About the Panamax MAX 5500-EX
If you want something done right, do it yourself that's the philosophy behind Panamax's top-of the line MAX® 5500-EX. It takes the noisy, inconsistent AC power from your wall outlet and uses it to generate clean new current that's completely isolated from potential interference. This pristine power feeds four of the 5500-EX's outlets, ideal for video displays and source components such as DVD players.
Advanced filtration keeps the rest of the 5500-EX's 11 outlets free from performance-robbing noise. The outlets are divided into five separate banks to prevent electronic interference between your components. As a result, you'll enjoy cleaner sound and a better picture with your system.
Large, easy-to-read digital meters display the incoming AC voltage and current draw. Panamax's circuitry detects when the voltage level is too low or too high, automatically disconnecting the power to your gear, then reconnecting it when the voltage returns to safe levels. That means your equipment runs smoother and lasts longer.
- 11 AC outlets:
- four switched outlets
- four always-on outlets
- two high-current outlets
- one front-panel convenience outlet
- AC regeneration for 4 outlets creates clean, new current using an isolation transformer
- surge and over- and under-voltage protection
- filtration circuitry virtually eliminates line noise
- five isolated outlet banks
- two sets antenna/cable coaxial connections
- two sets digital satellite TV in/out coaxial connections
- one RJ-11/RJ-45 phone line in/out for LAN line
- one RJ-45 phone line in/out for satellite receiver or DVR
- optional brackets for rack-mounting
- digital voltage meter and current draw meter
- maximum current rating 15 amps
- 17"W x 4-3/16"H x 14-1/4"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- $5 million connected-equipment warranty (covers equipment that is damaged by an AC surge while connected to a properly installed Panamax surge protector if protector shows signs of surge damage or is operating outside of design specifications)
- MFR # M5500-EX
What's in the box:
- Surge suppressor/power line conditioner with attached 9.75' AC power cord
- 2 Rack mount brackets
- 4 Machine screws
- 4 Plastic washers
- Two 40" coaxial cables
- 49" Telephone cable (has an RJ11 connector on each end)
- Owner's Guide (English/Spanish/French)
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Panamax MAX 5500-EX
Features & specs
|Total AC Outlets||---|
|Total Current Capacity||---|
|Coaxial RF Jacks||No|
|Powerline Network Compatible||---|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||---|
Level 6 Power Cleaning and Filtration: Level 6 Power Cleaning and Filtration eliminates common symptoms of contaminated power (including loss of detail, pops, hisses, hums and visual artifacts) and allows your A/V equipment to perform up to its full capability. AC Regeneration feeds pure clean power to 4 isolated outlets for video displays and source components.
AVM Circuitry: Panamax's patent pending AVM circuitry continuously monitors the incoming power and amperage draw of connected equipment as displayed on the digital meters. A red lightning bolt below the voltmeter will flash to indicate an under or over voltage condition. Power to the connected equipment is automatically turned off if either of these conditions is detected. When voltage returns to a safe level, power to the equipment is automatically reconnected.
SignalPerfect Technology: The SignalPerfect technology provides application specific protection for your satellite and cable TV equipment. The satellite connection is for a coaxial cable connected to a DBS satellite dish. The antenna connection is for a non-amplified off-air antenna or cable TV line.
Noise Isolation: The MAX 5500-EX is designed to provide noise isolation between 5 isolated outlet banks, including 2 high current outlets. Any noise created by an A/V component cannot contaminate the power going to equipment plugged into the other outlet banks.
Protect or Disconnect Circuitry: When the MAX 5500-EX is subjected to a high voltage surge, its voltage output is limited to a safe level and the high levels of surge current are diverted away from the connected equipment.
Voltmeter: The backlit Voltmeter monitors the incoming voltage from the wall receptacle and provides a visual representation of the available power. The Voltmeter is always on and indicates the incoming line voltage even during an unsafe voltage condition.
Ammeter: The Ammeter measures the amount of current being drawn by the connected equipment and the MAX 5500-EX. The MAX 5500-EX does use a small amount of power and its current is included.
Meter Light Button: A Meter Light button to the left of the Voltmeter allows you to adjust the brightness level of the Ammeter and Voltmeter backlighting to one of the following: Low, Medium, High, or Off.
Sequential Startup/Shutdown: Complex audio/video systems may be susceptible to voltage transients generated internally at start-up/shutdown if all of the equipment is powered on or off at the same time. This can cause speaker "thumps," which can damage your speakers. The MAX 5500-EX is designed to eliminate these transients by providing a "start-up" delay for the High-Current outlets and a "shutdown" delay for the switched outlet bank.
Outlet Banks 1 & 2: Four outlets (two banks/two outlets per bank) remain On continually to provide a constant power source for programmable audio/video components. Power for each bank is cleaned by a four-stage balanced Pi filter. Power will only be turned off under a fault connection.
Outlet Banks 3 & 4: Each Outlet Bank contains two switched outlets that will turn your connected equipment On or Off with one of two triggers: the front-panel power button or the DC trigger input. The outlets will turn on immediately and turn off after 10 seconds. EMI/RFI noise filtration is provided by the Isolation Transformer in conjunction with a three-stage balanced Pi filter. A two-position slide switch located on the rear panel allows the outlet banks to be set as "Always On."
Outlet Bank 5 (High-Current): The two switched, high current outlets are controlled by the front panel power button or the DC trigger input. The outlets have a 5-second turn on delay and they turn off immediately. The High Current outlets provide power from a low impedance noise filtration circuit that does not limit the current to your equipment. A two-position slide switch located on the rear panel allows the outlet bank to be set as "Always On."
Convenience Outlet: A single outlet on the front panel of the MAX 5500-EX provides an easy-to-reach power source for components like video game systems and camcorders.
Voltage Sense Trigger: This feature provides an On/Off trigger for the MAX 5500-EX using a 3-24VDC remote control signal. Many components such as pre-amplifiers and receivers have a 12VDC trigger built in, and will transmit a constant power signal when turned on and in use. This power signal will initiate the startup or shutdown sequence of the MAX 5500-EX's switched outlets. The MAX 5500-EX Voltage Sense Trigger input uses a standard 1/8" mini-plug jack.
Circuit Breakers: There are two separate circuit breakers on the back panel of the MAX 5500-EX. The main circuit breaker will trip only if the total current draw exceeds the maximum current rating (15A). A second circuit breaker automatically opens when the combined current load for Outlet Banks 3 & 4 is greater than 4A.
$5,000,000 Lifetime Connected Equipment Warranty: Panamax will replace, pay to replace at fair market value, or pay to repair, up to $5,000,000 of equipment that is damaged by an AC surge while connected to a properly installed Panamax surge protector, if the surge protector shows signs of surge damage or is operating outside of design specifications.
Status Indicators: The MAX 5500-EX has the following status LEDs on the front panel: Bank 1 Always On, Bank 2 Always On, Bank 3 On, Bank 4 On, Bank 5 On, and Wiring OK.
- Convenience Outlet: one "always on" outlet
- Bank 1: two "always on" outlets
- Bank 2: two "always on" outlets
- Bank 3: two switched outlets
- Bank 4: two switched outlets
- Bank 5: two high current outlets
- Satellite 1: coaxial line input and output (gold-plated, threaded, female F-type connectors)
- Satellite 2: coaxial line input and output (gold-plated, threaded, female F-type connectors)
- CATV/ANT 1: coaxial line input and output (gold-plated, threaded, female F-type connectors)
- CATV/ANT 2: coaxial line input and output (gold-plated, threaded, female F-type connectors)
- LAN (Line In): RJ45 jack
- LAN (Equipment): RJ45 jack
- Phone (Line In): RJ11 jack
- Phone (Equipment): RJ11 jack
- Voltage Sense Trigger Input: minijack
- Voltage Sense Trigger Output: minijack
- Line Voltage: 120V, 60Hz
- Total Current Capacity: 15A
- UL 1449 Surge Suppression Rating: 330V
- Protection Modes: L-N, L-G, N-G
- Initial Clamping Level: 200V
- Energy Dissipation: 1815 Joules
- Peak Impulse Current: 73,000A
- Over-voltage Shutoff Threshold: 142 VAC (+/-5 VAC)
- Under-voltage Shutoff Threshold: 90 VAC (+/-3 VAC)
- EMI/RFI Noise Filtration:
- Banks 1-4: 100 dB (100kHz-2MHz)
- Bank 5: 60 dB (100kHz-2MHz)
DC Trigger Input:
- Voltage and Polarity: 3-24VDC, bi-directional
- Current Requirement: 4.6 mA @ 3V, 58 mA @ 24V
DC Trigger Output:
- Voltage: <15V
- Current: <500 mA
- Clamping Level: 8V (+/-2V)
- Clamping Level: 260V
- Capacitance: approximately 30pf
- Suppression Modes: metallic and longitudinal
Satellite TV Circuit:
- Clamping Level: 25V
- Attenuation: <1 dB from 950MHz-2.05GHz, <2.4 dB @ 2.2GHz
Cable TV Circuit:
- Clamping Level: 1.4V
- Attenuation: <1dB up to 950MHz