About the Samsung UN65JU7100
The beauty of trickle-down TV technology
The beauty of trickle-down TV technology
Sleek and skinny on the outside, Samsung's UN65JU7100 comes loaded with breakthrough TV technology — much of it borrowed from the company's elite-and-expensive SUHD TVs. Now that 4K Ultra HD TV is firmly established as the standard for next-generation TV, Samsung has focused on giving you more ways to experience an eye-popping 4K viewing experience.
Samsung gives you the most 4K viewing options
Right now, the best option for watching 4K content is web streaming. The UN65JU7100 includes “HEVC” decoding, so it can display the streamed 4K movies and TV series available from Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video with no additional gear needed. All of the set's HDMI inputs support HDCP 2.2 copy protection, which means you'll be able to enjoy 4K sources like Ultra HD Blu-ray movies when they arrive in early 2016. And this TV will be ready for what's coming further in the future, thanks to Samsung's One Connect Mini hub, which provides a goof-proof way to upgrade the TV's connections.
True 4K content will continue to be scarce for a while, but that won't keep you from enjoying a remarkable picture. Samsung made 4K upconversion a top priority as they developed the video processing circuitry for the UN65JU7100. Their UHD Upscaling automatically upconverts any signal to match the screen's 4K resolution. All of your current video sources — Blu-ray player, cable or satellite TV box, game console — will look better than ever.
A Smart TV that's smarter than most
Samsung's Smart Hub offers easy navigation and quick access to apps from a single screen.
This TV's brain is a Quad-Core processor that lets you browse the web without having to interrupt what you're watching. Besides surfing the web you can do things like multitask or use one app while downloading another. Whether your connection is wired or wireless, you can do a quick web search while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online. Samsung's on-board selection of streaming video and music apps is second to none.
The AllShare™ Play feature lets you wirelessly access and stream content from any compatible device. If you own a Samsung Galaxy smartphone or Tab, you can share movies, photos, and music via the UN65JU7100. Your Wi-Fi® network lets you do things like "toss" photos from your phone or tablet to the screen with the swipe of a finger. Or push streaming video like Netflix movies from device to screen.
Sending content from your phone to your TV is cool, and going TV-to-phone can be even cooler. Just download Samsung's Smart View app and use the TV View feature to mirror whatever's on the UN65JU7100's screen on your Galaxy phone or Tab. You can leave the room anytime without leaving your entertainment behind.
- 64.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, brushed silver bezel, Brushed Silver Slim T-Shape stand
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- HEVC/VP9 decoding for watching streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- DIRECTV 4K Ready DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
- 3D-ready TV (active 3D glasses sold separately)
- direct-lit LED backlight with UHD Dimming and Precision Black local dimming for excellent contrast and black levels
- Peak Illuminator for enhanced brightness
- Motion Rate 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- UHD Upscaling upconverts high-definition and standard-definition video content
- PlayStation™Now PS3™ game streaming (subscription and controller not included; details here)
- Internet-ready Smart TV with built-in web browser
- fast 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- Quad-Core processor for seamless web browsing and app multitasking
- AllShare video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
- 2-way screen mirroring send content wirelessly from device-to-TV or TV-to-device with compatible smartphones and tablets
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- USB 3.0 input for connecting to Samsung's UHD media player
- component video input (selectable component/composite)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- stereo minijack output for connecting a sound bar or home stereo system
- built-in down-firing speakers (10 watts x 2)
- Smart Touch remote with built-in microphone for voice control
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 39-1/4"W x 11-11/16"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 57-5/8"W x 33-1/4"H x 2-7/8"D (35-5/16"H x 11-11/16"D on stand)
- weight: 61.9 lbs. with stand; 52.5 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
One Connect Mini Features:
- 4 HDMI 2.0a (all inputs are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources)
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- 2 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- 7-3/8"W x 13/16"H x 4-3/4"D (depth includes connector plug)
- 6-1/2-ft. proprietary cable for connecting Mini to TV
- MFR # UN65JU7100FXZA
What's in the box:
- 65" LED-LCD TV
- 5' AC power cord
- Pedestal base
- Pedestal neck
- One Connect Mini
- 6.5' Proprietary cable
- Smart Touch remote control (BN59-01220A)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 3.5mm-to-composite/stereo AV adapter
- 3.5mm-to-component video adapter
- Eight 4mm x 14mm screws
- User Manual
- Setup Guide
- Important Safety Precautions
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
Samsung UN65JU7100 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung UN65JU7100
Features & specs
Precision Black (Local Dimming) + Peak Illuminator: Precision Black Local Dimming dims LEDs in specific zones behind the darkest area of the picture for greater contrast and darker blacks, while the brighter elements remain as bright as they should be for sharper contrast. The Samsung Television's Peak Illuminator lets you experience all your favorite movies, games and TV shows with improved detail and color with increased LED illumination behind the brightest regions of the picture.
Ultra-Clear Pro Panel: The Samsung Ultra Clear Pro Panel absorbs ambient light, reduces reflections and lets the picture come to life. It displays deeper blacks and enhanced contrast for crystal clarity and reduces glare, so you can see clearly and enjoy more detail. In addition, proprietary Samsung Wide Color and Contrast Enhancer technologies offer greater contrast and more colors.
- Wide Color Enhancer: With Wide Color Enhancer Plus, you'll witness a wider spectrum of colors on the TV screen, just like the director intended. You'll enjoy enriched colors while watching your favorite movies, and shows, even if it's older, non-HD content.
- Contrast Enhancer: The TV's Contrast Enhancer lets you experience a greater sense of depth with optimized contrast across multiple zones of the screen.
Auto Motion 240: The Samsung UHD TV combines its 120Hz native panel refresh rate with Samsung's proprietary Auto Motion 240 image processing technology, which is faster and more responsive than conventional image processors, as it interpolates intermediate frames to smooth out the image. Auto Motion 240 helps to remove blur and judder from scenes with large amounts of rapid movement to provide a clearer picture. Auto Motion 240 reduces blur so that action movies, sports and video games have enhanced clarity. Advanced panels and unique backlight technology combine with proprietary algorithms to reduce the response time and yield a more accurate image reproduction with faster onscreen motion. Auto Motion 240 can be set to Clear, Standard, Smooth, Custom, or Off.
Ultra-HD 4K Resolution: The Samsung UHD series LED-LCD TV has a display resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (4K) and will display all video at that resolution; regardless of input signal. 4K provides 4x higher resolution than current 1080p high-definition TVs, ensuring a truly immersive experience for all your favorite movies and TV shows.
- HEVC/VP9 Decoder: The UHD TV even offers "HEVC/H.265 & VP9" decoding, which means it'll be able to display 4K content from online movie & TV show providers (like Netflix, Amazon, & YouTube).
- UHD Upscaling: UHD Upscaling delivers the complete Ultra-HD picture experience with a proprietary process including signal analysis, noise reduction, UHD upscaling, and detail enhancement to seamlessly upconvert SD, HD, or full-HD content to Ultra-HD-level picture quality.
One Connect Mini: The UHD TV includes Samsung's One Connect Mini which connects to the television via a single 6.5' proprietary cable. Connectivity is found on both the One Connect Mini and the televisions. The One Connect Mini is fitted with the TV's four HDMI inputs, two USB 2.0 ports, and optical digital output. The RF-coaxial input, analog audio/video connections, Ethernet jack, and USB 3.0 port are found on the TV. The One Connect Mini provides clean integration of all your external devices so there's less clutter.
- HDMI 2.0: The Samsung UHD TV features four HDMI 2.0
inputs to connect to your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, or
AV receiver. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this
TV. The television's HDMI inputs will accept 3,840 x 2,160 (24/60Hz), 1080p
(24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the TV's HDMI inputs; HDCP is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All four HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). 4:2:2 (30/60fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) are also supported by all HDMI inputs. With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. You must enable 4:4:4 & 4:2:2 color subsampling by turning on the "UHD Color" setting within the TV's on-screen menu.
- Analog Video: The Samsung LED-LCD TV features a single component video input which will accept 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals. The TV also features one composite video input which support up to 480i only. The component and composite video inputs share an audio input. These analog audio/video inputs consist of a 3.5mm AV input that include a 3.5mm-to-component video adapter and a 3.5mm-to-composite video/stereo RCA adapter.
Note: The TV feature a single RF-type coaxial input for connecting an external indoor/outdoor antenna. The unit has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals (up to 1080i).
HDR (High Dynamic Range) Update: Samsung will be issuing a firmware update that will enable its 2015 UHD TVs to support HDMI 2.0a and input a High Dynamic Range (HDR) video signal from external devices (such as Ultra-HD Blu-ray players). Even though the 2015 UHD TVs will be able to input HDR video, they will not be able to truly display all of the benefits of HDR. You'll want to upgrade to one of Samsung's SUHD TVs to take full advantage of HDR video.
HDMI (MHL) Port: The HDMI 3 port is designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the TV's HDMI 3 (MHL) port using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display full 1080p video and still images on the Samsung TV from your mobile smartphone. The TV's IR remote can be used to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop Fast Forward/Rewind, and Menu navigation). Your MHL compliant device will also charge while connected to the TV's HDMI 3 port. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org.
Ultra-HD 3D: With Ultra-HD 3D you get 4x the resolution of Full HD 1080p while watching 3D. The TV utilizes Bluetooth-enabled active shutter glasses (sold separately) for an ultra 4K 3D viewing experience when coupled with a 3D source, such as a 3D-ready Blu-ray player or an HD 3D broadcast from satellite or cable providers (connected via HDMI 2.0). The Samsung UHD TV automatically adjusts the overall picture to provide an optimal 3D effect. The Samsung 3D TV also offers a unique feature that allows you to intensify your 2D viewing experience by up-converting it to virtual 3D. In addition, you can adjust the overall 3D perspective, 3D image depth, and 3D brightness.
Multi-Link Screens: The Samsung UHD TV supports multi-screen view through Quad Screen or PIP.
- Quad Screen: Using Quad Screen, you can view four independent screens at once through this TV. You'll be able to enjoy live TV, video clips, and the web all at once. For example; you can watch your favorite golf tournament on one screen and search the web for current standings on another. Then watch a video tutorial to master your swing while navigating your Smart TV panel on the fourth screen. Using Quad Screen requires an Internet connection. You can listen to audio from one of the split-screens through the TVs speakers and audio from another split-screen through a pair of Bluetooth-paired headphones (sold separately). Certain TV features and apps may not be supported by Multi-Link Screen. <
- PIP (Picture-in-Picture): You can watch the TV's tuner and one external video source (component/HDMI) simultaneously). The component/HDMI source will be displayed as the main picture, while the TV channel will be displayed in a sub-screen, while which can be moved to each corner of the television's screen. You can switch the audio between the main screen and sub-screen.
Picture Control: You can make the following adjustments for an optimum picture.
- Picture Sizes: You can choose one of the following screen sizes - 16:9 (16:9 widescreen format), 4:3 (4:3 standard format), Zoom (magnifies 16:9 pictures vertically), or Custom (magnifies or shrink 16:9 pictures vertically and/or horizontally). The Picture size is fixed for video and still images displayed natively in 3840 x 2160 (4K).
- Picture Modes: Picture Modes apply preset adjustments to the picture. Select from Dynamic( increases the brightness of the screen), Standard( suitable for a normal environment), Natural (useful for reducing eye strain), or Movie (darkens the screen and reduces glare), or Entertain (sharpens images for a more dynamic viewing experience; only available when connected to a computer).
