About the Panamax MX5102
Complete home theater protection
The MX5102's 10 AC outlets are grouped into four isolated banks to prevent noise and cross-interference. One bank features a battery backup system.
Complete home theater protection
The Panamax MX5102 guards against potentially damaging voltage dips and spikes, and filters out noise in your AC power to improve the performance of connected audio and video gear. It also features a built-in battery that can power components for up to three minutes, giving you time to shut them down in a safe and orderly fashion.
The MX5102 gives you ten outlets for protecting your audio/video equipment. These outlets are grouped into four isolated banks to prevent noise and cross-interference. One bank features a battery backup system that gives your components a dependable stream of power during unexpected outages.
This can help you in ways such as protecting your projector's bulb by keeping its cooling fan engaged, or by giving you time to save the video game you're playing so you don't lose your progress. Plus, the MX5102 features a unique learning IR function that you can program to send out shutdown or standby commands to components such as a home theater projector. (Requires infrared flashers, not included.)
The other three banks consist of one set of unswitched outlets, one set of voltage-regulated switched outlets for digital sources like a DVD or Blu-ray player, and a different set of switched outlets for high-current components like receivers, amplifiers, and powered subwoofers. The high-current outlets operate on a delay to prevent potentially harmful "speaker thump" when you power your system on and off. You also get surge-protected connections for phone, Ethernet, and cable or satellite signals.
Clean power for optimum performance from your A/V components
Automatic Voltage Monitoring (AVM) circuitry keeps outgoing AC power within a narrow optimal voltage range for your home theater components. Panamax's exclusive LiFT (Linear Filtration Technology) filters noise evenly across the entire frequency band, removing the harmonic noise that can keep your equipment from delivering its peak performance.
- 10 surge-protected outlets in four isolated banks:
- 4 switched
- 2 battery backup
- 2 switched high-current
- 2 always on
- 1800 Joule protection
- 2 outlets include 600VA/360W battery backup to maintain power to components during blackouts and brownouts
- automatic voltage regulation circuitry for consistent power
- LiFT (Linear Filtration Technology) filters noise evenly across the entire frequency band
- resettable circuit breakers
- front-panel LCD shows line voltage, as well as time remaining during battery backup
- learning IR control for orderly shutdown of components
- dual IR outputs (requires infrared flashers, not included)
- 3 pairs of RF coaxial jack connections for cable, satellite, and antenna TV signals
- 1 Ethernet input and output
- 1 phone line input and output
- 12-volt trigger input
- removable panel for battery access and replacement
- includes hardware for rack mounting
- 17-1/16"W x 4"H x 14-3/4"D
- weight: 27 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- $5 million connected-equipment warranty (covers equipment that is damaged by an AC surge while connected to a properly installed Panamax surge protector if protector shows signs of surge damage or is operating outside of design specifications)
- MFR # MX5102
What's in the box:
- MX5102 Battery Backup/Power Management unit (with attached 10' power cord)
- Three 4' lengths of RG-59 coaxial cable
- 3' Ethernet cable (RJ-45 connectors on each end)
- 6' Telephone cord (with RJ-11 plugs on each end)
- 2 Metal rack mounting ears
- 10 Flat head screws (M5 x 10mm)
- 4 Pan head screws (M5 x 15mm)
- 4 Flat washers
- Additional Technical Information sheet
Panamax MX5102 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Panamax MX5102
Features & specs
|Total AC Outlets||10|
|Powerline Network Compatible||No|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||$5,000,000|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years (2 Yrs battery)|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years (2 Yrs battery)|
Overview: The Panamax MX5102 is a complete power management unit, providing surge protection, line filtration, and battery backup. It has 10 AC outlets, 3 pairs of coaxial jacks, a pair of phone jacks, a pair of LAN (Ethernet) jacks, dual learning IR output jacks, and a 12-volt trigger output.
Front Panel: The front panel features a digital voltmeter and UPS status display. During normal operation, the unit displays the incoming line voltage, and if it drops below 90V or exceeds 132V, the Unsafe Voltage LED will flash. During battery backup operation, the display will indicate the estimated battery backup time in minutes. A row of LEDs illuminates to indicate the outlet banks that are powered on, as well as warning the presence of an unsafe voltage or line fault. In addition to the power switch, the front panel has a UPS Test button and display dimmer. The removable batteries are also accessed from the front panel.
AC Outlets: The 10 AC outlets are divided into four isolated banks to prevent noise contamination between components. The bank functions are:
- Outlet Bank 1: Two "always on" outlets with Linear Filtration Technology (LFT). Power will be turned off only under a fault condition. It is not affected by the front panel Power Button. Its output is noise isolated from all other outlet banks.
