About the Samsung 40H5003
Beautiful picture quality, modest price tag
Beautiful picture quality, modest price tag
If you're in the market for an eye-grabbing TV for a bedroom or den, the Samsung H5003 gives you great performance at a reasonable price. It delivers a crisp, detailed 1080p picture that handles movies, sports, and games with ease. The LED backlighting combines snappy picture contrast without using a lot of power. The thin black bezel gives you an elegant, classy look.
Easily connect your high-definition sources
This TV's connections give you access to a wide range of digital content. You get a pair of HDMI inputs for hooking up sources like your Blu-ray player, cable box, or streaming media player. Or load up a thumb drive with your photos or home movies and pop it into the TV's USB input to watch a slideshow of your latest vacation.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV. Shop our selection of HDMI cables to find the right one for you.
- 39.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, black bezel and cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- LED backlight for high picture contrast
- 60Hz refresh rate
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
- remote control
Connections and Dimensions:
- 3 A/V inputs, including:
- 2 HDMI inputs
- 1 component video input (selectable component/composite)
- USB input for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output
- no analog audio output
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 21-5/8"W x 9-13/16"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included) VESA 200 x 200
- 36-1/8"W x 21"H x 3-3/4"D (23-3/8"H x 9"D on stand)
- weight: 21.2 lbs. with stand; 16.8 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor with in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 40H5003
What's in the box:
Samsung 40H5003 owner's manual
- 40" LED-LCD TV
- 5' AC power cord
- Pedestal base
- Pedestal neck
- Wireless remote control (AA59-0066A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Self-adhesive wire stand
- Eight 4mm x 12mm screws
- User Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Stand Assembly Instructions
- Important Safety Precautions
- DIRECTV brochure
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
Samsung 40H5003 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Samsung 40H5003
Features & specs
LED Direct-Lit: Direct-Lit LED backlight technology bridges the gap between lower-cost CCFL (fluorescent) LCD TVs and newer edge-lit LED-LCD TVs. Samsung's Direct-Lit LED-LCD televisions feature LEDs positioned all the way across the LCD panel's back plane (instead of along the side). Unlike "Full-Array" backlight LED-LCD televisions that also feature LEDs positioned along the LCD panel's back plane, the Direct-Lit LED technology uses fewer LEDs and do not offer local dimming. Since there are fewer LEDs, the LCD panel's back plane must be moved farther away from the screen to provide adequate light coverage across the LCD panel, making the TV much deeper than an edge-lit LED-LCD television. Direct-Lit LED backlight technology offers a better picture and is more energy efficient than previous CCFL (fluorescent) LCD televisions, though it requires a much larger cabinet design than newer edge-lit LED-LCD TVs.
- Wide Color Enhancer Plus: With Wide Color Enhancer Plus, you'll witness a wider spectrum of colors on the TV screen, just like the director intended. You'll enjoy enriched colors while watching your favorite movies, and shows, even if it's older, non-HD content.
- Motion Lighting: The TV automatically adjust the brightness of the screen in response to the brightness of the room. In bright light, the screen brightens. In dim light, the screen dims.
- Motion Rate 60: The Samsung LED-LCD TV features a native refresh rate of 60Hz.
1080p Resolution: The LED-LCD television displays all inputs at a resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080). The television's HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals.
Video Inputs: The Samsung LED-LCD TV offers high-definition and standard definition video inputs.
- HDMI (v.1.3): The Samsung H5003 series LED-LCD TV features two HDMI 1.3 inputs. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV.
- Component Video: The Samsung H5003 series LED-LCD TV features a single component video input. The TV's component video input can also be used as a composite video input (480i only).
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
Picture Control: You can make the following adjustments for an optimum picture. You can adjust and store Picture Settings for each external device connected to the TV or apply the settings to all inputs and sources.
- Picture Sizes: You can choose one of the following screen sizes - 16:9 (widescreen format), Zoom 1/2 (magnifies 16:9 image vertically), Wide Fit (enlarges the aspect ratio to fit entire screen), 4:3 (4:3 mode), Screen Fit (displays full image without any cutoff), and Custom (magnify or shrink 16:9 images vertically and horizontally).
- Picture Modes: Picture Modes apply preset adjustments to the picture. Select from Dynamic( increases the brightness of the screen), Standard (suitable for a normal environment), Natural (useful for reducing eye strain), or Movie (darkens the screen and reduces glare), or Entertain (sharpens images for a more dynamic viewing experience; only available when connected to a computer).
- Manual Picture Settings: The TV has several options for manually adjusting the picture quality. Manually adjust Backlight (adjusts the brightness of the LED backlight), Contrast (increases or decreases the contrast between dark and light areas of the picture), Brightness (adjusts the brightness level of the picture) Sharpness (sharpens or dulls the edges of objects), Color (adjusts the color saturation of the picture), and Tint (adjusts the amount of green and red in a picture).
- Picture Options: Additional picture options provide you with an even better viewing experience. Make adjustments to Color Tone (adjusts the overall color tone of the televisions using Cool/Normal/Warm 1/Warm 2 presets), Digital Clean View (reduces any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen), MPEG Noise Filter (reduces MPEG noise to provide an improved picture), & HDMI Black Level (adjusts the screen depth via black levels).
- Film & Game Modes: The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture from optimum quality. Film mode is supported in TV, AV, Component (480i/1080i), and HDMI (480i/1080i). Game mode provides a more realistic gaming experience.
PIP (Picture-in-Picture): You can watch the TV's tuner and one external video source (component/HDMI) simultaneously). The component/HDMI source will be displayed as the main picture, while the TV channel will be displayed in a sub-screen, while which can be moved to each corner of the television's screen. You can switch the audio between the main screen and sub-screen.