- Manual Picture Settings: The TV has several options for manually adjusting the picture quality. Manually adjust Backlight (adjusts the brightness of the LED backlight), Contrast (increases or decreases the contrast between dark and light areas of the picture), Brightness (adjusts the brightness level of the picture) Sharpness (sharpens or dulls the edges of objects), Color (adjusts the color saturation of the picture), and Tint (adjusts the amount of green and red in a picture).
- Advanced Picture Settings: The TV also offers more advanced picture adjustments for fine tuning. Fine tune the Dynamic Contrast (adjusts the screen contrast for optimal contrast), Black Tone (adjusts the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth), Flesh Tone (adjusts the amount of red in skin tones), RGB (displays the Red/Green/Blue color for making find adjustments to the hue and saturation), Color Space (adjusts the range of colors available to create the image), White Balance (adjusts the color temperature for more natural picture colors), and Gamma (adjusts the primary color red/green/blue intensity).
- Picture Options: Additional picture options provide you with an even better viewing experience. Make adjustments to Color Tone ( adjusts the overall color tone of the televisions using Cool/Normal/Warm 1/Warm 2 presets), Digital Clean View (reduces any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen), MPEG Noise Filter (reduces MPEG noise to provide an improved picture), HDMI Black Level (adjusts the screen depth via black levels), LED Clear Motion (removes drag from fast scenes with a lot of movement to provide a clear picture), and Smart LED (controls the brightness of individual areas on the screen to maximize contrast automatically).
- Film & Sports Modes: The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture from optimum quality. Film mode is supported in TV, AV, Component (480i/1080i), and HDMI (1080i). The television can also be set to Sports mode which optimizes viewing for a more realistic sporting event.
BD Wise+: BD Wise Plus provides the optimal picture quality for Samsung DVD, Blu-ray, and Home Theater products which support BD Wise or BD Wise Plus. When BD Wise PLus is set to On, the TV's picture mode is automatically changed to the optimal resolution.
DTS Premium & Studio Sound: The Samsung LED-LCD TV employs DTS Premium & Studio Sound processing which will decode DTS-encoded content, such as TV programming, Blu-ray movies, and streaming media, as well as processes stereo content to deliver an optimized virtual surround sound experience with enhanced bass response, clear dialog, and consistent volume levels through the TV speakers.
- Virtual Surround: The TV delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through its two-speaker system.
- Dialog Clarity: This function allows you to increase the intensity of a voice over background music or sound effects so that dialog can be heard more clearly.
Note: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Wall-Mount" or "Stand" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
5-Band EQ + Sound Modes: You can manually adjusts the TV's built-in 5-band EQ (100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz) for a more customized sound; or simply choose from the following Preset Sound Modes - Standard (normal mode), Music (music mode), Movie (movie mode), Clear Voice (emphasizes voices), and Amplify (increases clarity for people who have difficulty hearing).
Audio Extras: The Samsung TV offers a variety of audio adjustments to meet your listening needs.
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.
- Audio Delay: The Audio Delay function corrects audio/video mismatch, when watching TV or video, and listening to a digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver. You can adjust the audio delay from 0ms to 250 ms.
- Picture Off: You can turn the television's screen off and still listen to audio.
Audio Outputs: The Samsung LED-LCD television provides an analog and digital audio output.
- Digital Audio (Dolby Digital/DTS): The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, and USB ports on the LED-LCD TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo or a matrixed 5.1ch signal (DTS Neo 2:5) from sources connected to the TV via RCA.
- Analog Audio: The television features a 3.5mm (minijack) audio output for connecting the television to an analog 2-channel receiver. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your soundbar speaker or AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminals will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 4 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, HDMI inputs, network connection, and USB ports can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. Analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 4 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Wireless Audio Connectivity: The Samsung TV provides wireless connectivity to compatible Samsung SoundShare soundbar speaker systems and Samsung SoundConnect wireless multi-room speaker systems. You can also wirelessly stream audio from the TV to a set of Bluetooth headphones or a single Bluetooth audio speaker.