- Outlet Bank 2: Four switched outlets with LFT, controlled by the front panel Power Button or the DC Trigger input. Bank 2 will turn on immediately, and turn off after 5 seconds. Its output is noise isolated from all other outlet banks.
- Outlet Bank 3: Two switched, high-current outlets controlled by the front panel Power Button or the DC Trigger input. Bank 3 has a 5 second turn on delay and turns off immediately. The High Current outlet provides power from a low impedance noise filtration circuit that does not limit the current to your equipment (recommended for subwoofers and amplifiers). Its output is noise isolated from all other outlet banks.
- Outlet Bank 4: Two always on, battery powered, surge protected outlets for connected equipment ensure temporary uninterrupted operation of connected equipment during a power failure.
Linear Filtering Technology: The built-in Clean Power Lever 3 AC noise filtering helps improve picture and sound quality. Panamax's LFT evenly eliminates noise across the entire bandwidth to ensure peak audio and video performance by reducing harmonic distortion and improving the signal-to-noise ratio.
Sequential Start/Shutdown: The outlets are configured for a sequential start/shutdown to avoid annoying, and potentially damaging speaker "thumps". The high current outlets for amps and subwoofers power on 5 seconds after the Switched Outlet Banks. During shutdown, the amplifiers and subwoofers turn off immediately, allowing their power supplies to drain, and then, 5 seconds later, the Switched Outlet Banks are turned off.
Battery Backup Outlets: The MX5102 is equipped with two outlets with up to 600VA battery backup. Certain audio/video components greatly benefit from uninterrupted power. Cable boxes and satellite receivers take a substantial amount of time to recover all of the programming information after a power failure. DVRs can continue to record scheduled programs. Projection TV bulbs can fail from thermal shock if the power is abruptly interrupted, and the television cannot go through the proper cool down cycle.
Universal TV Coaxial Jacks: The MX5102 has 3 pairs of bi-directional protection circuits optimized for satellite, cable, and antenna TV signal lines. The circuits achieve optimum signal quality with very little signal loss (<0.5dB of attenuation from 0 MHz to 2.2 GHz). The 75V clamping level meets the demands of both cable and satellite voltage while minimizing exposure to damaging spikes and surges. Three RG-59 cables are included.
Telephone Line Protection: Digital video recorders (DVRs) and satellite TV receivers require a telephone line connection for TV show scheduling and/or Pay-Per-View services. The MX5102 provides surge protection on this line with a 267-volt clamping level. This will allow typical ring voltage (90-130 VAC) and operating battery voltage (-48 DC) to pass through the circuit and still protect the modem in the satellite receiver or DVR from damage. A 10' phone cable is supplied.
LAN: The MX5102 provides protection for 10/100 baseT Ethernet lines (8 wire protection, 50V clamping), providing an RJ-45 input for the incoming LAN line, and an output to the equipment. A 3' Ethernet cable is supplied.
Over/Under Voltage Protection: Panamax's power monitoring circuitry constantly monitors the AC line voltage for unsafe voltage conditions, such as momentary spikes or prolonged over-voltages or under-voltages (brownouts). When an unsafe power condition is detected, the MX5102 automatically disconnects the equipment from the power to protect the equipment from damage. At the same instant, the Battery Backup outlets are switched to battery power. The under-voltage shutoff is 90V, while the over-voltage shutoff is 132V (slow rise) or 150V (fast rise), both +/- 5V.
Catastrophic Surge Protection: The MX5102 will withstand, without damage, 10,000A surges, which far exceeds the UL requirement of 3000A surges. When subjected to a 6000V (open circuit voltage) / 500A (short circuit current) surge, the unit limits its voltage output to less than 330V peak, UL's best rating. If the magnitude of the surge is greater than the capacity of the surge protection components, the MX5102' Protect or Disconnect Circuitry will disconnect the equipment in order to protect it. The unit will need to be repaired or replaced by Panamax if this occurs within the 3-year product warranty period.
Dual Learning IR Function: Panamax's patent-pending Learning IR function lets you program the UPS to send standby or shut-down commands to components such as DLP ceiling projectors. The unit can learn two IR commands. The learned commands will be transmitted on both IR output jacks so you have the ability to control 2 different pieces of equipment, or use a 2-step macro for one component.
12-Volt Triggers: The built-in 12V trigger allows source equipment to activate or deactivate the outlets on the MX5102. A rear-mounted 3.5mm (1/8") mono mini-jack input is provided.
Rack Ears: A rack-mounting kit, consisting of two rack ears and hardware, is provided to allow you to mount the MX5102 in an equipment rack. The unit's feet are removable, so the unit will fit into a standard, 3-1/2" tall, 2U (2 rack unit) space.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked