (-6dB @ 2kHz): 114˚
- Coverage Angle (-6dB @ 10kHz): 102˚
- Coverage Angle (Avg. 2 to 10kHz): 91˚
- Crossover Frequency: 4.0kHz
- Enclosure Material: Ported drawn-steel backcan, ABS front baffle
- Grill: Painted steel-mesh
- Inputs: RJ45 Ethernet port
- Dimensions: Diameter - 11.750", Depth (incl. grill) - 6.625"
- Mounting Depth: 5.750"
- Cutout Diameter: 10.50"
- Maximum Ceiling Thickness: 0.035" to 2.50"
- Weight: 8.0 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Frequently Compared With
Active 6-1/2" 2-way in-ceiling background music speaker with IP-addressable PoE networking$555.00 each
JBL Control® HST
Weather-resistant surface mount speaker for distributed audio systems
Electro-Voice EVID S8.2T
8" weather-resistant surface-mount speaker for distributed audio systems$499.00 pair