- SoundShare: The TV is compatible with the SoundShare feature found on some Samsung active soundbar speaker systems (sold separately). SoundShare makes a wireless connection between the TV and the speaker system via Bluetooth. Once the two are paired, you can control the volume and mute the sound by using the remote control from the TV or the speaker system. If you change the soundbar speaker system from TV mode to another mode or turn it off, the TV audio will resume playing from the TV's speakers.
- SoundConnect: This TV is compatible with the SoundConnect feature found on Samsung's wireless multiroom audio speakers (sold separately). With SoundConnect, you can wirelessly connect the TV to multiple Samsung wireless speakers throughout your home for a multiroom experience.
- Bluetooth HP: Thanks to the TV's built-in Bluetooth, you can pair a single set of Bluetooth headphones or one Bluetooth speaker with the Samsung television. You are able to stream audio from any of the the TV's built-in sources or connected sources. The TV's built-in speakers and audio outputs will be deactivated when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speaker. During Bluetooth connection, the TV's volume control is disabled and all volume control is done through your Bluetooth headphones or speaker.
Note: The SoundShare, SoundConnect, and Bluetooth HP feature cannot be used simultaneously.
Samsung's Quad-Core Processor: Samsung's Quad-Core processing speeds allow you to perform multiple tasks at the same time, such as using an app while downloading another one. It also enables extremely faster web browsing and application access. Quad-Core eliminates lag to give you a fluid browsing experience. It enables you to switch between apps, stream content, and multi-task much faster. This extra power also provides faster page refreshing.
Network Connection: You can set up the Samsung UHD series LED-LCD TV so that it can access your home network and online Samsung Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (built-in WiFi).
- Wired (Ethernet): The TV contains an RJ-45 Ethernet jack for a wired network connection. You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually.
- Wireless (WiFi): The TV is IEEE 802.11ac WiFi certified You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods; Automatic, Manual, WPS (PBC), or WPS (PIN). The TV's built-in WiFi supports WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), or WPA2-PSK network security.
Note: A dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router or better is recommended For 4K streaming. Samsung recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
TV Apps: Once you have connected the Samsung TV to your home network, you gain access to TV Apps. TV Apps let you download online applications and services (fees may apply) to the Samsung UHD series LED-LCD TV. You can enjoy a variety of content from various downloaded applications; such as videos, music, and news. TV Apps has a growing collection online applications that connect you to some of your favorite online content. Visit Samsung's TV App Store for a complete list of available Samsung Apps. Pre-installed apps include (more on the way):
- Movies & TV Shows: Watch movies and TV shows on Netflix, Vudu, HuluPlus, Amazon Instant Video, HBO-GO, & CinemaNow.
- Music & Radio: Listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora.
- Social Networking: Share what's on your mind using social networking services, like Twitter. YouTube on Samsung TV lets you search and view different genres of video from music to news to sports.
- News & Information: Get updated with the top stories of the day from BBC News.
- Cartoons & Games: Check out your favorite characters in fun new adventures on ToonsTV. Plus get access to a variety of games, including PlayStation Now games without the need for a console.
Note: The Link Service Accounts function lets you link your player to your accounts with Internet services so that the player can log you into the service automatically when you start the app for that service.
4K Network Streaming: This Ultra-HD TV even offers "HEVC/H.265 & VP9" decoding, which means it'll be able to display 4K content from online movie & TV show providers (like Amazon Instant Video, Netflix & YouTube). 4K network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N or better router for 4K streaming. Make sure the Samsung television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
Web Browser: You can surf the Internet on the TV as you would on a PC, even while watching a TV program using PIP. You may enter a URL addresses or enter a keyword search. The player will archive your web browser history. For a more convenient web browsing experience, connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (sold separately) to the TV. The web browser may not be able to access certain websites.
Note: The browsing experience, however, may not be the same as it is on your computer. The Web Browser is not compatible with Flash video and Java applications. E-commerce, for purchasing products online is not supported. ActiveX is not supported.