DTS TruSurround: DTS TruSurround is a patented DTS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. DTS TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including the internal television speakers. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats.
5-Band EQ + Sound Modes: You can manually adjusts the TV's built-in 5-band EQ (100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz) for a more customized sound; or simply choose from the following Preset Sound Modes - Standard (normal mode), Music (music mode), Movie (movie mode), Clear Voice (emphasizes voices), and Amplify (increases clarity for people who have difficulty hearing).
Audio Extras: The Samsung TV offers a variety of audio adjustments to meet your listening needs.
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.
- Audio Delay: The Audio Delay function corrects audio/video mismatch, when watching TV or video, and listening to a digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver. You can adjust the audio delay from 0ms to 250 ms.
- Picture Off: You can turn the television's screen off and still listen to audio.
Digital Audio Output: The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, and USB ports on the LED-LCD TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo or a matrixed 5.1ch signal (DTS Neo 2:5) from sources connected to the TV via HDMI or RCA.
Wireless Remote: The supplied IR remote control is designed for wireless operation of this Samsung LED-LCD television only. This remote control has Braille points on the Power, Channel Up/Down, and Volume Up/Down, and #5 buttons for the visually impaired.
USB Port: The television is equipped with one USB (type-A) port. The USB port can accept a USB mass-storage-class device (5V/0.5A). The USB port lets you view photo and movie files, as well as listen to audio files saved on a compatible USB msc device; like your Android smartphone/tablet (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) or USB thumbdrive. Files must be formatted in FAT, exFAT, or NTFS. The TV can recognize up to 2,000 files and folders.
- Video Playback: The TV supports playback of AVI, Divx, H.264, & MPEG movie files stored onto USB. Movie files are displayed in a folder and title list in either date or alphabetical order. The TV offers Play, Pause, Search, and Resume playback functions for compatible video files stored on a compatible USB device.
- Still Image Playback: The TV will display JPEG still-images via USB. Still image files can be viewed as a slide show with background music or as a thumbnail view (up to 15 images). Still images can also viewed full-screen and zoomed or rotated.
- Audio Playback: The TV supports music file playback of MP3, WMA, & AAC music files stored onto USB. Music files are displayed in a folder and track list, and can be sorted by Artist, Album, or Genre. Music files can be repeated or shuffled in a selected folder.
Program Rating Lock: The Program Rating Lock feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children. You can block TV program based on their ratings and Movies based on their MPAA rating, so you have more control over what your children watch. The Program Rating Lock function is protected by a 4-digit PIN.
Hearing & Visually Impaired: The Samsung H5003 series LED-LCD TV offers Close Captions and an Audio Guide for the hearing and visually impaired. .
- Close Captions (CC): The TV provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size. The Caption feature does not work for Component and HDMI input sources.
- Audio Guide: Activate the audio guide for the visually impaired. This is only available with broadcasts that provide this service.
ENERGY STAR Compliant with ECO Settings: The Samsung LED-LCD TV is ENERGY STAR compliant and provides ECO settings to reduce the TV's power consumption and cut-down on energy costs.
- Eco Sensor: Samsung's unique Eco light sensor measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you energy.
- Energy Saver: This feature adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to High, Medium, Low, or Picture Off (sound remains on).
- No Signal Standby: The TV will automatically switch to standby mode, if no picture is being received for a predetermined set amount of time (15, 30, or 60 minutes).
- Auto Power Off: The TV will be automatically turn off after 4 hours of being left idle to prevent overheating.
Timers: The Samsung H5003 series LED-LCD TV offers On/Off and Sleep timers for your convenience.
- On/Off Timer: The three On/Off timers allow you to program the television to turn itself on and off by selecting a specific on time and a specific off time. An On/off timer can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun. You can also choose the On Timer's content (TV, USB, or Antenna) and volume. The on and off timers work independently of one another.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minutes.
- Auto Protection Time: If the screen remains idle with a still image for a certain period of time (2, 4, 8, 10 hours) defined by the user, the TV's built-in screen saver is activated to prevent the formation of host images on the screen.
Self Diagnosis: The Samsung H5203 series LED-LCD TV also provides a Self Diagnosis menu which allows you to check the television for picture, sound, and signal problems.
- Picture Test: Use to check for picture problems. If the problem appears in the test picture, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Sound Test: Use the built-in melody sound to check for sound problems. If the problem occurs during the test, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Signal Test: An HD digital channel's reception quality is either perfect or the channels are unavailable. Adjust your antenna to increase signal strength.
Pedestal Stand: The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached. The pedestal stand attaches to the television using the supplied hardware. The pedestal stand does not swivel. The television weighs 21.1 lbs with the stand.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is 200mm (h) x 200mm (v). The threaded inserts require M6 (6mm) machine screws (not supplied). The television weighs 16.7 lbs without the stand.Ventilation: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Samsung H5003 series LED-LCD TV comes with a 5' detachable AC power cord. The AC power cord sits 0.1875" out from the rear-panel. The AC power cord is fitted with a right-angle AC plug that sits 0.8125" from the wall.
Kensington Lock: When mounting the monitor in a public place, you can secure it with an optional anti-theft device called a Kensington Lock (sold separately). This TV has a slot on the rear-panel to accommodate a Kensington Lock device.
2 questions already asked
Great midsize for condo or apartment. Color contrast is good, sound unusually good for a flat screen. Even a lower priced Samsung beats most other brands in quality of picture and build quality. You can not go wrong with this set for bedroom or small den or living room.
Daniel E. from Wilmington, NC