About the LIFX Z LED Strip Starter Kit
Lighten things up
Lighten things up
I couldn't believe what a difference it made when I added a colorful LED strip behind my TV. I mean — it massively improved my nighttime viewing experience and really lessened my eye fatigue. Plus, it's just fun to have that pop of color for movie nights.
This starter kit has everything you need to paint your room with colorful light. There's a power supply, in-line controller, and two 3.3-foot sections of LED strip which combine to make a 6.6-foot length of flexible lighting that can bend around corners. And, of course, they don't have to be backlighting. They can be uplighting, downlighting, or even sidelighting, because the thin self-adhesive strip can go almost anywhere. Tuck it under cabinets in the kitchen or behind the headboard to add ambiance to your bedroom.
Choose from loads of presets or create your own color scheme in the LIFX app.
Convenient app control
The starter kit connects directly to your Wi-Fi so there's no need for a hub. Each strip has eight individually controllable zones, and you can adjust the brightness and color of each zone using the free LIFX app. Choose from all sorts of presets or save your own favorite formulas using your choice of 16 million colors and loads of cool to warm shades of white.
You can also use the app to set lighting schedules — including on-off, fade, and color changes.
Or use your voice
The strip works with most of the major voice assistants, too, so you can control it hands-free whether you use Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, or Siri. That means you can turn it on or off, dim it, and recall your favorite presets just by asking.
- starter kit contains controller, power supply, and two 3.3-foot LED strips
- expandable up to 32.8 feet with additional strips (sold separately)
- choose from 16 million colors and blended white light to match any mood or event
- Polychrome Technology™ allows 8 adjustable zones per strip
- adhesive-backed for attaching to wall or other flat surfaces
- adjustable brightness up to 700 lumens per strip
- color temperature range: 2500K to 9000K
- works with your Wi-Fi — no hub required
- control with the free LIFX app for Apple® and Android™
- operate lights when you are away from home
- create on-off, fade, and color-change schedules
- create and save scenes and effects
- compatible with voice assistant devices (sold separately):
- rated at 17 watts at full brightness
- expected life span: 22.8 years
- requires 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi router
- 8.2-foot power cable with in-line controller
- each strip measures 3-5/16"L x 1/16"W (two strips included)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # LZHC2M1USUC07
What's in the box:
- Two 3.3' LED light strips
- LED power supply (DC output: 24V 1.25A)
- LED Controller with attached 17" and 80" cables
- US 2-prong AC plug adapter
- Setup instructions
- Surface cleaning wipe
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the LIFX Z LED Strip Starter Kit
Overview: The Lifx Z LED Light Strip Starter Kit is a Wi-Fi-controlled smart LED light strip with a variable color output. This Starter Kit consists of two 3.3' LED light strip sections, a Wi-Fi controller, and a power cable. The sections connect together end-to-end to make a 6.6' (2-meter) colorful LED light strip. Up to 10 LED strip sections can be connected together for a total of 33 feet (10 meters). The Lifx Z LED Light Strip is for indoor use only.
Customizable Zones: Lifx's exclusive Polychrome Technology™ lets you create blended light within a single unit. Each Z LED Light Strip section has 8 addressable zones for a total of 16 areas (in this kit) with exclusive effects and 16-million colors.
Brightness: The Lifx Z puts out 1400 lumens total (for the 2-meter starter kit) which is equivalent to a 90-watt incandescent bulb. If you string together the maximum 10 meters, the maximum light output is 2800 lumens. You can choose from up to 16-million colors and blended white light with a color temperature range of 2500K to 9000K. The Z light strips are dimmable down to 1% through the Lifx app and voice control through many of the leading voice assistants. The Lifx app also lets you set a schedule to turn the light or off for convenience and security. The Z is an energy saver, consuming only 17 Watts at full brightness (for both sections) with an estimated energy cost of $1.92 per year. This long-lasting light has an estimated life span of 22.8 years.
Installation: The flexible LED Light Strips are adhesive-backed for mounting them onto virtual any surface, flat or curved. The strips plug together end-to-end with a 4-pin electrical connection. The included LED Controller, which houses the Wi-Fi receiver, has nearly 8 feet of cable from the AC adapter to the Z's power connector.
Wi-Fi: Lifx light products connect via Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) and need no hub or bridge. The Lifx Z LED Light Strip only supports 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi networks. It is protected by WPA and WPA2 security. Each Lifx light bulb in your system can be named, with the location identified, and placed into a group. The Lifx app is required to control any of the Lifx bulbs.
Lifx Z Specifications:
- Brightness: 1400 Lumens (700 per strip)
- Wattage Use: 17 Watts (for 2 strips) at full brightness; < 0.5 Watts at standby
- Voltage Range: AC 100-240V, 50/60 Hz
- Beam Angle: 120°
- Included Length: 2 meters
- Maximum Length: 10 meters
- Color Temperature: 2500 to 9000K
- Dimming*: via software only (app or voice only); 1% to 100%
- Estimated LED Lifespan: 22.8 years (based on 3 hours usage per day average)
- Dimensions (individual sections): Length 3.3', Width 0.483", Height 0.149"
- Weight (individual section): 1.55 ounces
* The strip is not compatible with phase-cut dimmers.
Lifx App: You can control all of your Lifx lighting products through the Lifx app, available for iOS (12.0 or later), watchOS (6.0 or later), or Android (version varies with device). You can group together all of the lights in each room and control them individually or as a group. The app offers the following controls:
- Dashboard: The Dashboard on the Home Screen provides shortcuts for controlling a whole group with a slider, or expand to control individual lights in a group. You can use a Lifx photo to represent each room, if desired.
- Schedules: You can automate your lights to fade, change color, or turn on or off using the calendar-style view. Settings can be configured for different times of the day, including "Day" and "Dusk." If you're going to be away from home, you can set irregular schedules to simulate occupancy.
- Themes: You can choose from a wide variety of color combinations for a group with one click.
- Scenes: You can set the lighting in each room for different activities or moods, then save it for later use. Typical scenes include Movie, Wake-up, Bedtime, and Party.
- Color: With color-capable bulbs, you can choose different colors to set a mood or "paint" your room with light. Colors can be chosen from a huge palette and saved to the app. If you have Lifx Z, Beam, Tile, or Candle lights, you can "paint" with your finger in the app to apply color to each area of your room.
- Effects: Not only can you choose a color or brightess, the Effects page of the app puts your lights into motion, with special effect such as the music visualizer, fire, move, candle flicker, strobe, color cycle, and more.
Voice Assistant Compatible: Lifx bulbs work with many of the leading Voice Assistants, including Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, as well as Microsoft Cortana and Siri (through Apple HomeKit). These Voice Assistants allow you to use your voice to turn on, turn off, dim, brighten, change colors, and much more. In addition, Lifx can be added to digital services such as IFTTT (If This Then That) to integrate your lights with other apps, such as the Weather Channel, Twitter, Facebook, and even location services to perform specific actions in response to a specific event. Other compatible integration services include Nest, Razer, Flic, Brilliant, Xfinity, Samsung SmartThings, and Yonomi.