Wireless Mobile Device Connectivity: The Samsung UHD series TV allows wireless integration with your wireless network devices via WiFi Direct, AllShare Cast, and AllShare DLNA.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Samsung UHD series LED-LCD TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
- AllShare Cast Screen Mirroring: AllShare Cast is a proprietary "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible AllShare Cast Samsung mobile device to your TV. This allows you to view pictures and videos that are playing on your compatible Samsung smartphone or tablet on your TV screen. No wireless router or access point required.
- AllShare/DLNA Certified: The Samsung LED-LCD TV's AllShare function, along with its DLNA Certification allow you to watch videos (Divx/AVI/H.264/MPEG/MKV/MOV/WMV), photos (JPEG/PNG/BMP/MPO), and listen to music (MP3/WMA/AAC/FLAC/ALAC/AIFF/OGG) saved on your Windows PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the TV via its Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi (wireless). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Note: For AllShare/DLNA, Windows PCs with XP and Vista installed require Samsung's PC Share Manager software, which can be downloaded for free from the Samsung Download Center. Not compatible with older Windows OS versions and Mac.
Triple USB Ports: The television is equipped with three USB (type-A) ports - two USB 2.0 ports on the One Connect Mini and one USB 3.0 port on the TV. The two USB 2.0 ports (5V/1A) are used for connecting a USB mass-storage-class device or a USB hard-disk drive (HDD) to the TV. The USB 3.0 port (5V/1A) can be used to connect a USB hard-disk-drive for playback of 4K video or used to connect a TV camera or keyboard/mouse from Samsung. The USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports let you view photo and movie files, as well as listen to audio files saved on a compatible USB device. Files must be formatted in FAT, exFAT, or NTFS. The TV can recognize up to 1,000 files per folder.
- Video Playback: The TV supports the following video file types; AVI, Divx, H.264, MPEG, MKV, MOV, and WMV. Movie files are displayed in a folder and title list in either date or alphabetical order. The TV offers Play, Pause, Search, and Resume playback functions for compatible video files stored on a compatible USB device.
- Still Image Playback: The TV supports the following still image file types; JPEG, PNG, BMP, or MPO. Still image files can be viewed as a slide show with background music or as a thumbnail view (up to 15 images). Still images can also viewed full-screen and zoomed or rotated.
- Audio Playback: The TV supports music files supports the following music file types; MP3, WMA, AAC, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, and OGG. Music files are displayed in a folder and track list, and can be sorted by Artist, Album, or Genre. Music files can be repeated or shuffled in a selected folder.
Firmware/Software Updates: The television's Software Upgrade menu allows you to upgrade the TV's software & firmware for performance improvements & additional services. You can upgrade in four ways; USB, Internet, Alternative Software, or Standby Mode. Visit the Samsung Download Center for the latest Firmware/Software updates.
Smart Hub Powered by Tizen: The TV's Smart Hub has been redesigned and now uses the Tizen operating system; a standardized open-source platform enabling flexibility with even more content and devices. Samsung's platform powered by Tizen allows Samsung Smart TVs to become part of a much larger content ecosystem and allows easy collaboration with diverse partners for ultimate flexibility and unparalleled access. The redesigned Smart Hub enables easy navigation and quick access. The new Smart Hub features easy access to content with the first screen displaying the your most recent content and featured recommendations for even more entertainment options. Smart Hub offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and network apps.
- Universal Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows & movies across platforms, like over-the-air broadcasts and available online providers.
- S-Recommendations: Receive personalized TV and movie recommendations based on your own preferences and what's popular and trending. You can display program recommendation for different times of the day.
- App Categories: You are able to easily view and select from the Most Popular, Featured, and Newest apps so you always know what apps are trending. "My Apps" & "Recents" contain your most popular and most recently selected applications, so you can easily return to them later. You can also simply search by categories such Video, Sports, Games, Lifestyle, News, Kids, etc.
