About the Hertz HCP 5D
Not into putting together a bulky multi-amp system? Hertz' HCP 5D five-channel amplifier will deliver 50 watts RMS to each of your vehicle's front and rear speakers while sending up to 280 watts RMS to a sub, improving the sound of your entire system as well as your listening experience. This versatile amp can also be used in 3-channel mode to power a pair of high-performance speakers or components with 180 watts RMS each, while sending the sub 280 watts RMS.
Tri-amp a 3-way active system
The high- and low-pass filters on the front and rear channels of the HCP 5D can be set as high as 5000 Hz, so you could use the amp to power a couple tweeters with the front channels, a couple midrange drivers with the rear channels, a subwoofer with its own channel, and gain more control over your system's different tones and levels.
Works in almost any system
This amp will work with an aftermarket receiver using RCA connections, or a factory radio using speaker-level wiring and Hertz' ART™ automatic remote turn-on system.
When you think of Italian cars, you think of style, performance, and awesome sound. Same goes for Italian audio gear. Hertz speakers, subs, and amps have made cars sound super since 1998. Known for great sound and technological innovation, high-end gear from Hertz will bring powerful performance audio to any vehicle or vessel.
- 5-channel car amplifier
- 50 watts RMS x 4 + 150 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 90 watts RMS x 4 + 280 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 180 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 280 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- CEA-2006 compliant
- Class-D amplifier technology
- frequency response: Front & Rear: 10-50,000 Hz; Sub: 10-500 Hz
- front channels:
- variable high-pass filter (50-5000 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- rear channels:
- variable high-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- bandpass setting adds a variable low-pass filter (50-5000 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- Subwoofer channel:
- variable low-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost (0-12 dB at 50 Hz)
- switchable subsonic filter (25 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- optional Hertz HRC wired remote level control for subwoofer channel
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- Automatic Remote Turn On with speaker-level inputs
- fuse rating: 25A x 2
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 8-gauge power and ground wire recommended
- dimensions: 13-1/2"W x 2"H x 7-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HCP 5D
What's in the box:
- 5-Channel amplifier
- Four 25A ATO fuses (2 installed)
- Three 7" Speaker level input harnesses
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 2mm Allen wrench
- Four M4 x 20mm mounting screws
- 4 Flat washers
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
More details on the Hertz HCP 5D
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
50 x 4 |
150 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||90 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||180 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-50k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||83 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 / 50-5000 H|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||50 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Hertz HCP 5D is a 5-channel D-class car amplifier that can drive up to two pairs of speakers or subwoofers. It is part of the Hertz Compact Power (HCP) series, that features compact chassis and minimized extruded aluminum heat sinks. Heat is transferred away from the internal components and out to the heat sinks where it is dissipated through the sides of the amp. The HCP 5D has both speaker-level and line-level inputs to accommodate factory and aftermarket head units.
CEA-2006 Power Output: The HCP 5D is compliant with the CEA-2006 Amplifier Power Standard, which makes it easy for consumers to compare amplifier power specs from one brand to another. The amplifier's CEA-2006 ratings include:
- RMS Power (4Ω, ≤ 1% THD+N, 14.4 volts): 70 watts x 4
- S/N Ratio (ref. 1W output): 80 dBA
Hertz Power Output Specs: Hertz publishes the following power output specs:
- RMS Output Power (14.4 volts, THD 1%):
- 4 Channel: 75 watts x 4 (4Ω stereo)
- 4 Channel: 130 watts x 4 (2Ω stereo)
- 3 Channel: 75 watts x 2 (4Ω stereo) + 260 watts x 1 (4Ω bridged)
- 3 Channel: 130 watts x 2 (2Ω stereo) + 260 watts x 1 (4Ω bridged)
- 2 Channel: 260 watts x 2 (4Ω bridged)
- RMS Output Power (14.4 volts, THD 10%)
- 4 Channel: 85 watts x 4 (4Ω stereo)
- 4 Channel: 145 watts x 4 (2Ω stereo)
- 3 Channel: 85 watts x 2 (4Ω stereo) + 290 watts x 1 (4Ω bridged)
- 3 Channel: 145 watts x 2 (2Ω stereo) + 290 watts x 1 (4Ω bridged)
- 2 Channel: 290 watts x 2 (4Ω bridged)
Auto Remote Turn-On (ART): The HCP 5D features ART (Auto Remote Turn-On) which automatically powers on and off the amplifier when an audio signal (or lack of one) is detected on the speaker-level inputs. This is especially helpful when connecting the amplifier to an OEM radio. It eliminates the need for running a remote lead from the head unit to the amp. ART is only available with Speaker Level inputs.
Optional Hertz Remote Control (HRC): The HCP 5D is compatible with the optional HRC remote control. The HRC allows you to adjust the volume down to -50dB or up to 6dB. The rotary control has a detent at 0dB to mark the normal amp output. The HRC comes with a 19.5' cable.
Amplifier Controls: The versatile Hertz HCP 5D has a full array of filters and controls to help you configure your audio system for maximum performance. The controls are located on one end of the amplifier, and include the following:
- Levels: The rotary Level control lets you match the input of the amplifier to the output of your head unit. The amp will accept either line level (RCA) or speaker level (harness) inputs. The sensitivity range is 0.2V to 5V (preamp level) or 0.8V to 20V (speaker level). There are separate Level controls for the Front, Rear, and Sub channels.
- Front Channels: The following controls are for the
- Mode: The front channels can be operated in full range or with a variable high pass filter. This 2-way switch lets you choose Full (no filter) or Hi (high pass, variable from 50 to 5000 Hz).
- Hi Pass: When the Mode switch is set to Hi, this rotary dial lets you set the cut off frequency of the filter between 50 to 5000 Hz. It has a slope of 12dB/octave.
- Bandpass Controls: If the rear filter mode is set to
Band, the front and rear filters combine into a Bandpass Filter for
Woofer/Tweeter components with Low Range (50-500Hz) and High Range
(50-5000Hz). The front "Hi Pass" frequency control becomes the Low Pass
- Range: This 2-way push-button lets you select the range: x1 (50-500Hz) or x10 (50-5000Hz)
- Rear Channels: The following controls are for the rear
- Input: If you are using the Rear In RCA inputs, this button should be pressed in (On position). If in the Off position, the rear channels are fed the signal from the front inputs.
- Hi Pass: This rotary control sets the cut off frequency for the high pass filter (50-500 Hz) on the rear channels, and the high pass frequency for the band pass filter (50-500 Lo or 50-5000 Hi).
- Mode: Three way switch for determining the rear channel crossover type: Full, Hi(pass), or Band(pass).
- Sub Channels: The following controls are for the sub
- Input: If you are connecting the Sub In RCA Inputs, this button should be pressed in (On position). If it's in the Off position, the sub channels are fed the signal from the front inputs.
- Lo Pass: This rotary control sets the cut off frequency for the low pass filter (50-500 Hz)
- Boost: The amp has a variable bass boost at 50 Hz to increase the output of the subwoofer. This rotary control lets you increase the output of the amplifier from 0 to 12dB.
- Subsonic: The Subsonic Filter can be turned on or off with this push-button switch. When pressed in, the Subsonic Filter removes very low, subsonic frequencies (25 Hz and lower) from the speaker outputs to prevent damage to your subwoofers. The Subsonic filter has a 24dB/octave slope.
- Amp Mode: This 2-way push-button lets you choose between 5CH (5-channel) or 3CH (3-channel) mode.
- Bass Boost: The HCP 5D offers a variable bass boost on the rear channel only to increase the output at 50Hz. This rotary control lets you dial in the amount of desired boost up to +12dB.
Connections: The HCP 5D has the following connections:
- Power/Ground/Remote Turn-on: The amplifier is equipped with set-screw type terminals for power, ground, and remote turn-on. The power and ground terminals will accept up to 4 AWG wire, while the remote terminal will accept up to 10 AWG wire. In most cases, 8 AWG power and ground wires are recommended. Typically, an 18 AWG remote turn-on lead is used, unless the Automatic Remote Turn-on (ART) is used. The set screws can be tightened/loosened with the supplied 4mm or 2mm Allen wrenches.
- Fuses: Two 25A ATO (blade type) fuses are installed in the amplifier. Two spare fuses are also included. A 50A fuse should be placed within 18" of the battery on the +12V power wire as well.
- Speaker Outputs: The amp provides set screw terminals for four speakers and one or two subwoofers. The subwoofer channel is mono, and will accept one 2Ω subwoofer or two 4Ω subs. The subwoofer terminals are internally wired in parallel. The set screws can be tightened/loosened with the supplied 2mm Allen wrench.
- RCA Inputs: Three stereo RCA inputs are provided for connecting an aftermarket head unit to the amplifier. For 3-channel (front + sub) or 5-channel operation (woofer + tweeter + sub), left and right RCAs are plugged into the Front In only. The inputs will accept a signal between 0.2V and 5V.
- Speaker Input: The front, rear, and sub speaker inputs, labeled "Hi In," have 4-pin female Molex connectors. The source unit's speaker wires (L/R Front and L/R Rear) should be spliced to the Speaker Input harnesses. The included harnesses are 7" in length and have a male 4-pin Molex plug. The speaker inputs will accept a signal between 0.8V and 20V.
- Remote Control: The optional HRC (Hertz Remote Control) allows you to adjust the output volume of the amplifier from the dashboard. The amplifier has a removable 2-pin Euroblock connector. The 2 wires at the end of the HRC cable connect to the screw terminals on the Euroblock connector. A small flat-head screwdriver is needed to tighten/loosen the screws on the connector.
- Power Supply: 11-15 Volts DC
- Idling Current: 2A (on); 0.04 mA (off)
- Consumption (2Ω, 14.4V Max Musical Power): 30A
- Remote In: 7-15 Volts DC / 1mA
- Frequency Bandwidth (Front/Rear): 10Hz to 50kHz
- Frequency Bandwidth (Sub): 10Hz to 500Hz
- Distortion - THD (100Hz at 4Ω): 0.02%
- S/N Ratio (A-weighted at 1V): 100dB
- Damping Factor (100Hz at 4Ω)(Front/Rear): 100
- Damping Factor (100Hz at 4Ω)(Sub): 250