- Favorite Channels: You can designate frequently watched channels as "Favorites". You can create up to 5 favorite channel list for each member of your family. You can also rename and edit favorite channel lists.
- Schedule Manager: Using this function, you can set the TV to display a desired channel automatically on a day and at a time of your choice. The Schedule Manager can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun.
Instant On & Quick Connect: This Samsung UHD TV turns on 4x faster than previous models with Instant On, so you can quickly begin browsing apps or watching your favorite movies, sports, or shows. With Quick Connect, Samsung UHD TVs automatically recognize Samsung smartphones once paired via BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) technology, so you can share video content from your Samsung smartphone to your Samsung TV or watch TV programs through your mobile device.
DIRECTV 4K Ready: This Samsung television is RVU-compatible which means DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can watch live broadcast (up to 4K) and stored content (up to 4K) from their DVR on the Samsung TV, without the need for an additional Genie Mini Client devices or set-top boxes. However, you will need a DECA unit (sold separately) that converts Coax to Ethernet, which will plug into the Samsung TV's LAN port. Make sure the television has the latest firmware update.
Security: The Samsung UHD TV offers several security features to protect TV, your connected equipment, & family.
- Smart Security: When any device is connected to the Internet, it is vulnerable to hacks and malicious code. Samsung Smart Security protects the TV and storage media connected to the TV from such threats, when the television is connected to the Internet.
- Password Lock: You can setup up a 4-digit PIN to lock out specific channels, TV settings, and reset procedure.
- Program Rating Lock: The Program Rating Lock feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children. You can block TV program based on their ratings and Movies based on their MPAA rating, so you have more control over what your children watch. The Program Rating Lock function is protected by a 4-digit PIN.
Hearing & Visually Impaired: The Samsung UHD series TV offers Close Captions and an Audio Guide for the hearing and visually impaired. The TV provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size. The Caption feature does not work for Component and HDMI input sources. Activate the Audio Guide for the visually impaired; this is only available with broadcasts that provide this service.
ECO Settings: The Samsung UHD TV provides ECO settings to reduce the TV's power consumption and cut-down on energy costs.
- Eco Sensor: Samsung's unique Eco light sensor measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you energy.
- Energy Saver: This feature adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to High, Medium, Low, or Picture Off (sound remains on).
- No Signal Standby: The TV will automatically switch to standby mode, if no picture is being received for a predetermined set amount of time (15, 30, or 60 minutes).
- Auto Power Off: The TV will be automatically turn off after 4 hours of being left idle to prevent overheating.
Timers: The Samsung UHD TV offers several timer options for your convenience.
- Alarm Briefing: Now you can wake up with your Samsung Smart TV. Samsung Smart TVs now act as an alarm, and sync up with Samsung mobile devices, to turn on and display important items such as the time, weather and your schedule on a large screen to set you up for the day ahead.
- On/Off Timer: The three On/Off timers allow you to program the television to turn itself on and off by selecting a specific on time and a specific off time. An On/off timer can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun. You can also choose the On Timer's content (TV, USB, or Antenna) and volume. The on and off timers work independently of one another.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minutes.
- Auto Protection Time: If the screen remains idle with a still image for a certain period of time (2, 4, 8, 10 hours) defined by the user, the TV's built-in screen saver is activated to prevent the formation of host images on the screen.
Remote Support + Self Diagnosis: The Samsung Remote Support service offers you one-on-one support with a Samsung Technician who can remotely diagnose your TV, adjust the TV settings, perform a factory reset, and install recommended firmware updates. Your TV must be connected to your homes wired or wireless network. The Samsung UHD TV also provides a Self Diagnosis menu which allows you to check the television for picture, sound, and signal problems.
- Picture Test: Use to check for picture problems. If the problem appears in the test picture, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Sound Test: Use the built-in melody sound to check for sound problems. If the problem occurs during the test, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Signal Test: An HD digital channel's reception quality is either perfect or the channels are unavailable. Adjust your antenna to increase signal strength.
Note: The television only comes with a brief User Manual. A complete instruction manual is built-in into the TV and can be viewed on-screen. Open the e-Manual to learn how to use the TV's many features.
Smart Touch Remote Control: The new Samsung Smart Touch Remote Control makes it even easier to navigate the television's entertainment sources, menu settings, and Smart TV features. Improved user convenience has been provided so that you can switch the channel and adjust the volume with ease while focusing on the TV screen. Simply use the remote's arrow keys and enter button to navigate menus quickly, perform voice commands with the built-in microphone, or use the remote like a mouse and simply point and click on your selection on screen. You can even activate a virtual on-screen remote controller (w/ numeric keypad, playback controls, and shortcut menu) on the TV which can be operated through the remote's arrow keys or pointer. Because the Smart Touch Remote communicates with the TV through wireless Bluetooth communication, it will need to be initially paired with the TV. This means you don't have to point the remote directly at the TV.
- Voice Control: Using the Smart TV Remote's built-in
microphone and the voice control function of the TV, your voice is all you
need to turn on/off the Samsung television, navigate menus, and get to your
favorite Smart TV content. You can even use only your voice to switch the
channel, adjust the volume level, and launch online apps while focusing on
the TV screen, which removes the need for a conventional remote control.
There are two voice control modes to choose from:
- Interactive Voice Control: Interactive voice control lets you give "conversational" instructions to the TV. You can execute various functions using common voice commands without having to remember specific keywords.
- Imperative Voice Control: Imperative voice control requires you to use pre-defined commands. "Trigger Words" can be displayed on-screen to use during voice control to help you know what to say.
- Programmable: The remote also operates via IR can be programmed to control satellite/cable boxes, Blu-ray players, and home theaters from other manufactures using the TV's remote setup menu.
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): This TV is enabled with Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC); a feature that makes it possible to control HDMI-connected Samsung and other HDMI-CEC compliant external devices connected to the TV with ease. With Anynet+, you can use the TV remote control to operate all your compatible Samsung Anynet+ and HDMI-CEC devices that are connected to the TV via HDMI. Anynet+ can control up to 12 compatible external devices (up to 3 of the same type).
Notes: The television is also equipped with a 5-way "joy stick" like button on the rear-panel that lets you control the TV without the remote control.
SmartView Mobile App: You can download the Samsung SmartView mobile app (from the App Store or GooglePlay) onto to your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (4.0.3+) device for yet another way to control the Samsung UHD series LED-LCD TV. If both your Apple iOS or Android device and TV are connected to the same wireless network, your smartphone or tablet will link to the TV automatically where you can use your mobile device like a remote control. The TV can also transfer live feeds to your smartphone or tablet. Main features include:
- Remote: Your Apple iOS or Android device can work as remote for the Samsung TV and a connected Samsung Blu-ray player or home theater system.
- TV View: Enjoy TV and other multimedia right from your Apple iOS or Android device that's connected to the Samsung Smart TV. You can watch the same content as on the TV or different content from another input source.
Note: If you have an Android (4.1.2+) smartphone or tablet, you can download the SmartView app automatically to the device via NFC (Near Field Communication). Simply put the mobile device near the NFC logo on the battery cover of the Samsung Smart Touch Remote Control.
Keyboard & Mouse Compatible: The Samsung UHD series LED-LCD TV will support a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately), which makes web browsing a lot easier.
Pedestal Stand: The TV comes with a pedestal stand. The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached. The television weighs 61.9 lbs with the stand. This stand does not swivel.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is 400mm (h) x 400mm (v). The threaded inserts require M8 (8mm) machine screws (not supplied). The television weighs 52.6 lbs without the stand.
Ventilation Clearance: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Samsung UHD series LED-LCD TV comes with a 5' detachable AC power cord. The AC power cord is fitted with a right-angle AC plug that sits 0.9375" from the wall.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked